Dead Ringer Awards

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Dead Ringer Awards

Postby von Rivers » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:40 pm

Give an award to the poster who reminds you of someone famous...

Urwrongx1000 - Mr. Smee (Captain Hook's sidekick)

Magnus Anderson - Peregrin Took

iambidextrous - the whack-a-mole game

Silhouette and Mr. Kropotkin - Beebop and Rocksteady (tmnt)

Ecmandu - Morpheus (from The Matrix)

promethean - the Hamburgler, from the old mcdonalds commercials
von Rivers
ILP Legend

Re: Dead Ringer Awards

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:31 pm

von Rivers wrote:Give an award to the poster who reminds you of someone famous...

Urwrongx1000 - Mr. Smee (Captain Hook's sidekick)

Magnus Anderson - Peregrin Took

Silhouette and Mr. Kropotkin - Beebop and Rocksteady (tmnt)

Ecmandu - Morpheus (from The Matrix)

promethean - the Hamburgler, from the old mcdonalds commercials

K: I must say, I have absolutely no idea who "Beebop or Rocksteady"
is... I have a feeling I am not missing anything...and no don't tell me, I don't care...

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:29 pm

von Rivers wrote:

Was there a fourth Stooge? :lol:

By the way, Mo, you're up on our exchange here:

iambiguous wrote:
von Rivers wrote:
iamphibious,

Sadly, we can't. As a nihilist, you hold the view that there are no right or wrong answers to these questions. --At least not that we could know of. So, without a criterion of moral truth to decide which claims are false and which claims are true, there's really no point in us discussing it. Neither up there, nor down here.

No, I note only that given the manner in which I come to understand morality as embedded in the arguments I make in my signature threads, right and wrong answers reflect the embodiment of "I" as dasein out in a particular world, understood in a particular way. At the existential juncture of identity, value judgments and political economy.

Others however insist that there are in fact criteria/fonts for moral and political truths -- in God, in pantheism, in ideology, in reason, in deontological intellectual/philosophical contraptions. Et cetera.

All I can then suggest is that they take these "objectivist" moral narratives and political agendas and explore them with me given a set of circumstances -- from "the news" say -- that most here are likely to be familiar with.

Sure, we may well go around and around and in the same circles as before, but, well, what else is there? At least until one of these objectivists is in fact able to link me to demonstrable evidence that confirms his or her own convictions.

von Rivers wrote:The only thing I'd ask a nihilist, (or a solipsist), is... how's that view working out for ya?

Not too good. I am still convinced that human interactions unfold in an essentially meaningless No God world that will end one day in the obliteration of "I'' for all the rest of eternity. Unless, of course, you count "star stuff".

But I have never approached "the pursuit of wisdom" in philosophy as revolving around thoughts and feelings that are aimed basically at comforting and consoling me. Coming up with an understanding of "I" out in the world around me that is the least discomfiting. Instead, I have to go where the arguments in my signature threads actually take me.

von Rivers wrote:Things going well?

Actually, in the interim, yes. I'm not afflicted with any life-threatening health issues. I've got tons of things that I enjoy doing. Music, film, books, art, following the news, PBS, the Science Channel. Things that still bring me enormous amounts of fulfilment and satisfaction.

And since I reject objectivism, I'm not tied down to one or another moral and political dogma that ever and always requires me to do only the right thing. A lot more options in other words.

And yourself?

Anyway, if you do bump into others who would like to reconfigure ILP back to the days when the discussions were considerably more, well, challenging, tap them on the shoulder and invite them over.

You can even warn them about me. :wink:

Let's take it out of Rant so that more members can grasp how that whack-a-mole reference is applicable to me.

If nothing else we can pursue it as a couple of avid polemicists. Something a bit more challenging perhaps than the stuff I get from the Stooges. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382

"Gail, it’s as if someone dared 2020 to get worse, and 2020 replied: 'Just try me.' Right now I’m just sitting on my porch, awaiting a plague of locusts." Bret Stephens
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:01 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
K: I must say, I have absolutely no idea who "Beebop or Rocksteady"
is... I have a feeling I am not missing anything...and no don't tell me, I don't care...

Kropotkin

That's not the point. The point is to show us how "clever" he is. In other words, the "right people" here know what he means. And know why it's clever.

Unless, of course, that's not the point at all.

Mo, tell us what prompted this "clever" thread.

And what, in your view, is the closest that actual philosophers can come to assessing its worth? 8)
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

"Gail, it’s as if someone dared 2020 to get worse, and 2020 replied: 'Just try me.' Right now I’m just sitting on my porch, awaiting a plague of locusts." Bret Stephens
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby von Rivers » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Humorous awards ceremony, iambulance.

Thick skin. Thick skin. We all must have.
von Rivers
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:22 pm

von Rivers wrote:Humorous awards ceremony, iambulance.

Note to others:

You tell me what to make of it. As humorously as you can.

He said, whacking yet another Mo? :lol:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 am

Stop bitchin biggs. At least you didn't get the hamburgler.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby von Rivers » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Fixed Cross - Beadle Bamford (from Sweeny Todd)
von Rivers
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 am

von Rivers wrote:Humorous awards ceremony, iambulance.

Too bad looks can kill!

Am I really dead?

taken out of reference, really ?

I'm dead. But so, who am i, really? The undead, the One that can't die.
Meno_
ILP Legend

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat