"0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consistent

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby obsrvr524 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:51 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Space is something irremovable from objects & vice versa.

I still can't rumble what that means.

Ichthus77 wrote:Light is energy & determines time, so for it time stops, no? Then, too, motion.

I don't think so. Motion within a photon would stop (as if there ever was any) - the photon doesn't stop its motion through space. Motion is relative to the observer.

Ichthus77 wrote:Is it not spacetime that moves relative to light? Is the speed of light not actually the speed of spacetime?

So it is the house that lives in the carpenter who built it? :-?

Ichthus77 wrote: because we aren’t just energy.

I'm pretty sure we are.

Motor Daddy wrote:Energy is not a substance

I'm pretty sure it is.

Motor Daddy wrote:Man-Hours don't explode or heat stuff either.

Except your butt and budget.

How we arrive at how much of something is present has nothing to do with what that something is. Calculations tell of HOW MUCH there is - not of WHAT is. "A*B" tells us how much or how long - nothing to do with the make.
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just the same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:32 pm

“I still can't rumble what that means.” - obs

There is no “nothing” physically — even vacuum energy is energetic. The “space between” — between particles, atoms, elements, molecules, neurons, planets, stars, galaxies, clusters … isn’t nothing.

Ichthus77 wrote:Light is energy & determines time, so for it time stops, no? Then, too, motion.

”I don't think so. Motion within a photon would stop (as if there ever was any) - the photon doesn't stop its motion through space. Motion is relative to the observer.” - obs

So. A photon is like a black hole in reverse?

Ichthus77 wrote:Is it not spacetime that moves relative to light? Is the speed of light not actually the speed of spacetime?

”So it is the house that lives in the carpenter who built it? :-? “ - obs

yussssss. In him we live & move & have our being.

“I'm pretty sure we are.” - obs

ok… but as mass divided by the square root of the speed of light, or what? i no do math.

“I'm pretty sure it is.” - obs

same… matter is crystallized energy
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:33 am

Ichthus77 wrote:

“I still can't rumble what that means.” - obs

There is no “nothing” physically — even vacuum energy is energetic. The “space between” — between particles, atoms, elements, molecules, neurons, planets, stars, galaxies, clusters … isn’t nothing.

I understand that - but still don't understand "irremovable from space".

Ichthus77 wrote:So. A photon is like a black hole in reverse?

Certainly not - but I have no idea what you believe a black hole is. From what I have observed - a photon was best described as a "puff of" radiant energy (James referred to as affectance - a puff of ability to have affect - the make of all physicality).

Ichthus77 wrote:

”So it is the house that lives in the carpenter who built it? :-? “ - obs

yussssss. In him we live & move & have our being.

Again - no idea - but I'll leave it alone. :D

Ichthus77 wrote:

“I'm pretty sure we are.” - obs

ok… but as mass divided by the square root of the speed of light, or what? i no do math.

Energy is the ability to do stuff. We are made of stuff being done and undone - and nothing else - our own festering boil in our corner of the universe.

Ichthus77 wrote:

“I'm pretty sure it is.” - obs

same… matter is crystallized energy

I think more of a very very very busy clumped up traffic jam taking in energy at the same rate as releasing energy (just like cars entering and leaving a static traffic jam - great analogy).

You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:51 am

I feel weird reading the affect stuff. Let’s focus on space.

If you have Brian Greene’s “Fabric,” check out page 75ish, and note 23 on page 499, and all the pages listed for space & spacetime in the index, and the whole book.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:53 am

Ichthus77 wrote:I feel weird reading the affect stuff. Let’s focus on space.

If you have Brian Greene’s “Fabric,” check out page 75ish, and note 23 on page 499, and all the pages listed for space & spacetime in the index, and the whole book.

Skeptical of anything touting "fabric of the cosmos". And gauging merely from the Wikipedia article on the book - I get the feeling that it is perhaps a sci-fi fascination book or perhaps Mr Greene just doesn't understand how any of it fits together either (and "dark energy" is not "repulsive gravity").

So if you want to discuss his theories - you will have to spell out what part of whatever he says is of interest. With very few exceptions, James' ontology makes perfect sense to me - beyond that I am no physicist.
              You have been observed.

obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 am

Well in a nutshell the particular pages I referred you to mentioned Einstein’s position that spacetime is something, not nothing.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:13 am

Ichthus77 wrote:Well in a nutshell the particular pages I referred you to mentioned Einstein’s position that spacetime is something, not nothing.

I have never really understood Einstein's "gravity well" concept although I can easily visualize the image. I never understood what is supposed to be drawing particles into the well. If it was like a whirlpool in the ocean - I could understand gravity pulling something down - but if you are talking about the very nature of what is doing the pulling - how is a whirlpool or well analogy suppose to apply migratory force on anything to pull it "down"?

As far as I know Einstein accepted that space actually - literally - bends in the presence of strong gravity. I consider that merely an ontological choice of language. I think most physicists don't understand the concept "ontology" so they think every idea is either right or wrong (ignoring nuances in language intentions).

When it comes to James' "affects upon affects - affectance" - I learned to just think - "Energy" (perhaps not 100% the same concept - but close enough).
              You have been observed.

obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:30 am

What is James’ education? Why does he seem to be credible to you?

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:58 am

-
I wouldn't want to mention anything James wouldn't tell you himself but I think he publicly boasted degrees in engineering and psychology. Online he spoke mostly metaphysics then physics, then religion, psychology, maths, sociology/government. But don't think I believe anything merely because he said it. Many times I was silently very skeptical -- until he explained (and I took the time to scrutinize) his reasoning - very different. I just kept getting more and more impressed because of the number of things that I had never thought about - and wouldn't have - that he explained much clearer than anything I heard from anyone else. Did you ever wonder why light travels at that particular speed instead of another? What the word "god" actually means - or "man"? I could tell that he and I think very much alike - a few differences. I never heard of an "ontology" - that took a bit to soak in - and many other things - years in the making.
              You have been observed.

obsrvr524
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Science, Technology, and Math