What Is Your Understanding Of A Feminist? Are You One?

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Postby Carleas » Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 pm

Sorry, Satyr, I think I misunderstood you. You are just saying that physical difference is an indicator that there is likely mental difference as well, and I interpreted it to say that physical strength was an indicator of mental strength. Apologies. In that case, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think there is necessarily a difference (there are numerous physical and mental qualities in which men and women are equals), nor do we know in which direction the scales are tilted (the playing field has not been equal).
I think Mike is on to something. Women have been rapidly gaining social influence since the industrial revolution, i.e. since the necessity of physical strength was significantly reduced as a requirement for productive labor. Perhaps men maintain dominence because not enough time has elapsed to allow women to prove themselves superior.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Ingenium » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:23 am

I have been slammed as a misanthrop many times by three males on this board.

This can be viewed as an accomplishment, as your comments apparently hit them somewhere where it stung a bit. :)

Friends???

Of course!
Ingenium
Philosopher

Postby aspacia » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:05 am

Ingenium wrote:
I have been slammed as a misanthrop many times by three males on this board.

This can be viewed as an accomplishment, as your comments apparently hit them somewhere where it stung a bit. :)

Friends???

Of course!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks kiddo,

aspacia
"The moment you give up your principles and your values, the moment you laugh at those principles and those values, you are dead, your culture is dead, your civilization is dead. Period." Oriana Fallaci

God Bless America, The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave -- but with flaws that we are working on.

Qui es ignarus quod tumidus ero ignarus

fight CAIR

Know your friends well; know your enemies better. Know their weakness and exploit it to your advantage.

The idealist is incorrigible: if he is thrown out of heaven he makes an ideal of his hell. Friedrich Nietzsche

Aude aliquid dignum.
Dare something worthy.
aspacia
BANNED

Response

Postby WillNZ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:41 am

I don't know if i see it so much as empowering females, as disempowering males.

In a good way, though!

Men wield too much power for their own good. Hasn't got us very far in the past in terms of world peace!

Why not try women at the fore?

=D> =D> =D>

Oh, let me add to that.

Women are GREAT at running the household.

Think of the world as a great big household.

Therefore,

Women would be PERFECT for running the world!

:lol: :lol:

(just crackin' a little joke there...)
"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only son".
WillNZ

Postby Impenitent » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:20 am

the hand that rocks the cradle already rules the world

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

What's the difference between a liberal and Al Qaeda?
Oh, you don't know either?

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" -Eco
Impenitent
ILP Legend

Postby Gaiaguerrilla » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 am

There is a lot of recent intellect toward feminism, and I've read some. I have much agreement with The War Against Women by Marylin French. But my position for a long time lacks a lot of intellect. That is . . .

I live in the more sophisticated, fairer society of the world. I can walk down dark alleyways, and it doesn't really bother me. My girlfriend, and many girls I know, are not so anxious. Why?
Gaiaguerrilla
Philosopher

Re: What Is Your Understanding Of A Feminist? Are You One?

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 am

Feminism is very deeply divided at the moment over the trans issue
The question is over whether or not a trans woman is also a woman

I refuse to adopt a dogmatic position on this but if you have a cock and balls between your legs then you are a man
Yet this statement would get me labelled a transphobe when all I am doing is stating biological fact and nothing else

I have zero problem with how anyone self identifies or what pronouns they prefer but denying reality is another thing entirely
I cannot accept you are a woman when you have something other than a cunt between your legs as that makes no sense at all

I am very interested in the debate within the feminist community about this issue even though I am not a feminist or a woman or trans
The three main areas of contention are public toilets and professional sports and prisons as they all involve enforced gender segregation

There is so much hate between the two sides and unfortunately it doesnt seem there is any solution to either that or the actual problems themselves
Two binary positions that are as opposite each other as it is possible to be with no room for compromise from either side now or probably never at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:52 pm

This is my take on non-binary people.

For one, they are almost 100% male transvestites (cross dressers)

Now! Here’s the deal! When a female walks down the street with a sheer top with no bra and admonishes people who look a her boobs as “perverts”, she’s fucked in the head. Even gay men will look at her boobs!

When you have a dude wearing a dress who calls anyone who notices that it’s a dude wearing a dress a “homophobe” “transphobe” or “asshole”, you’re dealing with a “narcissistic attention whore with no self worth”. Everyone with a brain is going to notice that you are a dude wearing a dress.

In the age of trump, narcissism is the law.

What’s funny to me is that they all hate trump.

This is called classic projection: you love what you see of yourself in others and hate what you see of yourself in others (if they are negative qualities).

What I hate most about these people is that “they hate labels”. Well fuck you! Labels cause this thing called ACCOUNTABILITY! If you don’t exist, you can hate everyone (or “dodge”) anyone who judges you in any way shape or form.

And that a post modernist asshole.

The other thing post modernist asshole say is that “words are just words talking about words and don’t refer to anything but words”

There are so many fucked up people on ILP, and in the world at large, and all they care about is not being judged.

And to all these people, I make a very simple statement: judge me with all of your might!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Tab » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:09 am

There are so many fucked up people on ILP.

There's only about 10 people here. We can't all be mad.
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:51 am

Tab wrote:
There are so many fucked up people on ILP.

There's only about 10 people here. We can't all be mad.

I think there are a lot of die hard netzschians here, who come and go, and I consider them all post modernists ... “words are just words only talking about words... the only thing that matters is domination... if you dominate, you can say whatever the fuck you want, not only that, you can do whatever the fuck you want”. Trump anyone? Is it any wonder why the majority of posters since trump have been trumpers!?!

I hate these fucking pricks.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:44 am

Post modernists and Trump supporters are total opposites with absolutely zero similarity
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:38 pm

RicDemian wrote:In Who Stole Feminism? philosopher Christina Hoff Sommers distinguishes 2 schools of thought. Equity feminism, which oppose sex discrimination and unfairness to women, and gender feminism, which is an empirical doctrine regarding human nature. According to gender feminism the differences in the roles of between men and women are not rooted in biology or psychology, but socially constructed and motivated out of the urge for power. It further claims that men as a group oppose women. Genders are taken as competing units.

Equity feminism is simply fairness applied to the genders and in the classical liberal tradition. Anyone oppose it?

Any informed feminists please fill in the details or correct my skeletal representations.

I would be an equity feminist.

I believe women are entitled to the same rights before the law as men.

Luckily the question of abortion can be avoided here as men do not have the right to abortion nor do they lack that right. If men could get pregnant, I think the law about abortion, whatever it may be, should be the same for men as it would be for women.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
valueontologyforsuperIQs - sumofalltemples - The Magical Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:15 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
Post modernists and Trump supporters are total opposites with absolutely zero similarity

You have “trump derangement syndrome” —- the belief that trump isn’t deranged!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 am

S57 wrote:I refuse to adopt a dogmatic position on this but if you have a cock and balls between your legs then you are a man
Yet this statement would get me labelled a transphobe when all I am doing is stating biological fact and nothing else

Not a biological fact but a linguistic fact. That's what the word "man" means. Indeed, it might even be a bit relaxed, since in certain circles, in order to be considered a man, you must also have other traits such as courage, physical strength, intellect and so on. But in both cases, "a cock and a pair of balls between your legs" is an absolutely necessary condition.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics