The American South

What do you think about the word “redneck”? It was once a designation of the men who plowed fields and found their necks parched by the Southern sun. it’s sung about nostalgically in country songs by those who have never faced the morning behind a mule’s ass and plow.

Redneck is problematic since it has racist connotations. However to me it is a term for any blue collar or lower class white man from
the South. So being one does not automatically mean that he is racist though he could be. But I try not to think of it as a racist term

:-k Which terms are derogatory or offensive towards white people?

You’re right. 2 wrongs make a right.

Sadly so

Between the Hollywood extremes of GWTW and Deliverance lies the true modern South. It has embraced all the yankee materialism, but still holds on to its dream of the past. The key word for understanding the mind of the South is nostalgia.
In this vein, the Civil War never ended.

duplicate

Perhaps also in a nostalgic view it never began. The South is caught in between of a few things , west coast, northern east coast, new , old , religion and politics . It may be the old trying to stay alive as foriegn cultures move in and making a loud embarrassing fuss over one wrong thing instead of handling it privately. I see so much good and that one wrong thing is the only thing that makes public notice. Neighbors feed neighbors, help each other, no matter what the skin color or religion. You show yourself to be community and you are helped, and after events like Katrina out here in the country even newcomers were helped. City , eeeh well not as much. Perhaps the south is melding slower then other places because one bad thing is the only thing the national public ever sees on the news. I dunno.

I’ve lived in both the North and the South. There is racism in the North. Also having lived in both the city and the country,
I do find the country folks to be more supportive of each other. In the city it’s every man for himself. I’d say Southern hospitality wanes as Southerners acquire urban ways of living.

It maybe city culture and urban culture clashing in the future.

let.rug.nl/usa/presidents/th … jefl35.php

Where is Statiktech? He lives in or around Atlanta if I recall correctly. Surely he could contribute something here.

As someone who was born and raised within a half hour or so of Chicago’s city limits have been been within a half hour of Chicago most of my life, I would say that I don’t really like the South that much. It doesn’t appeal to me a whole lot. Southerners seem too myopic. Not only do they have their specific way of talking, that sounds to me as if they are uneducated, goons, for some reason. I mean I know they’re not uneducated or stupid, they just sound stupid to me. But it does seem their entire culture is myopic, born in bias and bred in bias that doesn’t compete with the open mindedness of what the diversity of Chicago offers. There are peaceful, country parts, an hour away from me. Where people speak in Southern drawls. Where they call me “city folk”. Where they don’t like the “rat race” of where I live. Where they might even be scared to come to the city, it seems. Where they live, there are peaceful people, courteous people. I think that is much for the South as well. But I don’t get far with peace and courtesy as opposed to what I would say is a more interesting culture in the Chicago suburbs. For example, a neighboring city from where I live, Naperville, IL, is probably one of the best places to raise a family in the world. Yes it is affluent, but the people are very intelligent as well. We have corporate Headquarters in places like Oak Brook Illinois, with high end shopping, rampant. It’s a place of transcendence, to me at least, compared to the South. It may have something to do with money and money may have something to do with intelligence, and speaking proper English may have something to do with it all, but I couldn’t say that for many places in the South. I of course could be wrong.

Yeah, I live in Atlanta and have been in the south for most of my life. I’m not a huge fan. The city can be interesting, where the culture and people are more diverse. As you move out from the city, you basically hit suburbs full of yuppies and Baptist mega-churches. Further on out from that, things can get weird, like the place Reasonable described. Some of the cities further out are actually nice, small towns that have recently been built up so everything is relatively new. Most others are just dirty and forgotten hell holes. The pervasive culture in the outer cities is pretty antiquated - people are very religious, very conservative, and basically share the same values as their grandparents. The more dilapidated areas with low populations are the scary parts. They are like places that time forgot, where people seem content doing nothing with their lives.

Its the dirtiness that appeals to me. Amsterdam is pretty open minded and Montreal more so even, and I am.glad, I think, although David Lynch loved it, to not have grown up in a lottlw country town. But it has romance, that a big city doesnt haven.

I am in a bar underneath my appartment now from which I leech the internet, the waitress is cute.and always very sweet, the beer they brew themselves and the music is excellent - its just this p Quebequois that is not at all easy to get into. And they are a bit similar to Lys, unthat they think I am a lretty who has no real substance.
In the South theyll know better.

Statik, being from Atlanta, or living there, knowing it are.you able to speak these grimey accents of the syrup drinking hypnotic trap hiphop?

You mean like prescription cough syrup?

Mixed with battery acid and coca cola cherry or something

WHOSA YALL BELIEVE IN JESUS

That came out wrong.

In the modern, mostly politically conservative South, the things that inspire are Bible, flag and gun.