Don't feed a troll

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 am

phyllo wrote:
embodiment of Hell itself
I don't believe in hell, salvation, omniscience, omnipotence, omnibenevolence. Therefore, I have nothing to say about it. You need to find someone else.


This all came up given the trajectory of the thread. Not because I went looking for you.

And my whole argument is that to focus in on what you construe to be the Real Me "at that point in time" fails to grasp the manner in which, from the day you are born, "I" is shaped and molded by thousands upon thousands of existential variables you will only ever have so much understanding and control over.

Right?


phyllo wrote: The "real me at that point in time" is the product of all experiences built on a foundation of genes. It seems to cover everything.


Yeah, that might make sense in a wholly determined universe. But to the extent that human beings have a measure of free will is the extent to which what they think constitutes the Real Me here and now in regard to their value judgments, is really just the tail end of a life bursting at the seams with all of those thousands of variables they don't have a complete understanding or control over.

The part you simply shrug off as, what, not worth thinking about?

phyllo wrote: I imagine you have some particular idea about what the "real me" is or what it should be. Maybe somehow detached from random experience? Not sure how that would work.


Having an idea about it 'in your head" and actually believing that you are in sync with it in regard to the behaviors you choose derived from value judgments that are largely just moral and political prejudices rooted in dasein, is embedded in a gap that the objectivists just shrug off in turn.

Nothing gets in the way of their being absolutely certain that if it were not for the liberal scumbags and the conservative scumbags, the world would practically be paradise.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 39848
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby phyllo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:20 am

Yeah, that might make sense in a wholly determined universe. But to the extent that human beings have a measure of free will is the extent to which what they think constitutes the Real Me here and now in regard to their value judgments, is really just the tail end of a life bursting at the seams with all of those thousands of variables they don't have a complete understanding or control over.

The part you simply shrug off as, what, not worth thinking about?
Wholly determined or free will...

Another philosophical problem not worth thinking about.

Either way, I make exactly the same decisions, in exactly the same way.

Nothing changes. I have the same amount of power and control as I have now.
Having an idea about it 'in your head" and actually believing that you are in sync with it in regard to the behaviors you choose derived from value judgments that are largely just moral and political prejudices rooted in dasein, is embedded in a gap that the objectivists just shrug off in turn.

Nothing gets in the way of their being absolutely certain that if it were not for the liberal scumbags and the conservative scumbags, the world would practically be paradise.
That still doesn't explain what you think a "real me" is or ought to be.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12161
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 am

Phyllo,

You really don’t get it (and I don’t judge you for that)

Hell is as real as you live and breathe.

I’ve been there. This is not schizophrenia. I’ve actually been there.

It’s not what you think or imagine. It’s much worse.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11458
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:51 am

phyllo wrote:
Yeah, that might make sense in a wholly determined universe. But to the extent that human beings have a measure of free will is the extent to which what they think constitutes the Real Me here and now in regard to their value judgments, is really just the tail end of a life bursting at the seams with all of those thousands of variables they don't have a complete understanding or control over.

The part you simply shrug off as, what, not worth thinking about?
Wholly determined or free will...

Another philosophical problem not worth thinking about.

Either way, I make exactly the same decisions, in exactly the same way.

Nothing changes. I have the same amount of power and control as I have now.


Look, if you are foolish enough to actually believe this, I'd be more a fool in attempting to change your mind.

Having an idea about it 'in your head" and actually believing that you are in sync with it in regard to the behaviors you choose derived from value judgments that are largely just moral and political prejudices rooted in dasein, is embedded in a gap that the objectivists just shrug off in turn.

Nothing gets in the way of their being absolutely certain that if it were not for the liberal scumbags and the conservative scumbags, the world would practically be paradise.


phyllo wrote: That still doesn't explain what you think a "real me" is or ought to be.


I can't explain it better than simply pointing to those who insist that they do know what it is because in regard to their own moral and political value judgments, they are convinced they choose the right behaviors because they do know who they are and the person that they are knows the difference between right and wrong. Period.

How hard is this to understand given that there are any number of people right here who act that out in post after post after post.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 39848
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby phyllo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:28 am

I suspect that nothing I say will change your thinking about any of this stuff.

Oddly enough you seem to be as certain about your ideas regarding determinism and "real me" as these people you have just described.

You're probably just as certain about essential meaning, god, objectivists.

Unless you're wrong of course. But you don't act with the restraint of a doubtful person.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12161
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:43 am

phyllo wrote:I suspect that nothing I say will change your thinking about any of this stuff.

Oddly enough you seem to be as certain about your ideas regarding determinism and "real me" as these people you have just described.

You're probably just as certain about essential meaning, god, objectivists.

Unless you're wrong of course. But you don't act with the restraint of a doubtful person.


Look, when I note the underlying assumptions I make about the human condition as being derived from this...

1] I argue that while philosophers may go in search of wisdom, this wisdom is always truncated by the gap between what philosophers think they know [about anything] and all that there is to be known in order to grasp the human condition in the context of existence itself. That bothers some. When it really begins to sink in that this quest is ultimately futile, some abandon philosophy altogether. Instead, they stick to the part where they concentrate fully on living their lives "for all practical purposes" from day to day.

2] I suggest in turn it appears reasonable that, in a world sans God, the human brain is but more matter wholly in sync [as a part of nature] with the laws of matter. And, thus, anything we think, feel, say or do is always only that which we were ever able to think, feel, say and do. And that includes philosophers. Some will inevitably find that disturbing. If they can't know for certain that they possess autonomy, they can't know for certain that their philosophical excursions are in fact of their own volition.

3] And then the part where, assuming some measure of autonomy, I suggest that "I" in the is/ought world is basically an existential contraption interacting with other existential contraptions in a world teeming with conflicting goods --- and in contexts in which wealth and power prevails in the political arena. The part where "I" becomes fractured and fragmented.


...others will either accept that this is how I think and feel about it and accept in turn that it doesn't give me much of a foundation to grapple with and grasp even the either/or world with any degree of certainty, or they are convinced that on the contrary I am just as adamant about all this as the objectivist here are in regard to their Real Me self in the is/ought world.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 39848
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:08 pm

phyllo wrote:Hell.

My reasoning is simple.

I'm skeptical of personal accounts like Ecmandu's.

The holy books are contradictory.

If there are no personal gods, then there seems to be no reason for hell.

If there are just personal gods, then hell would be an unfair punishment. So it can't exist.

If there are unjust personal gods, then I can't avoid hell by being a 'good boy' because I can't trust that the gods will reward my efforts. Therefore, hell is not a valid factor in my decisions. I don't worry about it.
Yes, I understand this. It's not how I would word it, but even if one encountered a deity and this deity had what seemed (it's gonna be seemed, see below) omnipotence, and this deity said, pedophilia is good, engage in it or go to hell

several epistemological issues remain.

1) you hear God and are convinced it is God AND you feel revulsion for pedophilia. Why listen to one seeming reason to do something over the other. Both are subjective. you may think you have encountered a deity, but be wrong. You may think you have encountered the perfect argument and think all these rational people are being convinced and be deluded. Even this is side of the is ought divide has an asterisk. It is you who are convinced and you are fallible. And honestly I am leery of anyone who would immediately do the bidding of a deity when it goes against their deepest revulsions. Hence my reference to the Nazi (agents of Stalin, Khmer Rouge, etc.) earlier.
2) Perhaps Abraham was wrong to follow the order from God. Let's say that story is correct in terms of the dialogue between God and Abraham and what Abraham and God did. STILLLLLL!!!! Abraham might have failed the test. Perhaps God does not want someone who simply follows orders, even against their feelings of love. Perhaps God retreaated into the clouds, so disappointed in this creature he has respected and whose heart he had given him. You cannot escape the responsibility of 'following God's orders', you are still responsible.
3) By what criteria does one distinguish between God, a minor diety, a demiurge, the devil. You are going to have to trust your intuition. And presumably your intuition is already saying you don't want to have sex with kids. So, to listen to God or some other powerful entity claiming to be God means you trust your intuition to identify this being while at the same time denying your intuition against pedophilia. And God would presumably know this.

I understand this was Ecmandu's hell, but your response seemed more widely relevant.

Maybe there should be a thread on Hell.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby phyllo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:09 pm

You gotta have faith.

Trust in your abilities, you reasoning, your intuition ... all that you have been given and all that you have built up over the years.

There is no guarantee that you won't make a mistake and that you won't go down the wrong path.

That's just the way it is.

Personally, if God spoke to me, I would think that I went schizo. Thank God that God is mute.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12161
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:40 pm

phyllo wrote:You gotta have faith.

Trust in your abilities, you reasoning, your intuition ... all that you have been given and all that you have built up over the years.
The moment someone argues against this, they are, I think, contradicting themselves. How could they know that their argument makes sense? for example.

There is no guarantee that you won't make a mistake and that you won't go down the wrong path.

That's just the way it is.
Unless there is, in fact, a guarantee, but then it's somehow built into the system, behind the scenes - and it's not something I can whip out on a piece of paper or taje someone/something to court over and demonstrate it's in the law.

Personally, if God spoke to me, I would think that I went schizo. Thank God that God is mute.
Perhaps the voice is really soothing :D
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:55 pm

I was thinking Phyllo that one of the things that I think has led to a gap in communication is

implicit claims.

Some people do not take responsibility for their implicit claims. One would be the one I mentioned above.

Posts have all sorts of implicit claims to knowledge. Especially online, but in general many people, and trolls in particular, do not take responsibility for these.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:02 pm

By the way....

I’m an atheist. I know the spirit world exists as well. I didn’t want to know that, but now I do. Spirits are the equivalent of ‘god’, they can do all sorts of shit... maybe your great grandmother sets you up on a date.

That’s the real shit.

Me being sent to hell was a misunderstanding. It was meaningless. But it happened.

I now have 2 skills, I can be the king of hell and I can get along with pretty much anybody.

Not really worth it... but that was my life. Pretty pointless if you ask me.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11458
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Meno_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Removed
Last edited by Meno_ on Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meno_
breathless
 
Posts: 8097
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Meno_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Karpel, the problem with the strain of the flow of philosophy, particularly, is that most or all of it is implicitelly sourced.

For instance parapsychism has this problem, of not being pervy to it's explicit sources. It is either believed, or rejected, even by the one having such experiences, and then others may have their own unfounded opinions. of such claims , thrteof; usually straining off the claim as must another coincidental occurrence.

James comes to mind here, William James, not the homeboy.( hope that expression is not abraisive within that particular context.

What 'i' mean here, is, particularily, in philosophy, even the long held idea of a 'synthetic a-priori' carries the burden of proof, that shifts a demand for expression toward the psychology of any claim associated with it, and that is a heavy burden to carry within 'It's self.


John's logical proof of God uses implicit logical proof as well as St
Anselm, even I have this burden with Sartre's 'self thought man'
Meno_
breathless
 
Posts: 8097
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby phyllo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:I was thinking Phyllo that one of the things that I think has led to a gap in communication is

implicit claims.

Some people do not take responsibility for their implicit claims. One would be the one I mentioned above.

Posts have all sorts of implicit claims to knowledge. Especially online, but in general many people, and trolls in particular, do not take responsibility for these.
Yeah, maybe.

They would have to be prepared to break up their arguments into smaller parts and examine their implicit claims bit by bit.

I can't see that happening any time soon. :(
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12161
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
phyllo wrote:Hell.

My reasoning is simple.

I'm skeptical of personal accounts like Ecmandu's.

The holy books are contradictory.

If there are no personal gods, then there seems to be no reason for hell.

If there are just personal gods, then hell would be an unfair punishment. So it can't exist.

If there are unjust personal gods, then I can't avoid hell by being a 'good boy' because I can't trust that the gods will reward my efforts. Therefore, hell is not a valid factor in my decisions. I don't worry about it.
Yes, I understand this. It's not how I would word it, but even if one encountered a deity and this deity had what seemed (it's gonna be seemed, see below) omnipotence, and this deity said, pedophilia is good, engage in it or go to hell

several epistemological issues remain.

1) you hear God and are convinced it is God AND you feel revulsion for pedophilia. Why listen to one seeming reason to do something over the other. Both are subjective. you may think you have encountered a deity, but be wrong. You may think you have encountered the perfect argument and think all these rational people are being convinced and be deluded. Even this is side of the is ought divide has an asterisk. It is you who are convinced and you are fallible. And honestly I am leery of anyone who would immediately do the bidding of a deity when it goes against their deepest revulsions. Hence my reference to the Nazi (agents of Stalin, Khmer Rouge, etc.) earlier.
2) Perhaps Abraham was wrong to follow the order from God. Let's say that story is correct in terms of the dialogue between God and Abraham and what Abraham and God did. STILLLLLL!!!! Abraham might have failed the test. Perhaps God does not want someone who simply follows orders, even against their feelings of love. Perhaps God retreaated into the clouds, so disappointed in this creature he has respected and whose heart he had given him. You cannot escape the responsibility of 'following God's orders', you are still responsible.
3) By what criteria does one distinguish between God, a minor diety, a demiurge, the devil. You are going to have to trust your intuition. And presumably your intuition is already saying you don't want to have sex with kids. So, to listen to God or some other powerful entity claiming to be God means you trust your intuition to identify this being while at the same time denying your intuition against pedophilia. And God would presumably know this.

I understand this was Ecmandu's hell, but your response seemed more widely relevant.

Maybe there should be a thread on Hell.


On the other hand...

God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe said, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God said, "No"
Abe said, "What?"
God said, "You can do what you want, Abe, but the next time you see me comin', you better run"
Abe said, "Where d'you want this killin' done?"
God said, "Out on Highway 61"


Only imagine God wants Abe to copulate with his son instead.

And, sure, yammer on and on about "epistemological" questions and quandaries.

Or make the assumption instead that this God does in fact exist and can in fact send you to Hell for all of eternity for not obeying Him.

Also, how would his "visceral/intuitive/deep-down-inside-me" Self not in turn be an existential contraption rooted in dasein?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 39848
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
phyllo wrote:You gotta have faith.

Trust in your abilities, you reasoning, your intuition ... all that you have been given and all that you have built up over the years.
The moment someone argues against this, they are, I think, contradicting themselves. How could they know that their argument makes sense? for example.

There is no guarantee that you won't make a mistake and that you won't go down the wrong path.

That's just the way it is.
Unless there is, in fact, a guarantee, but then it's somehow built into the system, behind the scenes - and it's not something I can whip out on a piece of paper or taje someone/something to court over and demonstrate it's in the law.

Personally, if God spoke to me, I would think that I went schizo. Thank God that God is mute.
Perhaps the voice is really soothing :D


I challenge both of them to take this particular "intellectual contraption" exchange down out of the clouds and focus in on a particular set of circumstances.

They can provide us with an exchange that is the opposite of what trolls pursue. And they can examine each others moral and political values in the context of their beliefs about God and religion.

As that relates to their own sense of reality with regard to acquiring and sustaining an identity in a world of conflicting goods from the cradle to the grave.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 39848
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby MagsJ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:18 am

_
:shock: I had a hard on for him? We have disengaged with him because he is too profound?

:lol:

Re: On Moderation
Unread postby Ecmandu » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 22:39
I’ve thought about this a lot since it occurred.

Mag, had a hard-on for me that was unbecoming to Carleas’ insistence that if an actual argument is presented, it’s not trolling.

I’m glad Carleas made that decision in retrospect. I trigger almost everyone on ILP to the point where people don’t even reply to me anymore. I say profound shit in almost every post I make, and who was there for me? Carleas.

Here’s the deal. Even though I make it abundantly clear that people who have sex are evil fucks. (Sex hurts people’s feelings)

Carleas who just had a child, saw fit, through freedom of speech, to keep me on.

I have a lot of respect for how Carleas perceived mag crossing his personal vision boundary.

_
What triggered this revival of said thread, I wonder? :-k
:-" a conversation with another, it seems.

Re: phoneutria and iambiguous don't contend
Postby MagsJ » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 21:23
Zeroeth Nature wrote:
Well, that's somewhat of a relief. And it must have been what kept me from noticing your demotion (I mean, you didn't even get to wear the purple?)...

You can read all about that here, well, you know.. if you really wanna. It’s full of the starring cast members of ILP, most talking from a place of ignorance and ill-information.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 21542
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 am

Mag,

You’re off the deep end. Though I have tons of respect for you having the courage to quote me.

The vision of Carleas is simple. If you have an argument, you are not a troll. You disagreed.

Yes, it was you who brought that thread back.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11458
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby MagsJ » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:59 am

_
Off the deep end? What kind of cheap-shot bullshit is that, that is meant to pass as philosophy.
..that only the emotional use, due to their projected sense of self. Tres ennui pour moi!

I brought the thread back? I didn’t post in it, so no.
Why do such types interrupt, when the grown-ups are talking.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 21542
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:25 am

i think its hilarious that ecmandu posts all this weird incel shit and hates people who have sex and proclaims himself to be so deep and to be saying such insightful shit and then he turns around and demonstrates that he doesnt understand the most basic shit about sex like bruh women dont get hard ons you have to have a penis to get a hard on also your post violates my consent
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 28483
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 am

You guys really don’t get it.

Like I stated before: I’m crazy enough to try to herd cats. That’s about the only crazy I have left in me anymore.

You guys are out of your fucking minds.

I can obviously quote you and explain how ridiculous your posts are. At this point, the shitheads can rule the ILP roost.

I’m trying to tell you how to avoid intense hell first and foremost. I understand that it’s like trying to teach a blind person how to avoid the color green.

This is not projection: you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I’m not threatening you with hell. It exists whether you’ve seen it or not. After I die here (whenever that is), I’m not reincarnating on an earthly plane again.

I’m going to much higher dimensions after this to work on cosmic reconstruction.

You’ll never find satisfaction in a zero sum reality. If that sentence doesn’t wake you up, nothing will.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11458
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 am

ecmandu u r delusional like for real bruh
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 28483
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 am

MagsJ wrote:_
:shock: I had a hard on for him? We have disengaged with him because he is too profound?
This is typical mindreading dominance stuff. Of course such things could be true, but the troll or dominance move is to state it like it is a fact. Or if you are, ahem, a non-objectivist, say it, then say you can't be sure (for the record), but never try to demonstrate that it is true or engage with other possible explanations. Assume the onus is on the other and be smug about the assumption for the gallery.

Most of us I see around ILP have engaged in this type of behavior. But if it is central to your approach you are moving toward trolling. And often the trolls assume that the person they are mindreading has the onus to prove that their claim about what is in your mind is wrong. They have no onus to prove they are psychic or that their claims are true, but you have to demonstrate, here for example that you do not have a hard on for Ecmandu.

I do think that there are different types of problems. Trolling is one, where the actual goal is to trigger others. Another problem is not interacting with ideas. Often this means one labels the other person: communiist, fascist, moron, objectivist, hater. And now the onus is on the other person to demonstrate they are not. IOW the discussion moves into who and what someone is, not the topic.

A third problem is really not understanding how people think at all, and this can include oneself. So, one thinks one has demonstrated something when one has not. This generally shifts over into blame and labeling quite quickly. I said it perfectly, so you are a moron or are evil.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Damn you Karpel,

I can’t let this one slide. Members on this board are handicapped. Now it’s not cool to make fun of handicapped people. When I state very simple things like “nobody will ever find satisfaction in a zero sum reality, and we all live forever, and that means we all go to hell forever”

What I mean also by this is that explaining this to ILP is like telling a blind person to avoid the color green.

It’s absurd for me even to attempt it, but nonetheless, I try. Its like trying to herd cats. It’s somewhat noble.

So here’s the real fool here? Both of us.

I know that mindreading is your number one trigger word. We’ve been through this before. There are inferences people know are true, you use them as well. That’s why you’re so triggered by them.

I don’t want to be anyone’s fucking psychologist dude, I’m tired of that shit... but I will give you axioms.

Truth is, someone in earth is invariably hurt by another person enjoying the zero sum nature of reality. (Which means enjoying it is sadism). Is that who you are? A sadist? By definition, all of you are.

Then Mr. R walks in, a psychopath if I’ve ever met one, and states that my posting violated his consent (therefor I’m a hypocrite)

Ok, let’s analyze this... people can always speak to abuse... it’s the eternal loophole to being a hypocrite.

I’m sure it violates a rapists consent that they found DNA and convicted him or her. Of course it does!! But it doesn’t violate the universal loophole.

I’m actually getting tired of ILPers minds. It’s like talking to a trash bin everyday. I think most of you are extreme psychopaths.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11458
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Don't feed a troll

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Damn you Karpel,

I can’t let this one slide. Members on this board are handicapped. Now it’s not cool to make fun of handicapped people. When I state very simple things like “nobody will ever find satisfaction in a zero sum reality, and we all live forever, and that means we all go to hell forever”

What I mean also by this is that explaining this to ILP is like telling a blind person to avoid the color green.

It’s absurd for me even to attempt it, but nonetheless, I try. Its like trying to herd cats. It’s somewhat noble.

So here’s the real fool here? Both of us.

I know that mindreading is your number one trigger word. We’ve been through this before. There are inferences people know are true, you use them as well. That’s why you’re so triggered by them.

I don’t want to be anyone’s fucking psychologist dude, I’m tired of that shit... but I will give you axioms.

Truth is, someone in earth is invariably hurt by another person enjoying the zero sum nature of reality. (Which means enjoying it is sadism). Is that who you are? A sadist? By definition, all of you are.

Then Mr. R walks in, a psychopath if I’ve ever met one, and states that my posting violated his consent (therefor I’m a hypocrite)

Ok, let’s analyze this... people can always speak to abuse... it’s the eternal loophole to being a hypocrite.

I’m sure it violates a rapists consent that they found DNA and convicted him or her. Of course it does!! But it doesn’t violate the universal loophole.

I’m actually getting tired of ILPers minds. It’s like talking to a trash bin everyday. I think most of you are extreme psychopaths.


My charge by the way of mag having a hardon for me is a common metaphorical colloquium. It means, someone has it out for you.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11458
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users