Your Top Ten Movies All Time

[quote=“tmminionman2”]

1. The Blues Brothers (original)
  2. Animal House
  3. Monty python’s 3 movies (meaning of life is the best)

Yes, they are in the collection.

[.quote]You humility shines through
[/quote]

I have only taken one film class, and do not insult others for liking different movies than I do. IMO, only #1 and 4 on your list are worthy of mention. Ever seen A Lion in Winter. This is one of the best scripted, best acted, best cinematography films ever made. How about Branaugh’s Henry IV, or Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia? What about Glory, Poltergeist, the list is huge. If you haven’t seen them, try.

Hum, the silent 20’s film. If so, it was well-done and had a potent meaning regarding industrialization.

Yes, I enjoyed Capricorn One, James Brolin was in it ??? Do not own it.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
[/quote]

Hum, never heard of Mean Streets and did not know Kaufman was Malkovich’s pseudonym. Love Malkovich. Did you see Dangerous Liasons with Glen Close? Great flick and is in the collection.

Hum, sounds familiar. Who was in it and what is the plot? :confused:

[.quote] My significant other loves the trilogy and it is in the collection.

Well acted, great music, and great cinamatography, somewhat historically inaccurate regarding the slaves.

African Queen too.

Big thumbs-up.

Big thumbs-up for the whole trilogy. Read the Hobbit and the trilogy as a child and named my first old English Sheep Dog Bilbo Baggins

My other half loves this.

Much too violent for me, but my son owns Resevoir Dogs and loves it.

Agreed, but what about Goodwill Hunting? I loved it.

To each his or her own.

Agreed.

What, no John Huston, David Lean, Sir Richard Attenboro?

Hum, any of you seen Gallipoli or Breaker Morant? Both outstanding Aussi films. Of course a young Mel Gibson in Gallipoli is not hard to look at. :sunglasses:

Hum the movie Sand Pebbles, Bullit, Tom Horn, comes to mind as well.

Never saw it, guess I should as I am living in a suburb of Sin City.

I’ll try for somewhat of an order, but I think I’m doing a top 20 list.
Here goes…

20 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
19 10 Things I Hate About You
18 Boondock Saints
17 True Romance
16 Taxi Driver
15 Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
14 Spider-Man 2
13 Sin City
12 Adaptation
11 American Beauty
10 The Breakfast Club
9 Heathers
8 Moulin Rouge
7 Indiana Jones trilogy (esp The Last Crusade)
6 Star War trilogy (origenal)
5 Pulp Fiction
4 Fight Club
3 The Princess Bride
2 Mononoke Hime

And my no. 1 favorite movie of all time is…
1 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi aka Spirited Away

Top ten Directors

10 Stephen Chow
9 John Woo
8 Quentin Terrentino
7 Yimou Zhang
6 Robert Rodriguez
5 Sam Raimi
4 Alfred Hitchcock
3 Martin Scorcese
2 Hoyao Miyazaki
1 Akira Kurosawa

Sagesound wrote:

I have no intention of shutting him out. I would agree that that is one of the best sequels ever, but I still like the original better. Although the little bit of added knowledge that in the chestbursting scene only Scott and Hurt knew what was going to happen. All the reactions are real. Cameron is good, but he doesn’t make my top ten, probably around 13-15 somewhere.
Thirst wrote:

American Beauty because the bitter irony and total mid-life crisis kinda feeling got to me at the time. It was mostly timing, but its stuck with me. Its just one of those movies that happened at the right place and time.

As for Hero vs. House, I really liked both. House came very close. I liked Hero more because I’m kind of an art freak and it was prettier. Plus, I liked the storytelling method in it very much, which I can understand if others don’t. House had a couple things I didn’t like as much, but I liked the overall story better. It may end up in the top ten at some point.

For aspacia,
I would recommend seeing Mulholland Drive. I liked it, but it can be weird. There’s a tip to watching it according to my friend, but I think you should just see it and see what you think first.

Yeah, Poltergeist was good, but didn’t strike me the same way Alien did, but would still be in the top 50 somwhere for sure.

Oh yeah, Time Bandits was great for that awesome goofiness/kid appeal to it.

I think that Gladiator definitely was supported by its soundtrack. Everything was so appropriate. And it drove the scenes without interfering. I’ve liked all of Hans Zimmer soundtrack work that i’ve heard.

I did like the Mag. Seven, but I will always like Seven Samurai better. It was the first epicly long movie I ever saw and I never got bored. Kurosawa invented so much of the cinematography we use now. He was a master of simplicity and honest movie work.

Sin City makes my list because I had read the comics and loved them. Frank Miller should be proud. He helped turn that into all that I read and that very seldom happens. To have a movie live up to its source material is something we’re losing the ability to do I think.

Perhaps. But you have to admit there have been an awful lot of recent movies in these ‘top 10 of all time’ lists…

I loathe Branagh, I thought Lawrence of Arabia was nothing more than an epic, it might as well have been Troy, Spartacus or Gladiator. None of which impressed me other than visually.

It’s certainly a greater accomplishment than American Pie.

As was OJ Simpson.

Kaufmann is the screenwriter, he isn’t a pseudonym for Malkovich. I have seen Dangerous Liasons, but I don’t remember it too well. Mean Streets was Scorcese’s first gangster movie and stars a very, very young Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro, as well as some other actors who have become staples of the ganster genre.

Has anyone here seen the adaptation of Brave New World from the late 90s, starring Leonard Nimoy?

Is it still called Brave New World? If so, how much on par is it with the original novel? That book is so cool, Huxley has to have been a seer or something…

Yep, it retains the title, the story and the characters (Marx etc.) of the original book. It’s a bit low budget, so some of the sets look slightly naff, but everything else about it is very good in my view. The savage quoting Shakespeare (Caliban, of course) is well handled, though I would have liked to have seen a somacam.

I can recommend it.

I want to thank you all about the recommendation of “The Shawshank Redemption” and to add it to my top 10 favourite movies list. It made me really appreciate my freedom, my hope and my faith.

“Lord of War” sucked beyond all recognition. What a terrible come-back for Nicholas Cage.

I like Cage, but I think Hollywood thought he was cooler than he really was, and so set him up with a character that required more than he could give. He just didn’t make a good black-market arms dealer. And the co-stars were nobodys, which made Cage look even worse.

I gave it two thumbs down.

plus Nickolas Cage looks like a horse, but the best all-time movie EVER made it

Black Hawk Down

Con Air

Cage plays an invincible hick who has been wrongly jailed

‘Put the bunny back in the box’

ya, thats a ok movie but when TNT plays it every other day it get old
and i dont like the end either, i wanted someone to get shanked, like that pilot

Top Ten Movies That I Enjoyed The Most (May Not Be Classics)*

Pulp Fiction
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
American History X
Good Will Hunting
Trainspotting
American Beauty
Sin City
City Of God

[size=75]*Note that there’s still a list of movies that I must see that could very well take this list.[/size]

The ending actually gave me the shivers… and I guessed/knew what would happen!

wicked movie… Kevin Spacey is an acting god.

I’ll drink to that!