For the love of God!

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: For the love of God!

Postby MagsJ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:30 pm

Bob wrote:
MagsJ wrote:_
Re: Love Ontology
Postby MagsJ » Thu 30 Dec, 2021 16:55

Is there anything worse than dying, thinking that you were never loved?

An obscure benevolent love, would be preferable in that circumstance, I’d imagine.

We cannot be there for All.. heck! we cannot even be there for Ourselves at times.. and even when we are loved, it might be from such a small minority that it becomes insignificant, outweighed by the capricious malevolence of the masses/Yakshas.

I share your sentiment. One aspect of organised religion that threw me, after having taken up nursing (at 38!) because of a feeling I was called to it by faith, was the callousness that I found present in opinions in and around the church, and of course reading history, where it became clear where the church I was attending came from, and what it had done in the past. I couldn't understand (I still can't) how a message of love could be misconstrued to want to kill people for not having the right faith.

In the end, I realised it was about minorities standing up for values that make the world a better place. I remember starting in nursing in a class that professed to have that in mind and additionally took to greeting people in the street with a smile, tipping waiters, helping elderly people, and of course making nursing about caring. When I retired, I realised that many of the younger generation didn't share my aspirations, and I, along with others that thought similarly, was a bit of freak.

At no time did I think of myself as something better, but as one representative of a mindset that anyone could identify with - if they wanted to. In fact, it was sometimes annoying to hear people say I was different to others in the trade, since I had many people agree with me, but then apparently many went and acted differently. I had to leave in the end because the financial technocrats moved in looking for profit, and my mindset was of a lower priority.

None of us are able to keep this behaviour up all the time, and every one of us has a bad day. But in Christianity, that is why forgiveness plays such a role, because we have to forgive others if we expect forgiveness ourselves. But if you don't care, you leave forgiveness out of the equation. That seems to be where we are now. Too many are narrow-minded and egocentrical, and suffering in others is just an eyesore to be done away with, not attended to.

Indeed.. I don’t know why many see religion as an organised racket.. it’s about community, cohesion, support, etc..

..though I suppose that the 10s/100s? of 1000s of churches that have sprung up all around the planet go unregulated and may well be organised rackets.. many have been.

Would such churches evoke and foster olde-religious charm of community, cohesion, support etc., or would they put on a show to draw the crowds, to bring in da money.

We know that answer is Yes.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:54 pm

Bob wrote:
MagsJ wrote:So being fully sentient/present, brings on all the problems that being fully conscious entails.. a sound reason for the existence of a religion to ground and in-still morals and such in burgeoning communities and society, as a whole.

I do personally think that growing up within the boundaries and confines of a religion, made the process easier and probably more bearable, as life was shrouded in routine, and church, and studies, and Community activities and seasonal events and showcases, and so buffering its congregations from the harsh realities of life.. I think I’ve taken that for granted and as a given.

This is the way that many of us grew up. We don’t recognise the help we’ve had until it is gone. Consciousness doesn’t only bring problems, it put us into an existential dilemma. This is something that the Ancients addressed in stories, whether as myths or allegories, and properly read they can help us today. You see the dilemma at large when young people see their lives as pointless, or when gangs create their own “mythology” and round up the young people looking for purpose. You see it in people who go to the Scifi meetings, or Comicon. They're trying to put meaning into their lives, often because the mythology our society is based on has disappointed them.

Haha, Comicon as the current religion for the young.. so true, it’s practically a cult.. albeit a fun and social one.

All those 10s of 1000s rolling up to Comicon are making the money roll in.. a multi-million-Pound business.. these pseudo-religions certainly aren’t cheap to belong to, but there are worse rackets that one could belong to.. gangs, the drug life, criminal circles, etc..

Bob wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Sad, that someone has to die to prove a cause or show humanity it’s failings.. so humanity hates, someone has to die, and then we all go back to love. Can this cycle be broken? are we there yet?

Do we need hate to catalyse love, or can it become a standalone notion and therefore mutually exclusive, and start an era of the end of the negative forces that form human nature?

