obsrvr524 and iambiguous contend

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: obsrvr524 and iambiguous contend

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 pm

iambiguous wrote:Imagine hypothetically three Christian missionaries set out to save the souls of three different native tribes. The first one is successful. The folks in the first tribe accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior and are baptized in the faith. The second is not successful. The folks in the second tribe refuse to accept Christ as their personal savior and instead continue to embrace their own god...their own religion. The third missionary is not even able to find the tribe he was sent out to save.

Or -
Imagine hypothetically three doctors set out to save the future of three different native tribes from the use of fentanyl. The first one is successful. The folks in the first tribe accepted the doctor's advice as their personal health professional and are willing to follow their faith in his advice. The second is not successful. The folks in the second tribe refuse to accept the doctor as their wise physician and instead continue to embrace their own musings...their own witch doctor. The third doctor is not even able to find the tribe he was sent out to save from the lethal drug - suspecting to be too late.

Perhaps it is just yet another "intellectual contraption" you are willing to criticize even without the slightest capability of comprehending what you are ranting about. Attention hounds do that - a lot.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #1

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:56 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Imagine hypothetically three Christian missionaries set out to save the souls of three different native tribes. The first one is successful. The folks in the first tribe accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior and are baptized in the faith. The second is not successful. The folks in the second tribe refuse to accept Christ as their personal savior and instead continue to embrace their own god...their own religion. The third missionary is not even able to find the tribe he was sent out to save.

Or -
Imagine hypothetically three doctors set out to save the future of three different native tribes from the use of fentanyl. The first one is successful. The folks in the first tribe accepted the doctor's advice as their personal health professional and are willing to follow their faith in his advice. The second is not successful. The folks in the second tribe refuse to accept the doctor as their wise physician and instead continue to embrace their own musings...their own witch doctor. The third doctor is not even able to find the tribe he was sent out to save from the lethal drug - suspecting to be too late.

Perhaps it is just yet another "intellectual contraption" you are willing to criticize even without the slightest capability of comprehending what you are ranting about. Attention hounds do that - a lot.

Huh?!!!

In the first scenario, the very souls of these folks are on the line. And for all of eternity.

In the second scenario, only the health of particular mere mortals is on the line. And only then until they die.

You do grasp that distinction, don't you?

And then the part you ignored:

Sure, why not. If this is what you are actually able to think yourself into believing "explains" it, then, for you, it does. And of course this includes, down through the years, all of the millions of miscarried babies in the womb. And the still born. Just figure that God -- the Real God for instance -- has it all worked out in His head.

Let that comfort and console you.

Next up: God and the scumbag liberals.

An "intellectual contraption" would be one in which a discussion of God and Heaven is encompassed entirely in a world of words...without any reference at all to babies and miscarriages and adults and missionaries and native people.

The kind that James would prefer in regard to the Real God.

Unless, of course, you can link me to posts of his in which he responded substantively to philosophy girl's points or mine.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Again attention seeking dogs might bark about an absence of color. But despite his desperation for love and petting, I'm not going to argue with him about it.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #1

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:09 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:Again attention seeking dogs might bark about an absence of color. But despite his desperation for love and petting, I'm not going to argue with him about it.

Again, as undignified [even childish] as it might be, I can't help but take delight in reducing minds like his down to claptrap like this.

As with James, he comes in here with this no doubt "years in the making" intellectual contraption. His very own overarching, authoritarian TOE. But: the only time he brings it down to earth is to pontificate about all those liberal scumbags who refuse to recognize that only those in "The Coalition of Truth" [him and Wendy] get to say what the Truth is.

Just another run-of-the-mill chickenshit objectivist from my point of view.

Unless of course I'm wrong. Only he won't go there in order to make the attempt to demonstrate it.

Note to others:

If you ever do come across a post of his that attempts to bring those turgid intellectual contraptions of his down out of the ideological clouds, please bring it to my attention on this thread.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy