Nuclear Energy

I can’t help but share what I think is a very interesting excerpt from the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

“…the nuclear scientist will prepare the bed on which mankind will lie; and if mankind doesn’t fit - well, that will be just too bad for mankind.”

What’s everyones take on this?

I’d want to be a nuclear scientist then, so I could hook myself up with a California-King size.

It sounds like Huxley wants to make it fit.

well, i think nucleair energy can be a good thing if handled with extreme care…
one thing is certain, the present energy supplies come from fossil feuls mostly and those don’t fit … few people in the oil/gas/coal industry care about wheter it fits… nucleair scientists, as far as i can see… usually care more… of course, nucleair energy has a bad name, it scares people to have such a radiation source nearby, but it doesn’t seem to scare them that oil industry is slowly poisening this planet…

why don’t we just switch to sun panels? or geo-thermic energy? or water energy? or what else

I don’t want to be a scare monger, but nuclear energy may well have to be the primary energy source of the future. Oil stocks are more than half depleted (or so I’ve been told) and that only since the 1950’s! The ‘renewable energy’ sources (wind, solar, wave etc) are far too underdeveloped at the present time to make much of a dent in the energy needs of the planet. Not that nuclear energy necessarily has to be bad, but they are obvious targets for terrorists and the like.

that would be correct, also, it shouldn’t be scary… if done safely…
of course you’re right about the terrorist thing…

Saw that this morning. I’ve said it before…for all you want to talk about United and their international profile http://www.audio.h12.ru/, they really seem to do business the right way. I’m interested to see just how much Kenyon had to do with these results, so next year will be interesting.