the failure of your president

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: the failure of your president

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:59 am

Peter Kropotkin wrote:Magsj:
"I’m quite content with my political and spiritual choices and leanings, so your concern about your choices aren’t mine, and so I have no need to question myself in those regards."

K: spoken like a true sleepwalker of the modern world....
waking up is a bitch however...I challenge myself every single day
and I challenge the current ism's and myths and biases and beliefs
every single day...and why? because I consider this the true role
of what it means to be a philosopher.... not to accept on faith,
any belief or ism without examination............

Who said I haven’t examined my belief systems? I’ve been doing so since a kid, so been woke since young.. you’re the one lagging Peter, not I.

I don’t like the politics of the Left or Liberals, and all they’ve ever done here, is cause the taxpayer, students etc. more money, and allowed 1000s of army veterans to go homeless on the streets of London whilst housing a few million illegal refugees in their stead.

I am glad you are so content with yourself and your place in the world....

but you aren't much of a philosopher by doing so.....

Now where have I heard that before :-k Oh yea, whenever a person wants to win their argument the easy way, is when.

I’d try not to use that route, if I were you.. it doesn’t work and is merely a cop-out, in place of evolving a discourse further.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 am

There’s so many lies and disinformation.. coming from both sides of your election camps, that it’s near impossible to tell what the current US government has actually done or achieved, and that smokescreen isn’t very helpful when a country is trying to make new trade deals and so forth.

It is not uncommon for the Leftist UK shadow government to cause similar disruption to the current sitting Rightist government, but as of recent months ago, that political smokescreen has been clamped down on and disallowed.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 pm

MagsJ wrote:There’s so many lies and disinformation.. coming from both sides of your election camps, that it’s near impossible to tell what the current US government has actually done or achieved, and that smokescreen isn’t very helpful when a country is trying to make new trade deals and so forth.

It is not uncommon for the Leftist UK shadow government to cause similar disruption to the current sitting Rightist government, but as of recent months ago, that political smokescreen has been clamped down on and disallowed.

K: in other words, the opposition has been silenced.... very democratic of you....

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Fixed Cross, as well as other people, have made posts listing numerous successes by Trump to improve the lives of the American people. Trump lowered taxes of the middle class. Got us out of one-sided trade deals. Strengthened our borders. Cut job and progress killing regulations. Got us out of numerous agreements in which the USA was the only country paying their fair share. Got us out of defense pacts that did not defend American interests. Refunded our military. Enabled legislation to keep petty criminals out of long prison sentences. He's defended the first amendment and the second amendment in speech and actions. He's actually done more for the country he loves and kept more campaign promises than any other president, ever. He's made more improvements to our nation, I've only listed a few.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:08 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Fixed Cross, as well as other people, have made posts listing numerous successes by Trump to improve the lives of the American people. Trump lowered taxes of the middle class. Got us out of one-sided trade deals. Strengthened our borders. Cut job and progress killing regulations. Got us out of numerous agreements in which the USA was the only country paying their fair share. Got us out of defense pacts that did not defend American interests. Refunded our military. Enabled legislation to keep petty criminals out of long prison sentences. He's defended the first amendment and the second amendment in speech and actions. He's actually done more for the country he loves and kept more campaign promises than any other president, ever. He's made more improvements to our nation, but I can't remember all of them.

K: well, at least somebody defended him.... the problem is most of it is bogus...

show me the trades that were so bad for the country and alleged regulations that killed jobs

see the problem with your list is, it takes much on faith...like the alleged cutting
taxes... we are middle class and our federal taxes rose quite a bit with the exact same
income...my wife works for a CPA and most of the people she works with also had
their taxes go up... but there are a few very wealthy types and their taxes went down...
the tax cut didn't benefit the middle or the working poor class, but they sure did
benefit the wealthy and the uber wealthy...but your list avoids the real problems....

the Trump Depression and the Trump pandemic... over 40 million Americans
lost their jobs in less then 6 months... that is the greatest job loss in American
history.. the second quarter was the worse performing quarter in American history...
now one might claim the Stock market, but clearly given the massive economic
losses and the market still hasn't dropped as far as it should of, tell me that the
Market has no connection to reality anymore...

and the Trump pandemic, over 168,000 dead Americans in 6 months because
of a complete failure to take this pandemic seriously...If IQ45 had taken
the pandemic seriously, right from the start, it would have saved over
100,000 lives...of course in the conservative mind, a good democrat is
a dead democrat so the right has no problem killing tens of thousands of
liberals in NY or Cal nor does the right care about the overwhelming
number of deaths in the communities with blacks or other minorities...
and given the rush to kill our children, they have more blood on their hands....

your list is a wishful thinking list that denies the reality of the current
situation....but then the right has always had a problem seeing reality...

Kropotkin
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Thank you for the clarification Wendy.. that’s a very impressive list, but yet his opposition’s supporters here keep on denying all those achievements, of better legislation, trade deals, borders, and more.. which is why I asked the question yet again, because the denial is so great, that I had to try and gauge how deep the lieing goes.. which is very deep, it seems.

K: in other words, the opposition has been silenced.... very democratic of you....

Hi Peter.. no, the opposition has been prohibited from spreading lies and misinformation, as that is not the job that a shadow cabinet is there to do.. everything else, but that, is very much allowed and certainly not being silenced.

So you are advocating lies about, and disruption of, the job of a current sitting government? or so it would seem..

MagsJ

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:34 pm

MagsJ wrote:Thank you for the clarification Wendy.. that’s a very impressive list, but yet his opposition’s supporters here keep on denying all those achievements, of better legislation, trade deals, borders, and more.. which is why I asked the question yet again, because the denial is so great, that I had to try and gauge how deep the lieing goes.. which is very deep, it seems.

K: the problem with the "list" is that it is not true...most of the stuff claimed to
be a success actually isn't.. it was detrimental to the U.S doing those things...
the trade agreements for example, they were actually very helpful to
Americans, not job killers...there wasn't any better legislation nor trade deals
or anything of the like...smoke and mirrors.... nothing more...

Hi Peter.. no, the opposition has been prohibited from spreading lies and misinformation, as that is not the job that a shadow cabinet is there to do.. everything else, but that, is very much allowed and certainly not being silenced.

K: and who decides what is lies and what is misinformation? why the government of course....
that is by definition, censorship....... your Orwellian attempt to misinform us is cute...

So you are advocating lies about, and disruption of, the job of a current sitting government? or so it would seem..

K: I see censorship and attempts to silence the opposition....from your own words....

Kropotkin
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:56 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Thank you for the clarification Wendy.. that’s a very impressive list, but yet his opposition’s supporters here keep on denying all those achievements, of better legislation, trade deals, borders, and more.. which is why I asked the question yet again, because the denial is so great, that I had to try and gauge how deep the lieing goes.. which is very deep, it seems.
K: the problem with the "list" is that it is not true...most of the stuff claimed to
be a success actually isn't.. it was detrimental to the U.S doing those things...
the trade agreements for example, they were actually very helpful to
Americans, not job killers...there wasn't any better legislation nor trade deals
or anything of the like...smoke and mirrors.... nothing more...

So now I’m back at square one, in my state of not knowingness..

MagsJ wrote:K: in other words, the opposition has been silenced.... very democratic of you....

K: and who decides what is lies and what is misinformation? why the government of course....
that is by definition, censorship....... your Orwellian attempt to misinform us is cute...

Because our legislation is much more transparent than yours, what is lies and misinformation and what is not, is evident to all.

MagsJ wrote:So you are advocating lies about, and disruption of, the job of a current sitting government? or so it would seem..
K: I see censorship and attempts to silence the opposition....from your own words....

So that would be a Yes then? :D

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:47 pm

K: there have been surveys of historians that have stated that
already IQ45 is the single worst president in American history...
and these historians are both Republicans and democrats.....

Apparently the Republicans aren’t happy with Trump, because he is not Republican enough for their liking.. Trump had been a Democrat prior to his Presidency, and the Republican Party were very unhappy about his election, in that he would not fulfil the whole Republican agenda for the Party, so yes.. both the Left and the Right leaning historians say he’s the single worst president in American history, but not for the reasons you have presumed or eluded to. Knowledge is power.. as they say.

MagsJ

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Trump fails to be the genocidal maniac his predecessors were.

Oh no!!
:lol:
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
valueontologyforsuperIQs - sumofalltemples - The Magical Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby fuse » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:50 am

Trump won the 2016 election with direct help from Russian intelligence operatives.
A bipartisan Senate counterintelligence report was released on Tuesday.

Select Committee on Intelligence, United States Senate
Report: Russian Active Measures Campaigns and Interference in the 2016 U.S. Election

Paul Manafort was in secret communication with a Russian intelligence officer possibly assisting Moscow's operation while it was underway. Manafort provided (and then covered up) internal Trump strategy/polling, hugely valuable to Moscow's targeting.
collusion[1].jpg
collusion[1].jpg (126.64 KiB) Viewed 269 times

The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence confirmed what the Mueller report could not wrote:Manafort and Kilimnik talked almost daily during the campaign. They communicated through encrypted technologies set to automatically erase their correspondence; they spoke using code words and shared access to an email account.

It’s worth pausing on these facts: The chairman of the Trump campaign was in daily contact with a Russian agent, constantly sharing confidential information with him. That alone makes for one of the worst scandals in American political history.

The significant revelation of the document is that Kilimnik was likely a participant in the Kremlin scheme to hack and leak Clinton campaign emails. Furthermore, Kilimnik kept in close contact with the Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, a former client of Manafort’s.

Deripaska was connected to Kremlin hacking efforts. This fact is especially suggestive: Deripaska had accused Manafort of stealing money from him, and Manafort hoped to repair his relationship with the oligarch.

Trump campaign’s Russia contacts ‘grave’ threat, Senate says wrote:Manafort shared internal Trump campaign polling data with Kilimnik..."some evidence" Kilimnik connected to Kremlin operation to hack and leak Democratic emails..."two pieces of information" raise the possibility of Manafort's connection to those operations...

The Senate report...also asserts that the allegations that Ukraine interfered in the election — which President Donald Trump perpetuated — originated with Russian intelligence agencies.

Russian-government proxies and personas worked to spread the false narrative that Ukraine interfered in the U.S. election.

Bipartisan Senate report: 2016 Trump campaign eager to accept help from foreign power wrote:The report highlights...three allegations of potentially compromising material relating to Trump’s private trips to Russia that were unconnected to the [Steele] dossier

‘Separate from Steele’s memos, which the Committee did not use for support, the Committee became aware of three general sets of allegations,’ involving women, the report says, two of which described a tape.

Russia and other countries took advantage of the [Trump] Transition Team’s inexperience, transparent opposition to Obama Administration policies, and Trump’s desire to deepen ties with Russia, to pursue unofficial channels through which Russia could conduct diplomacy

The lack of vetting of foreign interactions by Transition officials left the Transition open to influence and manipulation by foreign intelligence services, government leaders, and co-opted business executives.

Russian officials, intelligence services, and others acting on the Kremlin’s behalf were capable of exploiting the Transition’s shortcomings for Russia’s advantage. Based on available information it is possible — and even likely — that they did so.

Trump associates indicted/convicted of crimes, and additional ongiong investigations.

Bannon indicted yesterday for a $25 million dollar fraudulent crowdfunding operation "We Build the Wall".

trump_assocs_charged[1].jpg
trump_assocs_charged[1].jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 269 times

trump_ongoing_investigations[2].jpg
trump_ongoing_investigations[2].jpg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Putin continues to consolidate power and Russian geopolitical dominance, as has been the plan for decades.

Aleksandr Dugin, The Geopolitical Future of Russia, paraphase wrote:The book states that "the maximum task [of the future] is the 'Finlandization' of all of Europe".[9]

In Europe:

* Germany should be offered the de facto political dominance over most Protestant and Catholic states located within Central and Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad oblast could be given back to Germany. The book uses the term "Moscow–Berlin axis".[9]
* France should be encouraged to form a bloc with Germany, as they both have a "firm anti-Atlanticist tradition".[9]
* The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.[9]
* Finland should be absorbed into Russia. Southern Finland will be combined with the Republic of Karelia and northern Finland will be "donated to Murmansk Oblast".[9]
* Estonia should be given to Germany's sphere of influence.[9]
* Latvia and Lithuania should be given a "special status" in the Eurasian–Russian sphere.[9]
* Poland should be granted a "special status" in the Eurasian sphere.[9]
* Romania, North Macedonia, Serbia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece – "Orthodox collectivist East" – will unite with "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".[9]
* Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.[9]

The Geopolitical Future of Russia wrote:In the Middle East and Central Asia:

* The book stresses the "continental Russian–Islamic alliance" which lies "at the foundation of anti-Atlanticist strategy". The alliance is based on the "traditional character of Russian and Islamic civilization".
* Iran is a key ally. The book uses the term "Moscow–Tehran axis".[9]
* Armenia has a special role: It will serve as a "strategic base," and it is necessary to create "the [subsidiary] axis Moscow-Yerevan-Teheran". Armenians "are an Aryan people ... [like] the Iranians and the Kurds".[9]
* Azerbaijan could be "split up" or given to Iran.[9]
* Georgia should be dismembered. Abkhazia and "United Ossetia" (which includes Georgia's South Ossetia) will be incorporated into Russia. Georgia's independent policies are unacceptable.[9]
* Russia needs to create "geopolitical shocks" within Turkey. These can be achieved by employing Kurds, Armenians and other minorities.[9]
* The book regards the Caucasus as a Russian territory, including "the eastern and northern shores of the Caspian (the territories of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan)" and Central Asia (mentioning Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan).[9]

The Geopolitical Future of Russia wrote:In East and Southeast Asia:

* China, which represents a danger to Russia, "must, to the maximum degree possible, be dismantled". Dugin suggests that Russia start by taking Tibet–Xinjiang–Mongolia–Manchuria as a security belt.[1] Russia should offer China help "in a southern direction – Indochina (except Vietnam), the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia" as geopolitical compensation.[9]
* Russia should manipulate Japanese politics by offering the Kuril Islands to Japan and provoking anti-Americanism.[9]
* Mongolia should be absorbed into Eurasia-Russia.[9]

The Geopolitical Future of Russia wrote:The book emphasizes that Russia must spread anti-Americanism everywhere: "the main 'scapegoat' will be precisely the U.S."

In the United States:

* Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics".[9]

Germany airlifts poisoned Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny for treatment.
The U.S. government makes no statements, while the most important Russian critic and political rival to Putin is comatose from poisoned tea.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 am

More excerpts from the U.S. Senate counterintelligence investigation.

Konstantine Kilimnik is a Russian intelligence officer
kilimnik_ru_intelligence[1].png
kilimnik_ru_intelligence[1].png (80.49 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Evidence Kilimnik may have had a role in the GRU's hack and leak operation is redacted
Kilimnik_hack&dump[1].png
Kilimnik_hack&dump[1].png (25.41 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Evidence Manafort was involved in the hack-and-leak operations against the Democrats.
But the report cites two redacted pieces of information that "raise the possibility of Manafort's potential connection"
manafort_hack&dump[1].png
manafort_hack&dump[1].png (56.04 KiB) Viewed 269 times
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:59 am

Manafort, Gates, and Kilimnik used code words, maintained furtive communications, covered-up and erased communications when possible
foldering[1].png
foldering[1].png (147.33 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Manafort shared internal campaign polling data with Kilimnik
polling_data[1].png
polling_data[1].png (178.54 KiB) Viewed 269 times

It's unclear the specificity of the polling Manafort shared with Kilimnik, according to the Senate. But if it included a state-by-state breakdown, then Moscow was quite aware of where Clinton was most vulnerable. This can have then easily informed IRA social media targeting.
internal_polling_data[1].png
internal_polling_data[1].png (58.79 KiB) Viewed 269 times
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:06 am

Manafort connected to indicted Ukrainian oligarch Dmytro Firtash.
Firtash's "translators" were Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman,
the two indicted campaign finance fraudsters who worked with Rudy Giuliani, working for Trump
firtash_parnas_fruman[1].jpg
firtash_parnas_fruman[1].jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 269 times

More campaign connections to Russian intelligence
ru_govt_connections[1].png
ru_govt_connections[1].png (93.91 KiB) Viewed 269 times
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:46 pm

“Trump’s Taxes Show Chronic Losses and Years of Income Tax Avoidance”
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... taxes.html

One week ago, the New York Times published a massive story with specific details of the last two decades of Trump’s federal tax returns. NYT are purportedly in possession of Trump’s tax returns. The article(s) include many specific numbers and details which are important for this discussion.

Possibilities:

1. Trump is cheating on his taxes. Using his business properties as personal residences to abuse certain tax benefits; deducting personal expenses as business expenses; paying his daughter bogus $$ as an unnamed third-party contractor to Trump orgs while she also earns salary as a Trump org executive; claiming millions of dollars in tax refund that depended on his giving up all stake in the ailing Taj Mahal Casino venture while still earning from a 5% share of ownership.

2. Trump is a particularly bad business man. His core business properties have been legitimately losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year, for years, pre-pandemic, such that he is able to use the losses to wipe out his federal income tax burden every year for the past 15 or so years. Trump’s finances showed the same pattern throughout the 90s. He is currently over $400 million in debt, much of which is coming due in a few years.

Or Both.

I considered the possibility that he’s neither cheating on his taxes nor a bad business man, but that Trump is making use of loopholes or favorable gaps in a very badly conceived tax code to consistently eliminate his federal income tax burden, while remaining a billionaire with sustainable income from assets that aren’t publicly known. This may certainly be the case in conjunction with one or both of the above cases, but I can’t understand how chronic losses from core businesses in the hundreds of millions, that wipe out all profit, plus $400 million in debt, soon to be due, aren’t disqualifying of “successful” business person status. In other words, based on the NYT findings, I think the pure tax loophole theory (no explicit law breaking) must still also admit that (2) is a likely possibility, i.e. Trump is not a successful business man.

Other possibilities?
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:40 am

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ds/616570/

Across decades, Trump honed a simple, devious strategy. He borrowed lots of money, lost it on failed investments, and took huge deductions on interest, depreciation, and operating expenses, which drove down his federal income tax. Very often, he would declare bankruptcy or otherwise renegotiate the terms of the original loan to avoid paying it back in full.

What’s so wrong—or deviously clever—about all that? Well, Trump’s trick, according to Steve Rosenthal of the Tax Policy Center, is all about what he did after the bank wrote down his debt. “So Trump would borrow money from banks, spend it all, and go back to his creditors and find a way to avoid paying the whole loan back,” said Rosenthal. “But when a bank writes off your debt, the discharged debt is income. You have to report it as taxable income. Trump never did.”

Instead, Trump repeatedly ducked his obligations to lenders and the IRS, perfecting the same playbook—borrow, spend, deduct, and walk away. Eventually, American lenders caught on to the gambit and stopped giving him money, forcing him to seek other sources of revenue, such as Deutsche Bank and international plutocrats.

[...]

It gets even weirder. All those golf properties look like horrendous businesses, having declared losses of more than $315 million since 2000, according to Trump’s tax records. In short, Trump is pouring a mysteriously large amount of money into opaque businesses suffering mysteriously high losses.

None of the tax experts I talked with said: “Yep, that’s clearly an illegal scheme.” But several told me that when companies, such as golf courses or restaurants, that seem to be losing lots of money nevertheless continue in operation for many years, prosecutors might become interested in investigating money laundering.

[...]

If Trump’s golf courses and other properties were serving as money-laundering enterprises for (let’s say) Russian oligarchs, we would expect to see three things: mountains of cash materializing from basically nowhere, several large money-losing enterprises, and a disinclination to abandon those failing properties. We’re seeing all of that.

Brian galle, a tax professor at Georgetown University, told me that my three explanations aren’t mutually exclusive. “There is a relationship between your interpretations one, two, and three,” he said. “If you’re a naturally successful businessperson, there is less pressure to maintain your wealth with tax-evasive maneuvers, or to engage in full-fledged money laundering.”
fuse
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:31 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Fixed Cross, as well as other people, have made posts listing numerous successes by Trump to improve the lives of the American people. Trump lowered taxes of the middle class. Got us out of one-sided trade deals. Strengthened our borders. Cut job and progress killing regulations. Got us out of numerous agreements in which the USA was the only country paying their fair share. Got us out of defense pacts that did not defend American interests. Refunded our military. Enabled legislation to keep petty criminals out of long prison sentences. He's defended the first amendment and the second amendment in speech and actions. He's actually done more for the country he loves and kept more campaign promises than any other president, ever. He's made more improvements to our nation, I've only listed a few.

1. Trump lowered taxes, but the results for most people were mixed and small. Lower and middle class income families saw trivial benefits, if any at all. High income families and corporations saw the most benefit. The argument that the Trump tax cuts were responsible for the the booming economy is weak. The stock market and unemployment rates were already in a good place and trending in the right direction, for years before Trump took office. The entire TCJA law is based on the same old "trickle down economics" story. Corporations and the rich benefit the most, and they do create jobs, but they also take in more profits. They are not likely to sacrifice their own profits to create jobs, so effectively the tax cuts pump up their profits while creating a disproportionate and disappointing amount of high quality jobs.

On top of this, the federal deficit grew significantly. Pre-pandemic as well as post-pandemic.

2. Trump's trade deals have had pretty mixed results. Hard to say we're a lot better off, and it's possible we're worse off because of them. Moreover, the U.S.'s declining credibility in international relations owes a lot to Trump.

3. Trump was never able to fund his border wall. He added a scant few miles to the wall and has mostly repaired the deteriorating border wall that already existed. He hasn't built or funded the wall he campaigned on. Mexico certainly did not pay for it. Even Americans who wanted to pay for it and who donated millions to Stephen Bannon's "We build the wall" fundraiser didn't pay for it because the fundraiser turned out to be a massive scam for which Bannon and others were indicted.

Questions and answers on status of Trump’s border wall wrote:Nearly all construction under Trump’s watch has been to replace old and much shorter barriers with steel poles up to 30 feet high and filled with concrete. Barriers covered 658 miles as of mid-July. That’s about a third of the border and little changed from when Trump took office.

Trump said repeatedly during the campaign that Mexico would pay for the wall, but that has not happened. The administration says it has received about $5 billion from congressional appropriations. In addition, Trump has moved nearly $10 billion from the Defense Department to pay for the wall, a move that has so far survived legal challenges.

Trump immigration policy:

Trump and Biden on immigration wrote:One of Trump’s favorite targets has been asylum, which he calls “a hoax.” He suggests that because most pass the first step — a credible-fear screening, set by Congress to be a low bar — but ultimately only about 25% win asylum, that means most claims are fraudulent.

In reality, Trump and his officials have waged war on the asylum system because they are trying to bar primarily Central Americans fleeing countries ravaged by corruption, violence, poverty and climate change, who once at the border are by the design of U.S. law difficult to kick out.

U.S. law grants migrants the right to seek asylum, regardless of how they enter the United States. The federal statutes center on “non-refoulement” — not sending people back to countries where they’d probably be persecuted, harmed or killed, based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion or particular social group.

Trump’s policies to end asylum have been consistently met by court challenges. These tactics have included separating families or making them wait for U.S. immigration court appearances in dangerous Mexican border cities; indefinitely detaining others with no chance of bail or parole despite having broken no laws; and in the name of “public health,” rapidly “expelling” nearly every migrant, including unaccompanied minors, with no chance to seek asylum, no coronavirus testing and no way to track what happened to them.

Trump’s executive actions leave perhaps the biggest bureaucratic tangle a Biden administration would be left to undo, with a backlogged immigration court system and inevitable future spikes in migration.

[...]

“What do we want Haitians here for? Why do we want all these people from Africa here? Why do we want all these people from shithole countries?”

He added, “We should have people from places like Norway”

[...]

On family separation, Trump issued an executive order in 2018 to stop the policy his officials still maintain was not a policy amid worldwide outcry, just before a judge ordered an end to the practice and ultimately required the government to reunite families. And yet, authorities continue to separate families.

[...]

The administration has also implemented new “wealth test” policies to keep out poor migrants, rejecting those who might use, or whose U.S. citizen children might use, public benefits.

[...]

Research shows that immigrants strengthen the economy and typically don’t compete with U.S.-born workers for jobs or lower their wages, and many of the affected industries, as well as Trump officials themselves, have advocated for more immigration, not less.

The administration has sought to restrict citizenship, raising fees for naturalizations and slowing processing

4. Trump did make a point of killing regulations, but this has not been done in an especially thoughtful way and mostly benefits corporations at the expense of the public interest. Did some burdensome and poorly implemented regulations exist? Yes. But a numbers game of restricting outgoing regulation in arbitrary proportion to deregulation, just to be able to point to numbers on paper, is not an especially smart or robust plan. Even those who support massive deregulation and an overhaul of the regulatory system admit that Trump has not accomplished much.

On Deregulation, Trump Has Achieved Little wrote:And the situation is even worse than that, because the administration’s math allows it to take credit for deregulatory policies as soon as they are promulgated, without paying any attention to whether they are carried through. In a great many cases they will not be, since Trump-administration agencies have seen their actions reversed in court at unheard-of levels — by one count, they have prevailed in just four out of 59 cases. Too much winning? Not so much.

Worst of all, the Trump administration has massively lowered standards for clean air and water, and other environmental safeguards.

5. The military was not underfunded when Trump took office. Yes, Trump increased funding relative to Obama's second term, but this was less than military funding under Obama's first term.

Did Trump Inherit a ‘Depleted’ Military From Obama? wrote:Trump’s military budget for his first four years (approximately $2.9 trillion) was more robust than Obama’s budget during his last four years (approximately $2.7 trillion). However, it was smaller than Obama’s budget during his first four years (approximately $3.3 trillion).

WendyDarling wrote:He's actually done more for the country he loves and kept more campaign promises than any other president, ever.

Trump's net effect on these specific points has been neutral, at best. I think much worse. He certainly hasn't done more for the country than any president ever. Did he ever do anything of lasting good, probably. I've pointed out a few positive things in the past. But there has been little of great consequence. Probably the greatest success of the Trump administration, in coordination with McConnell's Republican majority Senate, was packing the courts.

The worst aspects of Trump's presidency have far outweighed any of the debatable positives. He lies and misinforms the public all the time; he has flouted conflict of interest oversight and tried very hard to extract personal benefit from his office; Americans have less trust in their government than before; the non-partisan, professional civil service core has been gutted and replaced by Trump sycophants and loyalists; U.S. international credibility is at a low; Trump served his personal interests at the expense of his oath of office; he undermined U.S. intelligence and expertise to serve his personal agenda; he's been a particularly large asset for Putin, but also for other hostile foreign interests; he mislead the public, muzzled our best experts, and failed to lead when a national response was required for the pandemic. He has 215,000+ American deaths on his record. The damage has and will continue to have incalculable and lasting effects, I've only touched the surface.
fuse
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics