Footer stats; Majestic-12 & Bing users

@Carleas I miss the footer stats that would show which public usernames were logged in, how many were hidden, and included when Majestic-12 and Bing were online. And what was/is the story with that, anyway? Did the administrator (have to, as a requirement — of whom?) set that up? Are you the administrator who set that up? Did you create their accounts in cooperation with whoever is running them—why did they never post? What was/is the purpose of their accounts?

I also miss the stats that showed how many views a post has. Not that big of a deal, though.

I know there’s a plugin to show who’s online, but from what I have read it can cause problems with sites on modest hardware, as we are. Those issues may have been resolved, the most recent complaint i saw was a year or so old.

I’ll look into it, but no guarantees.

They were set up automatically by the software. I think that was a holdover from when whole-web crawlers were less common, and the thinking was that giving them accounts let you tailor how they saw the site, e.g. to influence search rankings.

We get tons of web crawlers now, but they don’t get accounts.

This is visible on the topic list.

Thank you. I can’t see it in the topic list, but maybe that’s because it’s only visible when using a desktop or laptop computer. I access from my phone, usually.

That’s interesting, because Bing Copilot (“owned” by Microsoft) is perty damn intelligent, and there’s this on Majestic 12:

I always found it funny that they named their web crawler after a conspiracy theory. Seems poorly thought out, but it started as one dude in his spare time.

It still visits regularly. In the past month, it’s the second most frequent crawler after claudebot (I assume that’s this Claude). Here are the top 10:

Bot Pageviews (past month)
claudebot 110658
MJ12bot 108074
Amazonbot 101856
DataForSeoBot 59307
YandexBot 31449
bingbot 26312
Bytespider 18442
SeekportBot 10751
magpie-crawler 7998
Barkrowler 7480
AwarioBot 6019