Question For Athiests

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Very true Arc but if this is the case then it matters not since I shall be
spending the rest of eternity in a state of pain free non consciousness
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Very true Arc but if this is the case then it matters not since I shall be
spending the rest of eternity in a state of pain free non consciousness


"You" wont be spending it, there would be no you, no spending, no eternity of nothing, 0*0 is nothing, not infinity.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:09 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Very true Arc but if this is the case then it matters not since I shall be
spending the rest of eternity in a state of pain free non consciousness


Keep doing your blind faith arguments and see where that goes.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Keep doing your blind faith arguments and see where that goes

Remember you are the one who believes in the afterlife not me
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:30 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Keep doing your blind faith arguments and see where that goes

Remember you are the one who believes in the afterlife not me


You are one that believe in eternal non-existence. Thats more absurd than any afterlife I can imagine.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:42 pm

You only want an after life because your life in the here and now is so terrible
But assuming what I think is true you will have no more suffering after you die
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:49 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
You are one that believe in eternal non existence. Thats more absurd than any afterlife I can imagine

Nowhere near. The afterlife you can imagine is way more absurd because I am not imagining mine at all
I have every intention however of dying just to see what death is actually like so I will find out you know
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Were Trixie a happy bunny she would not care about the afterlife
So go find a nice lesbian then spend the rest of your life with her
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:07 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:You only want an after life because your life in the here and now is so terrible
But assuming what I think is true you will have no more suffering after you die


Nope. My argument isn't ad emotionum. My argument is logic and reason
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Were Trixie a happy bunny she would not care about the afterlife
So go find a nice lesbian then spend the rest of your life with her


If I was a playboy bunny I'd still care about the after life because I'd have a higher IQ than all the other playboy bunnies.

That is the advantage of being human. Humans can make the serum of genius, with the serum of genius they can map the reincarnation equations. Bunny's are not aware of their cyclic existence, they have no idea they will be humans someday.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:51 pm

I do not want to be reincarnated I want to die and stay dead forever
And I say so because I do not think reincarnation is actually possible

So please find someone or something to give your life meaning before it is too late
I am old and I do not care but you are still young so go get what ever it is you need
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:34 am

surreptitious57 wrote:I do not want to be reincarnated I want to die and stay dead forever
And I say so because I do not think reincarnation is actually possible


As I suspected, your argument is ad emotionum
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:37 am

I will be dead within fifty years so it makes no difference anyway
I am not worried about it they can do whatever they want to me
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:I will be dead within fifty years so it makes no difference anyway
I am not worried about it they can do whatever they want to me


How do you know you will not be born back unto this Earth?
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Very true Arc but if this is the case then it matters not since I shall be
spending the rest of eternity in a state of pain free non consciousness



How much pain do you believe you can tolerate, percentage wise, and still care to be a conscious entity on this Earth?
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:08 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
You are one that believe in eternal non existence. Thats more absurd than any afterlife I can imagine

Nowhere near. The afterlife you can imagine is way more absurd because I am not imagining mine at all
I have every intention however of dying just to see what death is actually like so I will find out you know


"Intent" is based on will. You have no choice in the matter when it comes to dying. All you can do is try to take care of yourself in a way which might postpone your biting the dust, so to speak.

There is no way to find out anything unless consciousness survives and we cannot know if it does either way.
Even if C did survive, what kind would it be and just what would we know or intuit?
The brain would be dead and gone so......................
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
How much pain do you believe you can tolerate percentage wise and still care to be a conscious entity on this Earth

No idea but I do know that I have a low threshold for it and that I prefer not to experience it if I can avoid it instead
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby surreptitious57 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
How do you know you will not be born back unto this Earth

I do not believe in reincarnation and I do not want another life
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:41 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
How do you know you will not be born back unto this Earth

I do not believe in reincarnation and I do not want another life


Nobody wanted to be born before they were born. Yet we are born anyway
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:57 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:
How much pain do you believe you can tolerate percentage wise and still care to be a conscious entity on this Earth

No idea but I do know that I have a low threshold for it and that I prefer not to experience it if I can avoid it instead


No one enjoys pain unless he/she is a masochist so how do you know what your threshold for pain might be?
It may be higher than you think or choose it to be.

I also think that sometimes it is based on how much the "rubber band" has been stretched.
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
How do you know you will not be born back unto this Earth

I do not believe in reincarnation and I do not want another life


Nobody wanted to be born before they were born. Yet we are born anyway



I don't "see" reincarnation either but it doesn't mean either way that it is or isn't.
I would be quite happy to enjoy coming into another life. I know that it is a gamble but would we be wiser than we are now?
Would we, in actuality, retain something of who we are to give us the impetus to further our individual human evolution? Just think of all the books we can read that we never read before - unless we forgot and read them again...more enjoyment to be had and more understanding.
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15726
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Sculptor » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:07 pm

Mythoughts21 wrote:Not going to mean this in a rude manner at all so please dont take it that way.

So whether true or not religious people find comfort in death from after life. How do athiests find comfort?


i find comfort in the fact that I shall never have to spend eternity with a bunch of religious nutcases.
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Shepherdess » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:08 pm

Sculptor wrote:
Mythoughts21 wrote:Not going to mean this in a rude manner at all so please dont take it that way.

So whether true or not religious people find comfort in death from after life. How do athiests find comfort?


i find comfort in the fact that I shall never have to spend eternity with a bunch of religious nutcases.


Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that there IS NO God even though perhaps not the God by most standards. Being an agnostic, I cannot know for sure either way.
But if you were smart, you might want to prepare yourself just in case and learn how to spend time with those religious nut cases comfortably. We cannot know whether our likes or dislikes or fears influence our consciousness after death (if it does survive that is). Perhaps death is like our dreams which are influenced by and come from the material within our lives.

We die so very many times in this lifetime in having to detach from people and things - in having to let go of so much beauty, joy, happiness and awesomeness in our lives that one would think that we would get the general idea of what death is like and concentrate only on living the best way we can and be grateful in the momeny. Death is our best teacher then on how to live. Why fear something which is more or less so totally out of our contol.

Death tells us to do what John Keats said: "I will clamber through the clouds and exist." (Existing meaning truly living)
"It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure."
Joseph Campbell

"In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel nothing can befall me in life, - no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, - my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, - all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof. What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rain on their fields."
Thoreau
User avatar
Shepherdess
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Location: On a hilltop watching my flock

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Sculptor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:56 pm

Shepherdess wrote:
Sculptor wrote:
Mythoughts21 wrote:Not going to mean this in a rude manner at all so please dont take it that way.

So whether true or not religious people find comfort in death from after life. How do athiests find comfort?


i find comfort in the fact that I shall never have to spend eternity with a bunch of religious nutcases.


Being an atheist does not necessarily mean that there IS NO God even though perhaps not the God by most standards. Being an agnostic, I cannot know for sure either way.
But if you were smart, you might want to prepare yourself just in case and learn how to spend time with those religious nut cases comfortably. We cannot know whether our likes or dislikes or fears influence our consciousness after death (if it does survive that is). Perhaps death is like our dreams which are influenced by and come from the material within our lives.

No being smart is knowing that death is an end, and living your life accordingly - and not waste your life playing Pascal's Wager.

We die so very many times in this lifetime in having to detach from people and things - in having to let go of so much beauty, joy, happiness and awesomeness in our lives that one would think that we would get the general idea of what death is like and concentrate only on living the best way we can and be grateful in the momeny. Death is our best teacher then on how to live. Why fear something which is more or less so totally out of our contol.

You make my point so eloquently.

Death tells us to do what John Keats said: "I will clamber through the clouds and exist." (Existing meaning truly living)


I prefer the thoughts of Albert Camus “For who would dare to assert that eternal happiness can compensate for a single moment’s human suffering.”
Religious people, it is said, are scared of death. But more likely they are scared of life. When you know that death is final it is the greatest liberations and makes life all the more interesting, and your living of it fearless.
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Question For Athiests

Postby Shepherdess » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm

Sculptor

But if you were smart, you might want to prepare yourself just in case and learn how to spend time with those religious nut cases comfortably. We cannot know whether our likes or dislikes or fears influence our consciousness after death (if it does survive that is). Perhaps death is like our dreams which are influenced by and come from the material within our lives.

No being smart is knowing that death is an end, and living your life accordingly - and not waste your life playing Pascal's Wager.


As for the first paragraph I was more or less teasing there. I think that the word "karma" came to me. But there may be some truth within that
Well, our immediate death is an end but who can really know if it is the end to end all ends? How can we possibly know this as fact?
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio
Do you think that all agnostics stand on Pascal's Wager? Personally, I do not believe something or disbelieve it because it may be true or not. I'm skeptical.


I prefer the thoughts of Albert Camus “For who would dare to assert that eternal happiness can compensate for a single moment’s human suffering.”


But might it not depend on what that single moment's human suffering was for or about? As for eternal happiness, what is that?! Have philosophers even defined what happiness is as of yet?


Religious people, it is said, are scared of death. But more likely they are scared of life.


Can we really make such a blanket statement? I think that it would depend on the "individual" him/her-self.
Some religious people are afraid of death/to die so they are good - they want that so-called eternal life with God. Some I would say love their God purely for the sake of loving of God and neighbor.
I can agree with you though. So many are afraid of living. Perhaps they feel that they do not deserve a good life. Perhaps they need to learn, to let go and to soar.

When you know that death is final it is the greatest liberations and makes life all the more interesting, and your living of it fearless.

We cannot know that death is final but we can know that we will someday die so we "clamber through the clouds and exist".
What is that song something like "If that's all there is...." da de de de de :evilfun:
It may have more to do with our own minds and brain chemistry. The cup is either full, half full or empty or perhaps not even there for them.
"It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure."
Joseph Campbell

"In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel nothing can befall me in life, - no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground, - my head bathed by the blithe air, and uplifted into infinite space, - all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or particle of God."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof. What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rain on their fields."
Thoreau
User avatar
Shepherdess
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:24 pm
Location: On a hilltop watching my flock

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: phenomenal_graffiti

cron