Horizontal v vertical image uploads.. why?

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Horizontal v vertical image uploads.. why?

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 am

It seems that ILP has a mind of its own, in that one day it uploads images correctly, and on another.. sideways.

What’s up with that? what gives? why? It’s so odd.

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Re: Horizontal v vertical image uploads.. why?

Postby Carleas » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:38 pm

My guess is that this isn't ILP, at least in the sense that ILP isn't changing images as they are uploaded. Other devices/platforms may use other queues cues for orientation, so ILP may be at fault for not being 'smart' in the same way.

Is the same image file displaying differently when uploaded multiple times? I see that the image is displaying correctly now, what was the fix?

EDIT: a word.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Mowk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 pm

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-yo ... y-rotated/

This link may help with the orientation question.

PHP has some tools to rotate images based on EXIF tags that may or may not be implemented. The orientation sensor in a smart phone that takes an image tags it with the orientation of the phone when the picture was taken. PhP is likely ignoring the EXIF tag when the file is uploaded screwing up how the image is displayed.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Carleas wrote:My guess is that this isn't ILP, at least in the sense that ILP isn't changing images as they are uploaded. Other devices/platforms may use other queues for orientation, so ILP may be at fault for not being 'smart' in the same way.

Is the same image file displaying differently when uploaded multiple times? I see that the image is displaying correctly now, what was the fix?

The fix was, that I deleted the image file and replaced it with a url link instead. :D My pedanticness made me do it.. honest. 8-[

..and no, the image displays exactly the same.. no matter how many times I upload it, so Mowk may be right.. in this instance.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Carleas » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks Mowk, I expect that's right. The board software we're running is pretty primitive.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Return to Meta