dasein and thermo-nuclear war?

Discussion of the recent unfolding of history.

Re: dasein and thermo-nuclear war?

Postby origami » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:54 am

Propagandists gonna propagandate.

Last gasps of a failed campaign.

Pathetic.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:54 am

But then, dignity is not what one expects of nazis.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:19 am

Another interesting aspect of this is how with every passing month, wackos like the one that wrote that article only dig their positions in deeper and raise the stakes higher. But they are only losing money and support, and the failure to attain their objectives, which originally could have been waved off as a simple geopolitical miscalculation, will now, by their own doing, cost them any face they may have once had.

How are they going to look, having written an article calling for total war and escalation, when they have to sign a peace that otherwise would have been unremarkable and leave no clear victor? How are they going to look to their electorates when they come to them with an ambiguous peace treaty having promised total and uncompromising victory?

On the other hand, Russia neither now nor 4 years ago when more or less this conflict started have ever claimed they want anything of the sort. They just want certain border areas secure, like any country would. Any peace is going to make them look good.

How are the crazy nazis going to shift from "we are going to anahilate Russia" to "we have no money anymore and will need to take severe economic measures?"

That's what always gets me about fanatics. When it becomes clear that the grave they are digging is their own, they only digg faster.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:20 pm

Biden praised the CIA, fir reasons for trying to appease the intelligence community's alienation under Trump.

This cozying up means volumes when factoring in the current administration's distancing from 'identification politics' that are apparently suggestive of Putin's underlying motives for invading Ukraine.

"'Dream Come True' for Putin as Secessionist Threat Rattles Bosnia: Stradner" (July, Newsweek )

Without deliniating the substance behind the headkines, an allusion can be made to the Dayton Accirds, by which time over 100000 gatilities were recorded, or denote Hitler's late stage preoccupation with the Balkans, and indeed directly pointing to the plashpoint of the source of both world wars in the previous millennium
But enough said.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:24 pm

_
Bloomberg UK

Ukraine Latest: Russia Accused of Trying to Damage Grain Harvest

Ukraine accused Russia of trying to choke off the country’s grain harvest by targeting fields and depots in the country’s south.

Russian natural gas shipments to Europe via the Nord Stream pipeline to Germany stopped on Monday for planned annual maintenance, and Western allies fear President Vladimir Putin will use the opportunity to cut off flows for good. Even so, gas prices fell Monday after Canada said it would return a stranded turbine for a key Russian pipeline to Germany.

The death toll continues to mount in Ukraine after Russian rockets hit an apartment building in Donetsk, killing at least 18 civilians, as the Kremlin’s forces were grinding their way through the region. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy will soon announce a cabinet shuffle and consolidation of ministries to try to weed out waste and corruption.

Key Developments

• Gazprom Curtails Gas Flows to Italy by One Third in Further Cut

• Natural Gas Is Gaining Ground, and the US Has Plenty of It

• US to Urge India, Japan to Back Plan for Cap on Russia Oil Price

• Russia Seeks to Punish Expats Who Criticize War on Social Media

• Putin Is Set to Halt Gas and Germany Fears It’s Not Coming Back

• Canada to Return Sanctioned Nord Stream Turbine to Germany

On the Ground

Ukrainian rescue workers recovered 18 bodies from debris of the apartment block in Chasiv Yar, according to the State Emergencies Service. Russian rockets hit the five-story building near Kramatorsk in Ukraine’s eastern Donestsk region on Sunday. Ukraine sees signs of Russia preparing to renew military activity near Kramatorsk and Bakhmut as its forces continue to shell Ukrainian positions along the front line. Russian jets fired four missiles at Odesa region airspace of occupied Crimea, deputy Head of the President’s Office Kyrylo Tymoshenko said on Telegram.

Putin, Erdogan Discuss Grain Ahead of Summit: Kremlin (4:15 p.m.)

Putin and Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke by phone ahead of a summit, which may take place “soon,” the Kremlin said in an emailed statement. They discussed measures to increase trade volumes and payments in national currencies, as well as continued uninterrupted supply of Russian energy.

The leaders exchanged “opinions on situation around Ukraine, including in the context of coordinating efforts to ensure safety of shipping in the Black Sea and grain exports to global markets,” according to the Russian statement.

Ukraine Taps Danube Export Route After Russia Quits Snake Island (3:45 p.m.)

Ukraine said it can use an additional route tapping ports on the Danube River to move exports after Russian forces withdrew from Snake Island in the Black Sea, a strategic position that had helped Moscow block the country’s shipments.

Putin Extends Simplified Citizenship Process to Ukrainians (3:30 p.m.)

Putin is offering all Ukrainians a simplified process for obtaining Russian citizenship, Tass news service reports, citing the text of a decree published Monday.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:33 pm

_
• Canada to Return Sanctioned Nord Stream Turbine to Germany

What allowed Canada to sanction a German turbine, I wonder?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 am

very troublesome developments

1.P1.P1.Putin will not rest, until Ukraine is erased from the Mao.SMao.Says a deputy. The West's reaction? (by a former US general: ~ better believe them and sue for ceasefire by allowing Putin certain parts of Ukraine, which were his objectives in the first place.

2.Zelensky nixed any partitiin of Ukraine. demanding all conquared territories acquired so far.

3.A Russian higher up deputy, is threatening the US with Russian claims if parts of Alaska, invalidating it's purchase under the Tar Peter I .

4.The proposal by the Duma, to rename Putin from president to a more traditional title of 'Supreme Leader'

These are examples of escalating rhetoric , fueling the already over the top diplomatic challenges facing the world.

Oh and New York City is bringing back programs of dealing with a possible nuking of the big apple, by instructions of how to deal with a nuclear strike and it's aftermath, reminiscent to those similar, going down during the cold war years.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:36 am

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House on Monday said it believes Russia is turning to Iran to provide it with “hundreds” of unmanned aerial vehicles, including weapons-capable drones, for use in its ongoing war in Ukraine.

"U.S. National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said it was unclear whether Iran had already provided any of the unmanned systems to Russia, but said the U.S. has “information” that indicates Iran is preparing to train Russian forces to use them as soon as this month."

US News & World Report

>>>>>>

Belarus launches military drills on border with Ukraine, tests troop readiness
Belarus holds drills for reservist officers to test

>>>>>>>

"UKASHENKO
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, a major ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, warned Tuesday that Western policies are edging the world closer to "the abyss of a major war" that will have no winners."
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby origami » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:22 pm

These people are something else. They are bankrupting the world, and then they're crying that the world is going bankrupt.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:38 pm

_
Ukraine army works to recapture territory

Ukraine’s defense minister says his nation plans a "million-strong army" equipped with weapons of the western NATO military alliance to retake parts of the country now occupied by the Russian military. His comments came as Russia makes progress in taking territory in the eastern Donbas region, where dozens died over the weekend in a missile strike on an apartment block.

By S, J. B.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:40 pm

_
Caracciolo: We need to work for a truce between Russia and Ukraine

The chief editor of the Italian geopolitical magazine ‘Limes’ discusses the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, saying a truce could possibly last a long time and be a first step toward peace.

By Andrea Tornielli

A truce to stop to the fighting, a "non-war" which is far from peace, but would at least stop the bombing and the continuing loss of lives.

MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:36 pm

"Longtime Putin ally Dmitry Rogozin, Russia’s notorious space chief, could be up for a new job overseeing eastern territories in Ukraine that Russian forces are seizing in the war, according to Meduza.

Rogozin, who heads up Roscosmos, Russia’s space agency, could soon be appointed to serve as chief of staff or a presidential aide as well, Meduza reports, citing three sources close to the Kremlin and an acquaintance of Rogozin’s.

Rumors have long been circulating about Rogozin’s future in Russia, but his exact future role isn’t known at this time. Russia’s space chief, though, is known for hurling unhinged threats and comments left and right and has a habit of casually threatening nuclear war.

When last month Russia’s space agency announced testing of its Sarmat, a ballistic missile that can carry nuclear warheads, Rogozin said he had “a present for NATO.”
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:42 pm

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:51 pm

Ukraine War Must End To Avoid 'Nuclear Abyss,' Putin Ally Warns
BY BRENDAN COLE ON 7/21/22 AT 10:12 AM EDT
WORLD ALEXANDER LUKASHENKO BELARUS RUSSIA VLADIMIR PUTIN
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has warned of dire consequences should there be a prolonged war in Ukraine.

Agence France-Presse tweeted that Lukashenko told the news agency on Thursday that the conflict must end to avoid the "abyss of nuclear war."

The Kremlin has repeatedly denied it would resort to nuclear weapons but the prospect of an escalation towards the use of non-conventional arms has been a regular topic on Russian state television.

Meanwhile, this week, The Institute for the Study of War (ISW), a U.S.-based think tank, said that Russian President Vladimir Putin might use a nuclear threat to deter a Ukrainian counteroffensive against the occupied Kherson, Zaporizhzhia, Donetsk, and Luhans
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:56 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... s/10114813

Putin faces second war front as Chechens threaten new offensive in Russia
Chechen forces could force Putin to divert troops from Ukraine as he faces down civil war at home
Caitlin McFall By Caitlin McFall | Fox News

Russian President Vladimir Putin could be facing another war front, this time on his own turf, as one Chechen battalion prepares a second offensive against Moscow, a spokesman for the volunteer fighting force in Ukraine said.

Following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, volunteer Chechen forces joined the fight in support of Kyiv — fueling the flames to a long-held animus towards not only Russia, but Putin.

"We know the enemy’s positions, where Russian military bases are," Islam Belokiev, spokesman for the Sheikh Mansur Battalion, said in a video message obtained by Fox News Digital
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby origami » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:16 am

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/tor ... the-ballot

In February, in a last-minute round of shuttle diplomacy trying to avert Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, Truss stated to Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov that Britain would ‘never recognise Russian sovereignty’ over the regions of Rostov and Voronezh. She had to have it gently pointed out to her that these regions lay not in Ukraine but Russia. The Foreign Office said Truss's remarks had been taken out of context, but, whatever the truth, it handed an easy win to Lavrov and the Russian government.

'Ms Truss, your knowledge of history is nothing compared to your knowledge of geography,' said Russia’s foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova. 'If anyone needs saving from anything, it’s the world, from the stupidity and ignorance of British politicians.'
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:03 am

Even for a jest, this is in real nasty taste. but what if it isn't merely that but a hidden threat?

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine ... us-1732059
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:20 pm

_
Ukraine: Millions flee as tensions rise over nuclear power plant

Ukraine's government reports intense Russian shelling across the frontlines after both sides accused each other of attacking Europe's largest nuclear power plant. Meanwhile, Moscow has suspended a deal allowing U.S. and Russian inspectors to visit each other's nuclear weapons sites.

By S. J. B.

The world faced more nuclear insecurity on Tuesday, with Russia effectively suspending the 2010 New Start treaty. Under the deal signed over a decade ago, Russian and U.S. inspectors could visit each other's nuclear weapons sites.

Mutual inspections have been suspended as a health precaution since the start of the Covid pandemic. But Moscow now says it is unwilling to restart them, citing Western sanctions, in what critics view as a fresh blow to arms control.

Russia also helped launch a satellite for Iran, which is being accused by several countries of developing a nuclear weapons program.

The heightened tension came after Ukraine and Russia accused each other of shelling and damaging Europe's largest nuclear power plant in Ukraine's south-eastern city Zaporizhzhia.

These attacks have triggered international warnings of a potential atomic disaster. Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky lashed out at advocacy group Amnesty International, which accused Ukrainian forces of setting up bases among civilians, including hospitals and schools. "Even though the Russian shelling of the nuclear power plant is one of the most dangerous crimes against Ukrainians and all Europeans, against the right to life of every human being, for some reason, there is still no report or even a simple message from Amnesty International," he said.

"It is a very eloquent silence that, once more, indicates the manipulative selectivity of this organization." the president added.

MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 pm

Right. Under the umbrella of these structural manipulations lie bare the dynamics which move them, inexplicably hidden.
Ec touches on structural change and rightly so, but he parches it up patiently, whereas there is a need to correlate change with basic underlying areas of concern.

The basic question of dialectical materialism has boiled down to the question of the significance of it's utility or, the public appeal it still sustains in people-s mind as a necessary ingredient of public political discourse.

There are views which suggest an a-priori derivative of the dialectic, material or immaterial , as in the logarithmic stance presented as based on identity politics between eastern and western cultural positions.

That the narratives of deconstruction in those spheres obviously pre-determine the forth coming appeals that a dialectical approach instill, there really is no doubt.

The cult effect of social organization constructed upon the the routes Levi Strauss suggests, tempts one to formulate that suggestion to an idea close to suggesting a dialectical magic, with unabated belief in the mystical origin of dialectics.

The synthetic unity has a quiet nexus between this eastern abs western approach to the mystery surrounding synthetic formation.

The hermetically sealed magically inspired early social formation and cohesion, can be unassumingly tied to even pre-hellenic forms of collectivism
This being merely a presumptive effort to universalize such patterns, however, such search for systemic effects be induced to equate it with some sought after self assuring credibility.

However , these kinds of diversions may loose sight of the thesis in the formal, undescriptiveness of holding to a decompressed, denoted deconstructed deontology, whereby the formal source of the intent to devalue western civilization to cohere to the sources if early social cohesion as a source, may become dormant and forgotten.

To go back thousands of years, one may forget the excellence and superiority of early Chinese civilization.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Re: dasein and thermo-nuclear war? Closer to home

Postby Meno_ » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:36 pm

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:20 am

Putin to Start War in Moldova 'the Moment

"Russia says 'no need' to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine
Reuters

2 minute read

International military and technical forum Army 2022
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu attend the international military-technical forum Army-2022 at Patriot Congress and Exhibition Centre in the Moscow region, Russia August 15, 2022. Sputnik/Mikhail Klimentyev/Kremlin via REUTERS

MOSCOW, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Russia has "no need" to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine, its defence minister said on Tuesday, describing media speculation that Moscow might deploy nuclear or chemical weapons in the conflict as "absolute lies".

"From a military point of view, there is no need to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine to achieve the set goals. The main purpose of Russian nuclear weapons is to deter a nuclear attack," Sergei Shoigu said during a speech at an international security conference in Moscow.

"The media are spreading speculation about the alleged use of Russian tactical nuclear weapons in the course of the special military operation, or about the readiness to use chemical weapons. All these informational attacks are absolute lies."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 328429002/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ratcheting up bellicose , inverted rhetoric.
Who actually invaded another sovereign nation? Or is this the ultimately deconstructed meaning toward the way past geographically framed territorial imperative? Or are international rules oblige toward late 19 th century rules, as long as enforcement does not veer toward the point of no return ?
Meno_
The Invisible One

Re: dasein and thermo-nuclear war? Gathering storm

Postby Meno_ » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:42 pm

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:55 pm

From the NYT

'A car bomb in a Moscow suburb killed the adult daughter of a Russian ultranationalist who helped lay the ideological foundation for President Vladimir V. Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, a brazen attack that injected new uncertainty into the nearly six-month-long war.

The Russian authorities said on Sunday that they had opened a murder investigation into the death a night earlier of Daria Dugina, 29, after the Toyota Land Cruiser she was driving exploded on a highway 20 miles west of Moscow and burst into flames, scattering pieces across the road.

Ms. Dugina was the daughter of Aleksandr Dugin — a self-educated philosopher and long a leading proponent of an aggressive, imperialist Russia who has been urging the Kremlin to escalate its assault on Ukraine.'

It has been quite a while since I last contributed to this thread. And that is because it has been quite a while since an article in the media brought me back around to wondering if Putin was prepared to take the world all the way to the brink of...nuclear war?

How many months will the war continue to just drag on before Putin either declares victory in accepting "the status quo" or until he feels the need to raise the stakes much higher...with much more ominous weapon systems.

And now this taking the war to Russia itself?

What then?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:31 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/23/worl ... plant.html

'KYIV, Ukraine — In the winter darkness, tracer rounds from Russian armored vehicles streaked past nuclear reactors and high-tension electrical lines. A fire broke out. Shrapnel sprayed a reactor containment vessel.

In the control room of Reactor No. 3, operators were horrified.

“Stop firing at the nuclear facility,” one begged over the station’s loudspeakers. “You are endangering the safety of the entire world.”

The danger at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant — a sprawl of cooling towers, nuclear reactors, machine rooms and radioactive waste storage sites — was actually graver than even those who worked there knew, in early March, just days after Russian forces invaded Ukraine.

A large caliber bullet had pierced an outer wall of Reactor No. 4 but, most worrying and not disclosed at the time, an artillery shell had struck an electrical transformer at Reactor No. 6, which was filled with flammable cooling oil, plant employees subsequently learned and told The New York Times. Both reactors were active.

“By happy coincidence, it didn’t burn,” said an engineer, Oleksiy, who insisted that his last name not be publicly disclosed out of security concerns.

Five months later, with artillery fire once again striking the plant, the specter of a possible nuclear catastrophe has gripped the world’s attention. Urgent negotiations are taking place to try to arrange a visit by experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency.'

What to make of this?!

Are we talking another possible Three Mile Island? another Fukushima? another Chernobyl?

And how does it factor into the war in Ukraine itself?

How can this conflict not make us all weep for the future?

Or what's left of it?

Or, sure, it's just another media "scare story", aimed mostly at bolstering readers or viewers.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events