Good News of the Kingdom

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Good News of the Kingdom

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:53 pm

_
Kingdom of lies..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:56 pm

It’ll be ok.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:59 pm

_
oh! Why?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:01 pm

_
On who’s say-so or dictat?

You be talking to adults now, m’kay?

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:14 pm

I’ll just copy-paste. Give me a minute. If I’m not back in five minutes… just wait longer.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:21 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:I’ll just copy-paste. Give me a minute. If I’m not back in five minutes… just wait longer.

Lol!!

No copy/paste crew here, so understood. No rush..

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:40 pm

Wow. So what does copy-paste mean around here? lol Takes a whole crew, does it?

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:42 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Wow. So what does copy-paste mean around here? lol Takes a whole crew, does it?

I have no idea, but I can spot a copy/paste reply, when I see one.

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:45 pm

I always tell on myself. Usually ahead of time. Sometimes after. Weirdest thing.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:48 pm

Look, either those who believe in one of dozens and dozens of Gods out there are willing to concede that a demonstration of their own God's existence would go a long way toward saving souls, or, with so much at stake on both sides of the grave, they at least have the intellectual honesty and integrity to own up to the fact that their own "private and personal" God has done a piss-poor job in bringing mere mortals over to the one true path.

phyllo wrote:"Those who believe" already think that they have experienced a valid demonstration of their God's existence. That's why they believe.

Yes, and since I have not myself [of late] had any "private and personal" experiences with God, I am not now able to believe. But no way would I argue that their personal experiences with God don't count unless they can "prove them".

If you are convinced the experiences were real and this allows you to believe in God...and in immortality and salvation...good for you. All the arguments from all the atheists in the world can't take that away from you. They're not called "personal experiences" for nothing.

On the other hand, this is a philosophy venue. And thus to the best of our ability an effort should be made to provide as much detail and evidence as possible to back up our beliefs. If only because if your experience was the real deal and you were connected to a God, the God, it's all the more likely that you can save the souls of those who are on the wrong path with the wrong God.

Right?

Then it comes down to what you believe about Judgment Day. After all, for any number of religious denominations, this is the "real deal".

phyllo wrote:If the only demonstration that will convince you is a personal show from God, then it's not surprising that you're not convinced.

More to the point [mine] why on Earth is, for example, Ichthus's Christian God unable -- unwilling? -- to provide mere mortals with the sort of evidence that will so much more clearly bring them to immortality and salvation?

Even those like Ierrellus recognize what is at stake here. That's why his own "private and personal" Christian God doesn't include Judgment Day or Hell. Without them in the Script anyone can be on the right path.

But, of course, his own conclusions seem predicated solely on his own experiences with this particular God.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:57 pm

On the other hand, this is a philosophy venue. And thus to the best of our ability an effort should be made to provide as much detail and evidence as possible to back up our beliefs.
On a "philosophy venue", if we ask what sort of evidence you, specifically you, are looking for ... you can't tell us.

Instead you talk about what you want God to do.

What sort of demonstration or evidence can people on this forum, within the limitations of this forum, provide which would be sufficient for you?
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:01 pm

A private miracle (if it only happened in the mind) can’t be proved except by fruit (changed life), unless the miracle is prophecy or tongues, or something like that. Not worth mentioning to others unless they already believe, had a similar experience, and want to talk to people who have had a similar experience. I’m open to that. Not here.

Also - what phyllo said.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:05 pm

In apologetics circles that is called knowing versus showing. The showing must be something verifiable rather than subjective.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:38 pm

John 16:33 “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

I am not sure how that didn’t make it in there. Inserted it after the part that says, “I leave peace behind with you; I give you my own peace and my gift is nothing like the peace of this world,” (John 14:27).

If those verses aren’t enough for ya, I’ll be Bach.
https://youtu.be/bQAcBSO5jC8

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:21 am

Ichthus77 wrote:John 16:33 “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

I am not sure how that didn’t make it in there. Inserted it after the part that says, “I leave peace behind with you; I give you my own peace and my gift is nothing like the peace of this world,” (John 14:27).

If those verses aren’t enough for ya, I’ll be Bach.
https://youtu.be/bQAcBSO5jC8

If he’d overcome the world...

The world wouldn’t hurt us like it does.

It’s a direct contradiction.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:33 am

Do you prefer shallow love or deep love? You can have either without evil, but neither without sacrifice. Pain without evil is an opportunity to grow. The higher you grow, the more even evil is something you grow past.

But we will never outgrow the Geautiful.

I said it how I said it.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:22 am

Corrected a typo. Question mark was inside quote when should have been outside. Also… I upgraded it ;)

Now, all that was left was yourselves, and your house, but you dared to turn my Father's house into a market! Doesn't the scripture say, "My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations”‽ But you had turned it into a "den of thieves”! You destroyed this temple and I rebuilt it in three days! Earth and heaven will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

This selection puts different verses together. Read the gospels enough & you’ll know where to find them in original context & be able to debate if I’ve misspoken.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:23 am

oooooo the tables gonna tuuuurn buddy

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:17 am

MagsJ wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:Wow. So what does copy-paste mean around here? lol Takes a whole crew, does it?

I have no idea, but I can spot a copy/paste reply, when I see one.

Ah, copying/pasting your own words.. that’s different.. not copying/pasting crew, standard issue actions.

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:39 am

Standard issue … isn’t that a military term? I haven’t intended to be … militant.

Heaven is hell/war for those who prefer conflicting preconceptions. Ironic that it’s the ones who claim to be the most neutral who are… the least neutral. But unsurprising. But … love.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:47 pm

_
The words I choose, to use, are reflective of my Want to use them.. nothing more.. no intent, meant.. i.e. it’s not about you, it’s about me. ; )

There’s no room for emotion, in philosophy.. it has no place there, so no projecting of words onto Other/s going on..

MagsJ

Postby felix dakat » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:46 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
The words I choose, to use, are reflective of my Want to use them.. nothing more.. no intent, meant.. i.e. it’s not about you, it’s about me. ; )

There’s no room for emotion, in philosophy.. it has no place there, so no projecting of words onto Other/s going on..

Feelings unconsciously steer thought. Existential philosophy took mood into its anaylsis beginning with Kierkegaard and elaborated by Heidegger in Being and Time. Not to mention Freud and Jung and the philosophical reflection they inspired. Now cognitive and neuro science is catching up.

https://youtu.be/qv5KPN-_WSw
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby MagsJ » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:10 pm

felix dakat wrote:Feelings unconsciously steer thought. Existential philosophy took mood into its anaylsis beginning with Kierkegaard and elaborated by Heidegger in Being and Time. Not to mention Freud and Jung and the philosophical reflection they inspired. Now cognitive and neuro science is catching up.

https://youtu.be/qv5KPN-_WSw

The meditative mind differentiates much.. akin to not mixing business/thought with pleasure/feeling.

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:14 pm

Nobody does philosophy (or anything else) without caring. What is needed is caring balanced by reason and understanding (each member of the three checking and balancing each other member).

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:18 pm

If any of my finding-things-humorous came off as being insensitive towards another’s deeply held worldview, I apologize. It helps me have fun with discovery & exploration (while anchored beyond the veil) if I don’t take myself too seriously (not forgetting the stakes). It’s a delicate balance, and I can be as clumsy as the next guy/gal.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality