Your Top Ten Movies All Time

The Beach, was more or less a hollywood mainstream flick with Leonardo Decaprio in the lead role. Leo and a French couple on vacation in the south Atlantic find a map leading to a secluded, beautiful beach – to which the three of them set out to explore. The beach is incredible; there is a whole private community there, which has turned its back on the world; they grow their own crops, pot, and live in “paradise.” That is, until jelousy, envy, power, and a few other things go wrong which leads to the ostracizing of Leo, and a re-evaluation of what “paradise” really is. It’s also an interesting look at human nature.

I was in my mid-teens when I saw this film, but really enjoyed it – and still think it’s a worthwhile movie to see. Not a classic, but a good movie nevertheless.

Yeah it really is… the book is amazing.

No particular order, but here they are:

M
Casablanca
Rope
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Marriage of Maria Braun
Rashomon
Reservoir Dogs
The Big Lebowski
Stalag 17
Magnolia

One of, if not my favorite movie. Fantastic music (among other things)

Definately Tom Cruise’s best performance.

Tom Cruise’s best performance is in Top Gun, surely? Homoerotica city!

I think the Marriage of Maria Braun is a good movie, but not the best. I think Fassbinder had very strong ideas and conveyes them excellently, but basic things like poor editing detracted from an otherwise excellent movie.

Okay Gobbo, I’ll race you to 2000.

(Just an excuse to get one more post)

LoL

Movies

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. Blade Runner
  3. Andrei Rublev
  4. A Chinese Odyssey
  5. Wuthering Heights (1939)
  6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  7. L’ Aventura
  8. Fist of the White Lotus
  9. Il Gattopardo
  10. Any Zatoichi movie

Directors

1.Kurasowa
[noticeable gap]
2.Tarkovsky
3.Hitchcock
4.Visconti
5.Kubrick
6.Antonioni
7.Polanski
8.Lean
9.Melville
10.Lynch

Dunamis

1. Fight Club
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Forrest Gump
  4. Terminator 2
  5. The Matrix
  6. True Lies
  7. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
  8. Wings of Desire
  9. Stalingrad
  10. The Fifth Element
  11. The Usual Suspects
  12. Starship Troopers
  13. Full Metal Jacket
  14. Groundhog Day
  15. Snatch
  16. The Blues Brothers (original)
  17. Gattaca
  18. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  19. Star Wars Episode V & VI
  20. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  21. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  22. The Royal Tenenbaums
  23. Zoolander
  24. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
  25. Eyes Wide Shut

James,

A few off the cuff responses:

1. Fight Club – lame twist, great fight scenes
  2. Pulp Fiction – nice energy
  3. Forrest Gump – missed it, Tom Hanks annoys me
  4. Terminator 2 – fucking great, should have put it on my list
  5. The Matrix – tick below T2
  6. True Lies – much better than I thought it would be
  7. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon – awesome on many levels
  8. Wings of Desire – great images and ideas, but how can Peter Falk be the lead in a top 10 movie
  9. Stalingrad – haven’t seen it
  10. The Fifth Element – Mila is great, even hotter in The Messenger
  11. The Usual Suspects – great ending man
  12. Starship Troopers – pretty good, funny – perhaps RoboCop was more and better of the same
  13. Full Metal Jacket – over rated; one good scene
  14. Groundhog Day – funny as hell, but not that funny
  15. Snatch – underrated, great pace and humor
  16. The Blues Brothers (original) – classic, but perhaps a bit too classic
  17. Gattaca – nice, cool withdrawn colors and tone. But it seemed an art director filmed it
  18. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade – damn another great one I missed, but you put 25 down
  19. Star Wars Episode V & VI - awesome
  20. 2001: A Space Odyssey – way ahead of its time – and every time
  21. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – brilliant, brilliant, brilliant
  22. The Royal Tenenbaums – totally overrated, but great cast
  23. Zoolander – totally underrated (and lame at the same time); hilarious
  24. Aguirre: The Wrath of God – the documentary of its making “My Best Fiend” was even better
  25. Eyes Wide Shut – totally over-rated. No one realized it was a satire.

Dunamis

Such a classic movie… the product placment could be considered as in the top 5 of all time. Such a funny film.

Should be higher… just my opinion.

As well, Muholland Drive should be on the movie list… that film is utterly brilliant.

D.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The twist in Fight Club did not strike me as lame, although this does not mean that it wasn’t somewhat predictable. For me it was no better or worse than the twist in The Sixth Sense, except the rest of the movie was much better.

This was one I only saw recently, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Better than Apocalyse Now or Platoon, in my books. Robert Goran is fantastic. The dialogue was very sharp for the most.

Yeah I get a sense of this; which is why it isn’t higher on the list.

Well I was not exposed to its ‘rating’ beforehand, so didn’t know what to expect. I really appreciated the sense of humor.

Well I can see how it might be a satire, though I must say it inspired a certain foreboding even when I was tempted to smile or laugh. There was just something disturbing about it, something that was almost absurd, and which kept me in tension. The whole film was on an edge, hinting at something. When I think about the film, I keep remembering that expression on Tom Cruise’s face, with that bloody piano note ringing out; he had this suspicious look, like he was unsure whether to laugh or not. If you want to call the film a satire, then I think you need to keep in mind the ambiguity of that look; that near craziness which crept up in his eyes as he was progressively taken out of his comfort zone, his sense of order and norm. It seemed on the brink of releasing something almost animalistic in him. I loved how the sense of the movie as a whole was caught up in that ambivalence and that hesitancy.

Regards,

James

O.G.

Such a classic movie… the product placment could be considered as in the top 5 of all time.

This is a very funny line. :slight_smile:

Should be higher… just my opinion.

It’s strange. I felt that, but I also felt that he should be dropped out the list, as his films seem private pleasure which I peek into, and in that way a bit adolescent, and maybe a film should be more. Also he doesn’t make enough of them, or move on to new and different levels. That being said, Dune was very underrated and distinct.

Dunamis

James,

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The twist in Fight Club did not strike me as lame, although this does not mean that it wasn’t somewhat predictable. For me it was no better or worse than the twist in The Sixth Sense, except the rest of the movie was much better.

You compare one lame twist with an even lamer one. We might as well throw the Crying Game in there :slight_smile:

Better than Apocalyse Now or Platoon

Agreed. Maybe try The Deer Hunter. I’ll confess that I’m not a fan of Vietnam War movies. Rambo might have been the best. :slight_smile:

I really appreciated the sense of humor.

Don’t you think his other movies, Rushmore and even his last The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou one, was in my opinion better/funnier.

Dunamis

I think it’s an excellent movie and underrated by many. It overrated as erotica, there’s nothing in the movie that hasn’t been seen elsewhere but underrated as a comedy.

The scene when Cruise is awkwardly negotiating with the (unrealistically beautiful) prostitute is hilarious.

Cruise: So, should we talk about money…?
Hooker: That depends on what you wanna do… What do you wanna do?
Cruise: I don’t know… What do you recommend?

Note also the absurd way that every female (including Milic’s daughter) in the film is gorgeous. The proliferation of Christmas lights, the overly rich colouring (especially in the marital bedroom where the couple get stoned and Kidman delivers that chilling monologue where she slices through Cruise’s ego like an iceberg through a ship) and the fact that most of the story takes place at nighttime all produce a fantastical quality, brought down to earth by the final line where Kidman says that Cruise and herself need, above all else, to go home and fuck. If Kubrick hadn’t intended for the movie to leave a smile on our faces then why choose such an inappropriately coarse final gag?

Edit - the piano does get on my nerves.

Well, for Muholland Drive I felt like I was rather having HIM show ME something… when it ended I literally sat there for an hour and tried to figure it out… so at least for that one I found it more of an interactive experience… rather than a passive ‘look at the nice shots’ type of thing. I can’t really remember Lost Highway that much… but Dune was really good. You’re right though… he doesn’t make enough films.

(man… I really need to watch a Kurasowa movie)

I feel like I have been in a bubble all these years and rarely sit down to watch a movie. I plan on renting some of the ones you mentioned.

Four Weddings and a Funeral
Pulp Fiction
Wuthering Heights
Top Gun
Uncle Buck
Amelie
A Man and a Woman
The Red Balloon
My Cousin Vinny
The Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
First Knight
Bridges of Madison County (I have lived it so… duh)
Princess Bride
Moonstruck
When Harry Met Sally
Body Heat

(if Dr. Satanical still thinks I am a boy after this list, I will plutz.)

4 Weddings? Dear oh Dear.

The best Hugh Grant vehicle is The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain

I don’t think that movie was so much about Hugh Grant, but about friendships, loyalty and true love. It spoke to me and I laughed all the way through it. Saying “Oh dear” seems disrepectful. Is your opinion of my favorite movie more important than mine? Hmmm. :unamused: