"Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

asdfsdf

What did you wish to say?

It’s distracting and derailing that this thread degraded into a discussion about the legalization of marijuana because that isn’t a panacea for all things for all people, as some claim. And it isn’t legal right now for people who need help and solutions right now. Can we please get back to talking about how to treat people with mental illness?

How are things going with you Ierrellus? Have you found anything that is helping you?

I’m curious to know if changing some things has made any improvement. And I hope that you have tried some things to make you happier overall.

Sometimes just finding one thing that brings joy and peace to your world can help. In time of high anxiety, I listen to Ludovico Einaudi and my mind eases through his complex notes.

It is indeed such a panacea… Rob Melamade is a renowned scholar who backs such claims:
youtube.com/watch?v=n31Nuj_AvTg

I don’t get it… why does the Far right try to suppress marijuana, make it illegal?

Thanks for caring. I’ve found a decent poetry forum on the net. It helped me get back to reading, revising and writing poems. This activity does help with my depression. I used to write about 100 poems a year. Now it’s trickled down to two or three. But it’s a start back to what used to make me me. I can share poems with my therapist.

That is great news Ierrellus, I think that writing is a great way to express yourself. I’ve read some of your poetry and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have a journal I keep next to my bed, it’s a five year, five lines a day journal to get my writing exercise in. Sometimes it’s just thoughts for the day, sometimes it’s dreams I had and sometimes it’s poetry but it’s good practice. I think a poetry forum must be a nice place to visit.

Go to Poetry Soup.com. It’s a place for therapy in verse. It’s good also to keep a journal. Thanks for reading my poems.

can depression be prevented…I think so…you have to watch what you put in your mouth

There are degrees of depression. It would also depend on the individual.
Sometimes what helps is what goes into your mouth - like the right kinds of food. I hear blueberries help. :mrgreen: But really.
I think we also have to watch what comes out of our mouths - in the way of words, the way we speak. They may add to one’s own depression.
We also have to watch what comes into our ears and sometimes or very often steer clear of the negative - for instance, steer clear of the news media’s constant drumming of the same negative tragedies. Any psychiatrist I think would affirm that.

You also have to be mindful of where you walk, for instance in nature which gets those endorphins the brain moving happily. Walking is great. Giving ourselves time to have a good cleansing cry, but not too long, but just long enough to get those nasty toxins out of our bodies through our eyes.

Sometimes even in ilp it’s good to take a mini-vacation. Anger and frustration at what we read can sometimes bring one down to the point of putting one in the doldrums which isn’t necessarily depression but it can bring it on in some measure. Is it really worth it?
Alvin and the Chipmunks CDs are a great way to climb out of the doldrums. A good philosophy, science, history, historical novel, lol or wonderful murder mystery, believe it or not can be helpful.

Sometimes we do have some choice in the matter. But of course, for some, there isn’t a whole lot of choice but still some.

as well as what you put into your mind.

You know what pinkie pie says, giggle at the ghostie. I dont see why the news has to give you a bad day…how can you look at those babbling, biased bigot heads and not laugh?

From EA–“I cannot afford the luxury of a negative thought.”

Avoiding negative thoughts is a weakness. that is how you get PTSD, because you are a coward. You must accept the negative thoughts, let them rape you, and only then will you be free.

You cannot run from yourself so have to confront your demons sooner or later
Otherwise they will only grow stronger and may even destroy you in the end
But be careful when you stare into the abyss that you do not fall into it too

Thanks for the turkey. Happy thanksgiving. Apparently you have no knowledge of major depression.

duplicate

Apparently you are just a dick. I am beyond major depression. I am Major Depression. In fact, you should call me “the Major” for now.

Avoiding negative feelings might contribute to PTSD or depression. I say might, it’s too vague a rule to be useful. But avoiding negative thoughts is not going to create PTSD. But hey, let us know where you got this idea from.

If you are both struggling with depression, why call him names?

I’ve been called worse than a dick and a coward. No big deal. I just reacted to the flippant remark that avoiding the negative causes PTSD. If this is true I’d like to know the source of the information.