Favourite Quotes

I saw this one recently, and it gave me a good chuckle.

“There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don’t.”

Don’t know who said this originally.

that is halarious

My computer science teacher in high school put that on the board the first day of class. You could tell which of us were truly nerds by our laughter. :laughing:

ridiculously, i never understood nietzsche’s most famous quotes.
‘if you gaze into the Abyss, the Abyss gazes into you.’
okay i gaze into hte abyss, yeah. then the abyss gazes into me… so??? uh huh?

‘one must have chaos in one to give birth to a dancing star’ (or something like that)
total no understanding of this.
i understand that he was in favuor of creation and dancing ala dionysus. but chaos? stars?
help please.

im not lazy… i did read TSZ over and over again and loved it. it just baffles me that these are the sentences i understand least, yet they are the most quoted lines. (or perhaps the apparent profoundity of the statements is why they’re quoted )

and

" I’ll brew them a devil’s potion."—HITLER

" He who does not posses power loses the right to life."—HITLER

“When there is allways biscuits in the tin, where is the fun in biscuits?”

• Gary from ‘Men Behaving Badly’ (UK sitcom)

“don’t think 'cos I understand, I care, don’t think 'cos I’m talking, we’re friends”

• SneakerPimps - 6 Underground

“The most valuable thing you can ever give is your time”

• Me (Although I’m sure others have said it before me)

" "

• Me again.

A frightening world
Is an interesting world to be in
In the forbidden city
Or on the roof of the world
Or at the receiving end
Of the nine o’clock news
However you put your mind to it
You can find fear where you choose

-Magazine, Because You’re Frightened

No feelings for anybody else
Except for myself… my beautiful self

-The Pistols, No Feelings

Certainly the principle of the Sophistic doctrine must lead to the possibility that the blindest and most dependent slave of his desires might yet be an excellent sophist, and, with keen understanding, trim and expound everything in favor of his coarse heart.

-Max Stirner, The Ego And It’s Own

“Self denial indulges the propensity to forego.” – Ambrose Bierce

“No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.” – Abraham Lincoln

“The nearest any of us can come to God is by loving the truth.”
~Buckminster Fuller

Reading through one of Polemarchus’ posts I couldn’t help myself from reading, rereading, and rerereading the following passage. So eloquent and exquisite was this passage that I had to post it here…

In reference to Wittgenstein:
“His many contradictions signal to me that he cared more for the truth than he cared to make a show of his steadfastness. Like a hound on a rabbit, if a man honestly follows the scent of truth there’s no reason to think the track leads invariably in one direction.” ~ Polemarchus

What’s your take?

"who is always looking after his own and yet does not count himself as the highest being, who serves only himself and at the same time always thinks he is serving a higher being, who knows nothing higher than himself and yet is infatuated about something higher."—Stirner

It is necessary to understand that war is common, strife is customary, and all things happen because of strife and necessity. – heraclitus

HVD talking with Magius about chess…

A definate lol moment.

MentulZen.

‘It is not your duty to complete the work, nor are you free to desist from it’
Pirkei Avot

‘Nothing concentrates a man’s mind more than to know he is to be hung in the morning’
Samuel Johnson

“Too much of too little, is a little too much.”
~Magius

“Don’t be too proud of this tecnological terror you have constructed. Your ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.”

“Your sad devotion to that ancient religion hasn’t helped you find the stolen data tapes. Or given you clarevoyance to find the rebol base–” The military dude starts chocking.
[size=150]
“I find your lack of faith, disturbing.” [/size]~
Darth Vader

The genius Herbert Spencer-

“I asked one of the members of Parliament whether a majority the House could legitimize murder. He said no. I asked him whether it could sanctify robbery. He thought not. But I could not make him see that if murder and robbery are intrinsically wrong, and not to be made right by the decisions of statesmen, then similarly all actions must be either right or wrong, apart from the authority of the law; and that if the right and wrong the law are not in harmony with this intrinsic right and wrong, the law itself is criminal.”

“The ultimate effects of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.”

“Though, by current maxims and usages, the English Government recognizes the right of property as sacred - though t infraction of it is considered by them one of the gravest crimes - though the laws profess to be so jealous of it as to punish even the stealing of a turnip; yet their legislators suspend at will. They take the money of citizens for any project ft choose to undertake; though such project was not in the least contemplated by those who gave them the authority – nay, though the greater part of the citizens from whom the money is taken had no share in giving them such authority. Each citizen can hold property only so long as the 654 deputies do not want it. It seemed to me that an exploded doctrine once current among them the “divine right of kings” had simply been changed into the divine right of Parliaments.”

“If, as we have seen in a large class of cases, government measures do not remedy the evils they aim at; if, in another large class, they make these evils worse instead of remedy them; and if, in a third large class, while curing some evils they entail others, and often greater ones; if, as we lately see, public action is continually outdone in efficiency by private action; and if, as just shown, private action is obliged to make up for the shortcomings of public action, even in fulfilling vital functions of the State; what reason is there for wish more public administrations? The advocates of such may claim credit for philanthropy, but not for wisdom; unless wisdom is shown by disregarding experience.”

Max Stirner-
“The state seeks to hinder every free activity by its censorship, its supervision, its police, and holds this hindering to be it duty, because it is in truth a duty of self-preservation. The State wants to make something out of a man, therefore there live in it only made men; everyone who wants to be his own self is its opponent.”

Kesh, those were REALLY good. Very thought provoking. Thank you.

Thank you
heres
his ‘man against state’ if your interested Magius, anyways good to here from ya :wink: Spencer is currently my favorite philosopher.

Although I wouldn’t call it one of my favorites, I do think it to be a quote many will enjoy…
“One tragic dimension of Socrates’ death is the loss of such a gadfly tester, a man capable of exposing the souls of his fellow citizens.”
Source: Teloh, H. (1975). A Vulgar and a Philosophical Test for Justice in Plato’s Republic. Southern Journal of Philosophy, 13, 507

What’s your take?