Post Count

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Post Count

Postby derleydoo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Someone is artificially manipulating the number of views a thread receives. Do we know who, how, and why? :-k A thread that I posted recorded over 4000 views in 48 hours. A similar figure for Mowk. Mr R. had a thread that received over 2000 views in the same time (Mister R, please don't tell me your figure is accurate due to your super cooldom! :) 8)).

It may be there is a simple explanation - perhaps the site owner is merely trying to give the impression the board receives more visitors than is the case. (If it does have something to do with you, Carleas, please feel free to remove this post immediately!)

And so it continues:
Screenshot 11.56
derleydoo thread recorded 131,459 views
Mowk thread recorded 161,388 views

Screenshot 11.58
derleydoo recorded 131,490 +31
Mowk thread recorded 161,428 +40

3 registered users and 19 guests online!
derleydoo
Thinker

Re: Post Count

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 pm

_
19 guests? Now that’s an unusually high number..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby derleydoo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
19 guests? Now that’s an unusually high number..

Thanks MagsJ, that's cleared up that little mystery! #-o

And sorry to Mr R. His was the latest entry in a thread started by Zero Sum.

Screenshot 11.58

Screenshot 15.37
derleydoo 131,918
mowk 162,090

4 registered users. 1 hidden. 38 guest users.
Last edited by derleydoo on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:43 pm

_
Who on Earth are all these guests and where are they coming from.. :-k
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm

my guess, aliens trying to check out if there is intelligent
life on earth..... and frankly, I am not sure how well we are doing.....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby derleydoo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm

Thank you, Mr. Kropotkin. Every bit as helpful as MagsJ. :lol:
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm

I aim to please....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:51 pm

For me the classic example of this is here:

From promethean75's Desperate Degenerate Support Group thread:

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Why does this thread have 17000 views in one day? WTF?

promethean75 wrote:I've got a small... well big... fan base, man, but I never wanted it this way. I keep trying to tell them, but they won't stop following me.

Sure, maybe.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby derleydoo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm

iambiguous wrote:For me the classic example of this is here:

promethean75 wrote:I've got a small... well big... fan base, man, but I never wanted it this way. I keep trying to tell them, but they won't stop following me.

Sure, maybe.

Oh I see! So you're suggesting I have taken Prom's fanbase. That did not occur to me. So very obvious now it's pointed out! I am indebted to you, Iam.

You do realise this thread falls into the category of Yak yak yakking? :lol:
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 pm

derleydoo wrote:
iambiguous wrote:For me the classic example of this is here:

Sure, maybe.

Oh I see! So you're suggesting I have taken Prom's fanbase. That did not occur to me. So very obvious now it's pointed out! I am indebted to you, Iam.

No, that's you suggesting that this is what I am suggesting. I am merely pointing out another instance in which the view count seems to have been "manipulated".

derleydoo wrote:You do realise this thread falls into the category of Yak yak yakking? :lol:

You started the thread. So, you tell me if the discussion is just yak, yak, yakking.

On the other hand, if someone is able to manipulate the view count here, who is to say what else is being manipulated? Something considerably more substantive for example.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby derleydoo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:46 pm

I have no idea what you require from a thread! The original post was, and still is a serious enquiry. You responded, and I made a joke of it. For some obscure reason, you took me seriously. Yak yak yak? I believe every single conversation/exchange, contains philosophical content. You seem to think philosophy should follow a certain path. In my view, life doesn't work like that. Life is short and passes extremely quickly. I don't believe it's wise to spend one's time being too serious. Yak yak yak for long enough and eventually you'll hit upon some pretty serious philosophy/truth.
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm

derleydoo wrote:I have no idea what you require from a thread! The original post was, and still is a serious enquiry. You responded, and I made a joke of it. For some obscure reason, you took me seriously. Yak yak yak? I believe every single conversation/exchange, contains philosophical content. You seem to think philosophy should follow a certain path. In my view, life doesn't work like that. Life is short and passes extremely quickly. I don't believe it's wise to spend one's time being too serious. Yak yak yak for long enough and eventually you'll hit upon some pretty serious philosophy/truth.

That's your frame of mind. But: I'm not exactly inside your head in order to grasp your motivations and intentions. What, I'm supposed to just know when you're joking and when you're not?

At the same time, you're not inside my head to grasp my own motivations and intention in regard to philosophy.

Well, okay, I attempted just recently to explain that to Berkley on this thread: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=196616

Oh, and when I'm more or less joking around in a post I'll use this: :wink: Or this: 8)

Other than that, it sounds like a personal problem to me.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Carleas » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:02 am

derleydoo wrote:It may be there is a simple explanation - perhaps the site owner is merely trying to give the impression the board receives more visitors than is the case.

Nope, I'm stubbornly committed to the truth. Here's a screenshot of past year's traffic from Google Analytics, which I consider a more accurate representation of site traffic (sorry for the size):
Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 20.42.08.png
Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 20.42.08.png (87.48 KiB) Viewed 152 times

The solid line is this year, the dotted line is last year. I'm not entirely sure why there was a bump in the first half of the year, since it begins before the pandemic and ends abruptly at not point in particular. I think maybe I fixed our DDOS protections around that time, but that assumes a sudden spike in bots that Google can't tell are bots but Cloudflare can, and almost no bots before then (since the reduced numbers are approximately equal to the previous year).

Anyway, this is the real traffic, and January looks to be a slow month, in line with historical numbers.

Cloudflare says we're getting a weird amount of traffic from France and Surinam, so almost certainly not real. I've turned on extra filtering to see if that fixes it.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 am

i have always had the impression that millions of people from all around the world come to my thread and check all the time just to see if ive made a new post. i have no evidence that this is true, but it feels true.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 am

Carleas wrote:Here's a screenshot of past year's traffic from Google Analytics, which I consider a more accurate representation of site traffic (sorry for the size):

I did it.. #-o

I bet he says that to [b]all the ladies ; ) ba-dum tish![/b]

Apologies Carleas, I couldn’t help it.. O:)
MagsJ

Postby derleydoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 pm

Where we began:

And so it continues:
Screenshot 11.56
derleydoo thread recorded 131,459 views
Mowk thread recorded 161,388 views

Screenshot 11.58

3 registered users and 19 guests online!

Where we are at 11.10 13/01

derleydoo: 133,830 views
mowk: 165,020 views

Well, with no further evidence submitted there can only be one conclusion. Thousands of people visit on a daily basis to see if Mr R has posted anew. Whilst here, they read posts from derleydoo. They then read posts from Mowk - on the assumption that Mowk is a sock puppet of derleydoo. Case closed. Thanks to all contributors.
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 pm

makes sense

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:makes sense

Your Twitter followers followed you here, huh?
MagsJ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:37 pm

no way of knowing really. i just assume that people all across the world are constantly tuned in everywhere to see what i have to say.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:no way of knowing really. i just assume that people all across the world are constantly tuned in everywhere to see what i have to say.

:lol:

Coz you’re that interesting huh? Maybe sometimes, but certainly not always.
MagsJ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 pm

maybe always

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby derleydoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!
derleydoo
Thinker

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:50 pm

derleydoo wrote:

Circle jerking much.
MagsJ

Postby derleydoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:54 pm

MagsJ wrote:
derleydoo wrote:

Circle jerking much.

Aw, don't be bitter, MagsJ. The comment made me laugh. I love laughing. Good medicine, don't you know.
derleydoo
Thinker

Return to Meta