If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Share and discuss.

Re: If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Postby origami » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:42 pm

I was never part of a scene. I think if I had woken up one day and discovered I was part of a scene, I would have procured a shotgun and gone the way of Hemingway.

I'm a collector.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:00 am

Apparently they call this hard trance. So that's where the terms hardcore and hardstyle come from. The origins of the boom boom boom.

Gotta love a clean sound. Recognize many of these as well.

Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:08 pm

Hard trance is basically either acid trance or late 90's supersaw trance mixed with hardcore. It follows a very specific formula, so you can't miss it.

Personally, I prefer Ferry Corsten's trance (such as Gouryella.) Although Ferry pioneered the supersaw type of trance, I think it was mostly because he was in the right place at the right time. Other people have surpassed him ever since (such as Super8, here and here.)

Back to hard trance silliness.

They used to play this on VIVA.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 am

MagsJ wrote:I have yet to watch the film that accompanies this song.. tomorrow? I might have seen it.. decades back, but I was far too young to recall it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkqKzgF_eJ4

Version.. live, with a nice rap sequence, in it.

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:13 am

_
Who is Mr Fingers.. :-s

Mystery of Love · Mr. Fingers

Amnesia

℗ Alleviated Records and Music

Released on: 2011-01-01
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Magnus Anderson » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:56 pm

I don't know who Mr. Fingers is but one can always ask Discogs. Apparently, he's some black dude born in Chicago which immediately tells me he's gay and that he's one of the pioneers of house music. Is that true? Let's go to Wikipedia:

Larry Heard (born May 31, 1960)[1] is an American DJ, record producer and musician[1] who has recorded solo under various names, most notably Mr. Fingers. He is widely known as a pioneering figure in 1980s house music, and was leader of the influential group Fingers Inc., whose 1988 album Another Side was the first long-form house LP. He is regarded as a progenitor of the deep house subgenre,[2] bridging the gap between the futurism of house and the lush sound of disco.[3][4] His landmark 1986 single "Can You Feel It" would be a major influence on dance music.[5]

Larry Heard - Can You Feel It (1986)

So he invented the whole "deep house" thing. All I know about deep house is via Ben Watt. Ben Watt is one half of Everything But The Girl. Perhaps you remember that "Missing" song that was popular during the 90's.

Not exactly deep house though.

This, on the other hand, is.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:36 pm

Two other well known 90's electronic pieces that I like:

This one is apparently based on a traditional song from Solomon Islands called "Rorogwela Lullaby" and sang by a girl named Afunakwa. It's actually my favorite. They did a trance version later on where they used English vocals. And though I liked the vocal part I disliked everything else about it.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:40 pm

Silly song from my youth...

https://youtu.be/lKcpodt0YCU
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:09 am

pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Meno_ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:26 am

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:49 pm

That's one of my favorite Bach pieces, Meno. I say that as someone who is not particularly fond of Bach.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:32 am

An otherwise uninteresting flamenco piece but that part between 2:16 and 4:11 is just too good.

Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 pm

I have yet to look into this "metaverse" bullshit that has been talked about for quite a while now but I guess it's something along the lines of what is portrayed in this video.

Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:09 am

_
That has to be the coolest [to me] flamenco track I’ve ever heard, but you had to go spoil it with that Guetta/Sia track. #-o ..it’s very Powerpuff Girls/meant to appeal to a younger 'Metaverse' crowd?

Magnus Anderson wrote:An otherwise uninteresting flamenco piece but that part between 2:16 and 4:11 is just too good.

MagsJ

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:45 pm

Steve Stevens is the Top Gun Anthem guy. I am not particularly fond of that song. He's also known for being Billy Idol's guitarist. He's also known for collaborating with Juno Reactor, a well-known psy-trance group, on tracks such as Pistolero. He tried doing that glam rock thing back in the 80's but it obviously didn't work well for him. Atomic Playboys and Power of Suggestion are perhaps the best known songs from that album. At some point, he switched to new flamenco. If I recall correctly, it was after attending Paco de Lucia concert. He released that 1999 "Flamenco A Go Go" album on which "Hanina" is featured. He also cooperated with Terry Bozio and Tony Levin on the "Bozzio Levin Stevens" project (I think they released two albums or so.) And in 2008, he released "Memory Crash", an album that blends instrumental rock with new flamenco.

I still think "Flamenco A Go Go" his best effort to date and "Cinecitta" his best song (not counting his work with Billy Idol.)

Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:20 am

The best part is between 00:58 and 01:54.

The vocal parts have always been weak, so this one really only starts at around 01:22 which is when the supersaw shower kicks in. But the best part is really the end of it, starting at around 2:33.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Motor Daddy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:42 am

Marie was so hot! Awesome voice!

Motor Daddy
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:25 pm

Perhaps one of the cutest videos/songs from the 80's. Only young Kylie Minogue can rival it. Too bad the sad turn of events (and the story behind the video) kind of ruins it.

Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:14 pm

_
Me, when the [hidden] msg hits. :lol:

NF Has the No. 1 Album in the Country, and He Sounds Miserable

The rapper emerged from the Christian rap scene with Eminem-esque pop hits. Both he and YBN Cordae emphasize old-fashioned hip-hop values.

__
..finding these harmonics, beautiful.

MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:00 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:That's one of my favorite Bach pieces, Meno. I say that as someone who is not particularly fond of Bach.

I used to think of the Saint Matthew Passion the sane way.

Now I am slowly beginning to appreciate it's length.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:29 pm

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:30 pm

pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby origami » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:29 am

A little Hatcha.

Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:22 am

Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment