Series and Shows

Share and discuss.

Re: Series and Shows

Postby MagsJ » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:18 am

_
Agatha Christie’s Poirot..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:20 am

Cobra Kai (available on Netflix and the illegal dark web freebie sites) Seasons 1-3
Great show. The fight choreography at the end of season 2 was epic.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Jakob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Nothing really beats the Sopranos, and I think well over 50 percent of that is casting. James Gandolfini has surpassed Brando, de Niro, Pacino and all of them by several laps and acted circles around them, going places no stage or movie actor has ever imagined. And he's not the only one in that show giving unprecedented performances.

It's one of those things where humans get to act out what they really are, beyond the humanity - what they are in terms of the Ancient Game (Life),
What theyve truly inherited from those millions of ancestral beings.

Here's David Chase explaining how he wrote the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtW0e-JW8Cc

Have you seen it? How many times? Whats your favorite scenes and performances? Best lines?
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:16 pm

On a more mundane level of quality, Pablo Escobars portrayal in Narcos is very convincing.

Pablito.jpg
Pablito.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 116 times

I honestly had little to no idea about the character of Escobar until I saw this show. Most I knew really, was that in the 90s, when I was fan of the Colombian football team (with players such as Valderama, Rincon, Asprilla and Higuita), a player called Escobar made an own goal and was subsequently shot dead.
It seems however that Escobar was one of these peole who starts out with genuinely good intentions and, having these spat upon, turns to a completely remorseless avenging machine.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:20 pm

Another very interesting video. Vince Gilligan is much more of a cowboy than I had realized. It makes sense.

I like Better Call Saul as well, I was disappointed however by El Camino, the feature they made as a sequel to BB. It was sad, they even had Walter White come in for a flashback, and apparently the actor had refused to shave his head for such a small part, so they pasted a prosthetic skin on top of his hair as a result of which he looked like an extraterrestrial - worse, half of the screentime went to the least appealing character in the show, Todd.
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:23 pm

The first season of The Crown is not bad.
The second season starts off so pompously predictable and postmodernly "boldly self-depreciating" that I had to turn it off after the third or fourth line.

This is how I judge books, as well - if the writer doesn't clarify to me in a few sentences that s/he is exceedingly intelligent (I dont mean the academic intelligence, rather the dirty psychological, "real life" kind) and willing to put it all out there, I wont bother. Usually.

Shows I didnt like:
Prisonbreak couldnt draw me in.
Sons of Anarchy is too nerdy to really be a biker thing
Fargo is good, but, season 3 gets very difficult to get through with the increasingly fetishistic irony about shitty humans
Peaky Blinders bores my socks off
Lucifer, Suits - interchangeable shows about metrosexuals

Back to whats good

Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Jakob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:03 pm

Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby perpetualburn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:52 am

"Your Honor"... Almost like "Breaking Bad" set in New Orleans to the extent that Bryan Cranston is the same adrenaline-fueled engine holding our attention as the drama around him unfolds. It's like the perfect follow up role everyone has been waiting for from Cranston after "Breaking Bad." Cranston also fulfills a similar father-saving role to his son.
As a pillar of rising smoke did my angel condescend and appear, standing without reserve on the exhausted banks of infinite sorrow.

http://knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
perpetualburn

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:21 am

_
The Da Vinci Code - The Greatest Story Ever Sold:
How the Da Vinci Code forced a counter-attack from the church and the art world.

After Dan Brown's publishing phenomenon The Da Vinci Code was cleared of plagiarism charges, this documentary explores the climate which has permitted a fictional story to make such an effective challenge to conventional history that it has forced a counter-attack from the Church, the art world and academics. Has Brown cracked the most difficult code of all our 21st-century cultural DNA?

Contributors include Richard Leigh, author of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, art critic Brian Sewell, novelist Sarah Dunant, columnist David Aaronovitch and Opus Dei director Jack Valero.

_
Dan Brown asserted much as fact.. says one documentary commentator.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:53 pm

The Rain (2018) In Danish, subtitles available.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:58 am

perpetualburn wrote:"Your Honor"... Almost like "Breaking Bad" set in New Orleans to the extent that Bryan Cranston is the same adrenaline-fueled engine holding our attention as the drama around him unfolds. It's like the perfect follow up role everyone has been waiting for from Cranston after "Breaking Bad." Cranston also fulfills a similar father-saving role to his son.

Oh that actually looks very good. As in entertaining.

mnEVyQg.jpg
mnEVyQg.jpg (85.39 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Im watching the Sopranos, once over, this stuff is like Caravaggio.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
Before the Light - Philosophy 77 - sumofalltemples - The Magickal Tree of Life Academy

Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:38 am

_
Foyles War:

Has been airing since 2002, but this is the first time I’ve watched it.

10 out of 10, for the acting and storyline, and excellent cast.
MagsJ

Previous

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment