Isolated in this Webforum?

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

I am isolated and belong to one of the following four groups:

I) My isolated group knows about its isolation and wants to drive others into isolation.
14%
II) My isolated group knows about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation.
43%
III) My isolated group does not know about its isolation and wants to drive others into isolation.
14%
IV) My isolated group does not know about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation.
29%

Total votes : 7

Isolated in this Webforum?

Postby Otto » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Do you think that you could be isolated in this webforum?

You could belong to one of these four groups:

I) An isolated group that knows about its isolation and wants to drive others into isolation.
II) An isolated group that knows about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation.
III) An isolated group that does not know about its isolation and wants to drive others into isolation.
IV) An isolated group that does not know about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation.

Feel free to come out of the closet. :lol:

Please copy the following depiction, fill in your position within one of the four groups and post it.

FF.png
Four Groups within One Group (ILP Members).
FF.png (7.97 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Thank you.
Otto

Re: Isolated in this Webforum?

Postby Otto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 am

Okay, I try to explain what I mean.

Think for instance of a person of the group II who could say the follwuing sentences:

"I think I know some other posters here, so that I can identify with them as a group, and that I can say that my group knows about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation. This group is isolated by other groups, intentionally (I, III) and without intention (IV), while my group has no intention to isolate other groups.

I think that intentional isolation is a troll thing because they are the isolators who know about their own isolation and condone it because they think they can win by isolating others. So group I is made up of trolls."
And this is one of the possibilties for the position of that said person:

GII_MP.png
GII_MP.png (8.42 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Otto

Postby Otto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:58 am

Here is another example:

GI_E.png
GI_E.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 709 times

An extreme troll of group I.
Otto

Postby Kathrina » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 am

Well, Otto, I would say that not very many posters will risk to post here or, as you said, will "come out of the closet". :lol:

But you have raised an important issue that directly and primarily affects ILP.

Most, if any, will "confess" to being in Group II. Most of those most will lie.

I will probably "stay in the closet". :wink: :oops: 8)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Postby Otto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:02 pm

:angry-tappingfoot:
I am only doing this for others. :romance-hearteyes: :royalty-king: :angelic-innocent: 8)

G_I_II_III_IV.png
G_I_II_III_IV.png (21.94 KiB) Viewed 687 times

G_I_II_III_IV_.png
G_I_II_III_IV_.png (20.37 KiB) Viewed 687 times

My thought behind all this is that there are four different, more or less isolated groups in this webforum and that this isolation results from the structure of this webforum and the internet in general. The Internet is mainly a trollnet.

You know (?). :idea:

The other thought behind it is a humorous, satirical one.

You know (?). :lol:
Otto

Postby promethean75 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:50 pm

I dunno about being isolated, but I am a troll. A very good one. I can troll anything man, and troll it well.

But ILP is not unique in its social dynamics. All major forums have regulars that turn the forum into a Facebook alternative over the years... with a few little debates here and there. Same stuff different forum.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Otto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:17 pm

I could have also said this:

G_I_II_III_IV__.png
G_I_II_III_IV__.png (19.21 KiB) Viewed 685 times

However, this statement is already based on more evaluation than the other statements.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah, look:

promethean75 wrote:I dunno about being isolated, but I am a troll. A very good one. I can troll anything man, and troll it well.

Ah, interesting. A troll that doesn't know whether he is isolated. That means: Group III. Https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 2#p2805105

Group III is also the fancy group. It is gladly visited. Group III has the least similarity with Group II. If you are not xenophobic, then I give you the advice to become a member of Group II in order to gain experience with Group II, which is the most alien from the point of view of Group III. Good luck!

promethean75 wrote:But ILP is not unique in its social dynamics. All major forums have regulars that turn the forum into a Facebook alternative over the years... with a few little debates here and there. Same stuff different forum.

This is what I already said:

Otto wrote:My thought behind all this is that there are four different, more or less isolated groups in this webforum and that this isolation results from the structure of this webforum and the internet in general. The internet is mainly a trollnet.
Otto

Postby Great Again » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Group II, of course, because I am in it. 8)
Great Again

Postby Otto » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Group II. Aha.

Promethean is from Group III, and since Group II has the least resemblance to Group III, I suggest you talk more with Promethean to get closer to Group III. :)
Otto

Postby Otto » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:33 pm

But you can also just as well talk only within your group. :)
Otto

Postby Great Again » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Otto wrote:Group II. Aha.

Promethean is from Group III, and since Group II has the least resemblance to Group III, I suggest you talk more with Promethean to get closer to Group III. :)
Otto wrote:But you can also just as well talk only within your group. :)

Thank you. I have 100 posts now. That is enough. :wink:

Well, I can think about it again. Maybe I will go on. Let's just wait and see. And drink tea!

P_100.jpg
P_100.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 646 times
Great Again

Postby Otto » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Okay, think this over.

But also think about the fact that after you will have left, only your group members will miss you.

I just remembered: Do you know the thread "People you miss"?
Otto

Postby Great Again » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:23 am

Otto wrote:Okay, think this over.

But also think about the fact that after you will have left, only your group members will miss you.

I just remembered: Do you know the thread "People you miss"?

Yes.

I know someone who fits the following position exactly:

G_III_e.png
G_III_e.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Great Again

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:46 am

Are you sometimes in contact with this poster?
Otto

Postby Great Again » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 am

Yes, but not often. The contact is just too annoying.
Great Again

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:59 am

But think of my advice: "Get closer to Group III". :)
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm

_
A question, if I may, before I reply.. why are/do the groups, have to be isolated? From..?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Kathrina » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Do you have an explanation for the phenomenon that most of those who habitually comment in the philosophical subforum "Religion and Spirituality" seem to be less nervous than most of those who habitually comment in the other philosophical subforums?
Kathrina

Postby Kathrina » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:19 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
A question, if I may, before I reply.. why are/do the groups, have to be isolated? From..?

If I may answer. :)

I think that the four groups do not actually have to be but are isolated from each other, because they have isolated themselves from each other and keep doing it. Some do it, as Otto wrote, with intention, the others do it without intention (see: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 7#p2805135 ).
Kathrina

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Oh ...!

Good evening. I apologize for my lateness (*puts the work bag on the table*).

MagsJ wrote:_

Well, Kathrina has already explained it quite well, as I have seen.

Kathrina wrote:I think that the four groups do not actually have to be but are isolated from each other, because they have isolated themselves from each other and keep doing it. Some do it, as Otto wrote, with intention, the others do it without intention (see: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 7#p2805135 ).

The reason for the isolation of the groups is an ancient one. People want to separate themselves from other people. It's about recognition, respectableness, power. Since all the barriers associated with the concrete counterpart of a person or group no longer exist on the internet, this isolation becomes even more apparent.

No good news? I know, you'll make the best of it.
Otto

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:40 pm

Kathrina wrote:Do you have an explanation for the phenomenon that most of those who habitually comment in the philosophical subforum "Religion and Spirituality" seem to be less nervous than most of those who habitually comment in the other philosophical subforums?

Yes, I have.

This commentators belong mostly to group IV.

Otto wrote:Do you think that you could be isolated in this webforum?

You could belong to one of these four groups:

I) An isolated group that knows about its isolation and wants to drive others into isolation.
II) An isolated group that knows about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation.
III) An isolated group that does not know about its isolation and wants to drive others into isolation.
IV) An isolated group that does not know about its isolation and does not want to drive others into isolation.

Feel free to come out of the closet. :lol:

Please copy the following depiction, fill in your position within one of the four groups and post it.

FF.png
FF.png (7.97 KiB) Viewed 624 times

Thank you.

:)
Otto

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:49 pm

Does anyone here want to deny that these groups exist?

I don't think so. 8)

Have a nice evening.
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:33 am

Otto wrote:Does anyone here want to deny that these groups exist?

I don't think so. 8)

Have a nice evening.

They may well exist, but I’m not in any one group.. I don’t come to ILP with any intentions in mind.

I have noticed the different cliques here tho, and I think it very small-minded a thing.. and then there are those that talk to their own sock-puppets, who tell them(selves) how great they are.. I find such things puzzling, but perhaps I’m just far too mature to accept that as ok to do.

I’ll take a troll over a sock-puppet, any day.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby Otto » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:59 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Otto wrote:Does anyone here want to deny that these groups exist?

I don't think so. 8)

Have a nice evening.

They may well exist, but I’m not in any one group.. I don’t come to ILP with any intentions in mind.

I have noticed the different cliques here tho, and I think it very small-minded a thing.. and then there are those that talk to their own sock-puppets, who tell them(selves) how great they are.. I find such things puzzling, but perhaps I’m just far too mature to accept that as ok to do.

I’ll take a troll over a sock-puppet, any day.

We all have intentions, the only question is in which situations we have them.

I would say, (a) you are neutral, as you should be as a moderator, which you were in former times, or (b) you try to touch all groups equally, which is also quite moderator-like, or (c) you are, if you do not know about the isolation of your group and want to drive others into isolation, in group III, namely very close to the other groups, or (d) you are, if you do not know about the isolation of your group and do not want to drive others into isolation, in group IV, namely very close to the other groups. (Note: The fact that you have said you "take a troll over a sock-puppet" is in your case indicative of group III, not of group IV, because group IV is free of trolls.)

FF_GM_GIIIm1m1_GIVm1p1.png
FF_GM_GIIIm1m1_GIVm1p1.png (23.46 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:30 am

Otto wrote:We all have intentions, the only question is in which situations we have them.

=; Basic!

I would say, (a) you are neutral, as you should be as a moderator, which you were in former times, or (b) you try to touch all groups equally, which is also quite moderator-like, or (c) you are, if you do not know about the isolation of your group and want to drive others into isolation, in group III, namely very close to the other groups, or (d) you are, if you do not know about the isolation of your group and do not want to drive others into isolation, in group IV, namely very close to the other groups. (Note: The fact that you have said you "take a troll over a sock-puppet" is in your case indicative of group III, not of group IV, because group IV is free of trolls.)

..like I said, I’m not in any one group and I prefer trolls to sock-puppets, and yet you read the unsaid into my published fact.

Imma gonna take my self off to the Mensa sites, because.. ya know. :icon-rolleyes:
MagsJ

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat