A Discussion of Moderation

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby MagsJ » Mon May 17, 2021 3:08 pm

encode_decode wrote:
Magnus Anderson wrote:But who's sock-puppet?

Yeah, hahaha. I wrote a big post about it yesterday but decided not to post it.

..good for you.

I have an amazing memory.. I remember everything.. let’s leave things there.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22486
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby encode_decode » Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Shhhhhh...lol...good for you though, MagsJ.

MagsJ wrote:
encode_decode wrote:Yeah, hahaha. I wrote a big post about it yesterday but decided not to post it.

..good for you.

I have an amazing memory.. I remember everything.. let’s leave things there.

Like before...I kept it to amuse myself at a later date...one more and I can say that I am officially building a collection.

:D
I will build a nerdlike structure in 2021
User avatar
encode_decode
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Location: Nebula

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon May 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Here's an example of two pretty bad threads that in my opinion no forum should tolerate:

A New Ontological Argument
https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=197044

Several questions for the Trump cult followers
https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=197023

The first has a confusing opening post (I don't think it's just me) but that's not the main problem. The main problem is the shit-posting of Ecmandu. He's the author of 7 out of 14 posts in that thread and each one of his posts has little to nothing to do with the subject.

The second one is your standard Peter Kropotkin "Let's berate conservatives" thread mixed with prom's memes and Sculptor's sneers. He asks a bunch of questions that noone answers because noone believes that Peter is interested in listening to what other people have to say something he proves later on in the thread when he declares that the lack of response from Trump supporters is a proof that Trumpism is an indefensible ideology.

Why would anyone want characters like these on an Internet forum (or anywhere else, for that matter)?
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby promethean75 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Please use commas where they are appropriate, Magnus Anderson.

"He asks a bunch of questions that noone answers because noone believes that Peter is interested in listening to what other people have to say, something he proves later on in the thread when he declares that the lack of response from Trump supporters is a proof that Trumpism is an indefensible ideology."
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon May 17, 2021 6:09 pm

I'm not good with commas.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Ecmandu » Mon May 17, 2021 6:14 pm

Magnus,

You have no clue how brilliant my posts are. Sure, I have one-offers just like anyone.

When I explained platonic forms to a person who was making a post about ‘trianglular perfection’, it’s fucking genius dude. It was on topic.

Then, someone gets into creator shit with me. I laid shit down about that. I do have special access to knowledge and wisdom about those things. My posts were also humble... though I speak with force (learned how to do that to survive hell).

You’re way off base here Magnus.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby promethean75 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:36 pm

That's just nonsense Magnus because I've seen beautifully placed commas in your posts before. You're just having a bad day but you'll be fine. any major dude will tell you
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Ecmandu » Mon May 17, 2021 7:02 pm

Magnus,

I’m going to be very straight forward with you.

Before you judge me in a meta sense, micro shit doesn’t bother me.

You need to understand that I’m a machine adapted to surviving hell. You’ve never seen hell magnus; I have.

I know enough about hell to even know that it gets worse than what I’ve been through.

I don’t think you get it dude. My weird fucking posts are handling demons from all over existence to give you a better fucking day.

Think about that next time you call me an insane troll.

You don’t know what you’re talking about man.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby promethean75 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 pm

allegedly 'handling demons', ur honor. The defense offers no evidence and we ask that this statement be dismissed as irrelevant material.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Ecmandu » Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 pm

promethean75 wrote:allegedly 'handling demons', ur honor. The defense offers no evidence and we ask that this statement be dismissed as irrelevant material.


Actually, demons can be pretty cool. It’s just a way I could explain it for someone who doesn’t know much because of how language evolved.

When you really understand it ‘angels’ and ‘demons’ can both fuck shit up.

All this shit is telepathic. And I’m holding the fort down. I’m a force of nature. Not a boss.

Beings from all over existence ask me questions. I answer them. They like me for that.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 pm

Ecmandu wrote:You have no clue how brilliant my posts are. [..] it’s fucking genius dude.


There is a saying that goes something like "Show, don't tell".

"Telling" is fine so as long you're doing it for the first few times. But since pretty much everyone here knows what you think you are, there is no longer any need for it.

Have some respect for your readers (:

My posts were also humble...


I am told the word "humble" means "having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's importance". Since you think you're creating "a new plan" for everyone -- literally everyone in existence -- I'd say you consider yourself to be pretty much important, if not the most important person in the world.

Let's derail this thread with stories about how great you are.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Ecmandu » Mon May 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:You have no clue how brilliant my posts are. [..] it’s fucking genius dude.


There is a saying that goes something like "Show, don't tell".

"Telling" is fine so as long you're doing it for the first few times. But since pretty much everyone here knows what you think you are, there is no longer any need for it.

Have some respect for your readers (:

My posts were also humble...


I am told the word "humble" means "having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's importance". Since you think you're creating "a new plan" for everyone -- literally everyone in existence -- I'd say you consider yourself to be pretty much important, if not the most important person in the world.

Let's derail this thread with stories about how great you are.


Magnus,

Part of being humble is being realistic, even if others don’t like it. If you are not realistic, you are not humble, you’re a fucking nut.

I know I’m making a new plan for existence. What am I supposed to say to people? That I’m their equal? That’s insanity. Any spirit that gazed upon my life realizes it’s exceptional. Am I going to be an asshole to all of them and say that it’s not extraordinary at all. I’d be insulting them.

I’m a realist. Part of being a realist is excepting respect when it’s due.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Ecmandu » Mon May 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Magnus,

Besides the above post, I’m going to refer you to this post as well:

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 2#p2816172
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Otto » Mon May 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Ecmandu wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:what if you found out that i was literally every account on ilp except you and that for years you've just been having conversations with 1 dude?


What if you found out that everyone on earth was just the same dude besides you?

What if you found out that God was the only one besides you?

Note to others:

Maybe we should have God as our moderator.

What do you think about that?
User avatar
Otto
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Kathrina » Wed May 19, 2021 2:00 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:Here's an example of two pretty bad threads that in my opinion no forum should tolerate:

A New Ontological Argument
https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=197044

Several questions for the Trump cult followers
https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=197023

The first has a confusing opening post (I don't think it's just me) but that's not the main problem. The main problem is the shit-posting of Ecmandu. He's the author of 7 out of 14 posts in that thread and each one of his posts has little to nothing to do with the subject.

The second one is your standard Peter Kropotkin "Let's berate conservatives" thread mixed with prom's memes and Sculptor's sneers. He asks a bunch of questions that noone answers because noone believes that Peter is interested in listening to what other people have to say something he proves later on in the thread when he declares that the lack of response from Trump supporters is a proof that Trumpism is an indefensible ideology.

Why would anyone want characters like these on an Internet forum (or anywhere else, for that matter)?

=D>

Meanwhile, the subforum "Religion and Spirituality" is more philosophical than the subforum "Philosophy", and the subforum "SGE" seems to be a terror subforum. That makes one think, doesn't it?

And why should anyone be interested in convincing someone who insanely believes to be a "progressive", but is also conservative (because: everyone is conservative). There are no "progressives" - those who call themselves so are exclusively anti-conservatives, although conservatives too, but just dissatisfied with their own situation.

The real Kropotkin (1842-1921), was at least a soldier before he became a "revolutionary", i.e., an atheist and an anarchist/communist. So he made at least a little change.

According to his own statements, the ILP-Kropotkin was always an atheist and always an anarchist/communist. He never made a change. How boring! How conservative! He is actually so conservative that it is impossible to be more conservative! He has always been left, always, always .... How boring and without any change. He has probably experienced as good as nothing and transfers his being conservative, to which he must not stand, to others who know that everybody is conservative anyway and it depends only on the measure of being conservative. It is not possible to convince someone like the ILP Kropotkin, because he is too conservative, hiding this behind a trial of being anti-conservative. He is like the conservative dinosaurs, the reactionary bullheads in the former Soviet Union and today's China.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Kathrina » Wed May 19, 2021 2:20 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:Hey encode,

Yes, the title of the thread is misleading (the thread should have been called "Book: Decline and Fall of all Evil") and the original post presents no thesis (since it's a thread dedicated to exploring a book.) And yes, as you note, that's against the rules (the written ones, at least.)

Personally, if you ask me, I'd have a rule that says that the opening post of every thread must be an argument.

Or a question! A good philosopher should be a good questioner.

One could proceed in such a way that opening posts that do not contain arguments or questions are moved to the non-philosophical chat subforum. In case of repetition, a warning or ban will be issued.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Kathrina
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 am

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby encode_decode » Wed May 19, 2021 8:15 am

Kathrina wrote:Or a question! A good philosopher should be a good questioner.

One could proceed in such a way that opening posts that do not contain arguments or questions are moved to the non-philosophical chat subforum. In case of repetition, a warning or ban will be issued.

Yes, I agree with: good questioner - actually a good question can encourage a fruitful conversation much like a good argument.
User avatar
encode_decode
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Location: Nebula

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby encode_decode » Wed May 19, 2021 8:20 am

Otto wrote:Maybe we should have God as our moderator.

What do you think about that?

I think you have a sense of humor - I think a sense of humor is a good thing. It can help us stay sane.

That is what I think.
User avatar
encode_decode
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1827
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Location: Nebula

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Otto » Fri May 21, 2021 10:58 pm

encode_decode wrote:
Kathrina wrote:Or a question! A good philosopher should be a good questioner.

One could proceed in such a way that opening posts that do not contain arguments or questions are moved to the non-philosophical chat subforum. In case of repetition, a warning or ban will be issued.

Yes, I agree with: good questioner - actually a good question can encourage a fruitful conversation much like a good argument.

To be able to ask means to be able to wait, even for a lifetime.

"For the pensive God hates untimely growth." - J. C. F. Hölderlin.

encode_decode wrote:
Otto wrote:Maybe we should have God as our moderator.

What do you think about that?

I think you have a sense of humor - I think a sense of humor is a good thing. It can help us stay sane.

That is what I think.

Thanks. Thanks to God as well.
User avatar
Otto
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Great Again » Sat May 22, 2021 12:09 am

Otto wrote:
encode_decode wrote:
Kathrina wrote:Or a question! A good philosopher should be a good questioner.

One could proceed in such a way that opening posts that do not contain arguments or questions are moved to the non-philosophical chat subforum. In case of repetition, a warning or ban will be issued.

Yes, I agree with: good questioner - actually a good question can encourage a fruitful conversation much like a good argument.

To be able to ask means to be able to wait, even for a lifetime.

"For the pensive God hates untimely growth." - J. C. F. Hölderlin.

A good quote.

On the importance of questions I wrote in another thread:

Great Again wrote:If it is true that the affectivity state of mood - the moodiness - is the basic event of our existence, something like a basic existential way of the equally original comprehension of world (cf. Heidegger), depending on its way it uncovers the being in the whole (cf. Heidegger), then it is extraordinarily important for the epistemology, because it predetermines the knowledge. It decides for or against knowledge in certain ways.

This also explains the question that you, Obsvr, asked once, namely: whether it is not better to orient oneself not according to truth and reality, but according to the prohibitions and commandments of power. Back then, I thought that was the most important question I have read here on ILP so far.

The state of feeling is important; but so is the knowledge. I am assuming that feeling is something irrational (which is not the same as anti-rational) and knowledge is something rational. If now the affectivity determines whether it wants to participate in knowledge at all and, if so, decides in favor of certain knowledge, then the power and lobby of knowledge can not resist against it at first, but later it can make the affectivity its subject in order to be able to influence it then, so that the affectivity would be tricked and only "believed" to determine, although in reality it got into dependence on the power and lobby of knowledge.

It is similar with the rational and irrational numbers in mathematics. At first, mathematics faces the irrational numbers powerlessly, but then it makes them its subject and integrates them, so that it - mathematics, which sees itself as something rational - gets power over the irrational. Mathematics still understands itself as something rational and has integrated much irrational, i.e. has learned to control it.
Image
User avatar
Great Again
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby WendyDarling » Fri May 28, 2021 10:00 pm

My vote for moderator is for Phyllo.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby iambiguous » Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 pm

WendyDarling wrote:My vote for moderator is for Phyllo.


Karpel Tunnel and felix dakat concur. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 42181
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Otto » Sat May 29, 2021 1:09 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:
encode_decode wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Magnus A is a sock-puppet.. I can tell.

No way! I would never have guessed. He seems legit.

Seriously though, really?

:lol:


But who's sock-puppet?

:lol:

If I may guess:

Magnus Anderson and Obsvr could be sock-puppets of James S. Saint.

Magnus functions as a provocative questioner and moralizer, Obsvr functions as an admirer and deputy ("on earth") of James S. Saint ("in heaven").

:lol:

But please note that this is not an assertion, but a guess.
User avatar
Otto
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Artimas » Sat May 29, 2021 7:31 am

I would mod but would have to get on here more, like I used to.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat May 29, 2021 6:17 pm

when you find a dude on the internet who talks about meta demons and how they can sometimes be cool you just kinda stand back with your popcorn and watch him wind himself up and go
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 29637
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

PreviousNext

Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users