Good News of the Kingdom

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Good News of the Kingdom

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Perhaps he was referring to the fact that we’re going to blow ourselves up and he’s going to make a new heavens and a new earth?
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:55 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Perhaps he was referring to the fact that we’re going to blow ourselves up and he’s going to make a new heavens and a new earth?

burn this mutha down!!!! jk sigh… i’ll be patient ;)

In the mean time… cultivate… store it up where we can’t blow it up ;)

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:09 pm

Things old: innate. Things new: prior (learned)… and new ones.

https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.p ... 5#p2863685

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:50 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:I think we both know that we both know that just as God cannot both exist and not exist, he cannot both have certain properties and not have certain properties. That is why when there are God concepts with conflicting properties, they (God concepts) cannot all be true (correspondent, referent, descriptive…).

Who knows? It might boggle the mind but you may very well be limiting God with the above statements.

Will the "Real" God please stand up! Probably not since the Real God may be having so much fun with our takes on Him.
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:39 pm

He stood up on the cross, foo, died & stood up again 3ish days later. Go to church tomorrow. Any church. Any Sunday of the year…and some weekdays. See it in changed lives—changed in knowing we are loved despite our crap, good or bad. Become the change that is yet to be (and yet is and has always been).

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:A thought is an action. So there are parts of the brain that deal with motor stuff and we use those parts when we think. Thinking is a kind of feeling. This is not a new realization to me in case you wondered.

If you search “motor” & my username, Oughtist referred to motor stuff in convo w me in 2008.

Credit where it’s due, just in case.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:58 pm

Ichthus77

A thought is an action.

I do not quite look at it that way. Thinking is more like a field of containment until one moves away from that and acts on the thinking. Thinking at some point gives rise to movement which then becomes action.

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:09 pm

What are you thinking right now? Can you trace the progress of your thoughts back to what sparked the stream?

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:49 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:What are you thinking right now? Can you trace the progress of your thoughts back to what sparked the stream?

Sure, I was thinking of the song that I just emailed to someone. A beautiful song. You yourself would probably love it and take comfort in it.

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:12 pm

You have illustrated how extended action can also produce/further/continue thought (mental action) which can produce more extended action. Muy importante.

Why we don’t look back unless we’re going that way.

Look/walk. Acts.

The look/walk. Objects.

Pivoting on the catwalk still going in a line: Priceless.

Sorry. I need coffee.
P.s. getting into Brentano/Dr. Z territory now.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:55 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:
Gloominary wrote:Yea, an architect/builder/creator, or a speaker, the external heavens and earth obey his commandments.

They/we are internal to him. See Romans 11:36. The immanent is his permissive will that includes our choices (we are co-creators under him) subsumed under his perfect (transcendent) will.

just in case felix dakat missed it^

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:19 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:
Gloominary wrote:Yea, an architect/builder/creator, or a speaker, the external heavens and earth obey his commandments.

They/we are internal to him. See Romans 11:36. The immanent is his permissive will that includes our choices (we are co-creators under him) subsumed under his perfect (transcendent) will.

just in case felix dakat missed it^

I'll take the bait.

For from him and through him and for him are all things.
To him be the glory forever! Amen.

You won't find "permissive will" in the Bible. Nor the term "co-creator". I say this but of course there are new translations every day. You may find a "translation" that has those terms. And if you don't you could publish you own translation.

The idea that an individual [in this case God] has different and apparently conflicting wills is strange. Bernardo Kastrup has the trope of God with multiple personality disorder. It may be a sign of our times that we can't conceive of reality without pathologizing it.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:22 pm

For from him and through him and for him are all things.
To him be the glory forever! Amen.

This verse is perfectly compatible with nonduality.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:39 pm

It’s all biblical. Wanna see? All the translations are saying basically the same thing. Where there is difference, throw out all not included in earliest manuscripts, then pick the one that best fits all the data unless new data emerges (unlikely). Still too hard to pick? ——Does it mess up an essential doctrine? If no… so what? If you throw out the Bible, and subject other documents to the same standard—what’s left of history?

Anyway. Reality is irreducibly complex (3-in-1). That’s why harmonic triads are syntheses of theses/antitheses…some of the sort that lose nothing. So good luck with that nonduality thing you want so bad. The truth is on either/both side(s) of it. Poor sad kitty.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:44 pm

PS try having the delusion that you created/knew this whole thing while you read a Bible authored over thousands of years by multiple people that are not you. It won’t work.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:59 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:PS try having the delusion that you created/knew this whole thing while you read a Bible authored over thousands of years by multiple people that are not you. It won’t work.

You’re opposing something/someone who is not there. Like shadow boxing. The three in one symbolizes the ultimate unity of the one and the many. That is the message of nonduality in a nutshell. Thanks for reminding me!
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:04 pm

If that’s what you mean (unity... not simplicity…) … why don’t folks say that?? Brentano gets it.

P.s. I am not speaking into the ether, mew mew.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:50 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:It’s all biblical. Wanna see? All the translations are saying basically the same thing. Where there is difference, throw out all not included in earliest manuscripts, then pick the one that best fits all the data unless new data emerges (unlikely). Still too hard to pick? ——Does it mess up an essential doctrine? If no… so what? If you throw out the Bible, and subject other documents to the same standard—what’s left of history?

Anyway. Reality is irreducibly complex (3-in-1). That’s why harmonic triads are syntheses of theses/antitheses…some of the sort that lose nothing. So good luck with that nonduality thing you want so bad. The truth is on either/both side(s) of it. Poor sad kitty.

There is a basic truth about the Bible, and that is that the Greek translation (Septuagint) marked a change in basic understanding, which still has its value, but left the Hebrew/Aramaic mindset behind, and some important aspects. Even the Greek is open to some discussion, because we are not so versed in the Greek of the time, though we can translate it. This is a discussion that continues in classical studies, let alone with biblical studies, so it isn’t surprising.

The fascinating thing about the ancient languages, and a mystery to philologists, is that they were so complex, and as we moved on, subsequent languages became so basic, causing the comparison of Hebrew to an ocean, Greek to a river, and Latin to a puddle. There is also the inherent progress of awareness, which you can even see in the stories of Abram/Abraham, Isaac, and Jakob/Israel, who in succession realise that God is bigger, going from a local deity to a God that provides space, and then on towards an understanding, that “God is also in this place” when Jakob was far from home. It is even clearer in the stories of the Prophets, where they turn on the ritual practises in the name of God, or in Deuteronomy, in which laws given in Exodus and Leviticus are revised.

This process of rising awareness culminates in Jesus, a remnant of Judah, who echoes the prophets and Deuteronomy to a nation in unrest, suffering under the occupation by the Romans, similar to how they were occupied by Alexander before, only with a much sterner rule. But Jesus is a new development, another paradigm in the thinking of Israel, and is met with equal force, aided by Rome’s governor, and despite all attempts to eradicate his influence, the spark had ignited amongst the people, and Paul carried the flame into the Roman Empire. Considering his words in the language that he likely spoke to the people that followed him around, Aramaic, there is that depth of meaning that was in the original Hebrew, and the perspective cosmic unity is even clearer than in John’s Gospel. “… you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.” John 14:20.

It is the intertwining of creation that is “good”, the interdependence and complexity, the diversity and availability of curative sources, and the God of which Paul said, “in Him we live and move and exist,” (Acts 17:28), that shows that God is conceived as much more than the God of Israel, and his concern is much wider than a disloyal people, who have not recognised when the One calls them. This is called up when we realise that the Gospel compositions were intended to awaken an awareness comparable to Jesus, to enable us to realise that what we should divest ourselves of, is our illusionary sense of self, and take up the cross. As Felix says, “Taking up the cross is the way of self-abnegation,” or divesting oneself of illusion and aligning with the cosmic consciousness that is God.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat May 07, 2022 6:45 pm

The age to come will either have zero sexual frustration, or 100% self-control (in alignment with God’s will) I’m assuming. My patience is def waning…
Attachments
9349C62C-58FF-4A7A-A9A1-236B3047CD3B.jpeg
9349C62C-58FF-4A7A-A9A1-236B3047CD3B.jpeg (127.16 KiB) Viewed 242 times

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Mon May 09, 2022 6:44 am

Ichthus77 wrote:The age to come will either have zero sexual frustration, or 100% self-control (in alignment with God’s will) I’m assuming. My patience is def waning…

Interesting that you define self-abnegation in this way. I understand it as saying that the illusion of self, as separate and individual, tends to block out the fact of unity with God. The awareness of this unity became a new paradigm with Jesus, for which he was threatened and then killed. It is a covenant of awareness if you like, in which you will realize that “I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.”

Paul was struggling with this “change of mind” that he understood had come with Jesus. He proposed “kenosis”, the "emptying" of the individual for the reception of this realization through divine grace. It is what Owen Barfield called final participation and Mark Vernon termed as reciprocal participation, but to this day it is not an easy teaching, which is probably why people took on physical forms of self-mortification.

In the text you quote, Paul was struggling with the apocalyptic visions that were around at the time – whether the world would end quickly. He asks whether it is prudent to make arrangements for the future if the end is coming. He also saw an advantage in his ministry by being asexual, but he also says that we are all different and some can forego sexual relations, some cannot. I wouldn’t want today to see the words as encouraging celibacy unless it comes natural to people.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:35 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:it’s kind of an interesting distinction

if religion is true… it’s not different from science, metaphysics, philosophy (as long as they’re also true)

and if they’re true… they’ll recognize this whole thing is a miracle… not distinct from (true) religion

damn the brainwashing … so bleached … disgusting

gentle reminder “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction” for materiality is like the law of non-contradiction for ideas/concepts.

Have a beautiful day!

gentle reminder for Ierrellus

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:52 pm

Good News of the Kingdom #mercy Send a copy to Speechify to listen.

2hrs. read:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vt4 ... obilebasic
Attachments
87EE0AEA-BC44-4C52-B133-A8EF7C72682D.jpeg
87EE0AEA-BC44-4C52-B133-A8EF7C72682D.jpeg (94.7 KiB) Viewed 219 times

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:04 pm

In brief:

Blessed are you who deal with junk now, because the salting fire will have less to burn off. Woe to you who eventually gon’ deal with it, ready or not. Do not despise the Lord’s discipline of the world he loves so much he became one of us (who are in his image), switched perspectives with us, died and rose again to show us who he is to us, who we are (IS) & OUGHT to be to him, and to others (forgiving that we can’t love perfectly, all the time, like he loves).

Please. Stop missing the point. Stop wallowing in the necessary conditions and rise out of them like you were born to do. That’s what needs reminding, every time we’re back in the mud.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Sat May 28, 2022 10:46 am

Whatever you choose to call yourself, Christian or not, I hope you will aspire to be a humble human being ... religiously. Religiously, as I’m using the term, means with a sense of the sacredness of everything and a commitment to reconsecrate everything.
—Brian McLaren
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:37 pm

I call myself loved. Aspiring, no… more like… just being willing to be a co-creative part of what he’s doing. Has anyone’s sense of humor triggered your sense of awe? Js.

Never lose focus on this Person. Like turning your back on the sunset behind the rising tide, waiting for the dawn. Missin it. Gonna get swept under with the other sandcastles.

Then again. It’s darkest…

…and coldest.

Just open your eyes & tune your ears.

Like a bat-at-at.

That can’t sleep.

Cuz o the damn drip drip drip.

;) Don’t read too far in.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality