Trade-Offs

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:41 am

If you're on the right, would you be willing to let the left have their way on a few issues, if it meant the right could have their way on a few issues?

If you're on the left, would you be willing to let the right have their way on a few issues, if it meant the left could have their way on a few issues?
Last edited by Gloominary on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:02 am

From being raised right, I’d agree to minor concessions if reasonable.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 am

Can you think of a few issues you'd be willing to let the left have their way with, as long as they didn't go overboard or off the deep end, so the right could have their way on a few issues?
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:28 am

Can you offer a few left ideas that aren’t off the deep end? Then I’ll mull it over.

Oh, thought of one, college debt is paid with social security but they lose that portion of social security until their college debts are paid.

More low income duplexes in more small towns, not big complexes though. A few duplexes that are woven into each town seamlessly not causing ghetto areas.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:42 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Can you offer a few left ideas that aren’t off the deep end? Then I’ll mull it over.

My ideas are for the federal government.

Increase the federal minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour.

Free, or affordable healthcare, but without taking away the private option.

Free, or affordable postsecondary education, again without taking away the private option.

Legalize marijuana.

I think those are the best ideas the left has.

Oh, thought of one, college debt is paid with social security but they lose that portion of social security until their college debts are paid.

More low income duplexes in more small towns, not big complexes though. A few duplexes that are woven into each town seamlessly not causing ghetto areas.

Interesting, so affordable housing and some college debt relief.

Can you think of a few areas you'd like the right to have more say in?
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:20 pm

Gloominary wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Can you offer a few left ideas that aren’t off the deep end? Then I’ll mull it over.

My ideas are for the federal government.

Increase the federal minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour.

Free, or affordable healthcare, but without taking away the private option.

Free, or affordable postsecondary education, again without taking away the private option.

Legalize marijuana.

I think those are the best ideas the left has.

Oh, thought of one, college debt is paid with social security but they lose that portion of social security until their college debts are paid.

More low income duplexes in more small towns, not big complexes though. A few duplexes that are woven into each town seamlessly not causing ghetto areas.

Interesting, so affordable housing and some college debt relief.

Can you think of a few areas you'd like the right to have more say in?
Term limits for all elected and appointed government offices. Pledge of Allegiance as originally written in schools through elementary levels.

I thought that the new federally mandated min. wage was already happening incrementally up to the $15, wasn’t it? Not convinced that this will improve much by way of the quality of life if only large corporations can afford to pay it or small businesses cut their staff in half and their worked hours simply making fulltime work harder to come by forcing their emplyees to live on 25 hours a week which is exactly the amount of money they earned before so no financial advantage only less hours worked.

Unlimited free higher education, maybe extend this free education to tutors as well but that might put the institutions out of business, cutting govt workers, making govt smaller. I’d rather learn from individualized tutors specifically chosen to jibe with my interests, rather than being forced through certain curriculums for one specific outcome. Tutors are the way to go. Not sure how the financing would be organized by the govt. Tutoring would create a lot of jobs learning hands on one on one and I think a student would learn more, quicker too. Be much easier to find a tutor you gel with who is challenging you rather than being stuck in a required lame class with a lame teacher.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8311
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:37 am

No concessions on Free Speech or the 2nd Amendment.

If you want abortion and legalized drug-abuse, then don't tax me for it, for your healthcare, or for your welfare.
Urwrongx1000
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4385
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:57 pm

WendyDarling wrote:
Gloominary wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Can you offer a few left ideas that aren’t off the deep end? Then I’ll mull it over.

My ideas are for the federal government.

Increase the federal minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour.

Free, or affordable healthcare, but without taking away the private option.

Free, or affordable postsecondary education, again without taking away the private option.

Legalize marijuana.

I think those are the best ideas the left has.

Oh, thought of one, college debt is paid with social security but they lose that portion of social security until their college debts are paid.

More low income duplexes in more small towns, not big complexes though. A few duplexes that are woven into each town seamlessly not causing ghetto areas.

Interesting, so affordable housing and some college debt relief.

Can you think of a few areas you'd like the right to have more say in?

Term limits for all elected and appointed government offices. Pledge of Allegiance as originally written in schools through elementary levels.

Interesting, so you're willing to make a few economic concessions in order to get term limits and the Pledge of Allegiance back in school, the latter being a cultural victory for conservatives.
I'll give them a bit more dominion over the economy if they give us a bit more dominion over culture.
I suspect you're not the only one who feels that way to say the least.

I thought that the new federally mandated min. wage was already happening incrementally up to the $15, wasn’t it?

I'm not sure.
In Canada the federal minimum wage is 11.06 dollars, not sure if it's scheduled to go up either.
Most, or all of the provinces are scheduled to go up to 15 dollars incrementally.
Here in BC it's currently 14.60.

Not convinced that this will improve much by way of the quality of life if only large corporations can afford to pay it or small businesses cut their staff in half and their worked hours simply making fulltime work harder to come by forcing their emplyees to live on 25 hours a week which is exactly the amount of money they earned before so no financial advantage only less hours worked.

Yea, I hear you, I would subsidize small businesses to compensate them for having to pay higher wages.
Still, if it were not for covid, most small businesses would survive and most wouldn't be able or willing to slash their staff in half.

Unlimited free higher education, maybe extend this free education to tutors as well but that might put the institutions out of business, cutting govt workers, making govt smaller. I’d rather learn from individualized tutors specifically chosen to jibe with my interests, rather than being forced through certain curriculums for one specific outcome. Tutors are the way to go. Not sure how the financing would be organized by the govt. Tutoring would create a lot of jobs learning hands on one on one and I think a student would learn more, quicker too. Be much easier to find a tutor you gel with who is challenging you rather than being stuck in a required lame class with a lame teacher.

Ah, so you're willing to make a much larger concession on education.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:No concessions on Free Speech or the 2nd Amendment.

If you want abortion and legalized drug-abuse, then don't tax me for it, for your healthcare, or for your welfare.

Interesting, the 1st and 2nd amendment rather than the economy are the most important to you.
Those're very important to me too.
You lean libertarian anyway, so giving the left abortion and legalized drug-abuse is no biggie for you, so long as you don't have to pay for it.
So you'd give them that, in exchange for ending censorship and gun control, that's a good trade in my view.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:08 pm

See, in a democracy, you have to make deals like this if you want to get anything done.
If we can't learn to compromise and make a few concessions here and there to get what we really want, then we'll never get anywhere, things will never change and improve.
If we can't learn to do this, we make anarchy, followed by dictatorship inevitable.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:59 pm

I disagree, in order to make Trade-Offs, both sides have to agree to the same essential premises.

These days, as of 2021, two halves of the USA no longer believe in the same essential premise. Thus concessions are not the way to "progress" at this point.



They started the fight. We (who still believe) will end the fight.
Urwrongx1000
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4385
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Gloominary » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:I disagree, in order to make Trade-Offs, both sides have to agree to the same essential premises.

These days, as of 2021, two halves of the USA no longer believe in the same essential premise. Thus concessions are not the way to "progress" at this point.



They started the fight. We (who still believe) will end the fight.

Actually, you don't disagree with me, because I tend to agree with you.
While reps are far from perfect, with DJT, they've at least taken a few steps in the right direction, with Kamala Harris it's just the reverse, dems have taken a few steps in the wrong direction.
Unfortunately, the liberal elite are now willing to burn the constitution, democracy and the rule of law to seize power, they proved that by colluding and conspiring with terrorists Antifa and BLM.
Altho I'm not as certain as you are, I do tend to think dems together with Never Trumpers and RINOs stole the election.
You can't compromise with an opposition who's willing to commit acts of terror to get their way.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:03 pm

Western Civilization needs to reassert the Constitution. But I believe this time is passing. We have already entered into this "Brave New World".

The Constitution is ripped and burned. We should grieve, mourn, and then move onto the final battle. The Conservative-Right must stoop down to the lowly level of the Liberal-Left and get our hands dirty, as they have already done.


A new Constitution can be reborn after the final victory, until then, Anarchy.
Urwrongx1000
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4385
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Trade-Offs

Postby Zero_Sum » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:02 pm

Depends on the issue at hand, but you should know that they won't negotiate on anything. They won't compromise or settle for anything less other than their own coveted delusions. Sorry to say it, but this thread is a nonstarter.
User avatar
Zero_Sum
Special Commisar Joker
 
Posts: 4099
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm
Location: The People's Republic of the U.S.S.A - My pronouns are 'Fuck You'-


Return to The Sandbox



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users