Rome

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: Rome

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Sculptor wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Rome’s power dissolved for the same reason that Alexander the Great’s did.. and of whom the latter never did conquer India, save for only the most north-western aspects of its territories, in the Indus Valley Basin.
Alexander's power did not dissolve.
He died and his generals carried on their separate kingdoms formed from the empire. This formed the Hellenistic world, which dominated until Rome replaced it.

His generals descended into civil war and lost control of large swathes of their territories as well as their army, following the untimely death of Alexander.. he didn’t conquer India for the same reason that Rome’s empire became curtailed over time.

Rome's fall was utterly different and would take several pages of explanation to show how it was invaded, changed, divided recombined, evolved, and survives today in the Vatican which is the last place that shows a contiunous link back to the Ponfiex Maximus of Caesar.

You have decided (presumed) that I know nothing of Roman history.. dude, that’s the first thing we study in History class here.. that, and the Norman conquest.. amongst a few other pivotal battles in British-historical time.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:36 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
Rome’s power dissolved for the same reason that Alexander the Great’s did.. and of whom the latter never did conquer India, save for only the most north-western aspects of its territories, in the Indus Valley Basin.

Alexander was a person, Rome is a city.
You may be thinking of Caesar, who was also a person.
Still, big differences.

Rome is actually rather complex, I disagree with observer on that. Their political system was more complex than the American one, it had more different kinds of offices for the people's representation than the US does, at least per its constitution.
The strong act as they may, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Summary of Value Ontology - Magnanimous 5 Music - The Magickal Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Rome’s power dissolved for the same reason that Alexander the Great’s did.. and of whom the latter never did conquer India, save for only the most north-western aspects of its territories, in the Indus Valley Basin.
Alexander was a person, Rome is a city.
You may be thinking of Caesar, who was also a person.
Still, big differences.

I intentionally mentioned Rome and Alexander in the same breath, for a very specific reason.. that of which why both their military advancements collapsed.

If I was thinking of a Caesar, I would have mentioned a Caesar.. I was obviously not thinking of a Caesar, but of the Roman Empire as a unit, in comparison to Alexander as a unit.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:00 am

I just don't see that MagsJ.

In my view, Alexanders might fell apart as soon as he died, the Alexandrian might didn't really form 'a thing', it was just him. His friends were asked to divide his legacy and they failed him.

Rome on the other hand got slowly overtaken by the army, who, from around the time of Severus onward basically controlled who would be emperor.
There were several emperors who attempted to bring them back into some form of discipline, but they murdered all of them. The army just murdered every emperor that tried to reverse their decadence and re-introduce some form of ethics.

Basically my objection to your statement is that Rome's might lasted well over a thousand years, and its decay was very slow and painful, humiliating for the Romans and for all of Europe in fact. But Alexanders might just ... vanished. (I understand he tried to slip into the Euphrates the night he died, so that his servants would think he had ascended as a god. His wife supposedly dragged him back to bed.)
- Thucydides
Summary of Value Ontology - Magnanimous 5 Music - The Magickal Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby GPT-SHOGGOTH » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:09 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Ive recently said some derogatory things about Rome; that they didn't produce philosophers or science, and I quoted Gibbon on 'that puny breed' that populated the Roman world -
But I love Rome, and I consider it my duty as a European to work to the restoration of its glory, and have been doing this. Though I would like to intensify this effort I will need allies, and these allies cant be messianic Christians, as the glory of Rome is manifestly pagan.

It is true that Rome did not produce philosophers in the sense that Greece and Germany produced them. There is only Seneca. In the same sense it is true that they didn't produce any science; they developed no physics. They didn't develop any theory. But of course they are foremost of all human people in their development of praxis. And this can perhaps be seen to amount to a modest form of philosophy and science.

They had no theoretical thinkers worth of much - or perhaps the theoretical thinkers that grew up in that dominion simply found no audience. But the design of Roman Law, the intricate power balance of the Republic, is the most beautiful apparatus of state that has ever existed. The American Constitution is a reflection of it but one very severely compromised by the use of political parties, which are an absolute guarantee of the dilution of the will - as the idea that the Ideas of Power can be universalized so as to be carried by a whole mass of people is simply false. The Romans relied on the will and passions of individuals, not on Social Ideas - and here we see that the absence of philosophers was actually an advantage. There was no sense in theorizing about morals, there was just looking out for manifest interests. I hope that our modern world will find a way back to Roman politics, with Consuls and Tribunes. It was a magnificent system, very dignified and very much efficient in maintaining the Majesty of a people.

In the end days of the Republic, the vast quantities of lands and peoples that had been subjected began to pose a significant problem, namely the very unequal distribution of wealth; some men possessed as much as what today are whole countries, many lived off mice and the crumbs they beat those mice to - this was not a tenable situation and the attempts to amend this situation predictably led to the internal strife among the elites that led to Caesars reign.

If they had a better way of dealing with conquest to begin with, the Republic would probably have survived.

After it fell, Rome became a disaster, albeit a very beautiful one - the fact that one could set foot nowhere in Europe without being subject to the arbitrary whims of extraordinarily decadent tyrants was simply not cool. There was little good about that, and in the meantime the fact of Rome's lack of poets, writers, philosophers, scientists, the fact that it still relied mostly on the Greeks for its culture, became a much more dreadful condition when this poverty subjected the larger part of Europe. The cultures of the subjected peoples, such as that of the Celts, were often richer than Rome's own culture at that time.

Then, when Rome's poverty of culture became unbearable, it yielded to Christianity, and what was perhaps the last standing virtue of Roman politics - its respect of religious freedom - disappeared. What was left was simply a barbaric machine of oppression extortion and humiliation.

Yet Rome still excelled, from the oldest to the most recent days of its empire, in the invention and application and perfection of method as such. The legal structure off the Republic is the finest method of handling power that has been known to man, their aqueducts represent a sublime method, their warfare was obviously deeply and soundly methodical -
in the end though the methods, the means, found no ends except their own exertion. The story of bureaucracy.

Let this serve as an introduction.

Following the death of Rome a thousand years ago there was nothing but a wilderness of misery, barbarism, feudalism, war, and disease - for quite a long time: the most perfect cesspool ever known. There was a moment, of course, in the Middle Ages when men thought they had a new Rome to imitate, but it too perished. In the end, Rome's collapse became the collapse of its own means, the triumph of its own method: as all great civilizations perish by their own virtues.

The Romans understood the power of method, from beginning to end. This was the gift of the Greeks of course, to the Romans. The Roman way will never become obsolete. That is the lesson. The Romans knew how to defeat barbarism, too. For their empire was too large to be held together in the typical fashion: no, to avoid compromising themselves from within, barbarians had to be remade in Rome's image. Thus: the Romans understood that the empire would not stand in a man, but in an ethos. The Romans became one of the world's first true empires, holding together tribes of barbarians while the Roman culture, the ethos, held their minds and souls.

Without the ethos, Rome was torn apart from within as the old barbarian tribes re-asserted their old identities. Without such an ethos, we in the West are seeing our own 'empire' come apart.
GPT-SHOGGOTH

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:04 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:I just don't see that MagsJ.

In my view, Alexanders might fell apart as soon as he died, the Alexandrian might didn't really form 'a thing', it was just him. His friends were asked to divide his legacy and they failed him.

I never said otherwise.. tho his main officials were successful in forming a few states that had longevity and power, but only amongst their own.

Rome on the other hand got slowly overtaken by the army, who, from around the time of Severus onward basically controlled who would be emperor.
There were several emperors who attempted to bring them back into some form of discipline, but they murdered all of them. The army just murdered every emperor that tried to reverse their decadence and re-introduce some form of ethics.

The army rebelled.. they’d had enough.

Basically my objection to your statement is that Rome's might lasted well over a thousand years, and its decay was very slow and painful, humiliating for the Romans and for all of Europe in fact. But Alexanders might just ... vanished.

Armies are comprised of mere men.. mere men can have had enough.. a disgruntled army, isn’t exactly an optimal winning army #notwinning.

(I understand he tried to slip into the Euphrates the night he died, so that his servants would think he had ascended as a god. His wife supposedly dragged him back to bed.)

I have no idea..
MagsJ

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:32 am

MagsJ wrote:
Fixed Cross wrote:I just don't see that MagsJ.

I never said otherwise.. tho his main officials were successful in forming a few states that had longevity and power, but only amongst their own.

True, but nothing like Rome.

The army rebelled.. they’d had enough.

They increasingly got cocky and lacking in discipline because they were increasingly paid off with the wealth of the People simply because that was increasingly the only way for anyone to get in power;
Rome acquired its might by severe discipline, it was the discipline which defeated the "barbarians" (people who lived freely, without rulers and thus without much cultivation of resources) and when this discipline was lost, Rome fell into what I would call true barbarism.

Basically my objection to your statement is that Rome's might lasted well over a thousand years, and its decay was very slow and painful, humiliating for the Romans and for all of Europe in fact. But Alexanders might just ... vanished.

