Pedro's Corner

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Re: Pedro's Corner

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:16 am

origami wrote:

I get it now.

i'm pretty sure this guy fucked his teenage cousin but still good music. i saw the grateful dead in 1995 and for the encore they did great balls of fire
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am

origami wrote:
20220817_130202.jpg

i'm not here to tell anyone how to live their life but i can't think of any reason to justify being this hairy my man
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:19 am

All gringo white boys are boy scouts at heart.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:49 pm

origami wrote:
20220817_130202.jpg

If you were going for Son of Zappa, you nailed it. Or God did. Or Zappa did.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus

Excuse #2 why I’m not dating: I want to be able to say I haven’t shaved in a decade.

Excuse #1 “I wouldn’t want to join any club that would have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Excuse #3: I wouldn’t want to get too attached right before Mutually Assured Destruction.

Follow me for more excuses.
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm

Good man, Zappa. A little too clowny for my taste, but good man. Intelligent. Obssessed with excellence.

He liked about the hippies what I liked. The artistry, the freedom of spirit.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm

I don't think he was too impressed with the whole "revenge against my father" thing. Which is, of course, what communism is.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:11 pm

Modernity, you know? What can one do?
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:42 pm

Here's the truth. The intellect, including politics, is not for everyone. A person must be prepared for it. I understand what the Masons were thinking, that if they educate everybody then they can subvert the base of power of the old Goth principates. They found royalty distasteful and I agree with them. They also had going for them that it had never been tried, so reasons against it were all hypothetical. But what they in effect did was force on a lot of people a discipline that they have no preparation for.

How can one hold against the communist and the fascist that they hate philosophy? They had no business in it in the first place.

How can one hold against the modern university graduate a simplification of history and science? How can they but resent a task that they never had a hope of measuring up to? What reaction other than paranoia and panic could have been expected?

Some things there is just nothing better than a father for. A father is always equipped to teach a child the most basic truth, that the world is dangerous and wants to kill you. Everything else, philosophy, science, history, politics, is considerably downstream from that. You take children from their homes and force them into classrooms to grapple with things they cannot understand, not having learned the first lesson, never having had the opportunity to learn to cope with a dangerous world that wants to kill you, and all they will do is try to use it to defang the world. That is not what learning is for. There is no defanging the world. Men who do not have a relationship with their violence, women that don't have a relationship with their sexuality.

Even today, even as humanity is, men and women are in a position to teach it to their children if they cease being taken from them and placed in classrooms. True instincts cannot be propagandized away, this is the truth they desperately seek to hide. They want to convince people that it is too late, that the animal has been killed, that the only way out is forward. But it is not the propaganda that robs people of their upbringing, the propaganda is a pantomime. It is the actual factual material reality of spending all of their time with schoolteachers and none witht heir parents. It's not only about time, it's about responsibility. A parent is robbed of responsibility over their children (though many will think they feel it as relief), the responsibility is somebody else's, so even the time they do have with them is not time that will be used for upbringing. It is just in-between time or, as in home-schooling, delegated time.

This is also why children raised in the streets, even though they were robbed of their parents, are always healthier and smarter and more life loving than their schooled conterparts. Without a father to guide them through it or teach it to them, they were at least nevertheless in a very real way taught the first lesson.

Philosophy is beautiful. Thought is beautiful. Because life is beautiful.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 pm

I'm not saying the Masons invented nihilism, but they did institutionalize it.

I'm also not saying Masons are or were themselves nihilists. It's science, it's the science, experiments go wrong.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:13 pm

I don't mean it as an insult or even a mark on the Masons, nor as praise or vindication for the Catholic Church, when I say that, in the end, in the struggle between Masons and the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church was right.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:21 pm

What I think the Masons failed to understand, and this is probably attributable to the fact that they were usually very young men, is the wider arc. Their enemy was the royalty, I think this is emminently clear. They stood against the church mainly because they saw it as an arm of royal power. This may have been a redeemable view given a snapshot of what they were witnessing. But royalty is and always was also the enemy of the Church. The church was just much older at the game, understood who the Goth princes were much better. They understood how far off the endgame was. It's like an anarchist today standing against Republicans because they are antiauthoritarian. Republicanism is just anarchism on a wider scale. Anarchism that takes it seriously and plays for the win.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:29 pm

I hope this also explains why I simply do not stand against Masons.

I have deep respect Masons.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:42 pm

If something is true it will withstand the fire of reason.

If it’s made up bullcrap, they will restrict it from peer review.

And that’s all I gotta say about that.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus

Excuse #2 why I’m not dating: I want to be able to say I haven’t shaved in a decade.

Excuse #1 “I wouldn’t want to join any club that would have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Excuse #3: I wouldn’t want to get too attached right before Mutually Assured Destruction.

Follow me for more excuses.
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:53 pm

Little lady, I have no peers.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:14 pm

It's funny how only the subtle movies manage to bring out the unbearable tragedy in life.

Only the Greeks knew how to be heavy handed and effective.

It's funny, isn't it? They do the opposite. They bring out the subtlety in brutality.

Is the moment when Ulisses bests every contender for his wife by a wide margin and then massacres them all not one of the subtlest moments in story telling history?
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:21 am

There's two kinds of people in this world:

People that believe that humanity has not developed a fraction of a percent of its potential, and people that believe it has developed 100% of it and from here on out it's all eating shitting and sleeping.

So you can understand what I mean, the people that talk about interstellar colonization and technological progress are the second type. They are not hinking about humanity unfolding, they are worried about running out of space to eat shit and sleep in.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:23 am

Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:56 am

pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:08 pm

Yeah, I mean your main thesis is sound. What I keep trying to reiterate is that it just isn't guaranteed. If it were guaranteed, the share price would not be 11$.

Some big money moving out of some interesting places. I think the recession hit the big guys harder than they will want to admit, and they are trying to be as low key about it as possible. This is the main thing that I think hangs above Carnivale. I mean, sure, big guys will not want an erstwhile money machine to go down, but the financiers themselves might be in a tight spot.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:18 pm

By the way, that was already priced in. Notice that the share price went down after that announcement instead of up.

People were like yeah so?
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:20 pm

It tells you that the rest of the market is probably thinking what I told you. If the last new issue wasn't a bottom, it's all fucked anyway. Having them avoid further new issues is priced into that bottom, it's the only reason anybody bought it.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:57 pm

Ayn Rand's mistake was the same mistake that Hayek and many others made. By the way, Breitbart didn't make it. Which is thinking that you have to propose an alternate ideology to communism. This is ridiculous, it's like proposing that you have to offer a crazy person some historical character other than Napoleon to believe that they are.

Needless to say, both Rand and Hayek were very intelligent persons. But they were suceptible to the emotional blackmail of communism.

The ideology of communism isn't what convinces people anyway, that is the big thing they missed. They were like "yeah, offer an alternate ideology and we can convince them instead." No, what convinces people about communism is the sense of self righteousness that is the only emotional satisfaction of a person riddled with resentment. And that, neither Rand nor Hayek, essencially healthy people, were ever ever going to do better than the commies. Period.

Breitbart, on the other hand, I think understood the essencially reactionary nature of conservatism. There is a healthy people, going about its business, and then there is a disease that comes up which is communism. There isn't a person shopping for the correct ideology.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:00 pm

No further proof is needed of this thesis than that absolutely nothing about communism makes sense. It takes seconds to concoct a competing ideology that is more coherent and meets the ostensible goals of communism better. The ideology is not a reason, it is an excuse.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:25 am

It's stupid. Why should I tear up every time?

https://vocaroo.com/1e8xjdLcuBXD
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:12 am

To the question: was Ingmar Bergman a philosopher? The answer has to be: yes.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to The Sandbox