Celebrating Four Thousand Years Of World Religions.

I disagree, there is still plenty of venom to go around.

Only for the lunatics. You seem to be saying that’s true of all religion.

I’m spreading lunacy? Please explain.

Lunacy via fragmentation–complete neglect of a viable overview of religion.

What kind of viability are we talking about here exactly?

[b]When Religion And National Identity Collides:

“The founding document of the United States of America acknowledges the Lordship of Jesus Christ because we are a Christian nation.”- Pat Robertson[/b]

You seem to be content sniffing the asshole of world religions with no thought of the good that these religions have given us. I already mentioned universities as among such good. I would also mention Michelangelo and Da Vinci, Newton and Einstein, etc., etc. Doesn’t another side of your argument exist?

The way I look at it art, education, and science is separate from religion. At any rate this thread does not concern itself with religious influences in those fields in so much that this thread on the contrary is concerned with religious violence and also how religion is used as an instrument of tyranny historically. This thread seeks to explore this kind of history and ongoing global phenomena.

So you see no connection between religion and the birth of the United States? Christians and deists wrote the US constitution and Declaration of Independence.

Certainly there is a history that I cannot contest. We can agree on that point of history.

As far as I know however there is a separation of god and the state even though there are some rogue religious affiliations that still would like to see the United States become a Christian like theocracy.

I see your point about what you are trying to convey here; however, I feel that your op implies all world religions and their effects on humans, which is simply not the case. As for theocracy here, only fanatics desire that. There is so much more to religion going on these days than what your op agenda suggests.
I’d buy your disclaimer that this thread is about certain nefarious aspects of world religions and is not a total view of their influence on humans who espouse them. Can you allow this disclaimer?

Yes they did and within the Constitution specifically the First Amendment is enshrined the right of freedom from religion well as freedom of religion. They also believed in the separation of Church from State which prohibits the displaying of the Ten Commandments in any public building. Even though it is very much in
evidence within America to day and ironically in courts which are supposed to uphold the Constitution not violate it. The Founding Fathers were predominantly Christian but they were secularists as well who believed that no one religion should be given preferential treatment over all others. The principle of secularism
is one many American atheists agree with but not it seems as many American Christians. This makes me wonder how many of the latter actually know what the
Founding Fathers believed in and / or what the First Amendment says

True.

Newton s major achievements [ the formulation of gravity / the discovery of the property of light / the invention of calculus ]
were scientific and had absolutely nothing to do with religion. And although he was nominally a Christian he was not a regular
churchgoer and did not believe in the Holy Trinity which would have him marked as a heretic. An offence punishable by death

Same with Einstein. His major achievements [ special / general relativity ] were scientific and had absolutely nothing to do with
religion either. He was born a Jew but he did not believe in God. Though he identified more with pantheism rather than atheism
and saw beauty in nature. His famous quote God does not play dice was purely metaphorical not evidence of his belief in a deity

I second that point as well by Surreptitious.

So, as you would have it, 4,000 years of world religions are best described by such as Jim Jones and there is no religious heritage that helped ameliorate the human condition?
It amazes me that so many can pick one aspect of a personality, say of a scientist, and bifurcate it from a total personality that included religious beliefs.

My theory is that the origins of all governments can be found in religion and as such religion is all about controlling people along with implementing tyranny through various fictional abstractions of authority. [Which is basically the same modus operandi for government as well.]

While I agree that governments may have origins in religion, this does not amount to a wholesale indictment of all religions or governments.

Explain.