Is anyone here a recovering atheist?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is anyone here a recovering atheist?

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:07 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:I could swear(puny pun) that in the Old Testament God said something about placing no other God before or above him, which would include his Son, Jesus. Jesus was nothing like God, another indicator that they are not one in the same. Jesus asked God if he was still to be sacrificed, God answered yes. Jesus “died” but if Jesus was God and as God died, we wouldn’t be having this discussion, existence would of went ‘poof.’

God is a bit of a greater thing (by our reckoning). He can make himself flesh and die and still resurrect himself, he can be the father and the son both. He is very powerful.

WendyDarling wrote:RCC immediately seized upon decadence and bloodshed,

That is just how we are, there is no separation between our God and being that. We didn't realize how much we would be destroying. The world was bigger than we thought. God is so supreme, it's hard to understand. We didn't mean to be dicks.

WendyDarling wrote: Christ was a simple, passive herald,

By our reckoning, he was a pretty wrathful and temperamental and generally powerful individual.

He was God.

WendyDarling wrote:Most hatred against Christianity to this very day is a result of all the corruptions of Christianity acted upon by the RCC.

In our eyes, nothing is forbidden God.

WendyDarling wrote:What in the RCC formal resembles Jesus’ purity?

I don't think we actually have a concept of purity. It is not about purity, it is about God. God is powerful. And holy.

Stop. Don’t tell me anymore. I’m becoming unsettled.

Yes, God plays the role of Jesus, acting nothing like his former self as another ploy to be loved since his bullying as the OT God failed. Yikes. Smacks of desperation, rather than power.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 pm

See what I mean? I am not doing it on purpose. There is no reason for you to change anything of what you believe. Everything you say sounds very beautiful to me.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Maybe there is more than one Jesus.

Maybe the being we worship wasn't actually Jesus.

I think it is important to be tolerant of other people's beliefs.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby aniceguy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:14 pm

The Indian story(which also includes Latino natives and the Spaniard conquest) is a quite tragic one but it had nothing to do with Catholics but with primitives finding themselves between the shutting doors of a new, technological frontier(especially in the case of Northern natives). Anybody who knows anything about the early West, knows how ridiculous it is to ascribe some type of responsibility to some specific institution, much less centralised in Europe. A superior culture came and EVENTUALLY dominated...was the early settlers behaviour un-Christian???definitely???was it a genocide or some organised violence against Natives???no...so there is nobody to blame...no people, no institution, no civilisation...
aniceguy

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:16 pm

When I say American Indians, I mostly mean south of the US. There were relatively few people in North America.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm

And when I say we, I mostly mean Spanish. The North Americans on the whole were not even Catholic. They were escaping Catholicism.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 pm

I agree that it is mostly the story of a more advanced army rolling over a less experienced military culture, and not one of one religion trying to impose itself. That part sort of happened by reflex.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby aniceguy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Maybe there is more than one Jesus.

Tolerance for other peoples beliefs is an old tripe. Tolerance works within a shared religious and civilizational framework...it works for people like yourself, with common interests and with common beliefs and values...for people outside, it does not work, has never worked and will never work...
Last edited by aniceguy on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aniceguy

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:21 pm

War is war, and the Indians were doing war among themselves (terrible war) before we got here.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 pm

aniceguy wrote:Tolerance for other peoples beliefs is an old tripe.

I don't think it is. I think it's very important and the only way not to destroy countless treasures that humanity has.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Look at communism. Communism is the ultimate intolerance. And it is our doing, we created it.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Look at the word God. We don't even know what it means, it got erased in our zeal to show people God (Deus).
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby aniceguy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 pm

You are throwing yourself at complex human systems with a hammer. The survivor bias means you see the negatives only in what did happen and ignore all the negatives which were avoided by the things which produced the former negatives. In this way, even neo-nazis can feel like they are saving the white-race, by becoming ultra-ecologists and by creating an atmosphere of doom and decline by constantly pointing out the negatives of the modernity...means fuck all.
Last edited by aniceguy on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aniceguy

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Maybe there is more than one Jesus.

I had no idea about all the teachings going on in the RCC.

Why are you telling me to be tolerant? Have I tried to control your beliefs?

I repeated what you said you believed in my own descriptive way and gave my opinion on the appearance of it.

Is a disagreement intolerance? Sounds politically inspired by leftist.

From an outsiders perspective, what you’ve relayed feels wrong so I won’t end up Catholic, to each his own.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby aniceguy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 pm

What are you mumbling about woman???is one anonymous forum user a representative of a whole Catholic church???its too obvious you are trying to smear.
aniceguy

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 pm

Here’s the deal.

Any being you worship, especially with a title (of all things) isn’t worthy of respect.

You are the center! All of us are.

You do realize that selling your soul to Jesus is the same as selling your soul to the devil... right?

They both want your soul.

Now, granted, it’s taught in the Bible from supposed Jesus that “what is the whole earth if you lose your soul”

Nice message actually.

But he didn’t take it far enough.

Don’t sell or give your soul to anyone.

You, are the most important being to you.

Don’t forget that.

Even in the highest spiritual planes, people have consent structures that define them as individuals.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:14 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Heathen just means religious but not Catholic.

No it doesn't. Heathen means Pagan, and specifically, those Pagans who follow the Northern tradition.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:52 am

And what's it like to be a pagan of the northern tradition? Do you still believe in gods who stroll around Europe looking for rape victims to kidnap and molest? In mermaids, dwarves and gnomes that live in the forests and mountains of Norway??? You know that if you answer no then you are appropriating the beliefs about the world and religions of these people, right? And presenting your own fantasies and whims as something serious and something more than made up, mystic, new age bullshit. If you don't believe in supernatural forces and gods with their own will that act in our world and their world then you are no northern pagan but a new age hippie bohemian tramp. So stop clowning about and simply admit you are a superstitious atheist.
aniceguy

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:05 am

aniceguy wrote:And what's it like to be a pagan of the northern tradition? Do you still believe in gods who stroll around Europe looking for rape victims to kidnap and molest? In mermaids, dwarves and gnomes that live in the forests and mountains of Norway??? You know that if you answer no then you are appropriating the beliefs about the world and religions of these people, right? And presenting your own fantasies and whims as something serious and something more than made up, mystic, new age bullshit. If you don't believe in supernatural forces and gods with their own will that act in our world and their world then you are no northern pagan but a new age hippie bohemian tramp. So stop clowning about and simply admit you are a superstitious atheist.

Did the gods of the Northern tradition actually do that, or is this a Christianised version of what they did, to discredit them?
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:58 am

Maia wrote:

No it doesn't. Heathen means Pagan, and specifically, those Pagans who follow the Northern tradition.

Pagan just means heathen.

Heathen isn't the name of a or your religion. Your religion doesn't have a name because it was wiped out by Catholicism.

I always find it funny when people call themselves pagan as a religion. it is like calling yourself barbarian as the name of your civilization. Maybe as an ironic gesture.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:00 am

Heathen means from the perspective of Catholicism. The degree to which you deviate. Pagan is the same term from the perspective of the pagan. The crazy demon worship or whatever that was there before Catholicism arrived.

Heretic means more specifically a statement trying to pass as Catholic, but going against dogma. Treason would be the equivalent.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:13 am

aniceguy wrote:You are throwing yourself at complex human systems with a hammer. The survivor bias means you see the negatives only in what did happen and ignore all the negatives which were avoided by the things which produced the former negatives. In this way, even neo-nazis can feel like they are saving the white-race, by becoming ultra-ecologists and by creating an atmosphere of doom and decline by constantly pointing out the negatives of the modernity...means fuck all.

You have a point.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:43 am

Maia wrote:
aniceguy wrote:And what's it like to be a pagan of the northern tradition? Do you still believe in gods who stroll around Europe looking for rape victims to kidnap and molest? In mermaids, dwarves and gnomes that live in the forests and mountains of Norway??? You know that if you answer no then you are appropriating the beliefs about the world and religions of these people, right? And presenting your own fantasies and whims as something serious and something more than made up, mystic, new age bullshit. If you don't believe in supernatural forces and gods with their own will that act in our world and their world then you are no northern pagan but a new age hippie bohemian tramp. So stop clowning about and simply admit you are a superstitious atheist.

Did the gods of the Northern tradition actually do that, or is this a Christianised version of what they did, to discredit them?

you are quite hot, I wanna go north with you, explore the real northern tradition...
aniceguy

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:07 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
Maia wrote:

Pagan just means heathen.

Heathen isn't the name of a or your religion. Your religion doesn't have a name because it was wiped out by Catholicism.

I always find it funny when people call themselves pagan as a religion. it is like calling yourself barbarian as the name of your civilization. Maybe as an ironic gesture.

Pagans were not wiped out by Christians(but by industrial revolution and most importantly nationalisation of Europe which standardized language, customs and worship), just like the Jews in Europe or the Tatar and other Islamic minorities which had their mosques over Galicia and then Poland, now Ukraine as did the orthodox Russo minorities. Your image of Europe is a typical Yank abomination which typically smears the middle ages period and paints it like some backward, fanatic time of collective insanity and general backwardness and religious fanaticism...to then imply that the civilisation incidentally began about the Yank and then French revolution and after the protestant churches splintered out of the Papal authority....all completely false and easily falsifiable. You cunts are such Yanko-centrist and don't have a slightest clue you are but it's immediately apparent when talking to somebody who grew up on the Anglo-Saxon land and who went through the Anglo educational system because of the apparent and typical gaps you have in your knowledge.
aniceguy

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:17 am

1. Protestant groups started splintering long before the first big boat even touched America,

aniceguy wrote:Pagans were not wiped out by Christians,

I might have been insensitive here. I just mean that whatever religion the Scandinavians had before they adopted Roman religion was erased, but by themselves. They were the ones who ditched everything they had ever believed in. Other cultures that converted didn't find it necessary to do that.

The middle ages were a little backwards, because they represent a period where Roman authority was slackened in favour of a bunch of savages from Scandinavia who were militarily ascendant. Certainly, they wre not even vaguely as backward as they are made out to be. But most of what we would call advancements of that age came from Arabia through Spain, via Islam, which is simply a bastardized interpretation of Eastern Roman Christianity anyway. This was not a taboo subject at the time, it was known and accepted throughout Europe that high culture came from Arabia. Scholars learned Arabic then like they would later learn Latin and later Greek. Hebrew too, of course, the Hebrews never totally waned in their advancement, but they were too small a culture to determine the direction of all of Europe.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality