Is anyone here a recovering atheist?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is anyone here a recovering atheist?

Postby felix dakat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:03 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:It's what they call philosophy.

Horseshit. What? Maia doesn't have the right to frame her existential situation any way she chooses? That's called a personal philosophy of life.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Next up in the Yank land...not being able to see is not a serious disability and is actually the same as being able to see perfectly...yet when it comes to killing unborn humans...and when it comes to aborting down syndrome babies, a beautiful thing...my body, my choice...keep tuned in to the greatest pseudo-moral bullshit there is...and a bunch of degraded cowards and bullshitting bootlickers who also think anybody else, anywhere else but their decadent Anglo-sphere, thinks similarly and that their embarrassing decadence and insanity is some kind of universal law. you are cowardly and spineless and call your utilitarian materialism a virtue and the best thing is that nobody believes you...no Yank negros, no Mexican immigrants, no Europeans, nobody is fooled by your cunt antics and jag-off smart-assery anymore...the world saw through it...you have a 50 percent divorce rate and call yourself a first world nation???hahahahh...you want to grow old without having plenty of children and yet you expect somebody to come and fund your luxuries...if you have less than 2-3 children then you are free-riding and there is no other way to put it...and you have immigrants come and then you want to ride on their young backs whilst also hanging all the shit on them???we will see how that will end up for you...we will see.
aniceguy
Thinker

Postby felix dakat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:35 pm

aniceguy wrote:Next up in the Yank land...not being able to see is not a serious disability and is actually the same as being able to see perfectly...yet when it comes to killing unborn humans...and when it comes to aborting down syndrome babies, a beautiful thing...my body, my choice...keep tuned in to the greatest pseudo-moral bullshit there is...and a bunch of degraded cowards and bullshitting bootlickers who also think anybody else, anywhere else but their decadent Anglo-sphere, thinks similarly and that their embarrassing decadence and insanity is some kind of universal law. you are cowardly and spineless and call your utilitarian materialism a virtue and the best thing is that nobody believes you...no Yank negros, no Mexican immigrants, no Europeans, nobody is fooled by your cunt antics and jag-off smart-assery anymore...the world saw through it...you have a 50 percent divorce rate and call yourself a first world nation???hahahahh...you want to grow old without having plenty of children and yet you expect somebody to come and fund your luxuries...if you have less than 2-3 children then you are free-riding and there is no other way to put it...and you have immigrants come and then you want to ride on their young backs whilst also hanging all the shit on them???we will see how that will end up for you...we will see.

That's serious diatribe-- a ventilation of spleen, about a stereotypical object.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm

this forum and the SHITthyself is just a bunch of burnt out kooks and weirdo outcasts and I am fed up and through with dealing with you kooks. you are like copies of eachother, bizzare, word salad talking shit, followed by snarky and smartass remarks and declarations of victory...all old and burnt out...what is wrong with this fucking place???
aniceguy
Thinker

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm

aniceguy wrote:Blindness is a very serious disability with serious consequences for the disabled person so stop lying to yourself and telling yourself you are are not disabled. Its not that you dont have the right to think of yourself highly or have and demand respect for your own person or try and do live like an independent adult and be valuable but that you are missing something which will always have dire consequences which you can either lie to yourself about and believe do not make you different in a negative way or accept that reality and simply admit it is so, which simply means letting go of naivety on which you cant build anything but be prayed upon through. If you did not have somebody trusted to tell you how somebody looks, how would you be able to find a date or something basic like that???, you could not even tell if they have crooked teeth and are ugly or not and you could not tell how beautiful(or not) you are yourself...looks are very important for a female and you dont even have a way to tell how beautiful you are(or not)...how your dresses fit...colours and so on...so you are reliant on others for many basic things, hence you are disabled...sad but true. Does not mean if you had children and raised them properly, I(and many others!) would hold you as more valuable and respect worthy than the many divorced and irresponsible whores with young children and spinster cat-lady hedonistic plastic dolls and all the crap that floats nowadays...I definitely would, but you are still disabled...and such is this life...you might be beautiful and blind, another woman might have sight but be short and ugly...maybe one mother could have sight and make a shitter mother than you as a blind woman???what you think of that???do you think Id marry a blind woman who was a good woman or a whore with sight???but would I marry a blind girl if I could marry one which could see???

The phrase you used was "terrible disability" which I do not consider myself as having. Being blind is, at worst, a minor inconvenience at times, but most of the time it's not even something that I think about much, if at all. I accept that things are different for those who lose their sight, but I've never had any to start with, so for me, everything is perfectly normal.

As for any potential romantic partner, looks are something I just don't care about or think about. Other things are attractive, such as smell, body shape and so on. As for my own looks, and how I dress, etc., I've never had any complaints.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:04 pm

"As for any potential romantic partner, looks are something I just don't care about or think about."

No don't do that. Don't date any ugly ones because they have all kinds of personality problems and complexes. What you need to do is have one of your girlfriends check the dude out first and let you know if he's hot. And it's gotta be one of your cutest friends because ugly girls lack good judgement.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:05 pm

promethean75 wrote:"As for any potential romantic partner, looks are something I just don't care about or think about."

No don't do that. Don't date any ugly ones because they got all kinds of personality problems and complexes. What you need to do is have one of your girlfriends check the dude out first and let you know if he's hot. And it's gotta be one of your cutest friends because ugly girls lack good judgement.

They do anyway, whether I ask them to or not.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

promethean75 wrote:"As for any potential romantic partner, looks are something I just don't care about or think about."

No don't do that. Don't date any ugly ones because they have all kinds of personality problems and complexes. What you need to do is have one of your girlfriends check the dude out first and let you know if he's hot. And it's gotta be one of your cutest friends because ugly girls lack good judgement.

*chuckles*

That’s one of the funniest posts I’ve ever seen on ILP.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

That is the entirely wrong mentality.

If you marry an ugly guy, you own him for life.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby pood » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm

aniceguy wrote:this forum and the SHITthyself is just a bunch of burnt out kooks and weirdo outcasts and I am fed up and through with dealing with you kooks. you are like copies of eachother, bizzare, word salad talking shit, followed by snarky and smartass remarks and declarations of victory...all old and burnt out...what is wrong with this fucking place???

Were you addressing yourself in the mirror when you wrote this? :-k
pood
Thinker

Postby promethean75 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:13 pm

"you marry an ugly guy, you own him for life."

You'd do some shit like that, wouldn't ya?

Well Maia doesn't want to 'own' her man and she certainly doesn't want him hanging around only because he's too ugly to find someone else and has to hook up with a blind girl because of that.
Last edited by promethean75 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:14 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:That is the entirely wrong mentality.

If you marry an ugly guy, you own him for life.

Yeah... I met this old man one time who said he only fucked ugly chicks because they actually appreciated it.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 pm

promethean75 wrote:"you marry an ugly guy, you own him for life."

You'd do some shit like that, wouldn't ya?

Well Maia doesn't want to 'own' her man and she certainly doesn't want him hanging around only because he's too ugly to find someone else and has to hook up with a blind girl because he's so ugly.

Nah, nah, it wouldn't be like that. Inability to find someone else wouldn't establish ownership, eventually he would get whores or whatever or who knows. It's the gratitude.

I couldn't do some shit like that because unfortunately it doesn't work that way for girls. See an ugly guy knows he's ugly. But an ugly girl can never accept this to herself, and your life would revolve around convincing her she's pretty. Hellhole. She would probably eventually run off in an attempt to convince herself she is pretty with some slimebag.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:18 pm

There is only one way to hook a girl forever, and that is to be financially solvent and care about her feelings.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Besides, there are no ugly girls.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Erotic attraction is not the same as saying a woman is beautiful or not and romantic attraction is neither of the two. Unless you are a rapist piece of shit or an autistic kook who doesnt get when females show interest in him and when they dont, you only get triggered erotically and romantically when a given woman shows interest in you sexually and romantically but that woman does not have to be objectively very pretty or sexy yet you will find her sexually desirable and romantically interesting anyway, if she does show that interest and is not way below your league or there is something odd and off-putting with her.
aniceguy
Thinker

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Aww.... umm...

Who gives a shit?

Humans shouldn’t even have sex.

The irony is... it’s the celibates who know the most about this stuff.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:20 pm

FreeSpirit1983 wrote:

I've answered most of these questions before. Do you read my responses? It seems as if you won't or can't.

Again, note a few of the answers you have given me in regard to the points I raised on my post above. Substantive answers. And not merely telling me to ask Jesus or linking me to some Catholic website.

As for...

FreeSpirit1983 wrote: First, Christian denominations all believe Jesus is the way to Heaven. John 3:16.

Now, you will argue about some fringe Christian group that doesn’t. OK, but that's not the main stream Christian view.

Why choose Catholicism? Because Jesus founded the Catholic Church. He made Peter the first Pope.

That you actually are able to think yourself into believing that this is an adequate response to the points I raise here...

Why would a Jewish God save a devout Christian who argues that the Jewish religion itself is not the true path to Salvation?

Would the devout Catholic or Protestant be required to reject the belief that only in accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior can you be saved?

Or, if God is a Catholic, would a Jew be required to accept Jesus Christ as his or her personal savior?

...speaks volumes regarding the gap between your rendition of a discussion in a philosophy venue and mine.

Besides, all religious denominations have their own Scriptures bent on providing reasons why we should choose their own One True Path instead.

What, in my view, you can't/won't/don't allow yourself to believe is that given a certain set of experiences in your life you took an existential leap to Catholicism. Had those experiences been very different it might have been a leap from Nietzsche to Protestantism or Judaism or even Buddhism. No, you've got to convince yourself that there is this Real Me with a Soul and it was the will of God that brought you to the Vatican. Again, in my view, as a fulminating fanatic objectivist, it's not what you believe but that you believe it. Something, anything into which you can anchor I. The font to attain and then to sustain the comfort and consolation of being anchored to it in the first place.

Think about it: hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of moral and political and spiritual fonts out there in which to anchor I to choose from. And each one of those who do so able to convince themselves that of all the options available, the one I chose is the only True Path.

FreeSpirit1983 wrote: Why does evil happen? Sometimes it's for our own good. Sometimes it's a mystery and we can only speculate.

SOP. The standard explanation even in the face of extinction events. Even in the face of all that ghastly human suffering on a covid-19 scale. God's mysterious ways.

FreeSpirit1983 wrote: I don't believe God micromanage all our actions. We're not robots.

Back again to the gap between you believing this and you demonstrating that it is in fact true. Or your own rendition of how to reconcile an omniscient God and human autonomy.

FreeSpirit1983 wrote: Now, you said you have a God you believe in, which God is it? How do you worship?

Where did I say that? What I believe is that given "the gap" and "Rummy's Rule", what are the odds that an infinitesimally tiny speck of existence that is "I" in the staggering vastness of "all there is" can possibly know anything definitive about the existence of a God, the God?!

I merely suggest the same for you.

And that in order to anchor your own Self to the comfort and the consolation of embodying the Real Me in sync with the Right Thing To Do you happened existentially to choose Catholicism. This gives you an objective morality on this side of the grave, and immortality and salvation on the other side of it. Case closed.

Religion in a nutshell. The psychology of objectivism.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:25 pm

aniceguy wrote:Erotic attraction is not the same as saying a woman is beautiful or not and romantic attraction is neither of the two. Unless you are a rapist piece of shit or an autistic kook who doesnt get when females show interest in him and when they dont, you only get triggered erotically and romantically when a given woman shows interest in you sexually and romantically but that woman does not have to be objectively very pretty or sexy yet you will find her sexually desirable and romantically interesting anyway, if she does show that interest and is not way below your league or there is something odd and off-putting with her.

An interesting observation. Seems like there's some truth in it. But how do you measure things like "objectively very pretty or sexy" or "odd or off-putting". Perception of those qualities are subjective and so vary from individual to individual. The generality might go like this "all things being equal when woman is attracted to you sexually it's a turn on." And does that apply to all or most heterosexual men?

It appears to be different for women because in most cases they're the selectors. It's the qualities that she's looking for that determine the selection, not the fact that the guy is turned on. Yes ? No?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:28 pm

felix dakat wrote:
aniceguy wrote:Erotic attraction is not the same as saying a woman is beautiful or not and romantic attraction is neither of the two. Unless you are a rapist piece of shit or an autistic kook who doesnt get when females show interest in him and when they dont, you only get triggered erotically and romantically when a given woman shows interest in you sexually and romantically but that woman does not have to be objectively very pretty or sexy yet you will find her sexually desirable and romantically interesting anyway, if she does show that interest and is not way below your league or there is something odd and off-putting with her.

An interesting observation. Seems like there's some truth in it. But how do you measure things like "objectively very pretty or sexy" or "odd or off-putting". Perception of those qualities are subjective and so vary from individual to individual. The generality might go like this "all things being equal when woman is attracted to you sexually it's a turn on." And does that apply to all or most heterosexual men?

It appears to be different for women because in most cases they're the selectors. It's the qualities that she's looking for that determine the selection, not the fact that the guy is turned on. Yes ? No?

Geez are we off topic much?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Everybody knows that godless heathens treat women like shit.

Including godless heathen women.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby aniceguy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:41 pm

felix dakat wrote:

Women are not selectors...they chase men as much as men chase women or maybe even more(but they definitely care more about being sexually attractive) but in different ways. Thinking female simply exists and then picks from an unlimited sample of men is simplistic and idiotic. Even the idea of women marrying up and that whole hypergamy shite has major flaws in it and is by no means even proven.
aniceguy
Thinker

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:It is no coincidence that what we call the Renaissance, the Rebirth, started in Rome.

K: that is historical wrong... the Renaissance began, if one could say that, actually
began in Florence... and the person credited with beginning the Renaissance was
Petrach, who was born near Florence..in a city called Incisa...and one of the key
events of Petrach, was his climbing of Ventoux... on April 26, 1336....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:14 pm

aniceguy wrote:Blindness is a very serious disability with serious consequences for the disabled person so stop lying to yourself and telling yourself you are are not disabled. Its not that you dont have the right to think of yourself highly or have and demand respect for your own person or try and do live like an independent adult and be valuable but that you are missing something which will always have dire consequences which you can either lie to yourself about and believe do not make you different in a negative way or accept that reality and simply admit it is so, which simply means letting go of naivety on which you cant build anything but be prayed upon through. If you did not have somebody trusted to tell you how somebody looks, how would you be able to find a date or something basic like that???, you could not even tell if they have crooked teeth and are ugly or not and you could not tell how beautiful(or not) you are yourself...looks are very important for a female and you dont even have a way to tell how beautiful you are(or not)...how your dresses fit...colours and so on...so you are reliant on others for many basic things, hence you are disabled...sad but true. Does not mean if you had children and raised them properly, I(and many others!) would hold you as more valuable and respect worthy than the many divorced and irresponsible whores with young children and spinster cat-lady hedonistic plastic dolls and all the crap that floats nowadays...I definitely would, but you are still disabled...and such is this life...you might be beautiful and blind, another woman might have sight but be short and ugly...maybe one mother could have sight and make a shitter mother than you as a blind woman???what you think of that???do you think Id marry a blind woman who was a good woman or a whore with sight???but would I marry a blind girl if I could marry one which could see???

K: unless you have a disability, don't tell disable people how they are supposed to feel....
I am hearing impaired, have been all my life, and soon, I shall go completely deaf....
Helen Keller who was both blind and deaf, thought that being deaf was worse
then being blind, being blind separates us from things, being deaf separates us
from people.... I am handicap, but it doesn't impact me unless I allow it
to impact me... my own self worth isn't tied up in my deafness...
it just a thing to deal with, as I have dealt with it all my life...

I spend a good deal of my time at work, educating people on how to
deal with deaf people....don't cover your mouth, we lip read..
don't talk facing away from us, still lip read, don't start shouting
at us if we don't hear you, and what chaps my ass, is when people
give up very quickly on communicating to us... one try and boom,
they move on without giving us a chance to understand what you are saying...
people are very impatient when attempting to communicate..... they give
up really quickly.... and yes, I hate masks with a passion because
that prevents me from being able to lip read, but that is the price
I/we must pay to overcome this pandemic.... I make a lot of mistakes
because of masks and I can't tell what people are saying...and it would
help me greatly if the mask mandate was gone, but I understand....
I deal with it.....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:16 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Religion is not universal, cannot be universal. It is of a people, and any people's religion can easily be adapted and adopted by any other. If a thing is true, what does it matter if another knows it or if they change it up for themselves?

It is when it is made Universal that there is a problem. If it is universal, then everybody must be made to adapt to a strict interpretation of it, and to abandon anything they might believe that is not contained within its dogma. I reiterate: communism is an excellent example. Communism is the universalist mantra. And there is no recourse a communist won't take to to spread and impose their religion, or to stamp out any deviation.

Of course, the best tool is to laugh at them.

But my main point is that the Roman religion is not actually universal. God is a real, specific thing. So is Jesus.

K: you do know that the word ''Catholic'' means universal, right?

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality