MLK & MAGA

Discussion of the recent unfolding of history.

MLK & MAGA

Postby d0rkyd00d » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm

Happy belated MLK Day all!

It fascinates me to see how much the content of MLK's speeches align with the angst and frustrations of Trump supporters.

I'd be curious to know if the Trump supporters on the forum feel the same? Do the words of MLK resonate with you as deeply as I imagine they would?

Does this seem like a controversial statement / view?
"So long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men." -Voltaire

"If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do."
-Bertrand Russell
d0rkyd00d
Philosopher

Re: MLK & MAGA

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:47 pm

d0rkyd00d wrote:Happy belated MLK Day all!

It fascinates me to see how much the content of MLK's speeches align with the angst and frustrations of Trump supporters.

I'd be curious to know if the Trump supporters on the forum feel the same? Do the words of MLK resonate with you as deeply as I imagine they would?

Does this seem like a controversial statement / view?

Well need a context, of course.

No, seriously, think about it.

In regard to issues like race or the role of government or social and economic justice, imagine someone who embraces the content of King's speeches confronting someone who embraces the political agenda of those who stormed the Capitol building. What could they agree about? What would resonate between them?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Return to Current Events