Are Protestants more nihilistic than Catholics?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Are Protestants more nihilistic than Catholics?

Postby Kathrina » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:45 am

Is it true that protestants are more nihilistic than catholics?

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:One should be harder against Protestants than against Catholics, harder against liberal Protestants than against strict believers. The criminality in Christianity increases as one approaches science.

Source: "The Antichrist", 1889, p. 252 (Appendix).

ImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Re: Are Protestants more nihilistic than Catholics?

Postby encode_decode » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:15 pm

Kathrina wrote:Is it true that protestants are more nihilistic than catholics?

Now? I mean the quote date is 132 years ago given the number - "Source: "The Antichrist", 1889, p. 252 (Appendix).". A lot has changed since then. I fear we lean too much on old philosophy and text instead of learning from it for what it was for the time it was written. At least one thing in life is certain: CHANGE.

It would seem that it is not just protestants - it is everyone(well not everyone). An increasing number of people are deserting their belief in god.

I once crossed a dangerous threshold into nothingness - on the other side of this nothingness was something special...a story for another time.

More specifically: It is likely that protestants are more nihilistic than Catholics - the question is: how much more?
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 pm

Encode wrote:

"I once crossed a dangerous threshold into nothingness - on the other side of this nothingness was something special...a story for another time."
Meno_
breathless

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Encode_Decode wrote:

"I once crossed a dangerous threshold into nothingness - on the other side of this nothingness was something special...a story for another time."

I went there once, as well, found going back literally impossible without treating it dialectically. Appropriating some synthetic unity leads to various contradictions, the only possible solution for me became a methodological overlay, thus avoiding inner conflict by sustaining a credible tension.

That brings it to the question, can God be excluded from nihilism, or is He part and parcel in it, thereby He feeling and experiencing that tension as well?

If so, Protestanism can be looked at as more a product of an intent participation than denial of said exclusion.( of loss of faith)

But these are simply effected symptoms, rather then actual changes in a sense of real dynamic interrelation. Evaluation becomes so nebulous, that the answer may be more of conjecture than a real solution.
Meno_
breathless

Postby felix dakat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:One should be harder against Protestants than against Catholics, harder against liberal Protestants than against strict believers. The criminality in Christianity increases as one approaches science.

It's not like Nietzsche proved that Christianity was fundamentally nihilistic in the first place.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Jakob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 pm

N prefers honesty of form, so if you are going to be religious in such an emotional, feminine way as Christianity offers, then do it properly, with undivided admiration of the religion, giving everything to it - then at least it can sustain some honest natures within the fabric, such as have so much existed within catholicism - there I snow shortage of wit and rebellion, irony and realism inside a full fledged ideology about good and evil. You will find a similar thing in Islam. Within Protestantism, religion became something not celebrating even itself, it was merely a punishment and therefore, the most criminal minds felt compelled to it.

Or consider this angle;

Only if the heart of things is dark and mysterious, will people obey. Once they have penetrated the heart of things, and once it is rational, once it is something which they can understand, they will not be afraid of it. They will not be in awe of it, they will not revere it, and so it will collapse. What we need, therefore, is something dark and unintelligible." (Isaiah Berlin, Freedom and Its Betrayal, "Maistre". [Cf. Isaiah Berlin, lecture on Joseph de Maistre.])

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... e#p2691914
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Kathrina » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:58 am

The Ancient Greeks and Romans themselves, because they had long since become nihilistic, became Christians.
ImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Postby Jakob » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:47 pm

Kathrina wrote:The Ancient Greeks and Romans themselves, because they had long since become nihilistic, became Christians.

Though they weren't all that ancient anymore then. Society had already been urbanized, in the sense of Cosmopolis. I.e. gossip-culture.

Rome's significant culture all happened before Constantine, and certainly Greece had long faded when Christ took the scene.

Though indeed it is true that, with the advent of Sokrates, nihilistic ideology became possible.
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:53 pm

"At different times, the Romans persecuted the Christians because of their beliefs, which were popular among the poor. ... Finally, by this time, Romans considered their emperor a god. But the Christian belief in one god — who was not the emperor — weakened the authority and credibility of the emperor."

The clue is in there. It was the fact that rome was already a rigid class based system with wealth disparity (like we ain't never seen) so bad that the lower peasant and slave class was quite ready and willing to weaponize the idea that not only was the emperor not god, but an evil greedy bastard.

Now the fact that Christianity was the tool used for this is incidental to the fact that it originated in the peasantry class. It's that possibility of a broke ass class in the first place that such a morbid religion as xtianity is able to evolve.

But an analysis of whatever elements might be present which make xtianity 'nihilistic', the important part is to recognize it as a cry of revolt from an incredibly, incredibly oppressed people. But arguing about what is 'nihilistic' or not'll end up becoming a futile exercise in semantics.

When examining the Christian, ask first what it is that makes him most miserable and proceed from there.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:30 pm

I'd not take what Nietzsche says too seriously. What he believed in and had predicted had turned out to be a grave miscalculation, whatever the swaths of autistic bootlicker fanboys might say and twist around to find the 58th bottom to his sentences; he believed in a more civilized and more sensitive and more determined human to emerge after the collapse of Christianity and what we got instead was a reversion to savagery and superstition as the trenches of WW1 and Concentration Camps of WW2 showed. He is not a charlatan like Heidegger but he was simply wrong. After the collapse of Christianity, a reversion to barbarism and pre-Christian superstitions occurred and the European man was massacred and stripped of any dignity, engaged in wars that exhausted Europe and permanently wiped its global dominance off planet Earth whilst during the Middle Ages, Europeans were unified under one faith and Church and a European respected a European.
Kvasirs Mexican gay lover(writing about a need of committing a genocide on 99 percent whites and all non-whites as a Mexican mestizo himself):
And if they are not good, what could be wrong with the genocidal fantasy in my ‘Dies Irae’, published in Day of Wrath, with a vindictive Star Child calling home 500 million Caucasoids (and of course, all non-whites, including Jews) to, ironically, make sure that Dave Lane’s words be fulfilled with the remaining Aryans?.
My step-dads schizophrenic diagnosis:
I see a disease taking over....I will not stay silent. I will do what I can, when I can.
If we do not stand then we shall fall....and the enemy will win.

Remember: the world will end, all there is that is left is to fly between Canada and Greece and have barbecues and drink vodka before you wake up at 40 and remember to have a son who will be 30 when you are 70 and whos children will be 20 when you are 90. paGAYn as fuck.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Metaphysics has nothing to do with science. A human must believe and must know. Science and faith are simply two distinct and non-interchangeable domains of human cognitive activity. The changes to Christianity which Luther and Protestants pushed were positive and reasonable, unlike the anti-Darwinistic movement of the Yank Protestant churches in the South which reacted with the Darwinistic revolution with a reversion to a cult and fanaticism which was bound up to die-out and turn into a shithole it is nowadays because it, obviously, could never hope to synchronize itself with the general society and adjust to the monumental historical changes. Of course...Protestantism has died out because it did not keep a definite line between itself and politics and became too radically fractured in too many opposing directions, under no central authority to monitor the level of charlatanism and quackery and to inject the faith with a sense of general direction and purpose. This same reversion to primitivism is occurring now in the Roman Catholic church; they are moving out of Europe into less advanced Africas and Latin Americas; John Paul 2 was the first non-German/Italian to be elected, the current Pope the first non-European.
___
ALSO: there is no magical 'nihilism'...nihilism is simple: seeing no value or objective beyond satisfying ones own selfish needs. All these tirades and convoluted rants the kooks like SATIRE or others go about...is pure quackery. Nihilism is everything and nothing, a nihilist is a man whom I dont like. It's like an autistic cult code-word to discredit somebody automatically...like a Capitalist in Soviet Russia or racist in Modern America...a trigger kind of thing, half-sane autistic dim-wits use to warn themselves of a stranger and a kind of emotional trigger to gather the hens around to attack.
Kvasirs Mexican gay lover(writing about a need of committing a genocide on 99 percent whites and all non-whites as a Mexican mestizo himself):
And if they are not good, what could be wrong with the genocidal fantasy in my ‘Dies Irae’, published in Day of Wrath, with a vindictive Star Child calling home 500 million Caucasoids (and of course, all non-whites, including Jews) to, ironically, make sure that Dave Lane’s words be fulfilled with the remaining Aryans?.
I see a disease taking over....I will not stay silent. I will do what I can, when I can.

Remember: the world will end, all there is that is left is to fly between Canada and Greece and have barbecues and drink vodka before you wake up at 40 and remember to have a son who will be 30 when you are 70 and whos children will be 20 when you are 90. paGAYn as fuck.
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:17 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:I'd not take what Nietzsche says too seriously. What he believed in and had predicted had turned out to be a grave miscalculation, whatever the swaths of autistic bootlicker fanboys might say and twist around to find the 58th bottom to his sentences; he believed in a more civilized and more sensitive and more determined human to emerge after the collapse of Christianity and what we got instead was a reversion to savagery and superstition as the trenches of WW1 and Concentration Camps of WW2 showed. He is not a charlatan like Heidegger but he was simply wrong. After the collapse of Christianity, a reversion to barbarism and pre-Christian superstitions occurred and the European man was massacred and stripped of any dignity, engaged in wars that exhausted Europe and permanently wiped its global dominance off planet Earth whilst during the Middle Ages, Europeans were unified under one faith and Church and a European respected a European.

Heidegger was a brilliant phenomenologist who illuminates the experience of being in the world for me. So I suppose you don't understand him. That he made mistakes makes him human not a charlatan.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 pm

Elaborate being in being, da-sein. Just few sentences with the bear basics. And I mean the charlatan quacks da-sein, not the original from the great Karl Jasper whom every intelligent member here should read. Yes; Heidegger fabricated the terms themselves too, not just stole from the medical eclasstic texts and various other sources. He was the modern day zizek; a cretins smart man. Much like my 40 year old asperg faggot kvasir...big words, bizzare sentences, grandiose propositions and an endless stream of pretentious implications which are kept coated in mysticism and passive-agressivness and never reach any clear and articulated conclusions...just much saner and smarter.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:43 pm

Charlatans prey on ignorance and weakness. For example: I used to take what satyr(and kvasir and all the other time wasting kooks on shitthyself) wrote seriously, I even wrote him a small poem for his birthday...then I red Heidegger, I red experts texts on Heidegger, I verified and analysed fors and againsts, I seemed out his enthusiasts and critics and eventually I was able to see that satyr is talking about Heidegger like an expert but never even red Heidegger...because Heidegger was a quasi-christian existentialist. So I could easily see that anybody who talks negatively about Christianity and simultaneously praises Heidegger is either a fool or a neo-nazi fool who likes hedegger because the title of the nazi is floating above his head and anybody Nazi to a neo-nazi must be good and noble...fuck quacks and time wasting kooks

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:24 am

Husserl, Jaspers, Merleau-Ponti, and Sartre in "being and nothingness", were all doing phenomenology. Anybody who gets phenomenology should be able to get Heidegger with some work. Once that is accomplished Heidegger won't seem like a charlatan anymore. Any philosophy that hopes to escape from the nihilism of modernity or post-modernity or what Friedrich Nietzsche identified as the nihilism of Christianity, must get phenomenology.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:10 am

Phenemonology is a quackery like psychoanalysis and you, like practically every balloon-head mumbling innanities about Heidegger, can't even say what he is about because you don't even know because it is nonsense. And Karl jaspers was ridiculed by quacks like Heidegger a d that whole Parisian brain-shitter with adornos and the pervert weirdo queers like the faggot bald Frenchmen fucolt so you are simply talking nonsense and outrightly and disrespectful lying to people you kook. Jaspers was not a phenemonologist.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:20 am

You know... The Roman Catholic Heidegger with his favour for Aristotelianism and the works of Christian theologists are very close to my heart...does not change the fact that he was a manipulative and dishonest quack who polluted the heads of young Europeans with idiocies and bullshit to gain privately fame and wealth and appraisal and loads of young student pussy. Anybody like that should have his tongue cut out, youth must be guarded against quacks and charlatans.

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:42 am

Jaspers7,13 had adopted phenomenology as a method of gaining knowledge on psychopathological phenomena from the Freiburg-based philosopher Edmund Husserl (1859-1938). The early work of Husserl (1901) shows that he understood phenomenology as the descriptive psychology of phenomena present to consciousness. According to him, all phenomena should be grasped free of any prejudice in their authentic, given selfhood by means of direct perception and intuition.14 Jaspers stressed explicitly that only the early Husserlian phenomenology was applicable in psychopathology, but “we are not practising here”7 the transcendental intuition of essences (Wesensschau) of his later work.15,16

Against the background of the philosophy of his days, Jaspers also adopted the distinction made by the neo-Kantian philosopher Wilhelm Windelband (1848-1915) between the nomothetic natural sciences and the ideographic human sciences.17 Continuing in this tradition, Wilhelm Dilthey (1833-1911) strictly distinguished between methods applicable to these two areas of being, in 1894 coining the tenet, “nature we explain, but psychic life we understand.”18,19

Jaspers defined phenomenology as the intuitive reproduction (Vergegenwärtigung), static understanding of “the individual facts of psychic life present in the consciousness”7 and discriminated it as a cross-sectional mode of inquiry from genetic understanding as a longitudinal approach.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 859%2D1938).&text=According%20to%20him%2C%20all%20phenomena,of%20direct%20perception%20and%20intuition.

Clearly, Jaspers was a phenomenologist.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Alf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:04 am

felix dakat wrote:
Jaspers7,13 had adopted phenomenology as a method of gaining knowledge on psychopathological phenomena from the Freiburg-based philosopher Edmund Husserl (1859-1938). The early work of Husserl (1901) shows that he understood phenomenology as the descriptive psychology of phenomena present to consciousness. According to him, all phenomena should be grasped free of any prejudice in their authentic, given selfhood by means of direct perception and intuition.14 Jaspers stressed explicitly that only the early Husserlian phenomenology was applicable in psychopathology, but “we are not practising here”7 the transcendental intuition of essences (Wesensschau) of his later work.15,16

Against the background of the philosophy of his days, Jaspers also adopted the distinction made by the neo-Kantian philosopher Wilhelm Windelband (1848-1915) between the nomothetic natural sciences and the ideographic human sciences.17 Continuing in this tradition, Wilhelm Dilthey (1833-1911) strictly distinguished between methods applicable to these two areas of being, in 1894 coining the tenet, “nature we explain, but psychic life we understand.”18,19

Jaspers defined phenomenology as the intuitive reproduction (Vergegenwärtigung), static understanding of “the individual facts of psychic life present in the consciousness”7 and discriminated it as a cross-sectional mode of inquiry from genetic understanding as a longitudinal approach.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 859%2D1938).&text=According%20to%20him%2C%20all%20phenomena,of%20direct%20perception%20and%20intuition.

Clearly, Jaspers was a phenomenologist.

Yes. Jaspers was a phenomenologist and existential philosopher. Heidegger too. It is said in Heidegger’s main work that ontology is only possible as phenomenology (cf. § 7, C, p. 35), that ontology and phenomenology are not two different disciplines beside others belonging to philosophy, that his investigations have only become possible on the ground laid by E. Husserl, with whose "Logische Untersuchungen" (1900) phenomenology came to its breakthrough (cf. § 7, C, p. 38).
Alf

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:20 am

Psychiatry is not philosophy. Read this https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/jaspers/
And stop wasting my fucking time you autistic kooks

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:10 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:Psychiatry is not philosophy. Read this https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/jaspers/
And stop wasting my fucking time you autistic kooks

From the Standford article in the section on Jaspers' philosophical writings:
"At the same time, however, he also claimed that rationality possesses capacities of communicative integrity and phenomenological self-overcoming, and, if authentically exercised, it is able to escape its narrowly functional form, to expose itself to new contents beyond its limits and antinomies, and to elaborate new and more cognitively unified conceptual structures."

In " Way to Wisdom" Jasper's argues: "Fundamentally we can express the reality of the world as the phenomenality of empirical existence. Everything we have said thus far: that there is an element of suspension in all modes of reality; that the world systems represent merely relative perspectives; that knowledge has the character of interpretation; that being is manifested in the dichotomy of subject and object--our whole characterization of the knowledge to which man can attain--implies that objects are mere appearances; no being that we know is being in itself and as a whole. The phenomenality of the empirical world was made fully clear by Kant."
Last edited by felix dakat on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 pm

??? This is a Kantian and Wittgensteinian perspective. Was Kant a phenemonologist now also???

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:39 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:??? This is a Kantian and Wittgensteinian perspective. Was Kant a phenemonologist now also???

The transcendental phenomenological method Husserl conceived in the early 20th century borrows themes from both Descartes and Kant. It is a first person reflection on consciousness or the cogito. Husseral describes consciousness in its naive or natural state as immersed in the world of things, persons and other entities. He recommends that we suspend this natural attitude in order to reflect philosophically on conscious life in an unprejudiced way. He adopted the Kantian designation transcendental idealism which for him meant that all reality is analyzed strictly in terms of the meaning it has for a consciousness. Yes the world transcends and thus is not reducible to the consciousness we have of it, but that's precisely the meaning consciousness but bestows on it. Phenomenology focuses on how this meaning occurs. It doesn't explain a firm or deny the transcendence of the world it seeks to understand what it means. That's what gives it its name transcendental phenomenology. Incidentally Jasper's referred to this horizon of experience as the encompassing. So we might say Kant's copernican revolution necessitated modern phenomenology. Ludwig Wittgenstein's later philosophy reflects a profound phenomenological influence.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:10 pm

... ok buddy...all physics and mathematics and cultural shifts(Copernican revolution), Descartes writing on irreducibility of the world to machine and Kant's philosophical system led to phenemonology... Do you want to name drop even more??? Did Christianity lead to phenemonology? Was the Trojan war a preface to Husserl's insights? Maybe Hegelian book on phenemology also??? Are you stoupid? The only philosophical work worth reading from Wittgenstein is his early philosophy contained in his tractatus, he went mystic later in his life and found a fertile pseudoscience in phenemology which could be used to philosophically argue for the 'Christian god'. Jaspers was not a phenomologist, if anything he would be a neo-Kantian, quasi-romantic existentialist. What did you read from Jaspers that makes you so sure he is a phenomenologist???which book???

polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 pm

polishyouthgotipbanned wrote:... ok buddy...all physics and mathematics and cultural shifts(Copernican revolution), Descartes writing on irreducibility of the world to machine and Kant's philosophical system led to phenemonology... Do you want to name drop even more??? Did Christianity lead to phenemonology? Was the Trojan war a preface to Husserl's insights? Maybe Hegelian book on phenemology also??? Are you stoupid? The only philosophical work worth reading from Wittgenstein is his early philosophy contained in his tractatus, he went mystic later in his life and found a fertile pseudoscience in phenemology which could be used to philosophically argue for the 'Christian god'. Jaspers was not a phenomologist, if anything he would be a neo-Kantian, quasi-romantic existentialist. What did you read from Jaspers that makes you so sure he is a phenomenologist???which book???

In addition to the references I cited about Jasper's exposition of the being of encompassing in his book "Philosophy of Existence" is essentially phenomenological and parallels Heidegger in significant ways.
felix dakat
Janitor

Next

Return to Religion and Spirituality