Wholeness

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Wholeness

Postby felix dakat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:07 am

"The impenetrable mystery of human familial and socio-political wreckage reshaped and made beautiful by the One who descends into it—while also emerging from it: Jesus, the Savior."

An example of descension and emergence-- manifest in the symbolic cosmology... theoretically entertainable in the scientific cosmology. But could you get grant money to research it?

'One of Nietzsche’s more provocative aphorisms declares, “I fear we have not freed ourselves from God, because we still believe in grammar.”

Raises the question what does grammar have to do with the structure of being?
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:50 pm

You may be asked: How did God bring forth being from nothingness?

Answer as follows: Being is in nothingness in the mode of nothingness and nothingness is in being in the mode of being. Nothingness is being and being is nothingness. The mode of being as it begins to emerge from nothingness into existence is called faith. For the term faith applies neither to visible comprehensible being nor to nothingness invisible and incomprehensible but rather to the nexus of nothingness and being. Being does not stem from nothingness alone but rather from being and nothingness together. All is one in the simplicity of absolute undifferentiation. Our limited mind cannot grasp or fathom this for a joins infinity.

Azriel of Gerona

This confirms my fundametal intuition about being itself. This is what Tillich called the "mystical a priori". The Kabbalists call it Ein Sof. Jung called it the Pleroma. Lao Tsu called it the Tao. Hegel called it the Absolute. It has many other names throughout the history of the perennial philosophy. Xenophanes called it the Whole.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:26 pm

How telling it is that Descartes who's considered a founder of modern philosophy did not consider imagination or emotion, two features of the psyche that are necessary for wholeness, to be essential to human nature
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am

felix dakat wrote:You may be asked: How did God bring forth being from nothingness?
Answer as follows: Being is in nothingness in the mode of nothingness and nothingness is in being in the mode of being. Nothingness is being and being is nothingness. The mode of being as it begins to emerge from nothingness into existence is called faith. For the term faith applies neither to visible comprehensible being nor to nothingness invisible and incomprehensible but rather to the nexus of nothingness and being. Being does not stem from nothingness alone but rather from being and nothingness together. All is one in the simplicity of absolute undifferentiation. Our limited mind cannot grasp or fathom this for a joins infinity.
Azriel of Gerona

This confirms my fundametal intuition about being itself. This is what Tillich called the "mystical a priori". The Kabbalists call it Ein Sof. Jung called it the Pleroma. Lao Tsu called it the Tao. Hegel called it the Absolute. It has many other names throughout the history of the perennial philosophy. Xenophanes called it the Whole.

I think that the Taoists have summed it up, that anything you can name isn’t the Tao, which may equate with “Being is in nothingness in the mode of nothingness and nothingness is in being in the mode of being”. The thing is that mankind has, for thousands of years, maybe more, been struggling with consciousness. For as long as mankind became aware of himself and aware that he was aware, the brutality of life meant inexplicable suffering, over and above what animals without this consciousness suffered. Some societies just ignored it and became the most brutal of history, others tried to solve the problem but became indecisive and weak in opposition to the others.

I think that this story of suffering is one of the biggest problems with regard to modern evangelical ideas of God. The hope that everything will work out in the end is what many people are left with, and in the end the only thing that helps them find comfort. Without that they would otherwise not be able to feel whole.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:59 am

In the ancient world, the appearance of “hybrid monsters” was interpreted as a warning sign that the stability of ‘space’ was being threatened by the influences of ‘time.’ Thus, in the book of Genesis, the deluge was preceded by the appearance of hybrid giants called “Nephilim.” These were born from the illicit unions of “sons of gods” and “daughters of men.” Moreover, according to many traditions, these giants were engaged in crossbreeding, which ultimately contributed to the flood at the cosmic scale.

According to this cosmology, stability is obtained at the expense of completeness, through the removal of ambiguous cases. This inevitably creates “remainders” which come to symbolize the fluid medium of ‘time.’ These ambiguous cases are exiled from familiar space in order to increase its consistency and stability, and they are returned to manifestation when summoning the flood.
Pageau, Matthieu. The Language of Creation: Cosmic Symbolism in Genesis (S.119). Kindle-Version.

This is obviously a modern subject, since hybridization in various forms has been going on for some time. The removal of ambiguity as a result of achieving “completeness” or, as I would put it, wholeness, seems contra-intuitive in a society in which ambiguity has become widespread. Is not the Gender discussion extremely ambiguous?

The completeness that this cosmology attempts to achieve is from the bottom up, just like the build of cellular bodies like ourselves in which every part is, ideally, serving the whole. However, social life has a certain ambiguity, which is often translated as a kind of thrill. It is by making life less certain that people gain a motivation for living. Of course, what it is that they keep ambiguous differs on various levels, but it is the risk of instability that provides that extra excitement.

Is not our own wholeness threatened by the risk of instability in various areas of society? Is the answer a rigid stability that rules out ambiguity?
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Bob wrote:
In the ancient world, the appearance of “hybrid monsters” was interpreted as a warning sign that the stability of ‘space’ was being threatened by the influences of ‘time.’ Thus, in the book of Genesis, the deluge was preceded by the appearance of hybrid giants called “Nephilim.” These were born from the illicit unions of “sons of gods” and “daughters of men.” Moreover, according to many traditions, these giants were engaged in crossbreeding, which ultimately contributed to the flood at the cosmic scale.

According to this cosmology, stability is obtained at the expense of completeness, through the removal of ambiguous cases. This inevitably creates “remainders” which come to symbolize the fluid medium of ‘time.’ These ambiguous cases are exiled from familiar space in order to increase its consistency and stability, and they are returned to manifestation when summoning the flood.
Pageau, Matthieu. The Language of Creation: Cosmic Symbolism in Genesis (S.119). Kindle-Version.

This is obviously a modern subject, since hybridization in various forms has been going on for some time. The removal of ambiguity as a result of achieving “completeness” or, as I would put it, wholeness, seems contra-intuitive in a society in which ambiguity has become widespread. Is not the Gender discussion extremely ambiguous?

The completeness that this cosmology attempts to achieve is from the bottom up, just like the build of cellular bodies like ourselves in which every part is, ideally, serving the whole. However, social life has a certain ambiguity, which is often translated as a kind of thrill. It is by making life less certain that people gain a motivation for living. Of course, what it is that they keep ambiguous differs on various levels, but it is the risk of instability that provides that extra excitement.

Is not our own wholeness threatened by the risk of instability in various areas of society? Is the answer a rigid stability that rules out ambiguity?

This isn't new. I'm a Sagittarius whose symbol is the centaur half man and half horse -- a hybrid monster. Saint Christopher who carried the Christ child across the river has the head of a dog. The cherubim that surround the throne of God have two pairs of wings and four faces that of an ox, a lion, a human and an eagle. Stay in the center and everything falls into place.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Bob wrote:
felix dakat wrote:You may be asked: How did God bring forth being from nothingness?
Azriel of Gerona

I think that the Taoists have summed it up, that anything you can name isn’t the Tao, which may equate with “Being is in nothingness in the mode of nothingness and nothingness is in being in the mode of being”. The thing is that mankind has, for thousands of years, maybe more, been struggling with consciousness. For as long as mankind became aware of himself and aware that he was aware, the brutality of life meant inexplicable suffering, over and above what animals without this consciousness suffered. Some societies just ignored it and became the most brutal of history, others tried to solve the problem but became indecisive and weak in opposition to the others.

I think that this story of suffering is one of the biggest problems with regard to modern evangelical ideas of God. The hope that everything will work out in the end is what many people are left with, and in the end the only thing that helps them find comfort. Without that they would otherwise not be able to feel whole.

Suffering propels all life forward. We wouldn't do anything if we didn't suppose that it would make better the unbearable present. Eschatology extends that principle to the macrocosm.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:57 am

felix dakat wrote:Suffering propels all life forward. We wouldn't do anything if we didn't suppose that it would make better the unbearable present. Eschatology extends that principle to the macrocosm.

Yes, I suppose you are right. It sometimes moves people to compassion. It's just strange how people tend to jump on people who have shown themselves to have some weakness, rather than move them to compassion though. Í find that compassion is really the universal mover in our world. Where it appears we make a move forward. It just seems to require suffering to inspire compassion.
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Dan~ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Pain is ok. But when there is too much, it overloads and screws over the psyche.

Truth is what propels life into a good, realistic future.

Without truth, everything is rendered powerless.
Truth is a form of power, too.

Without truth, you could not come to a conclusion or even make a reply to my post.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 pm

Bob wrote:
felix dakat wrote:Suffering propels all life forward. We wouldn't do anything if we didn't suppose that it would make better the unbearable present. Eschatology extends that principle to the macrocosm.

Yes, I suppose you are right. It sometimes moves people to compassion. It's just strange how people tend to jump on people who have shown themselves to have some weakness, rather than move them to compassion though. Í find that compassion is really the universal mover in our world. Where it appears we make a move forward. It just seems to require suffering to inspire compassion.

I used to joke that I had a life simplification plan. And the plan went like this: when you think of doing something... don't! Of course if you follow that plan for long you'll die. So what shall you do? Until you are able to love and take care of yourself you can't be much help to others. I learned this from Thich Nhat Hanh. Jordan Peterson teaches the same thing when he says treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:18 pm

Dan~ wrote:Pain is ok. But when there is too much, it overloads and screws over the psyche.

Without truth, you could not come to a conclusion or even make a reply to my post.

Goodness, Beauty and Truth are the three of the highest values of Western Civilization. A trinity. Jesus added a fourth --Love--making a quaternity--a symbol of wholeness.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Great Again » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:53 pm

Dan~ wrote:Pain is ok. But when there is too much, it overloads and screws over the psyche.

Yes, pain is ok, but: Would you please tell the other mods to unlock my posts?

Thank you very much, Dan~.

My PM function doesn't work.
Great Again

Postby Dan~ » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Great Again wrote:

Yes, pain is ok, but: Would you please tell the other mods to unlock my posts?

Thank you very much, Dan~.

My PM function doesn't work.

Right now im the only mod around and carleas is admin.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm

I often come across the subject of wholeness when I am pursuing other things as with here while reading phenomenology. Why it is that we perceive what science tells us are bundles of atoms as wholes in the first place is a phenomenon worthy of reflection. Moving on from there:

The categorial domain brings a new, articulated sense of the whole; it is not the case that only the precategorial is holistic. Precision and distinctness in thinking do not atomize things, but yield a much keener appreciation of the whole picture, allowing us to apprehend the forest precisely because we apprehend trees.

Sokolowski, Robert. Introduction to Phenomenology (p. 110). Cambridge University Press. Kindle Edition.

felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:19 pm

"Significant images render insights beyond speech, beyond the kinds of meaning speech defines. And if they do not speak to you, that is because you are not ready for them, and words will only serve to make you think you have understood, thus cutting you off altogether. You don’t ask what a dance means, you enjoy it. You don’t ask what the world means, you enjoy it. You don’t ask what you mean, you enjoy yourself; or at least, so you do when you are up to snuff."

Myths to Live By
Joseph Campbell

The circle of wholeness is ultimately infinite. All that we understand is embedded in that which we don't understand. We have an abilities that we can't explain. Articulate knowledge is embedded in inarticulate knowledge.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 pm

We are called to wholeness. The Self draws us toward authenticity. The authentic life is to live according to our true self. This is the life pointed to by the myth of the hero. The epitome of that myth is the story of Jesus as the Christ. The true self is Christ. As Saint Paul said "I've been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Descartes said: " if an idea is in the field of the mental vision of Reason, who can know, and if the idea is sufficiently illuminated by the light of Reason and no other idea hides or obscures the idea, then Reason will know the idea as it really is, with all its detail, and we'll be able to distinguish it from other ideas."

Now Lakoff and Johnson state that there is no literal way to translate into the mental realm the notion of "illumination by "the light of reason". Descartes' first person phenomenology is framed in the metaphoric language of a symbolic world which is unfamiliar to the modern mind. And whether my analysis will serve to uncover or further obscure Descartes point of view for you will depend on your own.

What is light and what is Reason in the traditional symbolic cosmology in which Descartes lived and moved and had his being? The fourth gospel begins with the words "in the beginning was the logos... All things were made through him and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it... The true light that enlightens every human being..." What was capital R reason to Descartes if not the logos-- the incarnate structure of reality? And it is this structure of reality that is the light by which we see the world in terms of unities or wholes. Otherwise all would be chaos. And what is this light that enlightens every human being if not consciousness, the very consciousness by which Descartes was able to see his "clear and distinct ideas" and conclude "I think therefore I am"?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 pm

The moral imperative is the demand to become what one is essentially and therefore potentially. An immoral act is one that contradicts one's self-realization as a person and therefore drives towards disintegration.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby obsrvr524 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:43 pm

felix dakat wrote:The moral imperative is the demand to become what one is essentially and therefore potentially. An immoral act is one that contradicts one's self-realization as a person and therefore drives towards disintegration.

Doesn't that imply that
  • an even higher moral imperative is to discover - with careful certainty - exactly what one is essentially?
  • And if that is true then isn't it also implied that finding out how to discover what one is essentially is an even still higher moral imperative?
  • And then also to go even higher - it seems that it is implied to being as alert as possible would be morally imperative so as to accomplish to prior imperatives?
  • Then there is the implied imperative to discover how to become more alert - how to become more aware and conscious of your situation - "raising personal consciousness".
  • And then since learning how to become more conscious of your situation requires knowing what information (and its sources) is trustworthy.
  • And that in turn requires that it be a moral imperative to learn how to ascertain trustworthiness.
All of those imply to me that becoming self-realized, although a high imperative is considerably below many others.

Which spiritual or religious organization concentrates on how to ascertain trustworthiness?

-- just rhetorical - I don't really know anything about all of these issues (not sure I want to - why should I trust what You say?). :D
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #1

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:52 am

obsrvr524 wrote:
felix dakat wrote:The moral imperative is the demand to become what one is essentially and therefore potentially. An immoral act is one that contradicts one's self-realization as a person and therefore drives towards disintegration.

Doesn't that imply that
  • an even higher moral imperative is to discover - with careful certainty - exactly what one is essentially?
  • And if that is true then isn't it also implied that finding out how to discover what one is essentially is an even still higher moral imperative?
  • And then also to go even higher - it seems that it is implied to being as alert as possible would be morally imperative so as to accomplish to prior imperatives?
  • Then there is the implied imperative to discover how to become more alert - how to become more aware and conscious of your situation - "raising personal consciousness".
  • And then since learning how to become more conscious of your situation requires knowing what information (and its sources) is trustworthy.
  • And that in turn requires that it be a moral imperative to learn how to ascertain trustworthiness.
All of those imply to me that becoming self-realized, although a high imperative is considerably below many others.

Which spiritual or religious organization concentrates on how to ascertain trustworthiness?

-- just rhetorical - I don't really know anything about all of these issues (not sure I want to - why should I trust what You say?). :D

So, to rephrase, I'm saying that the moral imperative is to become one's authentic self. That's what individuation which is the path toward wholeness, the theme of this thread, is all about. And you're saying that to find out, to be as alert as possible to, to become more aware of and be more conscious of and to learn how to ascertain the trustworthiness of the actualization of one's true self are all higher than the path of becoming itself. Rather I would see all those tasks as part of the path not higher than it. If one learns all those things and yet doesn't actualize one's authentic self all those skills and abilities have failed to achieve the moral imperative.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby obsrvr524 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:18 am

felix dakat wrote:So, to rephrase, I'm saying that the moral imperative is to become one's authentic self. That's what individuation which is the path toward wholeness, the theme of this thread, is all about. And you're saying that to find out, to be as alert as possible to, to become more aware of and be more conscious of and to learn how to ascertain the trustworthiness of the actualization of one's true self are all higher than the path of becoming itself. Rather I would see all those tasks as part of the path not higher than it. If one learns all those things and yet doesn't actualize one's authentic self all those skills and abilities have failed to achieve the moral imperative.

Perhaps I made it too complicated -
    If I don't know who or what to trust
    - how do I know that what you say is my moral imperative
    - real is?

:D

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:26 am

obsrvr524 wrote:
felix dakat wrote:So, to rephrase, I'm saying that the moral imperative is to become one's authentic self. That's what individuation which is the path toward wholeness, the theme of this thread, is all about. And you're saying that to find out, to be as alert as possible to, to become more aware of and be more conscious of and to learn how to ascertain the trustworthiness of the actualization of one's true self are all higher than the path of becoming itself. Rather I would see all those tasks as part of the path not higher than it. If one learns all those things and yet doesn't actualize one's authentic self all those skills and abilities have failed to achieve the moral imperative.

Perhaps I made it too complicated -
    If I don't know who or what to trust
    - how do I know that what you say is my moral imperative
    - real is?

:D

I'm advising you to trust your true self. If you can't do that, you're basically going to be someone else's slave. Your choice.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby obsrvr524 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:23 am

:lol:
felix dakat wrote:I'm advising you to trust your true self. If you can't do that, you're basically going to be someone else's slave. Your choice.

Last comment on this - all of that explanation I tried to relay is that a person cannot start from there - it presumes to have already accomplished the goal in order to get to the goal.

But I'll leave it at that. I don't challenge faith in people's religion or bubble of belief (unless the annoy me O:) ).

You have been observed.
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:14 am

obsrvr524 wrote::lol:
felix dakat wrote:I'm advising you to trust your true self. If you can't do that, you're basically going to be someone else's slave. Your choice.

Last comment on this - all of that explanation I tried to relay is that a person cannot start from there - it presumes to have already accomplished the goal in order to get to the goal.

But I'll leave it at that. I don't challenge faith in people's religion or bubble of belief (unless the annoy me O:) ).

I start from the experience of being in the world. Where do you start from?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 pm

The Self itself is never experienced as a totality. It is known only through the experience of its manifold aspects in perception, memories, dreams, anticipations and reflections.
felix dakat
Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality