Your Top Ten Movies All Time

Obviously we disagree…

However I would still urge you to check out the matrix 2 again… skip all the fighting scenes and see what remains, if you still contend it’s ignorant and unoriginal I guess I’ll have to live with that… but I just… can’t agree with that critique. Also… have you seen the animatrix? it’s a great enforcer to the main storyline, also jammed full with philosophical ideas… (self realization for humans/robots, human nature, desire, etc). I haven’t seen as many movies as you (I’ve heard Pi is amazing though) but I suspect you might not have caught all there is to catch the first time through… I’ve seen the movie countless times and i still find things… the W bros attention to detail is incredible. Sure this may be their 1 trick pony… but I think this pony does it’s tricks extremely well (except for the 3rd movie).

Also… how do you guys feel about David Lynch? i think muholland drive is… a mindboggling genuis film.

Interesting idea. This is a LOT easier than trying to think of ten movies. My argument is with James Cameron mostly. Now don’t get me totally wrong, I think he’s a good director but I definitely wouldn’t put him in the top ten. He likes to add too much of his own fluff into the movies for me to get him up there too high (doesn’t help that I disagree with most of his fluff). And I agree that I would put Hitchcock in there, but I like his style.

Old Gobbo wrote:

David Lynch is a good director but I think his film style is too wacky to fit for most people. Mulholland Drive was good, and for tv, Twin Peaks was good (at least I thought), but both can be definitely hard to follow or make sense of, even for those who try. There’s just a different way you have to go into a Lynch movie to really get anything out of it.

As for my attempt at a top ten, here goes, but this is subject to change weekly.

1. Alien (yeah I’m weird)
  2. The Princess Bride
  3. Hero
  4. American Beauty
  5. Psycho
  6. Gladiator
  7. Full Metal Jacket
  8. Office Space
  9. Seven Samurai
  10. Sin City

Odd to most (if not all) of you I’m sure. But there you go.

Yeah that’s true…

Hero is an amazing movie btw… I prolly shoulda had it on my list

I’ve no objection to Milius, though Red Dawn is dreadful. I was never a fan of the Shawshank Redemption because it was predictable and took an age getting there. Not that I’ve any problem with slow story telling per se, I just found the Green Mile and S R to be a bit aimless and tedious.

How many Lang films have I seen? Half a dozen, most of which were after he went to work in America. I’d rank him above Mctiernan, but I’m not going to enter into a big argument right now.

It’s really interesting you mentioned Cameron, because one of the reasons I put him on the list is what he did with the Alien saga. Don’t get me wrong, Ridley Scott is a maker of masterpieces, and Alien sure stacks up there - which is why I said it was interesting you brought this up. However, Cameron took the idea Scott initiated and went further, more in-depth, and made a movie that made you proud to say: “sequels are better.” Of course, I don’t like all Cameron films, but the ones of his that I have watched displayed a creative and fun approach to movie-making. Like you said, he likes to add his own fluff into the movies. Sometimes this is a good thing, and sometimes not, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be shut out from getting noticed.

I actually thought Milius should be higher on that list, but there were others who actually directed more movies than he. Yes, Red Dawn is sad…

Darabont seems to never get the recognition he deserves, in my opinion.

I too will not sit here and argue either… mainly because it’s generally pointless being Lang and McTiernan are two different kinds of directors.

Hello F(r)iends,

Ugh! Another mention of “American Beauty.” Why? Why is this a top ten film for you?

Also, I think that “House of Flying Daggers” was a better all around film than “Hero” and that neither flick belongs amid the top 40 greatest of all time. But my specific problem with “Hero” is that despite its flawless cinematography and masterful choreography there was so little emotional appeal to Nameless…

-Thirst4MetalJackets(Full)

A Lion in Winter*****
Henry the V*****
Lawrence of Arabia*****
Casablanca
The Great Excape
Heat
The Hunt for Red October
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Caddy Shack
Jaws I

With many honorable mentions
Goodfellas
Most Star Wars
Wizard of Oz
Boudicea
To Catch a Thief
Gladiator

And many more.

Yes, I am remembering all my favorites, and big-time RIGHT regarding Devil’s Advocate. Great flick. It has been many years since w have gone to the movies as too many individuals believe they have been written into the script. Currently, I am in new digs and do not have a tube or DVD. If I like my new position, my other half will come out and bring the housefull furniture etc. Actually, I do not miss the television except for Sunday Morning.

Two great flicks and I have the Band of Brothers series. My other half agrees regarding Demi Moore. :smiley:

Cute flicks. My mother in-law gave me Pretty Woman for Christmas one year.

Chuckle, I forgot both of these and own both, but alas, they are in So. Cal. and I am in Nevada. Great movies.

[.quote]
Neither can I.

Hilarious flick, love Peter Sellers. How about the first Pink Panther? I loved it.

and I’ll recommend :
[/quote]

To each his or her own. :wink:

Yes, and I enjoyed the recent Star Wars. To each his or her own, right.

:sunglasses: Me too, he is hard to beat. Loved him in Heat too.

:smiley: Yes, great flick.

Love and own all of these. :smiley:

Yes, Veronica Guerin was well done. I love Young Frankenstein, and it is another in my collection.

Hum, Silkwood was well done too.

[.quote]Cute flicks.
[/quote]

Ditto.

Ditto, what about Ghost? I and my other half love Ghost, another in the collection.

Yes, another good flick in our collection.

Good movie, hum, based on They Kill Androids Don’t They. I probably messed up on the title, anyone remember it?

Hum, I am a huge Herbert fan and have read all his books; how did this flick not gain my notice???

The same occured with the movie Gettysberg, based on the book Killer Angels. The movie sucked, but the book was great. In contrast, Glory is one the best movies ever made. Why, the music and action scenes were well done. Most of this is great directing. For example, IMO, National Treasure sucked in spite of the great ideas, some great music, but it was not well put together, something was wrong, but I am not expert in movie making and could not put my finger on the problems.