The problem is that we only see the positive after contact with negative. We don’t have to go so far that people die, if only we could mentally go through experiences and learn from them. The problem with a lot of pseudo-religious stories is that they are only stories and they don’t leave you asking what it meant. Therefore you don’t engage with them in the way the old traditions would have you do. I used to teach that the OT stories are a vehicle for people to get in and travel with until they get the meaning. In that way you become part of the story in the same way as you might if you enacted the story. It helps you see that you have both a benevolent and malevolent side in you. You discover your shadow, which we always fail to take into account.

The divine is in all those things that we can’t take for granted. The divine is what we should align to, so that the power of the divine channels through us. God is love, when aligned to that love it increases. The same goes for all of those gifts of the spirit. It works when you know that you can only ensure that these gifts are around you if you stay conscious and alert to your potential. Confession is necessary because we do fail, but it is only effective if you know your shadow.

I think that many cannot handle/live by that ^^^, just like many cannot tolerate meditating for too long for fear of where it might mentally lead to.. a fear of the unknown.

One doesn’t have to be religious to follow thee path, so guiding others onto it should be simpler, but isn’t that only doable if others want to?

Have you ever been successful in helping any doubters/sceptics/heretics? I recall the odd heretic turning up to Mass, and the congregation shunning them.. suffice to say, they didn’t stick around for long.

Bob wrote:
MagsJ wrote:That may be why even though I am a non-practising RC, I still attend and enjoy Services with family, as it’s a chance to all congregate together and catch up and be a whole family unit again.. memories rekindled of all growing up together.

I guess that being indoctrinated from birth, really does mean that that religion will always be in our hearts, and in our minds, and in our very being.. regardless of whether we want it there or not.. it is part of our very make up that made us up during the most formative years of our life. What would we have been without it? I always wonder..

I think what you experience with your family at such occasions is that spirit of love and wholesomeness. It feels timeless. It feels right. But it must be worked for, and each of us has to find a way to practise our religion so that it doesn’t degenerate into a meaningless procedure.

Quite.. never taking anything for granted, but experiencing wondrous moments with good heart and mind.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:26 am

MagsJ wrote: ... I don’t know why many see religion as an organised racket.. it’s about community, cohesion, support, etc..

..though I suppose that the 10s/100s? of 1000s of churches that have sprung up all around the planet go unregulated and may well be organised rackets.. many have been.

Would such churches evoke and foster olde-religious charm of community, cohesion, support etc., or would they put on a show to draw the crowds, to bring in da money.

We know that answer is Yes.

There is a market for religion in countries where capitalism is rampant, and where such undertakings are not controlled enough. After the war in Germany, the churches took it upon themselves to show a caritative spirit and it was widespread, caring for a wide range of people needing assistance. If anything, the churches were paying into these institutions at first, but then the state noticed that the need was larger than the churches could cope with, and they brought in commercial stimuli which changed the situation. The private sector took over and the churches are struggling, closing parishes down, renting out buildings, and since the pandemic, they have a vast reduction in churchgoers, especially since the scandals became known.

I think you'll find that only where there is a market for religion, is there money to be made. So, I think it depends on the society and its values whether churches make big money. Churches were in the years after the wars the areas where people gathered to gain some grounding, or when they were pulling together for a cause, and social cohesion had a lot to do with it. However, as the younger generations are more individually minded, community has more with having a good time together, and less with long-termed social bonding.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:31 am

MagsJ wrote:Haha, Comicon as the current religion for the young.. so true, it’s practically a cult.. albeit a fun and social one.

All those 10s of 1000s rolling up to Comicon are making the money roll in.. a multi-million-Pound business.. these pseudo-religions certainly aren’t cheap to belong to, but there are worse rackets that one could belong to.. gangs, the drug life, criminal circles, etc..

This has always been a problem. If you manage to undermine the bonding belief of a society, the people will gather under ideologies just to belong to something, and it may be totally bland and superficial, or even take money out of their pocket. It just needs to be internally consistent, or something that manages to form a hierarchy that rules your life from then on. Sometimes you have the feeling it goes from one extreme to the other. Look at how many people have grimacing faces tattooed onto their bodies, devils and skulls, evil mythological figures.

The church is either trustworthy, or it is dead. You can’t have an institution preach love and at the same time beat children. I can understand Emerson’s attitude when I said that the Gospel ennobled humanity, whereas the church rebuked. The Gospel shows us our potential and the church shows us our limitations.

MagsJ wrote:I think that many cannot handle/live by that ^^^, just like many cannot tolerate meditating for too long for fear of where it might mentally lead to.. a fear of the unknown.

One doesn’t have to be religious to follow thee path, so guiding others onto it should be simpler, but isn’t that only doable if others want to?

Have you ever been successful in helping any doubters/sceptics/heretics? I recall the odd heretic turning up to Mass, and the congregation shunning them.. suffice to say, they didn’t stick around for long.

I don’t think that everyone has the same receptivity to religion. We are all very different persons and the attempts by fundamentalist groups of whatever religion is to try to make everybody the same. I like the books of Thomas Moore because he shows a multitude of ways in which people are spiritual or mystics in their own right, even though they reject organized religion for themselves. He mentions the artists and the musicians but also the farmers and the artisans, who have a special relationship with their element, and who are wonderfully inspirational. But he also shows how the spirit of Christianity is observable in charity organisations, hospitals and clinics that are agnostic about religion.

I have always looked at people’s attitude more than whether they go to church. When I was employing people for the catholic care-home I worked for, I had some bother because I wanted to employ a wonderful woman who had gone through a divorce that had nearly destroyed her, and then found a man with whom she started to build up her life again. She wanted to re-enter nursing and I was enthralled at her approach and intelligence. My boss said I couldn’t employ her because she’d been married again. I changed my job and went the protestants, but it wasn’t much better there.

MagsJ wrote:Quite.. never taking anything for granted, but experiencing wondrous moments with good heart and mind.

Yes, that’s quite an insider tip, if I may say so … :wink:
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:50 am

_
Religion.. the battle-axe and double-edged-sword, to the path of 'goodness, morality, and virtue'.

MagsJ

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:56 am

Religion.. the battle-axe and double-edged-sword, to the path of 'goodness, morality, and virtue'.

That is unfortunately what it became, from a humble and gentle beginning ...
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:18 am

_
The temporary and the eternal

MagsJ

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:06 am

Yes, see the wholeness thread, with regard to Satya and Rta ...
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:15 am

Bob wrote:

Yes, see the wholeness thread, with regard to Satya and Rta ...

Heading over there, now..

MagsJ

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:25 am

MagsJ wrote:When I hear the word "Love", it makes me think of... food, my reflection, my coherency.

Interesting...

When I hear "Love", I think of procreative sex that results in pregnancy, along with intimate romantic commitments involving ethics and morality.

Food is close though.

MagsJ wrote:When I'm looking for advice on love, I most often turn to... the inner workings of my overactive mind.

When I'm having relationship problems, the first thing I usually do is... what relationship? my relationships with others have all broken down over the past year, because I can't be toyed with/manipulated/bullied/wound up/annoyed/dictated to.

On a journey to somewhere.. for something, an Eritrean woman made it her priority to join me.. from the back of the bus, to the viewing row that I occupied, to talk about the bible. #-o

Now.. I don't usually partake in public repartee, especially in discussions of my own private thoughts and feelings on most matters.. but I humoured her and downloaded the bible app she recommended - did she think I needed saving and prayer, or was she simply recruiting for the big guy up there? I so dislike others encroaching on my life and personal space, and thus my thoughts.

Would you be tolerant in such an instance? I really don't want to be, next time. :x

Nobody wants to be the pawn of somebody else's game.

The stakes are higher for women when it comes to sex than for men. Eventually old age forces most of humanity to "settle down", and settle for less, practical and pragmatic choices over immediately lustful ones.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:56 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
MagsJ wrote:When I hear the word "Love", it makes me think of... food, my reflection, my coherency.

Interesting...

When I hear "Love", I think of procreative sex that results in pregnancy, along with intimate romantic commitments involving ethics and morality.

Food is close though.

..a close second? for without food to give us energy, we are good for nothing.

For me.. sleep, food, societal-interactions.

MagsJ wrote:When I'm looking for advice on love, I most often turn to... the inner workings of my overactive mind.

When I'm having relationship problems, the first thing I usually do is... what relationship? my relationships with others have all broken down over the past year, because I can't be toyed with/manipulated/bullied/wound up/annoyed/dictated to.

On a journey to somewhere.. for something, an Eritrean woman made it her priority to join me.. from the back of the bus, to the viewing row that I occupied, to talk about the bible. #-o

Now.. I don't usually partake in public repartee, especially in discussions of my own private thoughts and feelings on most matters.. but I humoured her and downloaded the bible app she recommended - did she think I needed saving and prayer, or was she simply recruiting for the big guy up there? I so dislike others encroaching on my life and personal space, and thus my thoughts.

Would you be tolerant in such an instance? I really don't want to be, next time. :x

Nobody wants to be the pawn of somebody else's game.
[/quote]
Quite.. and yet the 'dross' still but try.

The stakes are higher for women when it comes to sex than for men. Eventually old age forces most of humanity to "settle down", and settle for less, practical and pragmatic choices over immediately lustful ones.

..or both :confusion-shrug:

:lol:

MagsJ

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:41 am

Yes we must feed, but so too must we flourish.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:44 am

MagsJ wrote:
Prismatic567 wrote:
MagsJ wrote:What would your answers be? up in the heavens or down on the ground..

-When you hear the word "Love", it makes you think of...?

bonding, harmony, peace, for survival of the species.

-When you're looking for advice on love, you most often turn to...?

Myself and own wide range of philosophical knowledge.

-When you're having relationship problems, the first thing you usually do is...?
If any, then first to be mindful, check and modulate one's emotion, psychoanalyze and reflect on all available knowledge to deal with the situation.

I have proven,
God is an impossibility to be real.
http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=193474
Thus the question of God is moot and a non-starter and I will not entertain anyone who tries to proselytize God to me.

I do not believe in a/any god.. I hope you got that from my witty replies, to the questions on love that the app posed.

You might have listened to this already.. A Universe Not Made For Us (Carl Sagan on religion) is quite compelling.

Video portrays Sagan's vision of neo-stoic humanistic courage to be in a meaningless universe where meaning is nothing but an act of the will-- a heroic human invention.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby MagsJ » Mon May 16, 2022 1:12 pm

_
The first Indian Saint

Lazarus Devasahayam: 'A saint for new beginnings' - he did it ‘for the love of god’.

A Hindu-born man from Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu, who converted to Christianity in the 18th century, Lazarus Devasahayam is set to become the first Indian layman to be declared a saint on 15 May 2022.

D0155118-E561-4FCA-B9F9-FC683AB4A687.jpeg
D0155118-E561-4FCA-B9F9-FC683AB4A687.jpeg (109.33 KiB) Viewed 420 times

MagsJ

Postby Bob » Mon May 16, 2022 3:11 pm

The first Indian Saint

Lazarus Devasahayam: 'A saint for new beginnings' - he did it ‘for the love of god’.

A Hindu-born man from Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu, who converted to Christianity in the 18th century, Lazarus Devasahayam is set to become the first Indian layman to be declared a saint on 15 May 2022.

D0155118-E561-4FCA-B9F9-FC683AB4A687.jpeg

While preaching, he particularly insisted on the equality of all people, despite caste differences. This aroused the hatred of the higher classes, and he was arrested in 1749. After enduring increasing hardships, he received the crown of martyrdom when he was shot on 14 January 1752.

I think it's worth mentioning ...
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon May 16, 2022 3:20 pm

Bob wrote:While preaching, he particularly insisted on the equality of all people, despite caste differences. This aroused the hatred of the higher classes, and he was arrested in 1749. After enduring increasing hardships, he received the crown of martyrdom when he was shot on 14 January 1752.

I think it's worth mentioning ...

I didn’t.. because I dislike that Saints only become Saints, when they become dead martyrs.

There have been living Saints, but they are few and far between.

Ten martyrs were made Saints all-together, whom I will also be posting of, in here.

MagsJ

Postby Ecmandu » Tue May 17, 2022 9:04 pm

I used to think love was an undefined term that people used to manipulate each other to gain favor.

That was decades ago. I don’t have an easy answer right now.

Let me think on those decades.

I will offer this though...

https://youtu.be/dIF74lH4KPM

https://youtu.be/rg1VufQmdak
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Tue May 17, 2022 9:06 pm

double post
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Thu May 19, 2022 5:51 pm

My mother once told me:

I don’t have to love you; I choose to love you.

And I even like you.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri May 20, 2022 11:46 am

_
How to Be More Spiritual in the 21st Century

The world changes fast, but our need for spiritual connection doesn’t. Rekindle a spiritual spark from your past or try out a totally new routine.

By James Quigley

Spirituality has always been a fundamental part of the human experience, and in the 21st century, people are more empowered than ever to explore spirituality on their own terms. You can dive deep, or just learn a few helpful practices. You can follow an organized religion, or create a personal connection without labels. It’s entirely up to you, and there’s no wrong choice.

The benefits of making space for spirituality in your life are profound. According to Psychology Today, spiritual people are more likely to:

• Have high self-esteem
    • Feel optimistic and grateful
    • Savor life experiences
    • Be compassionate
    • Flourish in relationships

If you are interested in expanding your spirit, there are all different kinds of spiritual practices you can try.. meditation, mindfulness, yoga, religious and spiritual study, mindfulness activities.. being in nature, zen writing, penning a journal.

MagsJ

Postby Bob » Sun May 22, 2022 10:13 am

MagsJ wrote:How to Be More Spiritual in the 21st Century

What does spirituality mean to you?
Spirituality to me is having a different perspective that is somewhat different from my usual perspective. It's a little bit like having two eyes that gives us depth in seeing. So, it has to do with impressions, and Antoine de Exupery's "seeing with the heart" is often used to describe it. It is reading between the lines; feeling and following the magic of a moment; remaining in a thought, or in silence; it is having community, but also seeking solitude.

But it also has to do with expressing oneself; revealing what has arrived in the heart, whether good or bad. This happens in conversation, or in writing, which can be like a prayer. It also happens in our actions and treating other people. It happens in our thoughts, which are fearless but also sometimes terribly honest, and stumble out before we have noticed them.

But it is also about avoiding addictions, licentiousness and habits that also afflict us in the form of attachment to things and people. Throughout history, man has been suffering not only from diseases and wars, but also from his insatiable addiction to recognition and power, and from his overestimation of himself at the expense of his fellow man and nature.
It is these two sides of human nature that have always preoccupied spiritual thinkers and led to man's attempt to redeem himself from the eternal wheel of suffering, whether through noble paths of virtue, equanimity, and compassion, or through discipline and regulations. Initially, intoxication was considered a liberation, but soon people realized how short-lived and chaotic such practices were.

Would you say that you are a spiritual person?
I believe I am, more often than not. But I am often not, when it would be good for me. I am two people, and it seems like sometimes the two take turns several times a day, making you wonder, "Who am I today?" or "Who said that?" When I was a little boy, like many children, I had an invisible friend who did all the things I didn't want to have done - a little wave from the shadow we all carry around with us perhaps.

Although many say we all need something to believe in, I think it's more like as soon as we can think, we have a belief, but it has to be measured against experienced reality. There is no-one who doesn't have faith, or a spiritual component to their lives, even if traditional religions don't serve as the basis of spirituality for these people. It is just unfortunate that alternatives are sometimes worse for people and lead them astray.

