Are Protestants more nihilistic than Catholics?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Are Protestants more nihilistic than Catholics?

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Ok, you got me. Cartesians who viewed the world empirically and reduced it to numbers of sets are what gave birth to phenemonology and Karl jaspers was a phenomologist because he used a phrase 'horizon of existence' and because Heidegger used da-sein also...you got me buddy.

Would you be so kind as to provide a few sentences defining da-sein as Heidegger understood it?
Kvasirs Mexican gay lover(writing about a need of committing a genocide on 99 percent whites and all non-whites as a Mexican mestizo himself):
And if they are not good, what could be wrong with the genocidal fantasy in my ‘Dies Irae’, published in Day of Wrath, with a vindictive Star Child calling home 500 million Caucasoids (and of course, all non-whites, including Jews) to, ironically, make sure that Dave Lane’s words be fulfilled with the remaining Aryans?.
My step-dads schizophrenic diagnosis:
I see a disease taking over....I will not stay silent. I will do what I can, when I can.
If we do not stand then we shall fall....and the enemy will win.

Remember: the world will end, all there is that is left is to fly between Canada and Greece and have barbecues and drink vodka before you wake up at 40 and remember to have a son who will be 30 when you are 70 and whos children will be 20 when you are 90. paGAYn as fuck.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Mañana. I gotta go.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Will be waiting.
Kvasirs Mexican gay lover(writing about a need of committing a genocide on 99 percent whites and all non-whites as a Mexican mestizo himself):
And if they are not good, what could be wrong with the genocidal fantasy in my ‘Dies Irae’, published in Day of Wrath, with a vindictive Star Child calling home 500 million Caucasoids (and of course, all non-whites, including Jews) to, ironically, make sure that Dave Lane’s words be fulfilled with the remaining Aryans?.
I see a disease taking over....I will not stay silent. I will do what I can, when I can.

Remember: the world will end, all there is that is left is to fly between Canada and Greece and have barbecues and drink vodka before you wake up at 40 and remember to have a son who will be 30 when you are 70 and whos children will be 20 when you are 90. paGAYn as fuck.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby Alf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:00 pm

Heidegger understands Dasein as the "being that we ever are ourselves" (Being and Time, 1927, p. 7) as the "being of man" (Being and Time, 1927, p. 25) and thus demarcates his philosophy against a philosophy of pure consciousness (cf. transcendentalism) and also against a merely material-empiricist conception of Dasein (cf. positivism).

Heidegger’s translator wrote:

"This being, which we ever are ourselves, and which has, among other things, the being-possibility of questioning, we grasp terminologically as Dasein." (Being and Time, p. 7).

"To be sure, Dasein is ontically not only close or even the next - we are it ever ourselves. Nevertheless, or precisely because of this, it is ontologically the most distant." (Being and Time, p. 15).

"Dasein, i.e. the being of man, is circumscribed in the vulgar as well as in the philosophical 'definition' as zóon lógon 'ékon , the living, whose being is essentially determined by being capable of speaking." (Being and Time, p. 25).
Alf

Postby Alf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:04 pm

The existence of the human being is used by means of an analysis of existence to reveal the essence and meaning of being (present in the human being).

The basis for being and the doctrine - the basic doctrine of being - is offered by Heidegger's fundamental ontology, laid down in his main work „Being and Time“, and denotes the results of his investigations of (human) Dasein for the purpose of opening up being (as a being that is also present in Dasein, a being that understands itself) and the meaning of being. The fundamental ontology shows how that is manifested in Dasein (see: existentials); it wants to be the basis for all empirical sciences.

The existentials are the ways of human existence, the categories of human being, with Heidegger above all the angst (fear, anxiety), furthermore the being-in-the-world, the concern (worry, care, welfare, getting, providing, managing, anxiety), the understanding, the mood, the thrownness and many others.
Alf

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:51 pm

Check into a psychiatrist. Da-sein is being as in living and da-sein is da-sein in da-sein as in being as in living and as this da-sein in da-sein becoming aware of this da-sein which is a da-sein itself. And this being of living is above human emotions and susceptible to 'throwness' which is??? Being in being being in being and being thrown around by being in being which can see its own being in being by standing beyond human anxieties by being in being properly being in being???not a hint of quackery here, not a sprinkle...

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:24 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Check into a psychiatrist. Da-sein is being as in living and da-sein is da-sein in da-sein as in being as in living and as this da-sein in da-sein becoming aware of this da-sein which is a da-sein itself. And this being of living is above human emotions and susceptible to 'throwness' which is??? Being in being being in being and being thrown around by being in being which can see its own being in being by standing beyond human anxieties by being in being properly being in being???not a hint of quackery here, not a sprinkle...

Any philosopher can be caricaturized. Caricaturization is not refutation. Logically caricature is a form of the straw man fallacy. Yours is funny though. And I suppose Heidegger's philosophy seems something like that to you.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Its not a strawman. Which quote is not by Heidegger???

The human being is not the lord of beings, but the shepherd of Being.

Martin Heidegger

To think Being itself explicitly requires disregarding Being to the extent that it is only grounded and interpreted in terms of beings and for beings as their ground, as in all metaphysics.

Martin Heidegger

“Understanding of being is itself a determination of being of Da-sein.”

Da-sein is being as in living and da-sein is da-sein in da-sein as in being as in living and as this da-sein in da-sein becoming aware of this da-sein which is a da-sein itself.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Its not a strawman. Which quote is not by Heidegger???

The human being is not the lord of beings, but the shepherd of Being.

Martin Heidegger

To think Being itself explicitly requires disregarding Being to the extent that it is only grounded and interpreted in terms of beings and for beings as their ground, as in all metaphysics.

Martin Heidegger

“Understanding of being is itself a determination of being of Da-sein.”

Da-sein is being as in living and da-sein is da-sein in da-sein as in being as in living and as this da-sein in da-sein becoming aware of this da-sein which is a da-sein itself.

Hopefully the last one. Lol. But the fact that Heidegger's thinking is sometimes abstruse, is insufficient grounds for wholesale rejection of his philosophy, much less for the rejection of phenomenology as a whole. It makes me wonder where you stand to make these criticisms, or conversely where philosophy stands in your point of view, point of view being a metaphor for the locus of consciousness, or as Heidegger would put it--Dasein.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:04 pm

:)

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:26 pm

I am an Aristotelian. I believe in philosophy constrained by logic and as a derivative of hard sciences which tackles questions which sciences can't tackle by their functional design. I think trying to 'reason out christianity' out of philosophy like Heidegger does to be missing the point completely. Philosophy is not a theology. The neo-nazis that drag behind Heidegger like a big hissing fart cloud because he was a member of NSDAP are a separate matter.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby Alf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:13 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Check into a psychiatrist (Jaspers for example who was an existence philosopher too). Da-sein is being as in living and da-sein is da-sein in da-sein as in being as in living and as this da-sein in da-sein becoming aware of this da-sein which is a da-sein itself. And this being of living is above human emotions and susceptible to 'throwness' which is??? Being in being being in being and being thrown around by being in being which can see its own being in being by standing beyond human anxieties by being in being properly being in being???not a hint of quackery here, not a sprinkle...

:lol:

It looks like you have quoted Iambiguous, who keeps using the word "dasein" but does not know what it means.

Iambiguous wrote:Dasein ..., note to others ..., more to the point ..., conflicting goods ..., we need a context ..., bring it down to earth ..., rooted in dasein.

:lol:
Alf

Postby Alf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:18 pm

felix dakat wrote:Heidegger was a brilliant phenomenologist who illuminates the experience of being in the world for me. So I suppose you don't understand him. That he made mistakes makes him human not a charlatan.
felix dakat wrote:Husserl, Jaspers, Merleau-Ponti, and Sartre in "being and nothingness", were all doing phenomenology. Anybody who gets phenomenology should be able to get Heidegger with some work. Once that is accomplished Heidegger won't seem like a charlatan anymore. Any philosophy that hopes to escape from the nihilism of modernity or post-modernity or what Friedrich Nietzsche identified as the nihilism of Christianity, must get phenomenology.
felix dakat wrote:
Jaspers7,13 had adopted phenomenology as a method of gaining knowledge on psychopathological phenomena from the Freiburg-based philosopher Edmund Husserl (1859-1938). The early work of Husserl (1901) shows that he understood phenomenology as the descriptive psychology of phenomena present to consciousness. According to him, all phenomena should be grasped free of any prejudice in their authentic, given selfhood by means of direct perception and intuition.14 Jaspers stressed explicitly that only the early Husserlian phenomenology was applicable in psychopathology, but “we are not practising here”7 the transcendental intuition of essences (Wesensschau) of his later work.15,16
Against the background of the philosophy of his days, Jaspers also adopted the distinction made by the neo-Kantian philosopher Wilhelm Windelband (1848-1915) between the nomothetic natural sciences and the ideographic human sciences.17 Continuing in this tradition, Wilhelm Dilthey (1833-1911) strictly distinguished between methods applicable to these two areas of being, in 1894 coining the tenet, “nature we explain, but psychic life we understand.”18,19
Jaspers defined phenomenology as the intuitive reproduction (Vergegenwärtigung), static understanding of “the individual facts of psychic life present in the consciousness”7 and discriminated it as a cross-sectional mode of inquiry from genetic understanding as a longitudinal approach.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 859%2D1938).&text=According%20to%20him%2C%20all%20phenomena,of%20direct%20perception%20and%20intuition.

Clearly, Jaspers was a phenomenologist.
felix dakat wrote:
polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Psychiatry is not philosophy. Read this https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/jaspers/
And stop wasting my fucking time you autistic kooks

From the Standford article in the section on Jaspers' philosophical writings:
"At the same time, however, he also claimed that rationality possesses capacities of communicative integrity and phenomenological self-overcoming, and, if authentically exercised, it is able to escape its narrowly functional form, to expose itself to new contents beyond its limits and antinomies, and to elaborate new and more cognitively unified conceptual structures."
In " Way to Wisdom" Jasper's argues: "Fundamentally we can express the reality of the world as the phenomenality of empirical existence. Everything we have said thus far: that there is an element of suspension in all modes of reality; that the world systems represent merely relative perspectives; that knowledge has the character of interpretation; that being is manifested in the dichotomy of subject and object--our whole characterization of the knowledge to which man can attain--implies that objects are mere appearances; no being that we know is being in itself and as a whole. The phenomenality of the empirical world was made fully clear by Kant."
felix dakat wrote:
polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:??? This is a Kantian and Wittgensteinian perspective. Was Kant a phenemonologist now also???

The transcendental phenomenological method Husserl conceived in the early 20th century borrows themes from both Descartes and Kant. It is a first person reflection on consciousness or the cogito. Husseral describes consciousness in its naive or natural state as immersed in the world of things, persons and other entities. He recommends that we suspend this natural attitude in order to reflect philosophically on conscious life in an unprejudiced way. He adopted the Kantian designation transcendental idealism which for him meant that all reality is analyzed strictly in terms of the meaning it has for a consciousness. Yes the world transcends and thus is not reducible to the consciousness we have of it, but that's precisely the meaning consciousness but bestows on it. Phenomenology focuses on how this meaning occurs. It doesn't explain a firm or deny the transcendence of the world it seeks to understand what it means. That's what gives it its name transcendental phenomenology. Incidentally Jasper's referred to this horizon of experience as the encompassing. So we might say Kant's copernican revolution necessitated modern phenomenology. Ludwig Wittgenstein's later philosophy reflects a profound phenomenological influence.
felix dakat wrote:In addition to the references I cited about Jasper's exposition of the being of encompassing in his book "Philosophy of Existence" is essentially phenomenological and parallels Heidegger in significant ways.

Total agreement, Felix Dakat. :handgestures-thumbup:

Because I have just seen your signature: Kiergegaard's concept of "existence" is closest to Heidegger's concept of "existence".

"Only a God can still save us." - Martin Heidegger in conversation with Rudolf Augstein, 1966.
Last edited by Alf on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alf

Postby Alf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 pm

Heidegger is recognized worldwide. He also had almost nothing to do with the NSDAP, because he regarded it as an eco-party (something like the later party "Die Grünen"). One can sometimes get lost in a party. Many people were also once in a party and then realized that this party was not the right address for them. Heidegger was quite apolitical.

Heidegger's existential philosophy with its fundamental ontology (Daseinsanalyse, etc.) offers an alternative to positivism (realism/naturalism) and transcendental idealism. He came from the phenomenology of Husserl (a Jew who was allowed to stay in Germany until his death in 1939 - was he also in the NSDAP?), which is also recognized worldwide.

The way Heidegger understood "existence" is perhaps closest to the concept Kierkegaard had of it. Otherwise, Heidegger's philosophy is unique, one of a kind. He did something philosophically that no one had ever done before. As I said, Heidegger's existential philosophy, with its fundamental ontology (Daseinsanalyse, etc.), offers an alternative to positivism (realism/naturalism) and transcendental idealism. He knew very well what problems there were with regard to cognition and that for the sciences and all other alternatives to it that had arisen until then, much had been presupposed but always remained hidden, which is even more the case today. It is always good to be able to fall back on alternatives. The fact that this does not always happen has to do with financing, i.e. with money and thus with power.

Heidegger was in the history of mankind the first philosophic ecologist, the first ecosophist, as one could say, and the first chrirotopologist.
Last edited by Alf on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alf

Postby Alf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:23 pm

By the way: Who is Kvasir?
Alf

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm

Kvasir is an autistic kook paGAYn Larper anonymous internet nobody whom nobody normal should pay any attention to unless they want to laugh or raise their pulse since he is both really obnoxious and really insane and actually believes he is a quasi genius and an artist, spiritual medium and ergo has big ego issues and guru tendencies, much like the cunt satire.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pm

From the Standford article in the section on Jaspers' philosophical writings:
"At the same time, however, he also claimed that rationality possesses capacities of communicative integrity and phenomenological self-overcoming, and, if authentically exercised, it is able to escape its narrowly functional form, to expose itself to new contents beyond its limits and antinomies, and to elaborate new and more cognitively unified conceptual structures."
In " Way to Wisdom" Jasper's argues: "Fundamentally we can express the reality of the world as the phenomenality of empirical existence. Everything we have said thus far: that there is an element of suspension in all modes of reality; that the world systems represent merely relative perspectives; that knowledge has the character of interpretation; that being is manifested in the dichotomy of subject and object--our whole characterization of the knowledge to which man can attain--implies that objects are mere appearances; no being that we know is being in itself and as a whole. The phenomenality of the empirical world was made fully clear by Kant."

What is it with kooks and being stuck on words, not their meaning??? Do you know the word 'phenomenology' is multivariate??? Where in the Stanford article or anywhere on the web does it say Jaspers was a phenomenologist? Find me one source which says or shows Jaspers being a phenomenologist or stop talking shit. The quote you provided...in no way suggests from Jaspers that he held phenomenologist views, only a neo-Kantian and existential mishmash, which I already said it is.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:33 pm

Lets get more transparent...you provide a definition of phenomenology first, then we can take off.
like this:
Phenemology:
couple of sentences
conclusions
the end.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:I am an Aristotelian. I believe in philosophy constrained by logic and as a derivative of hard sciences which tackles questions which sciences can't tackle by their functional design. I think trying to 'reason out christianity' out of philosophy like Heidegger does to be missing the point completely. Philosophy is not a theology. The neo-nazis that drag behind Heidegger like a big hissing fart cloud because he was a member of NSDAP are a separate matter.

As I understand it Heidegger gave up fundamental ontology which was the project of Being and Time. As a matter of fact it was Jaspers who read what he had written for what was to be the second half of that book and talked him out of publishing it saying it was incoherent. Heidegger concluded that fundamental ontology is impossible. Whatever is manifest phenomenally conceals as much as it discloses. Compare Taoism's yin/ yang, gestalt psychology's figure/ ground, and Kant's noumenon/phenomenon.

Heidegger's existential phenomenology is acceptable on pragmatic grounds. The practitioners of the special sciences don't live in a scientific world when they're not practicing their whatever their area of study is. Kuhn made it clear that scientific practice is embedded in and contingent upon a world where hierarchical power and money prevail. Compare with Heidegger's "The They".
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Pragmatic grounds are not an intellectual standard. Any problem can be solved, its just a question of finding somebody who will be willing to be satisfied with its solution. And white-washing Heidegger from the insanity of Nazism should really get you a slap across your face but we are on the internet and here all the filth and insanity gets a pass. Anybody who stayed a Nazi after 1934 knew what he was getting into.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Lets get more transparent...you provide a definition of phenomenology first, then we can take off.
like this:
Phenemology:
couple of sentences
conclusions
the end.

If you want to pursue this I'll start another thread and call it "existential phenomenology".
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:42 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Pragmatic grounds are not an intellectual standard. Any problem can be solved, its just a question of finding somebody who will be willing to be satisfied with its solution. And white-washing Heidegger from the insanity of Nazism should really get you a slap across your face but we are on the internet and here all the filth and insanity gets a pass. Anybody who stayed a Nazi after 1934 knew what he was getting into.

Did I somewhere suggest the wholesale uncritical adoption of Heidegger's philosophy? The relationship of Heidegger's philosophy to Nazism versus the relationship of the man Heidegger to Nazism is a question embedded in the question of Heidegger's relationship to his philosophy embedded in the relationship of any philosopher to his philosophy.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 pm

I was not talking to you but to Alf and commenting his 'ecologism' remarks which is a horseshit ideology in itself anyway and the only good it does is to provide a pretext for all power-hungry totalitarianism and bureaucracies to stick their nose into peoples affairs under a pretext of protecting animals. I mean, people who eat cheap meat or eat a lot of meat are filthy and selfish pigs(because mass farming is a disgusting and barbaric process) but I am definitely not going to surrender my freedoms so a glorious leader like Stalin or Hitler or Obama can step in and save all the chickens in the world because I am above a chicken and I and my wellbeing come before a chicken and I am not a naive autistic dullard zealot who does not understand how power and the world works. Humans are filthy and selfish pigs and a shitload of reservations about anything done on a mass scale is the only reasonable approach.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:25 pm

Catholics obey their Pope. What he says goes regardless of what the Bible says.
Catholicism is a disrespect for evidence, and a respect for authority. It is deductive, in that reasons follow from principle rather than evidence. It is deductive since is argues from the general to the particular.

Luther set the world on a path which overturned that. Religion was to be followed by examination of the Book of God and the Book of Life. These were the main sources of evidence by which the world was to understand god and how to behave. Protestantism is Inductive, it processes evidence and the particular to find general principles by which to live.
In this way the Reformation opened up the European mind for the growth of science and the enlightenment, which would eventually reject god in most instances.

Nietzsche thought Protestant's more dangerous since they were slightly harder to argue against since they had understood part of the way to the enlightenment and so had some convincing sounding arguments in their weaponry.
Sculptor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Nice and easy...Protestantism = science and progress. Catholicism = fanaticism and backwardness. Almost as nice and simple as shitTHYSELF kooks tirades but, for better or worse, the reality is not simple. You are at least being honest and are not scheming against Catholics like the autistic zealots who would find exceptions to the rule and focus all their attention on it whilst ignoring the whole picture. If there was some Pope or bishop who hated women and if females were slaves in the whole of Ancient Greece, it is pretty obvious that Christians degraded feminity and females whilst the Ancients were noble and a strong, independent female with no instinct to procreate would fare far better in Antiquity.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality