Pedro's Corner

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Words in strings
In beans and minks
I love them rings
Please take ten bins

Arrive at noon
To shoot the shoon
And fun with rain
Inside a monsoon

I hate when it's slain
Or immersed in maroon
Or mermelade moons
Meows more macaroons

My main man mellow mook
Mislead many moral goons
Meantime more meandering goose
And more chasing after caboose
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm

'Stoose.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Turkey, Sultans and Nationalism

In somewhat recent times, a "Turk" was a reference to all Turkic (aside from Russian and Mongol ones), Arab, Persian, Kurdish, Armenian peoples. "He's a Turk," could have referred to an Osama as much as an Erdogan or a Tankian. This is because the Sultanic order considered itself the ruler of a geographical area, of a group of peoples. The idea was to conquer, retain, and rule over as much as possible. It was a global idea, an idea about imperial power. The idea was to own the world. In fact, the first initiatives towards a state of Israel were undertaken in full good faith and reasonable expectations as negotiations with the sultan. He was being asked to establish a state of Israel as a province of the empire. They are famed for being cruel and terrible, but it was ironically the revolutionary force of young, modernist progressives that ushered in the most terrifying era of Turkish extermination projects. Now a Turk is a person from Turkey, and even then only Turkic people from Turkey (not Kurds, for example). The young Turks, or the Pashas, in standing against the old order were importantly standing against a global mentality, a pluralistic will. The new ideas, largely from Europe, included the sovereignty of a people, Turkey for the Turks. Overthrowing the cruel tyrnats in fact meant disowning the other subjects of the old sultanate. Modernism meant Nationalism. But, since nationalism included seeking all benefits for the nation, the Pashas had no idea of leaving any of their earstwhile brothers to their homes and ruling their own selves. It meant exterminating all who inhabited what were now Turkish national lands. If not extermination, as in the case of the Arabs who held for the Turks a religious significance, then certainly a second rate of citizenry, a lower status within the new nation. But in the case of Kurds and specially Armenians, also Israelis, the dogma became absolute extermination. But another consequence was that all the other ancient subjects got infected with the same ideas, about modernity and nationalistic self-determination. So the aggressive states of Iran, Iraq, Egypt, etc. where born. Nations of people that no longer saw themselves as inhabitants of a planet with a distinct heritage and treasures to contribute, and admittedly a religion to impose, but as island universes that were tasked with dealing with all lesser beings (all non-nationals) with extreme prejudice. Racism was born under the progressives. England tried for a little while to replace the sultanate, but the hounds of hell had been released. Suddenly the leaders were tasked with creating an identity, delineating a supreme "us." The modernists, far from seeking to incorporate into the world, sought to isolate from it.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:49 pm

The original Islamic idea was a Roman idea, an idea about ruling the world, but actually ruling it, not erasing it and filling it with pure Roman blood or whatever.

The Arab empire proper was not racist in the sense we now understand. They had no intention of exterminating anybody. They just wanted to make them their province.

The germ, the destructive idea that eventually turned Islam inevitably into the monstrous suicide of the soul that it is now, is the same as it was for Catholicism. That is, Platonism. The idea of the "proper." Of the imposition of the "correct" on the actual occurring world.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:53 pm

The original Islamic idea was much more like the idea of the stereotypical asshole Spaniard we have now: elegance, honor, manners. But Platonism was always there, at the very inception. As soon as the body lost some of its strength and vigour, it was always inevitably going to consume the host.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 pm

Everything that is good about Christianity / Islam: Judaism, Rome.

Everything that is bad: Plato.

Most common reason to abolish or stand against Christianity / Islam: it is not Platonic enough. From Luther to Enver to Marx to Hitler.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:09 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I mean not that I would ever ask to be owned if I felt helpless. But I see the connection now.

Some men just have it in them.

Or like 50 Cent said: behind the twinkle in your eye, I can see the bitch in you.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:18 am

Stop wasting your time. Play this for an entire day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQHoMB ... gE&index=1
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Consider:

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:33 pm

More Vivaldi now you motherless sons of whores.

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:More Vivaldi now you motherless sons of whores.

You do have an interesting way with words, I’ll give you that.. :lol: very, that part of the world.

Vivaldi.. preferable to Bach, for me, whom is far too much/too condensed per beat.. for my taste.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Bach is sometimes very formulatic.

Like a thesis.

Vivaldi is like a description of a bird's flight pattern.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:09 pm

"Hey albatross, how are you doing?"

"I was in a storm the other day."

"What was that like?"

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:21 pm

Ok lol not really, it was just funny that the piece is called "we are in the middle of a storm."

But anyway, like, this.

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:29 pm

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:33 pm

20201123_181849.jpg
20201123_181849.jpg (127.37 KiB) Viewed 86 times

What do you think?
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Hot diggitty, Neptune is now direct.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:12 pm

First of all, when you see the cover, you're like I'm about to listen to the hardcorest black metal album ever produced.

But then once you realize you are listening to none other than the inimitable Ralph Stanley, God keep his soul, you realize it's not really an album dedicated to church or religion. It is an album dedicated to his mother.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Yeah whatever it's a great album.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby phoneutria » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 pm

u ok?
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Sure.

Why?
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:05 pm

I heard the "in the pines" song on this album, and it reminded me of that one. And it really is good. Those guys fit proudly in the blues and bluegrass tradition.

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:07 pm

This album, by the way, the Jimmy Martin one, is an interesting one, because those guys stood out for very heavy metal banjo pickin' that would make Slayer seem slow and clumsy. but that album is nice and slow, and you get to savour he melodies and the lyrics.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby phoneutria » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 pm

phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

PreviousNext

Return to The Sandbox