Joker Here.

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Joker Here.

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Zero_Sum wrote: What does Biggie even mean by saying exploring stuff with me anyways? He's pretty vague as usual, scratch that, he's the king of vagueness. He complains about nothing being substantive, that coming from a nihilistic subjectivist is pretty hilarious.

On the contrary, when asking others to explore their own sense of identity as it is embodied in the behaviors that they choose given the moral and political value judgments they subscribe to, I ask them to please read the arguments I make in my signature threads.

They encompass my own assumptions regarding a discussion out in the deep end of the philosophical pool.

Then in regard to a particular set of circumstances, I ask them to assess the extent to which this...

If I am always of the opinion that 1] my own values are rooted in dasein and 2] that there are no objective values "I" can reach, then every time I make one particular moral/political leap, I am admitting that I might have gone in the other direction...or that I might just as well have gone in the other direction. Then "I" begins to fracture and fragment to the point there is nothing able to actually keep it all together. At least not with respect to choosing sides morally and politically.

...is or is not applicable to themselves in regard to the behaviors they choose, when those behaviors are challenged by others.

On the philosophy board. An intelligent and civil exchange.

In other words, take these accusation...

Zero_Sum wrote: He then complains about people's style, interpretation, expression, or foundation of thinking, this coming from a person who denies all objectivIsm showing his true colors once again. It's all so tedious and tiresome.

...to the philosophy board and, in the exchange, note in particular when I do these things.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Zero_Sum wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Zero_Sum wrote:For now on when referring to Biggie we say he is an objectivist pretending not to be one, it's the only thing that makes sense with him.

And this is Pedro stuff. What's next, that I'm "dirty commie bastard"? :lol:

Interesting you say that considering as a so called nihilist you sympathize with the neoliberals and Marxists the most every time your personal politics are concerned. For a nihilist your bias certainly shows.

Again, this "assessment" is Wendy Darling Kidstuff. #-o
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Zero_Sum » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:05 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Again, this "assessment" is Wendy Darling Kidstuff. #-o

So you're a neo-liberal Marxist pretending to be a nihilist, got it. Promethean is a more consistent nihilist than you'll ever be.
Zero_Sum
Special Commisar Joker

Location: The People's Republic of the U.S.S.A - My pronouns are 'Fuck You'-

Postby Zero_Sum » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

I'll tell you what Biggie, if you really want to get to know me just ask your questions straight forward and I'll respond, however, I'm not going to play your silly philosophical games upon some sort of "dasein" contingent.
Zero_Sum
Special Commisar Joker

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Look, I once explained my reaction to the "new ILP" to prom75:

Me? Well, my own story here might be construed as particularly bathetic. Back before various "social media" like twitter and facebook and reddit became the preferred platforms for philosophy and, well, practically everything else, I was once a member of the larger, more "prestigious" philosophy forum online, The Philosophy Forum: https://thephilosophyforum.com/

But, for posting pretty much the same sort of thing I post here, Postmodern Beatnik -- out of the blue! -- "banned me for life".
Anyway, I went looking for another forum and settled on ILP.

And, back then, there really were far, far, far more discussions started and then sustained by those who, for whatever personal reason, were avid philosophers. Far fewer Kids and "social media" types.

So, basically, I put all my eggs in the ILP basket.

I started my signature threads including quotes, music and film. I commenced my "back to the beginning" series. I contributed any number of posts aimed at precipitating exchanges relating to that which is of most interest to me: how ought one to live given the stark reality that there may or may not be an actual Judgment Day.

Alas, however, ILP has gone more in the direction of the Kids, the yak yak yakkers, and the rabid [often unintelligible] Fixed Jacob objectivists.

But: it's too late for me anyway. I'm an "old man", wallowing in distractions and waiting for godot. But, who knows, if more minds like Mo's and Faust's and Only_Humean's do become attracted to the forum, the Kids and social media types might be shunted aside.
In any event, given my own actual "set of circumstances", it is all now way, way "beyond my control".

Okay, the Kids and "yak yak yak" crowd and the declamatory "liberals are scumbags" reactionaries basically are ILP today. And nothing is really being done to change it.

Hell, I'd settle for the philosophy board alone being a place where actual intelligence could shine.

But it's all now "beyond my control". The Kids and the yak yak yakkers and sub-mental ideologues basically rule the boards.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Zero_Sum » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:17 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Okay, the Kids and "yak yak yak" crowd and the declamatory "liberals are scumbags" reactionaries basically are ILP today. And nothing is really being done to change it.

Hell, I'd settle for the philosophy board alone being a place where actual intelligence could shine.

But it's all now "beyond my control". The Kids and the yak yak yakkers and sub-mental ideologues basically rule the boards.

Yeah, you really do sound like an old man right now yelling at kids to get off your pristine front lawn.

Last edited by Zero_Sum on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero_Sum
Special Commisar Joker

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Zero_Sum wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Look, I once explained my reaction to the "new ILP" to prom75:

Me? Well, my own story here might be construed as particularly bathetic. Back before various "social media" like twitter and facebook and reddit became the preferred platforms for philosophy and, well, practically everything else, I was once a member of the larger, more "prestigious" philosophy forum online, The Philosophy Forum: https://thephilosophyforum.com/

But, for posting pretty much the same sort of thing I post here, Postmodern Beatnik -- out of the blue! -- "banned me for life".
Anyway, I went looking for another forum and settled on ILP.

And, back then, there really were far, far, far more discussions started and then sustained by those who, for whatever personal reason, were avid philosophers. Far fewer Kids and "social media" types.

So, basically, I put all my eggs in the ILP basket.

I started my signature threads including quotes, music and film. I commenced my "back to the beginning" series. I contributed any number of posts aimed at precipitating exchanges relating to that which is of most interest to me: how ought one to live given the stark reality that there may or may not be an actual Judgment Day.

Alas, however, ILP has gone more in the direction of the Kids, the yak yak yakkers, and the rabid [often unintelligible] Fixed Jacob objectivists.

But: it's too late for me anyway. I'm an "old man", wallowing in distractions and waiting for godot. But, who knows, if more minds like Mo's and Faust's and Only_Humean's do become attracted to the forum, the Kids and social media types might be shunted aside.
In any event, given my own actual "set of circumstances", it is all now way, way "beyond my control".

Yeah, you really do sound like an old man right now yelling at kids to get off your pristine front lawn.

See, I told you! Pure unadulterated crap.

You know, if I do say so myself.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Poor iam.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Meno_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:25 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Poor iam.

He is a big boy, he can take it!
Meno_
breathless

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:30 am

Quite the contrary. I still have any number activities in my life that bring me enormous fulfillment and satisfaction. And though I have health problems, none of them are even remotely life threatening.

Instead, for the few hours a day I come in here. And I can't help but recall how much more fulfilling the experience was when the posters by and large actually did seem to love philosophy.

Most of them are gone. Perhaps because of me in regard to this...

1] I argue that while philosophers may go in search of wisdom, this wisdom is always truncated by the gap between what philosophers think they know [about anything] and all that there is to be known in order to grasp the human condition in the context of existence itself. That bothers some. When it really begins to sink in that this quest is ultimately futile, some abandon philosophy altogether. Instead, they stick to the part where they concentrate fully on living their lives "for all practical purposes" from day to day.

2] I suggest in turn it appears reasonable that, in a world sans God, the human brain is but more matter wholly in sync [as a part of nature] with the laws of matter. And, thus, anything we think, feel, say or do is always only that which we were ever able to think, feel, say and do. And that includes philosophers. Some will inevitably find that disturbing. If they can't know for certain that they possess autonomy, they can't know for certain that their philosophical excursions are in fact of their own volition.

3] And then the part where, assuming some measure of autonomy, I suggest that "I" in the is/ought world is basically an existential contraption interacting with other existential contraptions in a world teeming with conflicting goods --- and in contexts in which wealth and power prevails in the political arena. The part where "I" becomes fractured and fragmented.

But mostly I suspect because the Kids and "yak yak yak" social media clowns and the pinhead objectivists have overrun the place with endless "chit chat" exchanges and scathing declamatory attacks on [mostly] liberals.

Though of course: If I do say so myself.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:40 am

iambiguous wrote:

Quite the contrary. I still have any number activities in my life that bring me enormous fulfillment and satisfaction. And though I have health problems, none of them are even remotely life threatening.

Instead, for the few hours a day I come in here. And I can't help but recall how much more fulfilling the experience was when the posters by and large actually did seem to love philosophy.

Most of them are gone. Perhaps because of me in regard to this...

1] I argue that while philosophers may go in search of wisdom, this wisdom is always truncated by the gap between what philosophers think they know [about anything] and all that there is to be known in order to grasp the human condition in the context of existence itself. That bothers some. When it really begins to sink in that this quest is ultimately futile, some abandon philosophy altogether. Instead, they stick to the part where they concentrate fully on living their lives "for all practical purposes" from day to day.

2] I suggest in turn it appears reasonable that, in a world sans God, the human brain is but more matter wholly in sync [as a part of nature] with the laws of matter. And, thus, anything we think, feel, say or do is always only that which we were ever able to think, feel, say and do. And that includes philosophers. Some will inevitably find that disturbing. If they can't know for certain that they possess autonomy, they can't know for certain that their philosophical excursions are in fact of their own volition.

3] And then the part where, assuming some measure of autonomy, I suggest that "I" in the is/ought world is basically an existential contraption interacting with other existential contraptions in a world teeming with conflicting goods --- and in contexts in which wealth and power prevails in the political arena. The part where "I" becomes fractured and fragmented.

But mostly I suspect because the Kids and "yak yak yak" social media clowns and the pinhead objectivists have overrun the place with endless "chit chat" exchanges and scathing declamatory attacks on [mostly] liberals.

Though of course: If I do say so myself.

I wish you were here biggy!
Meno_
breathless

Postby Meno_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 am

Meno_
breathless

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:45 am

New posts today at ILP? Nearly 40 threads. A lot of activity of late. But the first 25 [at 6:30 PM] are not on the philosophy board. In fact only 2 threads are on the philosophy board. One from me and one from zinnat

#-o

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:52 am

No bot here though, right:

I'm sitting on my couch, watching a video of the alabama/lsu game while smoking a bong and waiting for chinese food to be delivered. I was thinking of getting someone over here to clean the place. This is usually what I'm doing, I've seen this game about 130-140 times now. Or I'm in the bathroom someplace, bored and using my phone to post on message boards while I poop.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:03 am

iambiguous wrote:

No bot here though, right:

I'm sitting on my couch, watching a video of the alabama/lsu game while smoking a bong and waiting for chinese food to be delivered. I was thinking of getting someone over here to clean the place. This is usually what I'm doing, I've seen this game about 130-140 times now. Or I'm in the bathroom someplace, bored and using my phone to post on message boards while I poop.

No only here

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 8#p2785038
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 am

i think my thread broke him lol
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:i think my thread broke him lol

Me? It broke the whole fucking ILP community! :cry: :( #-o :oops: :x

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 am

Lol poor iam.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:55 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Lol poor iam.

Didn't I already explain this to you?

Or are you the bot? :lol:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:32 pm

iambiguous wrote:Didn't I already explain this to you?

I don't know I wasn't really listening.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
iambiguous wrote:Didn't I already explain this to you?

I don't know I wasn't really listening.

Not only that, but you're wanted here: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 4&t=196143 8)

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:01 pm

More importantly, though, you are wanted here: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 1&t=196136
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:28 am

promethean75 wrote:"dumping dozens of two or three line "posts" in dozens of different threads that reconfigure ILP into just another social media wasteland."

Hey that's what I do. You leave zero sum and the rest of the fine people at ILP out if this goddamit.

i would rather read a post about someone taking a shit than go back over the whole dasein thing with the human bot of ilp

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:29 am

iambiguous wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:i think my thread broke him lol

Me? It broke the whole fucking ILP community! :cry: :( #-o :oops: :x

bruh u r the more triggered than anyone has ever been triggered in all of history do you think abt me all the time?

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat