If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Share and discuss.

Re: If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:The whole album is pretty sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGp1ib ... PJ&index=1

no ur sick

Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:40 pm

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:07 pm

promethean75 wrote:That whole album jams and the peppers were one of the few bands I would listen to over and over and over again. It was a grunge phase around 20. Jane's addiction, Primus, sound garden; same CDs in my car for like a whole year.

Incidentally I underwent a profound cultural change when I ended up in the boone Asheville side of the state. Widespread Panic, Phish, the string cheese incident, refried salmon, Dave Matthews, rusted root, etc.

I became a woodsman on a 21 speed specialized and lived out of a north face bag. Fifty percent of my time was spent at a coffee shop playing bongos and wash boards with a blue grass band. It was a wonderful period of my life.

I would eat organic burritos the size of a football for six bucks. And the Appalachian state University library was incredible. Free computers and everything. It was a neo-hippies paradise. They even had a 'hospitality house' where u could take showers and eat meals for free.

I lived between a Volkswagen Westphalia, a tent, and a series of college girl couches for almost eight years straight.... then went back again for another couple years at 31. Best memories I got, bruh, besides the San Jose period at 15.

this sounds like half the people in colorado
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:53 pm

like in denver you're allowed to just put up a fucking tent on the sidewalk. it's all good. there are "homeless" people everywhere just camping. but...you can tell that a lot of them are just roaming around types. young, normal looking people who are just out there doing their thing.

when they had the all star game at coors field, the cops made them all move to a park over near capitol hill. but then after that they just come back. they aren't all bumming money or anything, some, but not most. they're just out there camping on the sidewalks. the shit cracks me up. clouds of weed smoke coming out of tents everywhere. it's nuts.

also check this out....

https://www.cobizmag.com/denver-is-the- ... n-america/

it's a lot different than birmingham. in birmingham they pretty much arrest all the homeless people, but they also have a murder every day.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:41 pm

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:19 am

Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:08 pm

Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby promethean75 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:37 pm

https://youtu.be/3RyLc-mR2Fw

Hedvig Mollestad Trio
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:48 pm

promethean75 wrote:

Hedvig Mollestad Trio

The solo kinda bangs.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby promethean75 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:51 pm

https://youtu.be/-5Kpf8JIIDA

Listen for the dude to go 'riiight!'. Lol. That's jazz musician's lingo for being locked in.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:11 pm

Bro. I didn't know this band existed. Why didn't anybody say something? Did y'all know about these guys? Andy? This is like THE quintessential Indy prog rock band if I ever heard one, and it's all new. I feel like this chick has brought prog rock back with some authority.

And the drummer uses a china plate like bruford, too?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedvig_ ... _Thomassen

Just listen to random songs in the background and the sweet spots will catch ur ear. But don't focus on it, cuz you'll get burned out to fast. Don't try to listen.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:55 pm

promethean75 wrote:Bro. I didn't know this band existed. Why didn't anybody say something? Did y'all know about these guys? Andy? This is like THE quintessential Indy prog rock band if I ever heard one, and it's all new. I feel like this chick has brought prog rock back with some authority.

And the drummer uses a china plate like bruford, too?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedvig_ ... _Thomassen

Just listen to random songs in the background and the sweet spots will catch ur ear. But don't focus on it, cuz you'll get burned out to fast. Don't try to listen.

I listened to the first one and it kinda worked like you said, just switch it off, catch the magistral solo, not be too annoyed at the pointless repetition before and after. But I end up with a kind of annoyed aftertaste after.

This girl should have found herself righteous individuals as inspired as her, the band is just lukewarm.

But the solo was surely righteous. Surely righteous.

She would have been a metal legend back in the day.

Playing with Black Flag or something. Some people that can match her spirit. But then sometimes it's the failing of the lead him or herself. They are control freak and need submissive bandmates, step on their own hose.

Fuck it, I'll give a couple other tracks a try.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:47 pm

I've been through around sixty songs so far in Amazon. Here's five I'd put in my favorites.

Laughing John
Magic Moshroom
First Thing to Pop is the Eye
In The Court of the Trolls
Indian Driving

Still Leo Flash' is my favorite so far. It's got a trademark crimsony sound with those ugly diminished chords. Could almost sound like Crimson's 'Red' rearranged.

I can promise u that this trio greatly appreciated the Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, Jeff Sipes trio, because they - hedvig mollestad - sound like a more amateur version of the other.... so much so that it's almost identical style improvisation. I bet you could dig up somewhere her either writing or talking about that influence. King crimson is obvious. Mahavishnu sounding too.

Lol go listen to Crimson's 'one more red nightmare' song beginning.... then listen to Leo Flash'.

Me and my guys did the same shit. Hahahahahaha. We were so blown away by how badass that song was ('red' too), we tried to figure out something like it and call it our own.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:04 pm

No doubt tho. Music like this is listened to differenty. Some demands detailed attention, others only peripheral attention.

It is the blend of irritatingly long solos and hidden, unexpected sweet spots in the groove, that is so frustrating about this genre. You have to just let it play in the back and trust your ear to alert u when something cool happens.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Sweet spot at 4:06 in Leo Flash'

https://streamable.com/dezruk

I need to inform uncle Bobby and uncle Billy (guitarist and drummer for KC) of this band immediately. This is absolute gold.

U see what I mean tho. A good prog band hides spots like this as if they were Easter eggs.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Gwen Stephani and Courtney Love. Behold her, and kneel before Hedvig....
Attachments
968.jpg
968.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 162 times
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Somebody commission pHoNEuTriA to draw that, man. It'll get sold because there's a yuge fan base, maybe not immediately tho. I'll pitch in when I get some dough. I'm fixin to go back to work in a couple weeks.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:42 pm

Shouldn't be tremendously, tremendously expensive because there's not a lot of hair. That's what graphite pencil artists hate the most. Hair.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:50 pm

Meno_
breathless

Postby promethean75 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Oh snap, I axed Alexa to play alternative 90s rock and she put Billy 'temper tantrum' Corgan, the angry boy next door, on me. Gotta hand to em tho the shit still jams....

the world is a vampire

set to dra-e-a-e-ain....
Last edited by promethean75 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Double post
promethean75
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:48 am

Very much into tango tonight.

https://youtu.be/lQ-x-oaMVaI
Meno_
breathless

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:03 am

promethean75 wrote:Andy?

Have no idea who this woman is; but I can tell you, I do feel that part at 4:06.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:28 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:The problem with dubstep is that it was so very excellent, such an extreme accomplishment, that the bros quickly caught on to it, and so..

On the upside, I believe it had a determining impact on establishing trap music.

What's the difference between dubstep and Skrillex? I mean, isn't Strillex dubstep and dubstep Skrillex? Or is he brostep? I have know idea why "dub" and why "step" but I am even at a greater loss as to why "bro".

If Ishkur is to be trusted, this is dub and this is bro. I can definitely see why brostep is more popular. Gramatik's piece is much better even though he's generaly neither dub nor bro nor step of any kind. But that's Gramatik. Many other pieces on Ishkur's list sound almost exactly like dub e.g. Godzilla. All in all, very little difference. Brostep seems to be merely more complicated, elaborate and aggressive and that's all.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:48 am

promethean75 wrote:No check this sound out. This shit hits bruh. Listen to the groove/song, it takes a second to get going... and check out that little bridge at :45.

https://youtu.be/vDok_QWwmRU

That's Justice - Genesis. Better than dubstep, that's for sure. Stuff gets real right at 2:17.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment