1 Divided By 3

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 pm

We know that:

1/1=1 and 1x1=1
1/2=.50 and .5x2=1
1/4=.25 and .25x4=1
1/5=.20 and .20x5=1
1/8=.125 and .125x8=1
1/10=.10 and .10x10=1
1/20=.05 and .05x20=1

So what about 1/3??

1/3=.333... and .333...x3=.999... NOT 1

You know why? Because 1 can't be equally divided by 3. The division never completes.

Do the long division of 1 divided by 3 and you will be on an infinite journey to complete the division equally, to which you will FAIL!

At some point you will see that you are in a repeating cycle of neverendingness, always ending up with the same remainder, to be be divided by 3, which continues endlessly, infinitely!


1.0 is 100%
.333...x3=99.999...%

100% is greater than 99%
100% is greater than 99.9%
100% is greater than 99.99%
100% is greater than 99.999%

And on and on and on. Infinitely!
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:09 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:Because 1 can't be equally divided by 3.

But your logic only applies to the base 10 number system. It doesn't apply to base three.

So 1 can be equally divided by 3, depending on what base you use?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:But your logic only applies to the base 10 number system. It doesn't apply to base three.


I am speaking of base 10, yes. That goes without saying. 100% is 100 Hundredths (1.00). 50% is 50 Hundredths (0.50). 13.625% is 13.625 Hundredths, or 13,625 Hundred Thousandths, or 0.13625.

Flannel Jesus wrote:So 1 can be equally divided by 3, depending on what base you use?


One pie is 100%, meaning 1 WHOLE pie. Dividing the pie into 3 equal pieces of 33.333...% means that the pieces only total 99.999...% of the pie, which you started with 100%.

You never completely divided the pie, otherwise the 3 pieces would total 100%. But they do NOT!
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:31 pm

I don't think it does go without saying. You said "1 can't be equally divided by 3". I don't know if you mean "it can't be divided equally by 3, only in certain bases" or "it can't be divided equally by 3, period, ever".

One pie is 100%, meaning 1 WHOLE pie. Dividing the pie into 3 equal pieces of 33.333...% means that the pieces only total 99.999...% of the pie, which you started with 100%.

You never completely divided the pie, otherwise the 3 pieces would total 100%. But they do NOT!

And you accept that if you use a different base numbering system, the 3 pieces would total 100%, right?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:35 pm

_
Following, but not currently commenting.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22881
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:I don't think it does go without saying.


Do you ask which base a person is referring to when they ask what percent of a pie they have if they half of the pie?
It goes without saying! We use base 10 unless otherwise stated. A Dime is 10% of 1 Dollar. A Quarter is 25% of 1 Dollar. A Half Dollar is 1/2 Dollar, or 50% (.50). It goes without saying!

Flannel Jesus wrote:And you accept that if you use a different base numbering system, the 3 pieces would total 100%, right?


In a different base system, how many pies is 10 pies??
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:44 pm

My comment about bases isn't about what base you're USING, it's about what bases your logic applies to.

Your logic only applies to base 10. It doesn't apply to base 3. So when you say "1 cannot be equally divided into 3", it's ambiguous if you mean "1 cannot be equally divided into 3 in base 10" or "1 cannot be equally divided into 3 ever, period".

Which one do you mean?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:My comment about bases isn't about what base you're USING, it's about what bases your logic applies to.

Your logic only applies to base 10. It doesn't apply to base 3. So when you say "1 cannot be equally divided into 3", it's ambiguous if you mean "1 cannot be equally divided into 3 in base 10" or "1 cannot be equally divided into 3 ever, period".

Which one do you mean?


Let's just stick with base 10 for now, shall we? You trying to muddy the waters to cover the problems in the base 10 system?

.1 means 1 Tenth
.01 means 1 Hundredth
.001 means 1 Thousandth

and so on

1.00 is 100 Hundredths
10.00 is 1,000 Hundredths
100.00 is 10,000 Hundredths

100% is 100 Hundredths, or 1.00
10% is 10 Hundredths, or 0.10
1% is 1 Hundredths, or 0.01

1 Pie is 100 Hundredths of a pie, or 100%, or 1.0

3 equal pieces of .333... only totals .999..., or 99.999... Hundredths, not 100 Hundredths that you started with!
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby pood » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:03 pm

So what?
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:04 pm

pood wrote:So what?


So you can't divide a pie into 3 equal pieces. That's what!
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:05 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:Let's just stick with base 10 for now, shall we? You trying to muddy the waters to cover the problems in the base 10 system?

I'm actually trying to clear the waters up. I'm trying to ascertain the nature of your claim.

Are you making a claim about the base 10 number system, or are you making a claim about reality?

Is it impossible to divide by 3 in base 10, or is it impossible to divide by 3 in reality?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby pood » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:10 pm

Nice avatar, Motor Daddy! :D =D>
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:14 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:I'm actually trying to clear the waters up. I'm trying to ascertain the nature of your claim.

Are you making a claim about the base 10 number system, or are you making a claim about reality?

Is it impossible to divide by 3 in base 10, or is it impossible to divide by 3 in reality?


I'm making the claim that in base 10:

300 Apples / 3 people = 100 apples per person and 100 x 3 = 300
30 Apples /3 people = 10 apples per person and 10 x 3 = 30
3 apples /3 people = 1 apple per person and 1 x 3 = 3

All good so far...

1 apple /3 people = .333... apples per person and .333... x 3 = .999...

and that is a big FAIL!
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:15 pm

pood wrote:Nice avatar, Motor Daddy! :D =D>


Thanks! ;)
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm making the claim that in base 10:


Oh, okay. It's when you make comments like

So you can't divide a pie into 3 equal pieces. That's what!


That makes me think you're making a claim about something more than the base 10 number system. That certainly sounds like you're talking about reality, and not the base 10 number system. Since the existence of pies isn't predicated on base 10.
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:20 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:That makes me think you're making a claim about something more than the base 10 number system. That certainly sounds like you're talking about reality, and not the base 10 number system. Since the existence of pies isn't predicated on base 10.


In reality you can not divide 1 pie into 3 equal pieces.

1 pie is 100%, a whole pie. That is reality, that as we count, 1 pie is 1 whole pie, not 2 pies, or 7 pies, it is ONE WHOLE PIE!

We count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13...

Are you saying you are confused on how we count pies?
Last edited by Motor Daddy on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm saying I'm confused about your point about dividing a pie into 3 pieces.

Do you think you can divide a pie into 4 equal pieces?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:24 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:I'm saying I'm confused about your point about dividing a pie into 3 pieces.

Do you think you can divide a pie into 4 equal pieces?


See post 1.

1 pie divided into 4 equal pieces is 1/4=.25.

That is 4 EQUAL pieces of .25, and 4 x .25 = 1.0, or 100%.

So yes, you can divide a pie into 4 equal pieces, and the pieces total 100%

No on the 3! See?
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Right, I'm glad I got this cleared up lmao.

So it seems like your idea about the impossibilty, in reality, of dividing a pie into 3 pieces is entirely based on the accident that you were born into a world where you were taught numbers using a base-10 system. If you were born into a world where you were taught numbers using a base-9 system, dividing pies into 3 would seem completely normal to you, but dividing them into 4 would be impossible.

I don't think fundamental claims about reality should be based on the accident of what number-base counting system you use.
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:Right, I'm glad I got this cleared up lmao.

So it seems like your idea about the impossibilty, in reality, of dividing a pie into 3 pieces is entirely based on the accident that you were born into a world where you were taught numbers using a base-10 system. If you were born into a world where you were taught numbers using a base-9 system, dividing pies into 3 would seem completely normal to you, but dividing them into 4 would be impossible.

I don't think fundamental claims about reality should be based on the accident of what number-base counting system you use.


In any base system, 1 pie is the same. You can not claim that 1 pie would be different in a different base system. I am speaking about a pie, on the table. 1 pie, not 2 pies. Just one single lonely pie, on the table, waiting to be cut so that 3 people get the same pie. In our base 10 system that we use on a daily basis for money, and scientific data, 100% means A WHOLE! 1.0 Whole pie. We both know how many 3 people is, right?

So here's what we have so far:

1 Pie
3 People
Everyone wants the same amount of pie. No cheating, and no feeding some to the dog!

With me so far?
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:55 pm

Your argument is about how the value is represented in decimal form.

In base 10, 1/3 is represented as an infinite decimal, 0.3333..., so you can't divide a pie into 3 pieces, right?

In base 10, 1/4 is represented as a finite decimal, 0.25, so you can divide a pie into 4 pieces, right?

But in base 9, those facts are reversed. In base 9, 1/3 is a finite decimal and 1/4 is an infinite decimal.

With me so far?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:Your argument is about how the value is represented in decimal form.

In base 10, 1/3 is represented as an infinite decimal, 0.3333..., so you can't divide a pie into 3 pieces, right?

In base 10, 1/4 is represented as a finite decimal, 0.25, so you can divide a pie into 4 pieces, right?

But in base 9, those facts are reversed. In base 9, 1/3 is a finite decimal and 1/4 is an infinite decimal.

With me so far?


You keep getting your bases confused.

We are talking about base 10. If you want to talk about base 9 or 7 or 3 then you should start a new thread on how to represent how much pie the 3 people have in that system.

For now, in the base 10 system, if you cut a pie into 10 equal pieces, for 10 people, everyone gets 10% of the pie. 10% x 10 people means 100% of the pie is divided equally among 10 people.

In base 10, 1 dollar is 100 Pennies.

So if I had a pile of 100 Pennies, to be divided equally among 3 people, the best you could do is 33.333... pennies per person.

But we both know that 33.333... x 3 doesn't equal 100 pennies, it equals 99.999... pennies.

So to recap:

1. Base 10 speak here.
2. 1 pie can't be divided equally into 3 pieces.
3. A pile of 100 Pennies can't be equally divided into 3 equal piles!
4. 100% > 99.999...%
5. 1 > .999...
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Flannel Jesus » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:27 pm

I think I proved my point. Good luck with your thing man.
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:30 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:I think I proved my point. Good luck with your thing man.


I know I proved mine!

Good luck with the weird looks you get at the grocery store when the cashier says the total is $37.95, and you reply, is that base 10 or 9?

Deer in the headlights comes to mind. ;)
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Thinker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: 1 Divided By 3

Postby pood » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Motor Daddy,

You do realize that Base 10 is a convention, right? There is nothing privileged or sacrosanct about it. As Flannel Jesus noted, if we used Base 9 we could divide (describe) 3 perfectly equal pieces of pie with no problem.

Arithmetic and maths are not reality. They are descriptions of reality. Some will give you better descriptions than others.

When I was a kid I was taught that we use Base 10 because we have ten fingers and our 10 fingers are how we used to count. When we ran out of fingers we had to do something else.

I don’t know if that’s true or not but it makes sense.

It’s kind of like how the five-pointed, upright star is such a universal symbol, used on a great many national flags for example. I suspect it’s because the five-pointed, upright star is an abstract representation of a human: head, two arms, two legs. But apart from that there’s nothing special about it.

Please think about: do you really want to say that in reality, we can’t divide a pie into three equal parts, just because that devision can’t be precisely described by the arbitrary convention of Base 10 (even though it can be by Base 9)?
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Next

Return to Science, Technology, and Math



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users