Pedro's Corner

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 pm

You dirty fucking commie.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby MagsJ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:02 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:When you were reading Shakespeare or Marx or Nietzsche, you weren't throwing jokes at them. You were listening and, perhaps in your hearth of yourself, having some serious words with them.

Way to go Pedro, in missing ALL the points.. fella, what!?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20857
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Story of my life...
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 pm

What points?

jesus christ......
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 pm

diu gau lan tsat hai
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby MagsJ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:59 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:What points?

jesus christ......

I guess one cannot give one’s all or one’s truthisms.. over the internet, as one is erring.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20857
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:02 pm

I don't know nothing anymore.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby MagsJ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:10 pm

_
Why are you questioning someone’s want for wit?

Why aren’t you just letting it be? you be you, and she be she.. why? I don’t get it.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20857
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:27 pm

I don't know.

Someone come into Pedro's corner, Pedro gets the idea to address them.

I didn't mean to be rude or nothin.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 pm

In the mean time I wrote a rap

Idiotic
Presocratic
Anionic
Big bang boom
Not so loud, once you heard it
Forget the herd, follow the bionic
Transient message encoded in Florence
Lawrence
Of Arabia knew the phosphorence
Of the green specks of sand in the midnight forest
Chorus
Singing out the praises of a brand new Horus
I never gave no good goddamn about Dolores
Sod in my teeth, blood on the street
Kit kat break your bones on the reef
I stalk your turf like Tyrannosaurus
Don't teach me, I don't need a thesaurus
All I need is meat and a mat on the flooris
Call me Clovis
Cause wherever I go
Wherever I be
The king is still gonna be me
Don't need no throne or no queen
Or to make a dolla green
But watch me as I gather me all three
And make a beautiful ring for thee
I don't care about decorum
I been dead three, eight times, I will go for eighteen
Slick sheen
Face mean
But whatever happens I will know like "ipsum lorem"
That I was a fool for losing thee
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby MagsJ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I don't know.

Someone come into Pedro's corner, Pedro gets the idea to address them.

I didn't mean to be rude or nothin.

Lol

What do you think about what I said though?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20857
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:23 am

That, once I heard you say it, you're right.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 am

I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep.

Goodnight everybody.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby phoneutria » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:13 am

i was most definitely throwing jokes at all of them
specially my homeboy shakes
who just loved to write about nothing
and sometimes about things
and dying
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 3677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:55 am

iambiguous wrote:My own rather substantive post:

Pedro I Rengel wrote: Just be honest and tell us what you really think about communism. I promise to treat you with respect. As an adversary, but with respect.


iambiguous wrote:But my own understanding of honesty here is that any particular individual's thoughts about Communism are rooted existentially in his or her particular life -- the experiences they have had in regard to it, the relationships they have had which impacted their views on it, the particular information, knowledge and ideas they came across that shaped and molded their opinions in the direction of one rather than another political prejudice.

Also, the fact that, in my view, different sides are able to concoct different arguments predicated on different assumptions about the human condition: https://www.thebalance.com/communism-ch ... es-3305589

No one side can make all the arguments of the other side go away.

In fact, you can start with a basic question: do human interactions revolve more around the individual or the community? And down through the ages there has been considerable evidence for both. But the objectivists at both political extremes refuse to acknowledge that. Me, I do. Which is why my own existential leap is in the general vicinity or "moderation, negotiation and compromise". Legislation that revolves around elements of both capitalism and socialism.

But that's the last thing objectivists of your ilk want to hear. You can promise to treat others with respect but the underlying assumption is that you are right about it. And the respect often collapses when others aren't finally willing to see things your way. Almost all of the particularly arrogant objectivists here reach that point where they get flustered when others don't "see the light". Then they commence with the huffing and the puffing.

Pedro I Rengel wrote: If you continue to hold that "you don't see opposing sides" and "you are out to confront objectivists of any sort," it will be difficult to take you seriously.


Of course I see opposing sides. But what many objectivists on either side don't or won't see are the points that I raise. They have so much invested mentally, emotionally and psychologically in being "one of us" [the good guys], that feeling anything analogous to a fractured and fragmented "I" is what actually perturbs them most.


And his rather poor rebuttal:

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I got ya iam. You know it, I know it, everybody sawr it knows it. You are just a dishonest commie peddling your propaganda.

Anyway, my cockyness here is hurting me in my trading, in which cockyness does not help. We will have to hope that what concern over my dignity and self-respect vis a vis the female creature didn't accomplish, concern over my finances will.

See you all later. Much later, I hope.


And now [I guess} he bids us adieu.

Objectivists!!! 8)



Pedro I Rengel wrote:Iam. If you have your own prejudices, which you have outright claimed you have, and prejudices are ideas about what is true or not, and you have also said that what one person considers true must, if true, be true objectively for everybody...


Again, let's bring this down to earth.

John is a heroin dealer. This has been established as true. Objectively true. Jim, his father, can have the personal opinion that John is not a heroin dealer. But this, in turn, can be established as not true. Not true objectively. There are no personal opinions here. Jim can say, "I'm prejudiced here but my son is not a heroin dealer." Okay, but that doesn't make it less true objectively that his son is in fact a heroin dealer.

Suppose, however, Jim actually supplied his son with the heroin to deal. When asked why he said, "I believe laws against the use of heroin are wrong. I believe it is my moral right to use it. The government should have no right to tell us what we can or cannot put into our own bodies."

His wife, Jane, however insist that the use of heroin is wrong. It is immoral. The government is morally obligated to pass laws against its use and enforce them.

Now, these I call political prejudices. Why? Because unlike the capacity to establish whether John is using and selling heroin, I don't believe there is an argument able to establish objectively whether the use and distribution of heroin is inherently/necessarily immoral. And something the government is obligated to prohibit.

I also argue that any particular individual's moral and political opinion about the use of heroin is more likely to be rooted in the arguments I make in my signature threads, than in an ethical/philosophical assessment able to pin down what is in fact right and wrong here definitively.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382

tiny nietzsche: what's something that isn't nothing, but still feels like nothing?
iambiguous: a post from Pedro?
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 38452
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:53 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Well, maybe individual subjects are the ones who profess to know things, but the things that they profess to know [assuming human autonomy] are either true objectively for all of us or they are not.


Why not?
Last edited by Pedro I Rengel on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:04 am

- duplicate -
Last edited by Pedro I Rengel on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 am

phoneutria wrote:i was most definitely throwing jokes at all of them
specially my homeboy shakes
who just loved to write about nothing
and sometimes about things
and dying


I would love to hear some of those.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby MagsJ » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:16 pm

_
”Don't teach me, I don't need a thesaurus” Yea.. about that shit.

“All I need is meat and a mat on the flooris” :|

:lol: @flooris
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20857
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Well, let's start this Friday morning slow...

User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

I can't want to hear those jokes?!
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby phoneutria » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:31 pm

perhaps thou too wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 3677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby iambiguous » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Yes, this is Pedro's Corner and it's probably not seemly to humiliate someone on their own turf. But he leaves me no choice:

iambiguous wrote:My own rather substantive post:


Again, let's bring this down to earth.

John is a heroin dealer. This has been established as true. Objectively true. Jim, his father, can have the personal opinion that John is not a heroin dealer. But this, in turn, can be established as not true. Not true objectively. There are no personal opinions here. Jim can say, "I'm prejudiced here but my son is not a heroin dealer." Okay, but that doesn't make it less true objectively that his son is in fact a heroin dealer.

Suppose, however, Jim actually supplied his son with the heroin to deal. When asked why he said, "I believe laws against the use of heroin are wrong. I believe it is my moral right to use it. The government should have no right to tell us what we can or cannot put into our own bodies."

His wife, Jane, however insist that the use of heroin is wrong. It is immoral. The government is morally obligated to pass laws against its use and enforce them.

Now, these I call political prejudices. Why? Because unlike the capacity to establish whether John is using and selling heroin, I don't believe there is an argument able to establish objectively whether the use and distribution of heroin is inherently/necessarily immoral. And something the government is obligated to prohibit.

I also argue that any particular individual's moral and political opinion about the use of heroin is more likely to be rooted in the arguments I make in my signature threads, than in an ethical/philosophical assessment able to pin down what is in fact right and wrong here definitively.


And his rather poor rebuttal:


Pedro I Rengel wrote:
iambiguous wrote:let's bring this down to earth.


Yes let's.



Pedro I Rengel wrote:
iambiguous wrote: Well, maybe individual subjects are the ones who profess to know things, but the things that they profess to know [assuming human autonomy] are either true objectively for all of us or they are not.


Why not?


Oh, and I had already responded to his "why not?" here above as well:

See what I mean?

A simple question from him: why not?

To which I gave him my anything but simple answer:


We'll need a context.

How about this thread. I believe that it does in fact exist. I claim to know this. And I believe that I am able to demonstrate to others that it does in fact exist for them too. They can in fact go on to their computer, and in fact log into ILP, and in fact click on this thread, and in fact read these words.

On the other hand, suppose I claim to know that my arguments on this thread are far and away more rational than yours. And that if others wish to be thought of as rational human beings they have to claim this knowledge as well.

So, how would I go about demonstrating that? How would this professed knowledge not be just my own subjective personal opinion rooted in dasein?

How are your opinions about me here not the same?

He responds to none that, but just keeps repeating the simple question: why not?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382

tiny nietzsche: what's something that isn't nothing, but still feels like nothing?
iambiguous: a post from Pedro?
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 38452
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Now, Iam, if you had said "Well, maybe individual subjects are the ones who profess to know things, but the things that they profess to know [assuming human autonomy] are either depending on the context true objectively for all of us or they are not or some thing in between or neither, again, depending on the context."

That would be different.

But you dinna did ya?

You said

the things that [individual subjects] profess to know

are (without need of context, simply)

either

true objectively for all

or

they are not
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 pm

My question was:
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6613
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sandbox



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users