Good News of the Kingdom

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Good News of the Kingdom

Postby Sculptor » Sat May 28, 2022 1:29 pm

Bob wrote:Whatever you choose to call yourself, Christian or not, I hope you will aspire to be a humble human being ... religiously. Religiously, as I’m using the term, means with a sense of the sacredness of everything and a commitment to reconsecrate everything.
—Brian McLaren

McLaren's ego is so big, you can't see the lies.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Sun May 29, 2022 12:45 pm

Sculptor wrote:
Bob wrote:Whatever you choose to call yourself, Christian or not, I hope you will aspire to be a humble human being ... religiously. Religiously, as I’m using the term, means with a sense of the sacredness of everything and a commitment to reconsecrate everything.
—Brian McLaren

McLaren's ego is so big, you can't see the lies.[/quote
Sculptor---what kind of rebuttal is that? Where are the lies? And do you know McLaren personally to be able to comment on his ego?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:24 pm

updated. link in OP.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm

—Brian McLaren

I would not use the term "religiously" here. It does not really embrace the words and the meaning you have given.

A far better word to use would be Reverently or with much Reverence.
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm

—Brian McLaren

I would not use the term "religiously" here. It does not really embrace the words and the meaning you have given.

A far better word to use would be Reverently or with much Reverence.

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:38 pm

hiccup

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:04 pm

Fixed:

No one has ever been up to Heaven except the Son of Man who came down from Heaven. The Son of Man was lifted above the heads of all people - as Moses lifted up that serpent in the desert - so that anyone who believes in him may have eternal life. I tell you truly that unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains a single grain of wheat; but if it does, it brings a good harvest; and where I am, my servant will also be. I had to undergo a baptism, and how strained I was until it was over! It is fire that I came to bring upon the earth - it is now ablaze! As for me, as I was lifted up from the earth, I draw all people to myself.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:07 pm

Fixed:

Think of the ravens. They neither sow nor reap, and they have neither store nor barn, but your Heavenly Father feeds them. And how much more valuable do you think you are than birds? Can any of you make yourself an inch taller however much you worry about it? And if you can't manage a little thing like this, why do you worry about anything else? Think of the wild flowers, and how they neither work nor weave. Yet I tell you that Solomon in all his glory was never arrayed like one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which flowers in the field today and is burnt in the stove tomorrow, is he not much more likely to clothe you, you little-faiths? Don't be afraid, you tiny flock! Your Father plans to give you the kingdom.

The market price of five sparrows is two farthings, isn't it? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God's sight. Not a single sparrow falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge. Why, the very hairs of your heads are all numbered! Never be afraid; you are worth more than a great many sparrows! Don't worry at all then about tomorrow. Tomorrow can take care of itself! One day's trouble is enough for one day.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:28 pm

Fixed:

…Yes, alas for you Pharisees, who love the front seats in the synagogues and having others bow down to you in public and greet you with respect and call you "rabbi" while all the time you are battening on widow's property and covering it up with long prayers.

It is true that I have given you the power to tread on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the enemy's power - there is nothing at all that can do you any harm. Yet it is not your power over evil spirits which should give such joy, but the fact that your names are written in Heaven. Yes, but a far greater blessing to hear the word of God and obey it.

So when you pray, …

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:38 pm

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:51 pm

You have heard that it was said to the people in the old days, "You shall not commit adultery”. But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman or man lustfully has already committed adultery with them in their heart. Yes indeed, if your own right eye or right hand or foot leads you astray and is a hindrance that spoils your faith, you must pluck it out or cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to go into or through life, the kingdom of God, one-eyed, maimed or crippled and lose one of your members than to keep both eyes, and both hands, and both feet and your whole body be thrown onto the rubbish heap, the everlasting fire, where "their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched”.

It also used to be said that "Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce". It was because you knew so little of the meaning of love that Moses allowed you to divorce your wives! But that was not the original principle. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife on any grounds, except her unfaithfulness, and marries some other woman, makes her an adulteress and commits adultery. And whoever marries the woman who has been divorced also commits adultery. And if she herself divorces her husband and marries someone else, she commits adultery.

But from the beginning of the creation, God "made them male and female". "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." So that in body they are no longer two separate people but one. That is why man must never separate what God has joined together.

It is not everybody who can live up to this, only those who have a special gift. For some are incapable of marriage from birth, some are made incapable by the action of others, and some have made themselves so for the sake of the kingdom of Heaven. Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?

The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. But those who are considered worthy of taking part in the age to come when the dead rise in the resurrection, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven, and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. As for this matter that the dead are raised, have you never read in the book of Moses what he showed to be true in the passage about the bush, when he calls the Lord what was once said to you by God himself: "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob”? For God is not God of the dead, but of the living. For all people are alive to him. Let the one who can accept what I have said accept it.

Added paragraph break before final paragraph so no confusion that he’s suggesting anyone stay single (in this age), as Paul suggested (was not a command). Jesus’ point is, “Doing marriage right the first time is not for everyone—it requires a special gift. If you think it’s impossible to do it right the first time, you don’t know the power of God, and besides that, once this age is over, this sort of marriage is going to be a dead issue.”

Pretty ponderous.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:46 am

Added audio link to transcript linked in OP:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11zhi0D ... p=drivesdk

Can you do it better?

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:18 am

even though Jesus sounds just like Plato’s Republic in a lot of ways, here is one way you know he is not “Hellenized“
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... erface=amp

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality