Feckin Bots

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Feckin Bots

Postby Carleas » Fri May 08, 2020 10:04 pm

Sorry for any connectivity issues the past couple days, it appears a new search engine found our little corner of the web and decided to request 6 pages a second forever.

But like any good jalopy pilot, I executed a remarkable feet feat of duct tape and we should be smooth sailing now. Or at least status-quo sailing.

Carry on.
:banana-dance:

[EDIT: duct taped a word]
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Re: Feckin Bots

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri May 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Glad here this is sorted out.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Oughtist » Sun May 10, 2020 5:16 am

What is the ontological status of bots?
Things are apparent.
Oughtist
Para-philosopher

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Sun May 10, 2020 2:37 pm

But like any good jalopy pilot, I executed a remarkable feet of duct tape and we should be smooth sailing now. Or at least status-quo sailing.

Carry on.

You're a hero.
Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?

A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.

Jay Marcus Brewer
Austin, Texas
Email: [email protected]
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker

Postby MagsJ » Mon May 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Ah.. is that what was slowing the site down, constantly logging me out of ILP, and throwing me off of the site at a moment’s notice?

What kind of Bot was that @ Carleas?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 12, 2020 6:51 am

Mike Pence is a bot.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Carleas » Tue May 12, 2020 6:01 pm

MagsJ wrote:What kind of Bot was that @ Carleas?

I believe the bot belongs to Huawei, who I understand to be building a new search engine to compete with/replace Google in China, where Google is banned. As part of that, I assume they are trying to get everything about every website at speed, and turned that deluge onto ILP last week. Sadly, ILP will probably not be indexed in that search engine as a result.

The number of requests they were making doesn't seem reasonable: I set up the firewall rule on Friday and on Saturday it blocked 130k requests from the same bot, which is more than one per second, all day every day (they've mostly stopped now that they just get a 503 error). The fact that the bot was named in the user agent string and easily identifiable by a firewall rule suggests they weren't trying to do anything too nefarious, though it did seem to be ignoring the robots.txt file (which tells good bots where they can and can't go; intended for reducing load and not adding junk to search indices rather than security). It also changed IPs for every request, so the normal IP-based rules to weren't catching it, and even Cloudflare must have considered it benign because they didn't register anything amiss.

But yeah, it fucked us up something bad for a while. Sorry if it caused you lost posts or other frustrations, it definitely caused me some frustration -- enough that I actually did something about it.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby MagsJ » Wed May 13, 2020 4:58 pm

I didn’t know that Tik Tok was Chinese, until I saw this video on Gram last week.. now it all makes sense. It has been said that Google, et others, did the same without the User’s permission, but yet that’s ok?

https://www.cnet.com/news/tiktok-accuse ... -to-china/ An interesting read..

TikTok, known for its quirky 15-second videos, has been illegally and secretly harvesting vast amounts of personally identifiable user data and sending it to China, according to a proposed class-action lawsuit filed in California federal court last week.

The lawsuit also accuses the company and its Chinese parent company ByteDance of taking user content such as draft videos without their consent and having "ambiguous" privacy policies. It raises concerns that data gathered by TikTok could be used to identify, profile and track users in the US. The company is benefiting from this alleged activity because it uses this data to sell targeted ads, the lawsuit alleges.

"TikTok's lighthearted fun comes at a heavy cost," according to the lawsuit, which was filed on Friday.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Please permaban me, thank you.

MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am

MagsJ wrote:Please permaban me, thank you.

Hmm, is this for real? And, if so, is it about anything in particular? Or, instead, as will come upon most of us here from time time, has the whole feckin experience become just unbearable?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:45 am

iambiguous wrote:

Hmm, is this for real? And, if so, is it about anything in particular? Or, instead, as will come upon most of us here from time time, has the whole feckin experience become just unbearable?

Too many sock-puppets, ergo lies/liars = lack of integrity.. I can’t stomach that anymore.
Worse than any posting bot.

MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

Too many sock-puppets, ergo lies/liars = lack of integrity.. I can’t stomach that anymore.

Admittedly, this is one of the advantages I have here in being "fractured and fragmented". I am only able to take the points made by others here in regard to the points that I make so seriously. And, in part, because I am only able to take the points that I make myself so seriously.

I think mostly about what I do "here and now" in regard to the one thing that interest me above all else "philosophically": how ought one to live given the extent to which how one does choose to live is able to be intertwined with the fate of "I" on the other side.

On the other hand, I'm still able to recognize how both moral objectivists and moral nihilists out in the "real world" can and do bring into existence very, very real pain and suffering endured by millions around the globe.

All I can do then is to suggest that "moderation, negotiation and compromise" may well be the "best of all possible worlds" in regard to confronting conflicting goods out in a world embedded in the brute facticity of political economy.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:08 am

:lol:

You suggest that I do what? lol

MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:49 am

MagsJ wrote: :lol:

You suggest that I do what? lol

Not to worry. Lots of people here are in denial.

And not all of them have a "condition". :wink:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:40 am

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

K: If you are really leaving, then leave with guns blazing.. Name names...
tell it like it is.... and don't hold back.... leave it all out there......

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 am

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
K: If you are really leaving, then leave with guns blazing.. Name names...

Kropotkin
I believe she changed her mind, but I second this suggestion, whether staying or leaving.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:50 am

iambiguous wrote:Not to worry. Lots of people here are in denial.

I’m not in denial.. you’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ. :-k I think I’ll put that in my Sig.. I like it. :)

Condition or not.. posting in bad faith and spite, by always using conjecture, is simply a (dull and boring) fallacious argument, that Someone likes to use, to try to gain ground and traction by that method. Others here.. not so much.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Peter Kropotkin wrote:K: If you are really leaving, then leave with guns blazing.. Name names...

Kropotkin
I believe she changed her mind, but I second this suggestion, whether staying or leaving.

Lol, that’s funny Peter, but it’s not my style.

I did indeed KP.. and you’re nawty, in agreeing for me to divulge all, but while still here.
That time when.. :-k oh no, I can’t possibly divulge..

:lol:

I simply had a ](*,) moment, from one or two threads, is all.. bots, seeming more preferable to engage with, at that point.. hence my post, in this thread.

MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Not to worry. Lots of people here are in denial.

I’m not in denial.. you’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ. :-k I think I’ll put that in my Sig.. I like it. :)

Condition or not.. posting in bad faith and spite, by always using conjecture, is simply a (dull and boring) fallacious argument, that Someone likes to use, to try to gain ground and traction by that method. Others here.. not so much.

To paraphrase myself, "You'll need a context, of course."

That way you can note more specifically when, as the exchange unfolds, posters are acting in bad faith...or using fallacious arguments. And the posters can then defend themselves in turn.

And, over and again, all posters will refer back to that particular set of circumstances in order to illustrate and to bolster any accusations that they make.

I'll start the thread if you'd like. In the philosophy forum of course.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:04 pm

iambiguous wrote:To paraphrase myself, "You'll need a context, of course."

That way you can note more specifically when, as the exchange unfolds, posters are acting in bad faith...or using fallacious arguments. And the posters can then defend themselves in turn.

I take issue, more with sock-puppets, than with anything else.. that’s posting in bad faith, to me.

And, over and again, all posters will refer back to that particular set of circumstances in order to illustrate and to bolster any accusations that they make.

..only as long as you don’t use the phrase “..interactions that revolve around conflicting goods in which we connect the dots between morality here and now and immortality there and then”, or any variation or derivative there-of.. otherwise, sure.

MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:50 pm

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:To paraphrase myself, "You'll need a context, of course."

I take issue, more with sock-puppets, than with anything else.. that’s posting in bad faith, to me.

Okay, let's note a set of circumstances in which you expand on this. For me, I couldn't care less about who is posting, sock-puppet or not. I'm only interested in the extent to which, in regard to moral and political values, anyone posting in whatever configuration brings their philosophical knowledge to bear on the components of human interactions that seem most important to me: identity, conflicting goods, political economy.

Let the sock-puppet assume an identity here "for purposes of deception." He or she either addresses the points I raise or they don't. It's not deceptive personalities I care about but figuring out a way to yank myself up out of the hole that my own "fractured and fragmented" self has dug for me. If deception helps, that's fine with me.

MagsJ wrote: ..only as long as you don’t use the phrase “..interactions that revolve around conflicting goods in which we connect the dots between morality here and now and immortality there and then”, or any variation or derivative there-of.. otherwise, sure.

Nope, no can do. My entire moral and political philosophy revolves around attempts to explain to others what "I" mean by that...given our interaction with others on this side of the grave as that is relevant to what we believe our fate to be on the other side of it.

So, if you are still interested, I will start a new thread in the philosophy forum in which we discuss bad faith given the issues that most concern you and most concern me. Or, sure, start it yourself.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:39 am

iambiguous wrote:So, if you are still interested..

I am not.

MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:06 am

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:So, if you are still interested..

I am not.

That's all folks! 8)

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Jakeyjake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:30 am

Are the active users at the bottom of the page who have bot in parentheses actual bots?

Also, I think have a couple of posts waiting approval. :)
Jakeyjake

Postby MagsJ » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:44 pm

Jakeyjake wrote:Are the active users at the bottom of the page who have bot in parentheses actual bots?

Yes.. they grace us with their presence.

MagsJ

Return to Meta