Abortion

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Destiny wrote:Most women who want to castrate all men have had bad experiences. But these are just results of their own bad choices. They just need some therapy.


most women have had bad experiences.

and again
what about men's bad choices?
it takes two people

I have made some iffy choices in the past but I try not to blame them on anyone but myself. I am a spiritual person. Not everyone can look inside.

I had an abortion once, the man didnt know about it. When I told him, he became depressed and made a suicide attempt.

Abortion is murder. I know that now.


i haven't claimed otherwise
what i have said
is that abortion is not a trivial matter
and that the women who have done it have to live with that ghost

and i have also said
that there are worse things than death

even if you don't blame anyone but yourself*
there is blame to be given
because though men do not bare physical consequences
that does not mean that they are not accountable

------
*which btw is not necessarily healthy or the right thing to do,
but you should address that with your therapist, not me
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby iambiguous » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:53 pm

Destiny wrote:Most women who want to castrate all men have had bad experiences. But these are just results of their own bad choices. They just need some therapy.

I have made some iffy choices in the past but I try not to blame them on anyone but myself. I am a spiritual person. Not everyone can look inside.

I had an abortion once, the man didnt know about it. When I told him, he became depressed and made a suicide attempt.

Abortion is murder. I know that now.


No, murder is basically a legal term. In some jurisdictions abortion is against the law, in others it is not.

That is part of the either/or world. The laws in any given nation are what they are.

But laws certainly have a lot to do with what citizens in any given nation construe to be either moral or immoral behavior.

Okay, how then is it determined that abortion is in fact either moral or immoral given the arguments I make above? And in my signature threads.

You claim to know abortion is murder. And, sure, to the extent that you are familiar with abortion laws where you reside what you claim to know is is either true or not true.

But to the extent that you conflate murder here with immorality, what is your argument? How would you go about demonstrating that what you believe about the ethics of abortion "in your head" is that which all rational and virtuous men and women are obligated to accept in turn.

Also, is there a religious component to your argument here?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 40318
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Abortion

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:04 pm

phoneutria wrote:i wonder how much of that
was about male sterilization



You can be cold.

It was about pointing out contradictions in what you say, and feeling very smug about it. But ironically I am not the type to put much stock by that, because contradictions don't actually break positions. Thus kinda proving that logic is a secondary tool more than a main component of thought.

I'm not trying to judge women. I was just trying to explain how important these lives are to me.

There is a philosopher whose name I forget, a Jew who was in the camps. He claimed that as soon as one human recognizes that another is a human, he becomes incapable of performing atrocitires. My goal here was a bit that, because it's easy when all you are thinking about is tissue. But these are humans, at the most precious points of their lives. Not only that, but trivializing their importance is to trivialize your own importance. And believe it or not, I care about you and would, if I could, spare you that.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 9229
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:05 pm

iambiguous wrote:Right, just as all of those in the past who have advocated sterilizing women [for any number of classist or racist and/or sexist reasons] were dead serious too.


i want you to feel what we feel
now that the table has turned

you haven't expressed
if you think it is appropriate
for a state/federal law
to mandate
that you be sterilized
well?

phoneutria wrote: vasectomies are reversible
a man is able to become fertile again
once he is ready to be a dad
alternatively
sperm can be frozen in a bank as a backup

now can you actually address it?


Well, given the vehemence with which you advocated sterilization above, I presumed you were advocating a more, uh, radical approach to the problem. Well, anyway, the problem as you see it subjectively/subjunctively "in your head". "Here and now" as it were. If you get that part.

That others might see both the problem and any possible solution differently than you do...what then?


that is what conversations are for

Is the best option here might makes right, right makes might or moderation, negotiation and compromise? Or what precise combination of the three?

Given a particular set of circumstances.


moderation, negotiation and compromise
if that's not fucking obvious enough to you by now

In other words, given a particular set of circumstances as any particular person construes it to be. We'd, what, go from man to man to man and assess whether or not he deserved the right to be fertile again?


he can go to the fucking reproductive offices version of a DMV and fill a form
or present a business plan or whatever
put a fucking signature on it
assume all legal consequences of being fertile

And, if so, and he impregnates a woman who does not want to be pregnant [for any number of personal reasons] we'd go from woman to woman to woman and assess her right to abort the baby? Or, as others insist, the "clump of cells"?


no no
he needs a signed consent form
showing that the woman is aware he's fertile
and has agreed to host the baby
otherwise she is in her right to terminate it

As for a man's frozen sperm...same thing? Each and every context will be dealt with differently depending on what you or someone else or some "committee" decides is the most rational and virtuous option?


yeah
until people learn to be responsible with their reproductive system
and give unborn babies their proper worth and value
or let this fucking species die off
whatever comes first

And none of these "frames of mind" have anything to do with the manner in which I construe human identity here given the arguments I make in my signature threads?


i don't give a shit
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby Destiny » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:08 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Destiny wrote:Most women who want to castrate all men have had bad experiences. But these are just results of their own bad choices. They just need some therapy.

I have made some iffy choices in the past but I try not to blame them on anyone but myself. I am a spiritual person. Not everyone can look inside.

I had an abortion once, the man didnt know about it. When I told him, he became depressed and made a suicide attempt.

Abortion is murder. I know that now.


No, murder is basically a legal term. In some jurisdictions abortion is against the law, in others it is not.

That is part of the either/or world. The laws in any given nation are what they are.

But laws certainly have a lot to do with what citizens in any given nation construe to be either moral or immoral behavior.

Okay, how then is it determined that abortion is in fact either moral or immoral given the arguments I make above? And in my signature threads.

You claim to know abortion is murder. And, sure, to the extent that you are familiar with abortion laws where you reside what you claim to know is is either true or not true.

But to the extent that you conflate murder here with immorality, what is your argument? How would you go about demonstrating that what you believe about the ethics of abortion "in your head" is that which all rational and virtuous men and women are obligated to accept in turn.

Also, is there a religious component to your argument here?

Ok ok gonna get legalish on me now!! Ok ok.
Well ok its not murder if it is legal. I cant deny what you just said.
So, it is the killing of a human being who has committed no crime and is also not in the army of a foreign invader.
Unless the mother sees the pregnancy as a foreign invasion.

What I really mean to say is that it feels like murder, to take the life inside of you.
what if you hate you
User avatar
Destiny
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:53 pm
Location: "San Fransisco"

Re: Abortion

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:18 pm

Regarding the women themselves:

Again, I am not judging. Though, putting myself in the position of a father whose child was murdered I believe in a right to retribution. But believe it or not even in that case, I am not judging. I think the woman evidently had a terrible ordeal which was capped by an even worse one. The right to retribution, of the father, has nothing to do with any moral failings in the mother. Maybe that's why you have trouble understanding my position, you view things in terms of morality. Or like Clint said, "deserve ain't got nothing to do with it."

The point is that no matter how little the mothers are guilty in the scenario, all of which by the way I wrote about but you feel some kind of sick pleasure at not reading anything I write, they simply practically don't matter to me in comparison with the child they carry. In a healthy mind, a mother herself considers herself to matter little compared to the miracle she is about to deliver.

You keep seeming to be implying that this is about fault or punishment. It is not. Not for me anyhow. It is about protecting a life that is worth more than yours, mine or the mother's.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 9229
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:20 pm

In the case where the mother's health is seriously imperiled:

No matter whose life is more valuable, when the most ancient of circumstances sets in, "your life or mine," the Gods impose absolute equality between the participants, and a mother having the obvious power to win every time, will be afforded this right, by nature herself.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 9229
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:34 pm

Now, this might be a good point to bring this up:

To all the, well basically shameless commies, who say that we "read communism" into unrelated matters in a kind of redneck racist paranoia, I would point out the following:

Child elimination obviously has nothing to do with right wing or left wing. But witness how the person for a woman's right to child elimination at whim, without failing brought to the table, they did, not your humble redneck racist spick, that there should be some kind of massive welfare system which, obviously, could only be maintained by some healthy wealth redistribution. If people have money they can afford healthcare, but this argument was ignored.

Also they, not your humble redneck mexican racist, insist on focusing this whole thing as some evil opressors against some exploited victims. It was at one point suggested, that all sex is the product of some degree of rape.

And finelly, even though this might make commies even angrier, considering their whole life is about finding the bad guys (better they themselves be the bad guys than no one, no one is the bad guy?!?), I don't actually think, specially in this case of phoneutria, that it is the failing of a person. I think communism is a kind of virus. It latches on to weaknesses in the intellectual immunity system, some small resentment, some unconsidered opinion, and grows. It has its own existence, its own logic.

I happen to be lucky enough to have had many discussions with phoneutria, and to know that almost none of the above applies to her. That she does not actually think child elimination is trivial, or all sex rape, or all women victims, or mass welfare an answer to much if anything. But in a heated debate, the virus takes over. It makes her say things that have no point of contact with her actual thoughts and opinions. Because communism is a virus, a disease.

Even though communists think we, us the physical people, require erradication, what we ourselves feel is that the disease of communism requires erradication. Most times, it's carrying has no information aboutt the actual carrier.

The first step to curing is: when there is a gap between your self righteous feelings and reality, trust reality.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 9229
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby promethean75 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:44 pm

"It was at one point suggested, that all sex is the product of some degree of rape"

That's from the Ecmanduist Manifesto, not the Communist Manifesto.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4166
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:57 pm

phoneutria wrote:like it's not men forcing themselves on them
every fucking second of their living time
to let them jizz in them and then fuck off


It was also formulated in another way at some other point, but enough.

What Ecmanud says is that all human action is rape.

That all sex is rape is a communist thing. Because it feeds into that narrative, that there is an oppressor class and an opressed class, in this case evil men oppressing poor women.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 9229
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 am

phoneutria wrote:almost every abortion occurs
when either the man is pressuring the woman to abort
or when the men simply fucked off
and the woman is alone with the burden
even though the man was there to make the baby
and there isn't anybody talking why didn't he just
not spunk into the goddamn vagina
and then fuck off
like a fucking drone that he is
just about how the girl should have been more responsible
so since there doesn't seem to be much accountability on the side of men
just a constant nagging to tell women what to do
so lets do this instead
pass a law mandating that all men get a vasectomy
it's cheaper than women sterilization
less invasive
and men apparently have no issue with a government
making a decision on one's body
so that should pass without any resistance, right?
right, guys??
besides it's reversible
for when the man put his fucking shit together
and then he can fucking beg a woman to have his baby
and he better fucking be nice to her
because it is OUR gift to give
and it is OUR gift to take
you cross the mother of your children
then you don't have any fucking children
that's that
the feminine is a loving and nurturing force
but it is also terrible and devouring
the same nature that brings life to all things
is the nature that swallows them when they're dead
you want to talk about reproductive rights
stop fucking jizzing everywhere
like it's a trivial thing
because it fucking isn't
you don't want to be treated like a sperm sack
stop acting like one
and when it comes to the body of a woman
you don't make that call

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻



i always advise everyone that i meet to never let them have the seed. there are plenty of us out here who aren't about to go making someone pregnant.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.


Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 28860
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:02 am

lol if you think it's welfare i want
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:20 am

if that hasn't been made clear enough

what i want
is for someone
to FATHER these children
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:21 am

and you are calling me a communist now
when I am the only one
who has consistently spoken against government intervention
and defended individual freedom
in every circumstance
and you've said in this thread
that you are always against the state having any say on this
so you can't even resolve your own conflict
but a gut feeling makes you drop your principles
like you're the one with ovaries
and then you gotta call me a bad name
to make things right

no surprise there
you are all idiots
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
phoneutria wrote:like it's not men forcing themselves on them
every fucking second of their living time
to let them jizz in them and then fuck off


It was also formulated in another way at some other point, but enough.

What Ecmanud says is that all human action is rape.

That all sex is rape is a communist thing. Because it feeds into that narrative, that there is an oppressor class and an opressed class, in this case evil men oppressing poor women.


what the fuck
is that where you got the idea i said sex = rape?
what I mean was the constant hounding
constant insistance
like water dripping on a rock
long enough to put a hole in the rock
what i mean every fucking time a man
says a word to me
what they are actually saying
is "let me put it in"
prove me wrong, bitch
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:28 am

anyway I am tired of having to dumb myself down to your comprehension skills
and i don't have any crayons so i can draw it for you
so think whatever you want to think
i don't care
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby Sculptor » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:23 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:First let's get one thing on record: when an abortion is performed, knives and chemicals are inserted into a woman's body to kill the most precious thing there exists.

Wrong.
The most precious thing in a woman's body is that which belongs to the woman and what she says is the most precious.
Wrong.
Abortions can involve only the use of hormones.
Wrong.
Abortions can involve only the use of a tool.

I am going to straightforwardly block everybody who doesn't agree on that very basic fact.

Yeah stick you fucking head in the sand like most other religious wanker,LOL
They are either cowards, morons, or psychopaths. There are no psychopaths on this website, so the previous two will apply.

But we ain't cunts like you who think they have rights over other humans.

Let us restate for the record: when an abortion is performed, knives and chemicals are inserted into a woman's body to kill the most precious thing there exists.

You already made three mistakes.
No need to repeat them.

The argument, between civilized peoples, will not be about this fact which obviousness makes a mockery of redundance. It will be about the following:

1. Does anybody have a right to take not only a life, but the single most precious form of life known to man?

Wrong again.
Yes. people take lives all the time.
I eat meat. Do you?
The government sanctions air strikes on actual living humans.
The government has a little thing called capital punishment.
Nature causes more natural abortions than people do. That would be god, if you are religious.

Rest of rant deleted
Sculptor
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Sculptor » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:25 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I have no time for propagandists. Blocked.

Yeah.
Stuck your head in the sand.
Religous nut job
Sculptor
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Sculptor » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:26 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:It bothers me that you ignored every point I made.

If you are arguing for a woman's right to devour life... Let me just ask you this:

Do you believe, in your heart, that having a clear mind, any woman in any situation would make that decision?


How about when a priest has raped her??
Do you think she has to carry that monster inside her?
Sculptor
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:12 pm

phoneutria wrote:
Pedro I Rengel wrote:
phoneutria wrote:like it's not men forcing themselves on them
every fucking second of their living time
to let them jizz in them and then fuck off


It was also formulated in another way at some other point, but enough.

What Ecmanud says is that all human action is rape.

That all sex is rape is a communist thing. Because it feeds into that narrative, that there is an oppressor class and an opressed class, in this case evil men oppressing poor women.


what the fuck
is that where you got the idea i said sex = rape?
what I mean was the constant hounding
constant insistance
like water dripping on a rock
long enough to put a hole in the rock
what i mean every fucking time a man
says a word to me
what they are actually saying
is "let me put it in"
prove me wrong, bitch


Fuck. Alright, you brought my name into this.

What I say is that what humans consider consensual sex is more technically understood as MUTUAL SUBTLE RAPE!!! I’m not angry when I type caps, I’m just too lazy to use bold, italic, font size functions.

Any ornate behavior in a male that elicits sex from a female IN A SEX DIMORPHIC SPECIES is a sexual pass at that woman from a position of power, even if the woman can beat the shit out of the guy. In micro expressions women always show more discomfort than men when the roles are reversed. This is a no for every woman on earth. If that becomes sexual, it’s a no means yes relationship. Any woman who understands this is a rapist as well, not just the men!!

It’s MUTUAL...

The abortion argument is getting really boring at this point ....

Just walk around and ask people if they love their parents enough to accept 2 seconds of pain to improve their parents lives. Most people will say yes. Then think about the people who say no. They don’t give a shit about their parents, or actually anyone but themselves on planet earth. Those are the last fucking people to bring here, the worst of the worst, the scum of the earth... and we’re filled knee high with these shitheads on earth.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11528
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Abortion

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:10 pm

phoneutria wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Right, just as all of those in the past who have advocated sterilizing women [for any number of classist or racist and/or sexist reasons] were dead serious too.


i want you to feel what we feel
now that the table has turned


Oh, okay, sterilize men for the reasons you prescribe because because men once sterilized women for the reasons they prescribed.

Don't even allow for the possibility that others may have reasons to reject sterilization of either men or women. It's the "tit for tat" philosophy instead.

phoneutria wrote: you haven't expressed
if you think it is appropriate
for a state/federal law
to mandate
that you be sterilized
well?


Given what particular context? Or is it just because I am a man? Ironically enough I chose to sterilize myself. And I have no plans to reverse my own vasectomy.

And, again, my point is that when it comes to things like sterilization, individual points of view are far more likely to be rooted subjectively/subjunctively in dasein than in anything that the fulminating fanatics among us can insist is objectively appropriate.

phoneutria wrote: vasectomies are reversible
a man is able to become fertile again
once he is ready to be a dad
alternatively
sperm can be frozen in a bank as a backup

now can you actually address it?


Well, given the vehemence with which you advocated sterilization above, I presumed you were advocating a more, uh, radical approach to the problem. Well, anyway, the problem as you see it subjectively/subjunctively "in your head". "Here and now" as it were. If you get that part.

That others might see both the problem and any possible solution differently than you do...what then?


phoneutria wrote: that is what conversations are for


I've witnessed "conversations" that you have had with others here. Especially when others are foolish enough not to think exactly like you do about the subject at hand.

Is the best option here might makes right, right makes might or moderation, negotiation and compromise? Or what precise combination of the three?

Given a particular set of circumstances.


phoneutria wrote: moderation, negotiation and compromise
if that's not fucking obvious enough to you by now


Okay, in regard to the sterilization of men, how might moderation, negotiation and compromise unfold in, say, the legislative process. Would it be the equivalent of Roe V. Wade in regard to abortion policy.

In other words, given a particular set of circumstances as any particular person construes it to be. We'd, what, go from man to man to man and assess whether or not he deserved the right to be fertile again?


phoneutria wrote: he can go to the fucking reproductive offices version of a DMV and fill a form
or present a business plan or whatever
put a fucking signature on it
assume all legal consequences of being fertile


In other words, your end of the "conversation" here.

And, if so, and he impregnates a woman who does not want to be pregnant [for any number of personal reasons] we'd go from woman to woman to woman and assess her right to abort the baby? Or, as others insist, the "clump of cells"?


phoneutria wrote: no no
he needs a signed consent form
showing that the woman is aware he's fertile
and has agreed to host the baby
otherwise she is in her right to terminate it


And of course one size fits all here. In every possible situation in which men and women might have intercourse certain "conditions" must be addressed.

Something like out of this particular future dystopia: https://youtu.be/urS8GmwmeWQ

As for a man's frozen sperm...same thing? Each and every context will be dealt with differently depending on what you or someone else or some "committee" decides is the most rational and virtuous option?


phoneutria wrote: yeah
until people learn to be responsible with their reproductive system
and give unborn babies their proper worth and value
or let this fucking species die off
whatever comes first


Sounds like a policy one would expect from the totalitarian Communists to me.

And none of these "frames of mind" have anything to do with the manner in which I construe human identity here given the arguments I make in my signature threads?


phoneutria wrote: i don't give a shit


Yeah, but you don't know why yet.

But that would involve an entirely new thread. Want me to start it?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 40318
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Abortion

Postby iambiguous » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Destiny wrote:So, it is the killing of a human being who has committed no crime and is also not in the army of a foreign invader.
Unless the mother sees the pregnancy as a foreign invasion.

What I really mean to say is that it feels like murder, to take the life inside of you.


I agree in the sense that I believe that abortion is the killing of an innocent human being. But I also believe that women should not be forced to give birth. How do I reconcile that?

I can't. Instead, I see them as conflicting goods rooted in sets of circumstances in which those on both sides of the conflagration are able to make and to sustain reasonable arguments both for and against abortion.

Furthermore I suggest that individual points of view here are derived more from the manner in which I encompass my own existential assessment of abortion on this thread: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=194382

And that this involves as much what we feel [or intuit] as what we think.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 40318
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Abortion

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:43 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Destiny wrote:So, it is the killing of a human being who has committed no crime and is also not in the army of a foreign invader.
Unless the mother sees the pregnancy as a foreign invasion.

What I really mean to say is that it feels like murder, to take the life inside of you.


I agree in the sense that I believe that abortion is the killing of an innocent human being. But I also believe that women should not be forced to give birth. How do I reconcile that?

I can't. Instead, I see them as conflicting goods rooted in sets of circumstances in which those on both sides of the conflagration are able to make and to sustain reasonable arguments both for and against abortion.

Furthermore I suggest that individual points of view here are derived more from the manner in which I encompass my own existential assessment of abortion on this thread: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=194382

And that this involves as much what we feel [or intuit] as what we think.


What a fucking cop out iambiguous.

I’ve given my argument even before you took an oath to basically ignore me... you’ve always cowered from it. Why? Because it twists your brain that abortion has an objective answer. It interfered with your shtick, your ego defense systems... this from the person who states they have a fractured self... you have a massive ego about you: “the lady doth protest too much”
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11528
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Abortion

Postby phoneutria » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:50 pm

iambiguous wrote:Oh, okay, sterilize men for the reasons you prescribe because because men once sterilized women for the reasons they prescribed.

Don't even allow for the possibility that others may have reasons to reject sterilization of either men or women. It's the "tit for tat" philosophy instead.


this is a THOUGHT experiment
i suspect that a lot of men will have issues
with a law demanding that they be sterilized
by asking what the members here think about that
i am allowing for that possibility to be spoken about
i am asking people to voice their opinions
that is the entire point behind me posting that
given that I am obviously against it

i have always been an individual rights advocate
i am not personally in favor or state of federal government
doing anything such

phoneutria wrote: you haven't expressed
if you think it is appropriate
for a state/federal law
to mandate
that you be sterilized
well?


Given what particular context? Or is it just because I am a man?


that context right there
a state or federal mandate
on all men
to be sterilized

besides are you even sure you're a man?
isn't that what postmodernists are all about?
that everything is fluid, nothing is biological
everything is dasein
so how can you even say for sure that you are a man?
(please do not answer that
it is not the scope of the thread
i am just taking the piss)

Ironically enough I chose to sterilize myself. And I have no plans to reverse my own vasectomy.

well, good
people shouldn't go out risking becoming a parent
unless they are fully committed to the idea of becoming one

And, again, my point is that when it comes to things like sterilization, individual points of view are far more likely to be rooted subjectively/subjunctively in dasein than in anything that the fulminating fanatics among us can insist is objectively appropriate.


obviously
and since values are hierarchical
and subjective
the law should always be on the side of individual freedom

Well, given the vehemence with which you advocated sterilization above, I presumed you were advocating a more, uh, radical approach to the problem. Well, anyway, the problem as you see it subjectively/subjunctively "in your head". "Here and now" as it were. If you get that part.

That others might see both the problem and any possible solution differently than you do...what then?


again
any imposition of values upon an individual
which are not his or hers
is immoral

therefore a man's failure to assure himself
of the fact that the woman he is impregnating
is a willing participant of that venture
before the fact
(by having some pillow talk maybe, about parenthood)
precludes him from having any claim whatsoever over that child
thus
if he does not want his child aborted
with a woman who does not want to become a mother
he must not impregnate her

and if that should happen
the blood is on HIS HANDS
as much as it is on HERS

don't want your baby killed?
don't put it in a hostile place

phoneutria wrote: that is what conversations are for


I've witnessed "conversations" that you have had with others here. Especially when others are foolish enough not to think exactly like you do about the subject at hand.


i reserve myself the right to be blunt
in the face of stupidity
but let my relationship with silhouette on this board
stand as evidence to the fact
that it is not thinking differently from me that elicits that response
it's stupidity

Okay, in regard to the sterilization of men, how might moderation, negotiation and compromise unfold in, say, the legislative process. Would it be the equivalent of Roe V. Wade in regard to abortion policy.


yeah that would probably be contentious
which is the reason why i brought it up
i wonder if the people who are eager to impose
state and federal regulations on a woman's body
would be equally receptive
to the same done to men

and i wonder
if men were the ones who carried babies inside them
if this would be an issue at all
can you imagine
men being OK with being forced to carry a pregnancy to term?
LOL

Something like out of this particular future dystopia: https://youtu.be/urS8GmwmeWQ


lol
i have that on VHS

Sounds like a policy one would expect from the totalitarian Communists to me.


duh


But that would involve an entirely new thread. Want me to start it?


no
User avatar
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Abortion

Postby polishyouthgotipbanned » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:22 pm

God ur so hot...
User avatar
polishyouthgotipbanned
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:47 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Sandbox



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users