What are you doing? (Part 1)

Alright what about this change then. Does it work or sound too obscure? Too ‘this guys trying to be fusiony wtf kinda chord is that’?

Oops wrong one.

vocaroo.com/iOGDlhU6HK4

Not bad, but… then again, I’m no guitar expert.

You at least sound like you know what you’re doing, that much I can tell.

It could be argued that the sudden ‘key’(?) leap at the change is too abrupt. That chord does work with the others, but it should be transitioned into so it doesn’t disturb the melody with such suddenness.

It’s also not something that should be played more than twice. As a rule if you keep a guitar going for longer than two minutes, you need at least three major changes. If you don’t, you start sounding like one of those redundant rock guitarists on the radio following formulas for the allotted song time on the album. No, you don’t always have to drag it out for four minutes, you know. And if you do, please make it interesting. In other words don’t follow ZZTop’s example and base your whole career on three chords.

Probably a weights and Spring-cleaning day… not wantingly, but probably. :neutral_face:

They say quarantine is extended up to June here… June? I guess it will ensure total dissipation, but it’s the end of London life as we currently know it… for now. I’ll probably have the cleanest house ever, by then. :neutral_face:

Lol the ‘beat maker go’ app days. That thing was a lot of fun but I got burned out on it in like two weeks. I finally bought the pro version so I could get access to more sound sets… spent a few days writing everything there… and then suddenly stopped. I dunno. But ‘ollie’s street’, while one of my favorites, isn’t my greatest hit. Everybody seems to like ‘infra-red’ the most.

soundcloud.com/promethean75/infra-red

I listened to them all again and I still agree with myself. Ollie’s street is far exceptional, I can’t say it was a happy accident because it’s too sophisticated, the sound is unique from all the rest.

It could of easily been on an aphex twin album in his prime and I wouldn’t know. Even the name is spot on. It almost reminds me an electronic billie jean mixed with a cocktail on the dance floor. Its very smooth, seductive and upbeat.

Just went shopping and as I was grabbing the last loaf of bread an old woman behind me whimpered “ohhhh” because it was the last loaf on the shelf. She looked pretty feeble and sad so I went over to her and took the spread, butter and toilet paper out of her basket as she’d no longer be needing it. It’s a tough world out there. Take care of yourselves.

:laughing:

we never ended up making the video for ‘ollie’s street’ because of ideological and financial problems. though to give you an idea of what the video would have been like… think of the ‘bittersweet symphony’ video with the guy walking up the street with the camera in front of him. same thing, only we’d be filming sauwelios walking up an amsterdam street in the evening, just when the street-lights are beginning to cast shadows on the cobble stone street. he would be dressed in some kind of weird shit that looked like a cross between a jedi and an 18th century wild west gunfighter. he’s walking briskly to avoid the rain… which is coming, and as he walks he pulls up his collar around his neck. it’s cold, and he’s thinking about how to resolve strauss, nietzsche and lampert. the rain is picking up so he hastens his pace… but he stays with the beat of the song.

one of my contemporaries once said that it sounds/looks like a scene with tom cruise driving a convertible through the city at night… prolly on some kind of mission that’s impossible.

I had much the same thoughts.

You should think about selling the commercial license, it would fit well in a car, headphones, sneaker, suit attire, beard products, gel hair commercials etc many more.

I’d be interested to see how far that particular track can go.

I would also suggest you recall the equipment you used, sound bank, software, instruments and back engineer that particular track and delve deep into that general direction. It really is something else.

Was you taking any drugs when you made it?

Lol tapping the pandeiro along with that earlier guitar doodle. Yeah I’m shelter in place without a studio. So what of it? It’s the only drum I got. You have to make do with what you got, papito.

vocaroo.com/5ZZwV1QIQeJ

Hey but yo. I’ve been eyeing those electric kits with the four track recorders built in em. They start getting real good at around $700.
IMG_20200331_171855290_50_1_24.jpg

Uh oh found a few more obscure chords. Check it out.

vocaroo.com/7resjE7fWIq

I keep meaning to buy a drum box, but was overwhelmed when faced with so much choice of variety and brand… any recommendations on a general diverse option to buy?

I know nothing about them btw, so work from there forwards. :slight_smile:

There are countless to choose from, but you can also do it all on your phone. You don’t need to buy a device.

Everything on my SoundCloud page was made with this app.

There was a free version with ads popping up every five minutes, and a premium version I think for $10 or $20 that had no ads and many more sound sets.

Ok, but I’m looking to purchase the physical version… any pointers would be most helpful. After a bit of practice, I could hire myself out for gigs.

A buyer’s guide to cajons: youtube.com/watch?v=0rSQcQc5j8c something for me to occupy myself with tomorrow.

I’m so bored I’m in bed already… definitely a weights day tomorrow, as I’ve finally recovered from my last workout from 3 weeks ago… yes my recovery time is that dire. :neutral_face:

Magsj, whatever you buy, if you plan on actually writing and recording anything, look carefully at what you are buying because not everything can do that. Some electric beat box devices don’t have that capability.

Here’s an old ass video of me showing the beat maker go app dashboard: sendvid.com/987nvw99

Now you gotta think about this. If you are using the app on a tablet rather than a phone, the pads are much bigger.

See now you guys got me promoting my own shit. Nice. This was one of my favorite sound sets. It has some nice percussion instrument options and something like eight keyboard note options that you can blend together to make chords.

soundcloud.com/promethean75/moonlight-jazz

Here’s a question that couldn’t be easier: which of the three singers would you hear in this song.

1. David Lee Roth
  2. Donald Fagen
  3. Keith Sweat
  4. Miranda Lambert
  5. Rob Zombie

I’ll give you a hint. Because of the bodhisattva, he gonna sell his house in town.

The thing about those apps is it tries to shove all sound into one bar or two and just replays it over. No benefits of a time line. This is why your music lacks variation. Those app are an additional tool to music creation but shouldnt be the main platform.

If you like that hands on approach, you should get a 69 key keyboard midi controller and hook all the sound banks to it and work on a wider timeline. I use to do it, but havent done it in a while.

I might dig out some tracks tomorrow and post them

Oh no doubt. The stuff I made is very simplistic, so it shouldn’t be thought of as the best the app can do. I wasn’t using it to its full capacity because I didn’t know how. Still don’t, to be honest. But I’ve listened to good demos made with the app that sound awesome… like they were made in a full studio of instruments.