The practice of sports is an important area where people realize that if they live and breathe their sport, they can have a flow experience. Sports can be very meditative and also help with stress reduction, and the regular routines can be like a contemplative practice. I find when I run and practice my breathing that I can get a similar effect to meditating on a cushion, only with sports I have the movement and venting of the lungs to go with it.

For me, watching sports has more to do with belonging, as it often does in organized religion. If the team wins, life is good, like feeling affirmed in your faith life; if the team plays poorly, life is bad. Rightly or wrongly, the game or the players are gods, and people worship them with fervour.

Nature is another area for alternative spirituality. People love nature, which they often refer to as Mother, feel connected to her, and each use their gardens as a kind of altar. Many bring flowers into their homes, just as others have a religious sign on their wall. Nature also shows us the riddles of our existence by showing us beautiful scenes and cruel natural events side by side.

I believe that Mother Nature deserves serious respect, and that we underestimate our interaction with her because of her influence on us. We are a part of nature and did not come "into" the world, but out of the world. We are like the fruit of a tree, or, as a doctor once told me, like maggots in a corpse.

I also can be taken away by meditative music and even walk on the treadmill with it in my ears sometimes. It certainly keeps my pulse lower than without.

To say I don't believe in a God would be wrong, I just don't believe as many others do, and have to wince sometimes when I hear the statement of some believers, which, amongst other things, has led to my leaving the Church. What God is, is not yet clear to me, and I can say more about what he is not for me than give a clear definition. I have an underlying faith in a benevolence which is guiding me.

I believe how you treat people is often how it comes back to you in life - but it is far from certain. It is not obvious what benefits virtuous living brings one, only that it is better overall for everyone. The potential, however, should be undeniable from my point of view.

I meditate, read spiritual texts from various sources, know a little more about Christianity, but above all I try to be attentive, and pay attention to my fellow human beings and my environment. I try to honour life and the source of our existence, as little as I understand what it is I’m honouring, and love my neighbour as I love myself, despite obvious incursions on that commitment, which cause me to struggle.
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 pm

_
Pakistan: Government puts end to menial job ads targeting religious minorities

The Punjab Department of General Services and Administration in Pakistan stops employment advertisements for menial tasks that target candidates from religious minority groups.

Following a petition of the National Human Rights Commission (NCHR), the Punjab Department of General Services and Administration last week put a stop to the mention of the religion of candidates in public advertisements for jobs.
For years, Pakistani civil society organizations have criticized employment advertisements targeting religious minorities who are hired for sanitation and other menial jobs reserved for “non-Muslim” candidates.
The recent notice, issued with the approval of the chief minister of the Punjab province, was sent to all the administrative departments, with directives to nullify any provision that promotes such discrimination.

MagsJ

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:25 pm

The word for me has come to mean the general standard for survival as a spirit in a world of matter;
love is resilient enough for it, and yet not born of matter. Hence the association with God is apt, of course.

Love is the law, love under will (Crowley)
or: love and do what you will (st Augustine)
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
The Wheel - The Tree
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:48 am

_
We are not the answer to All prayers, least of all Our own.

MagsJ

Postby Dan~ » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:36 pm

How to Be More Spiritual in the 21st Century

The world changes fast, but our need for spiritual connection doesn’t. Rekindle a spiritual spark from your past or try out a totally new routine.

By James Quigley

Spirituality has always been a fundamental part of the human experience, and in the 21st century, people are more empowered than ever to explore spirituality on their own terms. You can dive deep, or just learn a few helpful practices. You can follow an organized religion, or create a personal connection without labels. It’s entirely up to you, and there’s no wrong choice.

The benefits of making space for spirituality in your life are profound. According to Psychology Today, spiritual people are more likely to:

• Have high self-esteem
    • Feel optimistic and grateful
    • Savor life experiences
    • Be compassionate
    • Flourish in relationships

If you are interested in expanding your spirit, there are all different kinds of spiritual practices you can try.. meditation, mindfulness, yoga, religious and spiritual study, mindfulness activities.. being in nature, zen writing, penning a journal.

I like that list.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality