Wholeness

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Wholeness

Postby felix dakat » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:46 pm

I've been reading Spengler's Decline of the West. What I find fascinating is his application of Goethe's morphology to the study of the historical rise of cultures and declines of civilizations. This morphology is at once archetypal and organic.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby MagsJ » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:49 pm

felix dakat wrote:Right delusions are signs of psychosis. What your experiencing sounds like depersonalization or derealization. Your ability to test reality seems to be intact. I've had episodes like that.

..it’s just part of the journey, on the road to cf-recovery. I’ve quite enjoyed the surrealness that it brought along with it.. missing that already.

Kafka's novel doesn't have a happy ending. It might not be a fun read for you right now.

I don’t read fiction anymore/in decades, so no fear of that. I prefer to read only that which I can gain knowledge and answers from.

..a shame, that the novel doesn’t appease the reader’s curiosity, in defining a definitive plot ending. Wonder why?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby felix dakat » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:21 pm

MagsJ wrote:
felix dakat wrote:Right delusions are signs of psychosis. What your experiencing sounds like depersonalization or derealization. Your ability to test reality seems to be intact. I've had episodes like that.

..it’s just part of the journey, on the road to cf-recovery. I’ve quite enjoyed the surrealness that it brought along with it.. missing that already.

Kafka's novel doesn't have a happy ending. It might not be a fun read for you right now.

I don’t read fiction anymore/in decades, so no fear of that. I prefer to read only that which I can gain knowledge and answers from.

..a shame, that the novel doesn’t appease the reader’s curiosity, in defining a definitive plot ending. Wonder why?

Kafka's reality was darker. The ending maintains the surreal quality that pervades the whole story. To me the uncanny feeling the novel evokes is what makes it remarkable. I think it would be a mistake to allegorize it, although it's tempting to try, and many attempts have been made. I rarely read nonfiction myself, but this book caught my imagination. It has that bizarro world quality of the state of consciousness between waking and sleep.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:43 pm

If it is true that the language of left-brain logic cannot adequately describe the experience of Wholeness, is talking in tongues a right-brain, intuitive attempt to do so? Or at least an attempt to prove its existence?
I read most of Kafka in the 1980s. Frustration! His heroes seldom win. But I found "The Trial" and other works to be decent metaphors for the frustrations of modern times.. Try making a phone call to a major company--press one for English, etc. etc. before getting to talk with a human customer representative. I've been on the phone for hours running this maze. Id say Kafka's writings are more realistic than surreal. Ever wake up one morning to find that you suddenly got old and could no longer do the things you used to do? ("Metamorphosis")
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:48 pm

Ierrellus wrote:If it is true that the language of left-brain logic cannot adequately describe the experience of Wholeness, is talking in tongues a right-brain, intuitive attempt to do so? Or at least an attempt to prove its existence?

Glossolalia, speaking in tongues, is related to the baptism of the Holy Spirit in the Book of Acts. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is undoubtedly a symbol of oneness or wholeness. In the story people from all nations were able to understand the tongue speakers in their own language thereby overcoming the curse of the tower of Babel. Paradoxically contemporary tongue speakers often speak no identifiable language and maybe aptly said to be babbling incoherently. In the biblical story the disciples who spoke in tongues were initially thought to be drunk a detail which may speak to their ecstatic demeanor and suggests something like divine madness of a Dionysian quality. In any case, I agree, it's not rational, left brain, Apollonian state of mind.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:48 pm

Ierrellus wrote:I read most of Kafka in the 1980s. Frustration! His heroes seldom win. But I found "The Trial" and other works to be decent metaphors for the frustrations of modern times.. Try making a phone call to a major company--press one for English, etc. etc. before getting to talk with a human customer representative. I've been on the phone for hours running this maze. Id say Kafka's writings are more realistic than surreal. Ever wake up one morning to find that you suddenly got old and could no longer do the things you used to do? ("Metamorphosis")

Yeah that's what I thought before I read it. But, remember the adjective "Kafkaesque"? He treads the uncanny boundary between the real and the surreal. "Many commentators on The Trial have observed a sense of unreality in the novel, a feeling that something is somehow “off” that hangs like a fog over Kafka’s plotline." https://daily.jstor.org/franz-kafkas-th ... -its-true/
In any case the story has a dream-like or hypnagogic quality through which the dreamer's true self is apparently revealed obliquely through strange situations and cryptic imagery.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:46 am

Jung spoke to the theological problem of evil.

I understood that the new God would be in the relative. If the God is absolute beauty and goodness, how should he encompass the fullness of life, which is beautiful and hateful, good and evil, laughable and serious, human and inhuman? How can man live in the womb of the God if the Godhead himself attends only to one-half of him?131

C. G. Jung. The Red Book: A Reader's Edition (Philemon) (Kindle Locations 3114-3117). W. W. Norton & Company. Kindle Edition.

131.The theme of the integration of evil into the Godhead played an important role in Jung’s works; see Aion (1951, CW 9, 2, ch. 5), and Answer to Job (1952, CW 11).

C. G. Jung. The Red Book: A Reader's Edition (Philemon) (Kindle Locations 4149-4152). W. W. Norton & Company. Kindle Edition.

A sense of wholeness must confront this issue in one's own psyche.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:26 am

Rudolph Steiner here interprets an image in the Book of Revelation that has confounded Christians for generations. Why? Because they reject the Cosmic Christ, clearly a symbol of Wholeness, because of its association with astrology.

This is, at the same time, the occult sign of the lamb. The lamb receives the book with the seven seals. “And between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders, I saw a lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.” (Rev. 5:6) The seven corners of the sign are called “horns.” But what do the “eyes” mean?

In occult schools the signs of the seven planets are written next to the seven eyes. The seven eyes signify nothing other than the seven planets, while the names of the planets designate the spirits incarnated in them as their intelligence. “Saturn” is the name of the soul of Saturn. The names of the planets come from the spirits of the seven planets found around the earth. These have an influence on human life. The lamb, Christ, contains all seven. Christ is the alpha and the omega; the seven planets are related to him like members to an entire body. The entwining of the lines of the sign portray in a wonderful way the interaction between the seven planets. From Saturn one rises to the Sun, from there down to the Moon, then on to Mars, Mercury, and so forth. The same thing is expressed in the names of the seven days of the week: Saturday, Saturn; Sunday, the Sun; Monday, the Moon; Tuesday, Mardi, Mars; Wednesday, Mercredi, Mercury; Thursday, Jeudi, Jupiter; Friday, Vendredi, Venus. Christ is the regent of all these world spheres; their actions constitute only part of his being; he unites them all. In Rosicrucian schools a lamb is often drawn as a sign for the intelligence of the Sun.

https://wn.rsarchive.org/Religion/ReadA ... 22p01.html

Steiner counsels:

We should allow the holy symbols given in the Apocalypse to work upon us. The sign of the Sun intelligence, for example, should not remain a mere sign for us; we should immerse ourselves in this sign until we feel it is no longer dead but flowing with life. The signs should be for us doors connecting the physical to the spiritual world. Then we have fulfilled our duty: to connect the physical and the spiritual worlds.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:06 pm

Lakoff proposes a minimalist theory of transcendence--empathetic projection:

In the Jewish mystical tradition, the Kahbalah (E, Matt 1995, 24) views God in the same way:

Do not say, "This is a stone and not God." God forbid! Rather all existence is God, and the stone is a thing pervaded by divinity.

Here is a metaphor for God in which empathic projection onto anything or anyone is contact with God.

George Lakoff. Philosophy In The Flesh (Kindle Locations 7045-7047). Kindle Edition.

According to this view omnipresence would be infinite projection of our embodied consciousness.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 pm

It will be seen how close the theology of Paul Tillich is to the psychology of C.G. Jung. Tillich's understanding of the symbolism corresponds to Jung's understanding of archetype's. In the passage below Tillich speaks of how the symbols uncover reality. This is a phenomenon of human consciousness. One can become conscious of the archetypes through the images they produce. The archetype as an inner dynamism within the psyche itself remains unconscious. To the degree that the unconscious becomes conscious levels of reality are opened up.

“And now we come to something which is perhaps the main function of the symbol--namely, the opening up of levels of reality which otherwise are hidden and cannot be grasped in any other way.
“Every symbol opens up a level of reality for which non-symbolic speaking is inadequate. Let us interpret this, or explain this, in terms of artistic symbols. The more we try to enter into the meaning of symbols, the more we become aware that it is a function of art to open up levels of reality; in poetry, in visual art, and in music, levels of reality are opened up which can be opened up in no other way.
"Now if this is the function of art, then certainly artistic creations have symbolic character. You can take that which a landscape of Rubens, for instance, mediates to you. You cannot have this experience in any other way than through this painting made by Rubens. This landscape has some heroic character; it has character of balance, of colors, of weights, of values, and so on. All this is very external. What this mediates to you cannot be expressed in any other way than through the painting itself. The same is true also in the relationship of poetry and philosophy. The temptation may often be to confuse the issue by bringing too many philosophical concepts into a poem. Now this is really the problem; one cannot do this. If one uses philosophical language or scientific language, it does not mediate the same thing which is mediated in the use of really poetic language without a mixture of any other language.
“This example may show what is meant by the phrase ‘opening up of levels of reality.’ But in order to do this, something else must be opened up---namely, levels of the soul, levels of our interior reality. And they must correspond to the levels in exterior reality which are opened up by a symbol. So every symbol is two-edged. It opens up reality and it opens up the soul. There are, of course, people who are not opened up by music or who are not opened up by poetry, or more of them (especially in Protestant America) who are not opened up at all by visual arts. The ‘opening up’ is a two-sided function--namely, reality in deeper levels and the human soul in special levels.”
Paul Tillich, "The Nature of Religious Language," in Theology of Culture, chapter 5, section 2.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:30 am

felix dakat wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:I read most of Kafka in the 1980s. Frustration! His heroes seldom win. But I found "The Trial" and other works to be decent metaphors for the frustrations of modern times.. Try making a phone call to a major company--press one for English, etc. etc. before getting to talk with a human customer representative. I've been on the phone for hours running this maze. Id say Kafka's writings are more realistic than surreal. Ever wake up one morning to find that you suddenly got old and could no longer do the things you used to do? ("Metamorphosis")

Yeah that's what I thought before I read it. But, remember the adjective "Kafkaesque"? He treads the uncanny boundary between the real and the surreal. "Many commentators on The Trial have observed a sense of unreality in the novel, a feeling that something is somehow “off” that hangs like a fog over Kafka’s plotline." https://daily.jstor.org/franz-kafkas-th ... -its-true/
In any case the story has a dream-like or hypnagogic quality through which the dreamer's true self is apparently revealed obliquely through strange situations and cryptic imagery.

Jason Reza Jorjani aptly describes Kafka as a denizen of the twilight zone by which he meant that there is is no sharp distinction between the physical world and the spiritual world in his works. But the spiritual world he portrays is at least as complex, convoluted and corrupt as the physical one. There isn't any binary opposition between the heavenly and the hellish in Kafka's writing.
Last edited by felix dakat on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:36 pm

I cannot seem to think of Kafka's world without thinking of Salvadore Dali.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Ierrellus wrote:I cannot seem to think of Kafka's world without thinking of Salvadore Dali.

"Metamorphosis" was certainly surreal. Kafka explored the world of the shadow.
Last edited by felix dakat on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Shadow Work: Spiritual Gold

Learning to embrace my whole self, including my shadows.

https://medium.com/middle-pause/shadow- ... d7b8cca094

https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com ... /29/shadow

Seeing my shadow on the street is a cue for me to pay attention to those parts of myself I don't like but that tag after me anyway.

When I find myself in the darkness, physically and emotionally, I am reminded of the healing power of the practice of shadow.

Whenever I come across people who are always demonizing their enemies, I vow to take responsibility for my actions and accept my shadow self.

Blessed is the Eternal Light who grants us so many epiphanies in the darkness.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
— Jalaluddin Rumi, translation by Coleman Barks (The Essential Rumi)
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Dan~ » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:08 pm

I am at war with that which is cancerous inside me.
I don't accept them and live happily ever after.
This is much more serious than a suppressed emotion.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Dan~ wrote:I am at war with that which is cancerous inside me.

That sounds dreadful. Are you getting help or battling "them" on your own?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:13 pm

"The purpose of birth is learning.
The purpose of learning is to grasp the Divine.
The purpose of apprehending the Divine is to maintain the endurance of one who apprehends with the joy of apprehending."

Abraham Abulafia
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:33 pm

"Any picture we have of God, any theological formulation, is really inaccurate and misleading because it doesn't do justice to the open-endedness of God.
Daniel Matt
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:43 pm

(In the Zohar) the rabbinic concept of Shekhinah, divine immanence, blossoms into the feminine half of God, balancing the patriarchal conception that dominates the Bible and the Talmud. Kabbalah retains the traditional discipline of Torah and mitzvot (commandments), but now the mitzvot have cosmic impact: "The secret of fulfilling the mitzvot is the mending of all the worlds and drawing forth the emanation from above." According to Kabbalah every human action here on earth affects the divine realm either promoting or hindering the union of Shekhinah and her partner the Holy One blessed be he. God is not static being but dynamic becoming. Without human participation, God remains incomplete unrealized. It is up to us to actualize the divine potential in the world. God needs us."

The Essential Kabbalah by Daniel Matt

According to this vision, the wholeness achieved by the union of the feminine and masculine in the psyche has ultimate significance.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Dan~ » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm

felix dakat wrote:

I'm on anti psychotic meds, which helps a lot.
I also have an army of thoughtforms which helps in a different way.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby Dan~ » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:47 pm

felix dakat wrote:
(In the Zohar) the rabbinic concept of Shekhinah, divine immanence, blossoms into the feminine half of God, balancing the patriarchal conception that dominates the Bible and the Talmud. Kabbalah retains the traditional discipline of Torah and mitzvot (commandments), but now the mitzvot have cosmic impact: "The secret of fulfilling the mitzvot is the mending of all the worlds and drawing forth the emanation from above." According to Kabbalah every human action here on earth affects the divine realm either promoting or hindering the union of Shekhinah and her partner the Holy One blessed be he. God is not static being but dynamic becoming. Without human participation, God remains incomplete unrealized. It is up to us to actualize the divine potential in the world. God needs us."

The Essential Kabbalah by Daniel Matt

According to this vision, the wholeness achieved by the union of the feminine and masculine in the psyche has ultimate significance.

God needs us.

I believe in this too.
However, I didn't know Kabbala would agree.
In my own experience, God has infinite resources, but some of us also do.
We need to operate as a family, and support each other, in each possible plane of existence.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Dan~ wrote:
felix dakat wrote:

I'm on anti psychotic meds, which helps a lot.
I also have an army of thoughtforms which helps in a different way.

I'm glad the meds and thought forms are helping. Tell me more about the thoughtforms. What are they like?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Dan~ » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:29 pm

felix dakat wrote:I'm glad the meds and thought forms are helping. Tell me more about the thoughtforms. What are they like?

There are 2 kinds.
1 is based on data and made of data.
2 is made of energy and based on energy.

Most of them are a combination of those, but have a polarity.

When inside of a mind, they can affect the mind.
The mind itself is most effective.
The thought-forms inside of it are less effective.
Both the mind and the thought-forms influence the self.
They both have a will. That will adds to the will of the self.
A total accumulation of intentions and mechanisms.

:-k

Am not sure what else to say about it right now.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Dan~ wrote:
felix dakat wrote:I'm glad the meds and thought forms are helping. Tell me more about the thoughtforms. What are they like?

There are 2 kinds.
1 is based on data and made of data.
2 is made of energy and based on energy.

Most of them are a combination of those, but have a polarity.

When inside of a mind, they can affect the mind.
The mind itself is most effective.
The thought-forms inside of it are less effective.
Both the mind and the thought-forms influence the self.
They both have a will. That will adds to the will of the self.
A total accumulation of intentions and mechanisms.

:-k

Am not sure what else to say about it right now.

By data I take you to mean characteristics or information that are collected through observation. So data are something you perceive in the external sensory world. By energy, do you mean something externally or internally perceived or both? And what's the polarity? Negative vs. positive? In what sense? Emotions? How is the mind effective and thought forms less effective? Aren't all contents of the mind thought-forms? If not, what other contents of the mind are there? So the thought-forms have autonomous wills and cumulatively they add up to the will of your ego? Am I correctly paraphrasing what you're saying?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby felix dakat » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 am

Spiritual and psychological wholeness is achieved by meditating on the qualities of each sefirah, by imitating and integrating the attributes of God.

Daniel C. Matt, The Essential Kabbalah, Introduction, page 10.
felix dakat
Janitor

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality