Is the knowledge of good and evil, good or evil?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is the knowledge of good and evil, good or evil?

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Ecmandu wrote:
You are so fucking misinformed about existence.

Too stupid to merit a reply.

Thanks for peeking out. Now put your head back up the ass of your genocidal prick of a god.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Greatest I am

Knowledge is simply a tool so in and of itself, it is neither good nor evil. It depends on how it is used. A hammer can be used to help build a house or it could be used to crack someone over the head and murder them. It kind of swims In the same waters as does power.

For you, me, and Adam to answer this question; we need the knowledge of good and evil.

So, how do we go about judging that when we all have our own preconceptions, opinions, desires, et cetera? How do we judge what is moral and ethical when there may be someone who is harmed or sacrificed for the so-called greater good?

I think that judging what is good and creates the most positive results can be a very messy and dirty affair and "the most positive results" may still be in the eye of the beholder.

Ultimate truth, if there be such a thing, demands the concert of many voices. -- Carl Jung.

…and even then we may not get it right.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Greatest I am

Knowledge is simply a tool so in and of itself, it is neither good nor evil. It depends on how it is used. A hammer can be used to help build a house or it could be used to crack someone over the head and murder them. It kind of swims In the same waters as does power.

I agree that in our dualistic reality, both good and evil will hold both good and evil aspects.
For you, me, and Adam to answer this question; we need the knowledge of good and evil.

So, how do we go about judging that when we all have our own preconceptions, opinions, desires, et cetera? How do we judge what is moral and ethical when there may be someone who is harmed or sacrificed for the so-called greater good?

I think that judging what is good and creates the most positive results can be a very messy and dirty affair and "the most positive results" may still be in the eye of the beholder.

Ultimate truth, if there be such a thing, demands the concert of many voices. -- Carl Jung.

…and even then we may not get it right.

On judging moral, you might know that better than 70% of us start with some form of reciprocity rule, so most of us are not that far from the norm, be you on the right or left.

We can usually get consensus if we use straight logic and reason, but unfortunately we tend to be polarized to our right or left and that has us ignore logic and reason for out tribal affiliations and opinions.

I see that a lot in homophobes and the misogynous that say they live by the Golden Rule, even as they break it.

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality