Postby Berkley Babes » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 pm

"Plastic Soul" by Mondo Cozmo.

It's my new favorite.

Please let your ears have it.

Berkley Babes

Re: If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm

promethean75 wrote:https://youtu.be/GrE22Lw1vmQ

..having Spring-specific hay-fever, myself.. which is mild, but still annoying, compared to non-specific-pollen hay-fever, I can empathise somewhat.. for those with the latter.

Springtime Stroll.. amongst the airborne pollen..

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:38 am

Still in Motor City.

Thought this was a song by Janet Jackson.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 pm

How does English techno compare to that of Detroit?

Here's one of my favorites:

There's like 40 versions of this track. This one is Pacific State 707. My personal favorite is 98 version:

One can say they are cheating because they are using sax.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:57 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:How does English techno compare to that of Detroit?

I didn’t know that Brit techno was influenced and came about, by the Detroit music scene.. I wasn’t really enamoured with either. Can anyone tell who they were influenced by?

The Indie pop/rock and rave scenes were in full flow here, then.. I danced to this, this, and this track a lot.. amongst others, like this one.. the precursors to Groove Armada, perhaps. :-k

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:20 am

A daily dose of happiness in a solitary song.. just once a day should be enough to help you get through your day.

..and this one’s to fall asleep to.. as the necessity to sleep eventually crosses my path, to the sound of chillout dubstep.

MagsJ

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

MagsJ wrote:I didn’t know that Brit techno was influenced and came about, by the Detroit music scene.. I wasn’t really enamoured with either. Can anyone tell who they were influenced by?

The Indie pop/rock and rave scenes were in full flow here, then.. I danced to this, this, and this track a lot.. amongst others, like this one.. the precursors to Groove Armada, perhaps. :-k

It doesn't quite sound like it, so if you ask me, it's questionable to what extent it's influenced by Detroit techno. The official narrative is that the word "techno" did not enter popular use until around 1988 when Techno! The New Sound of Detroit compilation was released. That might be true but that does not mean that European techno was influenced by it to a significant extent. Detroit techno is nothing more than either house a.k.a. disco in the post-disco era (Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson) or electro (Juan Atkins.) Interestingly, the compilation was initially planned to be released under the title "The House Sound of Detroit". So they knew they were doing nothing new, but they decided to change it later on, probably for marketing reasons. Much easier to create new words than to create new music.

Here's some industrial EBM for a change:

Colored Music - Heartbeat was released in 1981 and I think back then it was called New Wave or something like that. Nowadays, it would be called "progressive house".

The Creative Technology Institute - Dancing Ghosts was released in 1984 (made by former Throbbing Gristle members) and back then it was simply called electro (I think). Nowadays, it would be called "trance".
Last edited by Magnus Anderson on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:46 pm

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 pm

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
valueontologyforsuperIQs - sumofalltemples - The Magical Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:It doesn't quite sound like it, so if you ask me, it's questionable to what extent it's influenced by Detroit techno. The official narrative is that the word "techno" did not enter popular use until around 1988 when Techno! The New Sound of Detroit compilation was released. That might be true but that does not mean that European techno was influenced by it to a significant extent. Detroit techno is nothing more than either house a.k.a. disco in the post-disco era (Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson) or electro (Juan Atkins.)

..only track I can tolerate.. out of that lot :lol: Derrick May ..danced to it plenty, in the very-early 90s.

Never saw the appeal in Inner City’s’Big Fun’.. I hate overly-happy songs. lol

I prefer this version of this club classic. lol

Interestingly, the compilation was initially planned to be released under the title "The House Sound of Detroit". So they knew they were doing nothing new, but they decided to change it later on, probably for marketing reasons. Much easier to create new words than to create new music.

Here's some industrial EBM for a change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvTmmZdrhc

EBM? I know what Industrial is.. not a fan, but there’s always one or two exceptions.. in any genre.

Colored Music - Heartbeat was released in 1981 and I think back then it was called New Wave or something like that. Nowadays, it would be called "progressive house".

Brit New Wave was completely different to the European version of the genre.. we never quite got the appeal of you guys to Techno and other similar sounds, a little.. sure, but an entire night of that? Nah!

The Euro Techno guys and the Brit Rave girls, and never did that twain ever meet.. come party with us, they’d say.. not to that, we replied.

The Creative Technology Institute - Dancing Ghosts was released in 1984 (made by former Throbbing Gristle members) and back then it was simply called electro (I think). Nowadays, it would be called "trance".

Not bad!

Some Electro Dance, or otherwise known as Trance, by The Prodigy.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:35 pm

Two tunes by Chase & Status.. one x Liam Bailey, the other.. x Bugzy Malone.

A more 80s reggae sound, to this Dubstep/Drum & Bass track..

Similar to Bakar, in the Ska/retro-Reggae Brit vibe..

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:18 pm

When Keith Flint dances @2.20 ..and the tall guy :romance-hearteyes:

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:

Nice..

MagsJ

Postby promethean75 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:37 am

the original

now put the Dan in a studio and you get this diamond

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:06 am

The year is still 1989.

Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:49 am

Another unreleased one originally to be put on Gaucho, but never made it for whatever reason. Two other things I forgot to mention about the difficulty of recording this album. I'll tell you only because you are genuinely interested. Becker finds his girl dead from heroin overdose in the apartment (in addition to being hit by the taxi), and both Becker and Fagen were stressed out over owing one more album to fulfill a contract. Everything was working against them.

Some time after this they broke for a decade. Becker moves to Hawaii to farm avocados and produce two solo albums (which aren't incredibly good), while Fagen continues writing solo stuff.

But only time will tell if you got the bear, or the bear got u.
https://youtu.be/wu8dMG0PB-4
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:13 am

This is just wrong on so many levels. Deacon Blues is wayyyy to deep for these two. Id'a directed em to Peg or Hey Nineteen... something much more manageable.

https://youtu.be/9cujgx0aMQg
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:37 pm

https://streamable.com/qco8pe

With stocking face... I bought a gun
The plan was set... the plan was done...

https://youtu.be/DSfiPrhpeF8
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:41 pm

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:19 am

"Musically, it is a tonally sophisticated and structurally complex work that was praised on its release as the most ambitious track the duo had ever attempted. The song's lyrics center around the interior monologue of a man who runs to the title character to escape the stresses of his life "up on the hill." Fagen claimed that it was inspired by a relative of someone he knew, who had married a Korean woman named Aja. He has described the song as being about the "tranquility that can come of a quiet relationship with a beautiful woman."

personel:

Donald Fagen – lead vocals, synthesizer, police whistle
Steve Gadd – drums
Victor Feldman – percussion, vibraphone
Chuck Rainey – bass guitar
Walter Becker, Denny Dias and Larry Carlton – guitars
Michael Omartian – piano
Joe Sample – electric piano
Wayne Shorter – tenor saxophone
Timothy B. Schmit – backing vocals

promethean75
Philosopher