Great speaker

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Great speaker

Postby von Rivers » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:59 am

von Rivers
ILP Legend

Re: Great speaker

Postby iambiguous » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Of course, from my frame of mind, Harris's assessment above reflects two levels of understanding.

The first revolves around those things he says that can be established as in fact true objectively. Trump did say or do this, the rioters did say or do that.

The second revolves around that which can be established as in fact true objectively given all of the conflicting liberal/conservative, left/right political reactions to the event.

And then this part:

From peacegirl's determinism thread:

Yet not all scholars who argue publicly against free will are blind to the social and psychological consequences. Some simply don’t agree that these consequences might include the collapse of civilization. One of the most prominent is the neuroscientist and writer Sam Harris, who, in his 2012 book, Free Will, set out to bring down the fantasy of conscious choice. Like Smilansky, he believes that there is no such thing as free will. But Harris thinks we are better off without the whole notion of it.

iambiguous wrote:All I can say to this is, "here we go again".

Harris sets about to bring down "the fantasy of conscious choice" as though what he himself consciously thinks about it is not in turn an inherent manifestation of the fantasy as well. How can we be better off regarding the whole notion of anything at all if our thoughts and feelings of being better off were/are only as they were/are/will be anyway?

I'm trying to imagine Harris's reaction to this? A reaction that is not inherently/necessarily the embodiment of the only possible reality. The mystery then still being the existence of self-conscious matter itself. In a No God world.

So, how are the points he notes in the video not but one more inherent/necessary manifestation of "the fantasy of conscious choice"?

How were not both Trump and the rioters merely acting out whatever set into motion the laws of matter going all the way back to, well, what and when and where and how and why?

What is it about Harris's argument regarding free will and determinism here that I keep missing?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Yo, Mo!

Let's dig a little deeper.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:06 am

"How were not both Trump and the rioters merely acting out whatever set into motion the laws of matter going all the way back to, well, what and when and where and how and why?

What is it about Harris's argument regarding free will and determinism here that I keep missing?"

For harris, trump is an idiot because of bad luck, not because of anything he's chosen to do or be, because there is no freewill. What part about Harris's position is confusing you?
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:44 am

"How were not both Trump and the rioters merely acting out whatever set into motion the laws of matter going all the way back to, well, what and when and where and how and why?

What is it about Harris's argument regarding free will and determinism here that I keep missing?"

promethean75 wrote: For harris, trump is an idiot because of bad luck, not because of anything he's chosen to do or be, because there is no freewill. What part about Harris's position is confusing you?

Here, however, everything would seem to come down to what you think that free will and determinism consist of for all practical purposes. Assuming, however, that what you think here is not the only thing that you were ever able to think.

After all, suppose what you think, feel, say and do while awake is just a configuration of what you think, feel, say and do in your dreams. Derived entirely from chemical and neurological interactions derived entirely from a brain that is wholly in sync with laws of matter.

Your brain, my brain, Harris's brain, Trump's brain.

If, for Harris, Trump could never have been thought to be anything other than an idiot, then both luck and the choices he made are in turn just inherent/necessary manifestations of the only possible reality.

Just as I was never able to not type these words that you were never able to not read.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Return to Society, Government, and Economics