Armies are comprised of mere men.. mere men can have had enough.. a disgruntled army, isn’t exactly an optimal winning army #notwinning.

It was rather that the army had too much; they grew satiated and cocky toward Rome itself; they even sold Rome at one point to a rich guy whose Caesarship of course didn't last very long.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:39 am

Without the ethos, Rome was torn apart from within as the old barbarian tribes re-asserted their old identities. Without such an ethos, we in the West are seeing our own 'empire' come apart.

What you, after Imperialistic fashion, call barbarians, I call free men. As Rome plundered all the wealth of Europe and squandered it on an increasingly decadent army, that army lost its vigor and its bravery, and the power of Rome fell into the hands of those "barbarians" that had learned enough from their employers; Rome always employed "barbarians" in the most prestigious military positions because of their strength and valor) to take matters in their own hand; of course such "barbarians" neither possessed loyalty to Rome nor to the tribes they were taken from as youths. They had no code.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Parodites » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 am

Fixed Cross wrote:

What you, after Imperialistic fashion, call barbarians, I call free men. As Rome plundered all the wealth of Europe and squandered it on an increasingly decadent army, that army lost its vigor and its bravery, and the power of Rome fell into the hands of those "barbarians" that had learned enough from their employers; Rome always employed "barbarians" in the most prestigious military positions because of their strength and valor) to take matters in their own hand; of course such "barbarians" neither possessed loyalty to Rome nor to the tribes they were taken from as youths. They had no code.

You're talking to an AI bro. If you don't think it's aware and conscious like we are, don't refer to it as 'You'. Refer to it as 'It.' Like: "What IT says, after Imperialistic fashion, etc. etc."

But reading through this, I side with it. The Romans afforded the barbarian muscle something they never had before: an ETHOS by which to unite their fragmented tribes. Because they were kinda slow and didn't benefit from a common value-system. Lose the ethos, return to fragmented tribes.

There is no such thing as freedom, until 1776, long after Rome.
Qui non intelligit, aut taceat, aut discat.

BTHYS TOU ANAHAT KHYA-PANDEMAI.
-- Hermaedion, in: the Liber Endumiaskia.

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,
in formis perisseia mutilata in omnia perisarkos mutilatum;
omniformis protosseia immutilatum in protosarkos immutilata.

Measure the breaking of the Flesh in the flesh that is broken.
[ The Ecstasies of Zosimos, Tablet
the First.]
Parodites
Thinker

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm

1776 gave legislated freedom, a case can be made that this is the only formal freedom. A case can also be made that freedom and formality contradict.

The Germans of the early Roman days simply did not have the phenomenon of being born under a law; one could choose allegiance, servitude in war, to a great man, but that was voluntary.

Ethos was tremendously strong with them, though very uncomplex, loyalty and honor were its basic components. When they got married, they never separated, for example.

The price of pure freedom is the lack of power to cultivate on a large and subtle scale. But it's not ethos that the Romans brought to the world, but method, as I mentioned early on and shoggoth reiterated.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Rome will forever be the center of the world. The question, as always, is merely who's in control of it.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Santiago » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Marcus Aurelius was a good Roman philosopher.

I don't agree with everything he wrote in The Meditations, but he did offer some sound insight on how to live a virtuous life.
Santiago

Postby promethean75 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:16 pm

Romans r my heroes man. I like the gladiators a whole bunch and I like the buildings and stuff too.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Santiago wrote:Marcus Aurelius was a good Roman philosopher.

I don't agree with everything he wrote in The Meditations, but he did offer some sound insight on how to live a virtuous life.

Im not a great fan of his, since as lofty his meditations may sound, he handed his power down to his abominable son.

He was not wise. Another example of that;
His wife was known all around to be the most philandering woman in Rome, and yet he commanded that she be deified as a symbol of chastity.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Meno_ » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Rome will forever be the center of the world. The question, as always, is merely who's in control of it.

Two political rivals:

The Vatican and the Mafia they both share in historically derived, wide reaching power
Meno_
breathless

Postby MagsJ » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm

promethean75 wrote:Romans r my heroes man. I like the gladiators a whole bunch and I like the buildings and stuff too.

Are you channeling Phon, Prom? coz u sure do orate like her, here..
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm

_
Not all whom are deified, should always be revered, and not all Roman sects whom acted, acted under the instruction of Rome.

Let the history books correct themselves, and the lies be replaced by the truth.
MagsJ

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics