What's for dinner?

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 pm

An elephant.

The strong act as they may, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Nietzsche's Heritage; The Philosophy of the Future - Some Music - The Magical Tree of Life
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:An elephant.

not gonna lie i would probably try some
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 pm

ive never really cooked much of anything in a crock pot but one presented itself to me and i decided to freeball it and try and see what happens if i throw a bunch of shit in there. so i got these 2 tri-tips total about 4 or 5 lbs and seared them in a skillet full of bacon grease from last night. then i halved a bunch of potatoes, chopped some carrots and onion, broke up and threw in 2 whole heads of garlic, a bunch of rosemary and salt, pepper, etc. poured in a liter of beef stock and then just threw these 2 big seared chunks on top and am just gonna leave it until i'm too hungry to not just start eating it and see how it goes.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210511-145751_Gallery (1).jpg
Screenshot_20210511-145751_Gallery (1).jpg (175.05 KiB) Viewed 46 times

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 pm

gonna be real right now the shit smells pretty good. i want it like falling apart at that point where you can just kind of cut it with a fork. i think it'll get there.

should i just throw some of that leftover bacon grease in the pot?

ive never done this before.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:
Fixed Cross wrote:An elephant.

not gonna lie i would probably try some

I doubt it would be very tasty. Youd hear about it otherwise and if you look at their skin, meats probably best in dried strips. Youd have a whole truckload of them though.

Looks good by the way, specially the bacon grease sounds great.

One thing you ought to try out is once this. Its Indonesian soy based flavoring but its the best thing youll find in this category. The dutch have this as a standard ingredient in each kitchen.
https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi1 ... RUQAvD_BwE

One drop of this in some scrambled eggs is insane. It can be used virtually in anything thats roasty. A drop in the smothering onions and mushrooms of steak-gravy is inanely savorish.
Last edited by Fixed Cross on Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Thucydides
Nietzsche's Heritage; The Philosophy of the Future - Some Music - The Magical Tree of Life
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 pm

i think if you cooked some elephant for long enough to render the fatty parts down into a gelatinous goo that deliciousness would be inevitable. is there anything that you can't slow cook for long enough to make it delicious? you'd maybe have to season it with some pretty strong stuff but ive got a feeling that there's a way

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 pm

here is one of the most amazing things that you can do at 3am.

fry bacon.

then....

throw some bread in the skillet and make bacon fat toast.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 pm

FUCK YOU ARTERIES

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:19 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:i think if you cooked some elephant for long enough to render the fatty parts down into a gelatinous goo that deliciousness would be inevitable. is there anything that you can't slow cook for long enough to make it delicious? you'd maybe have to season it with some pretty strong stuff but ive got a feeling that there's a way

I guess but then these things get really old.
And I dont know if Id be down to eat a baby elephant dude.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:19 pm

sometimes i think about how back in the caveman days you could just eat a dinosaur steak straight off the fire

then this friend of mine who is all mr bible college religious historian guy is like...

bruh cavemen and dinosaurs weren't even around at the same time

and im like

fuck you man you don't know that

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Id rather eat hippo.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:i think if you cooked some elephant for long enough to render the fatty parts down into a gelatinous goo that deliciousness would be inevitable. is there anything that you can't slow cook for long enough to make it delicious? you'd maybe have to season it with some pretty strong stuff but ive got a feeling that there's a way

I guess but then these things get really old.
And I dont know if Id be down to eat a baby elephant dude.

i mean i dunno if i'd wanna kill it and be the one to make that move

but if i rolled up on a cookout and that's what they were already serving i mean i could try some since at that point the only ethical decision lift would be to at least not let it go to waste

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Id rather eat hippo.

can you fry it's skin like a pork rind?

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 pm

Although, they might be blubbery.

I was thinking since I like fish maybe they have something sea-food ish as well maybe something boarish.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:25 pm

thats what im talking about man. pretty much every other living thing in the world besides ourselves are basically just food. why are we not out here eating all kinds of shit? like what if hippo was better than lobster or a wagyu steak and we don't even know it?

could you imagine like a massive hippo farm somewhere in iowa or something with like tens of thousands of them just lined up for slaughter rolling around in mud and shit?

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:26 pm

If its all there is out there to eat, but Id still feel pretty gnarly killing a baby animal in general. I dont eat baby chickens either that I know of, except I guess at kfc.

but if i rolled up on a cookout and that's what they were already serving i mean i could try some since at that point the only ethical decision lift would be to at least not let it go to waste

I would be very interested. But not if it was cat, or eagle - I think Id not like to eat eagle.

Its not so much ethics as general appreciation of character. I wouldnt eat my friends either even if Id be a canibal.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:27 pm

i used to live near a place that had an ostrich steak on the menu and that thing was fucking legit man. why aren't there ostrich steaks everywhere? and octopus legs. char that bitch on an open flame my man. each octopus has 8 of them. those should really be more available to the casual consumer of lunch

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:

If its all there is out there to eat, but Id still feel pretty gnarly killing a baby animal in general. I dont eat baby chickens either that I know of, except I guess at kfc.

I would be very interested. But not if it was cat, or eagle - I think Id not like to eat eagle.

Its not so much ethics as general appreciation of character. I wouldnt eat my friends either even if Id be a canibal.

i ordered some tiny chicken a spatchcock poussin or something not long ago and it came out just cut down the middle and spread out on a plate and it was so tiny and at first i felt kinda weird but it was fucking delicious. i don't think i would want to live in a world without veal. the eagle is cool and all, but man i bet that shit is rich and gamey and delicious.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:thats what im talking about man. pretty much every other living thing in the world besides ourselves are basically just food. why are we not out here eating all kinds of shit? like what if hippo was better than lobster or a wagyu steak and we don't even know it?

could you imagine like a massive hippo farm somewhere in iowa or something with like tens of thousands of them just lined up for slaughter rolling around in mud and shit?

Iowa... lol I dont know but the idea is great. More like the Bayou maybe? Cajun fried hippo skin... this sounds delicious.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:30 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:i used to live near a place that had an ostrich steak on the menu and that thing was fucking legit man. why aren't there ostrich steaks everywhere? and octopus legs. char that bitch on an open flame my man. each octopus has 8 of them. those should really be more available to the casual consumer of lunch

Octopuses actually have several brains, one for each couple of legs. Aside. Octopus brain could also be a good food item for in sashimis Im thinking.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:32 pm

omg dude you're right. put some of this on it. blackened fried hippo skins put those bitches in a bag and sell them like chips

if you were only going to have one seasoning to represent louisiana, it would have to be this one. if what you're eating wasn't coated in this shit before it went on the heat, then it isn't really properly "blackened".

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Blacke ... 67PASFKFWQ

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:i used to live near a place that had an ostrich steak on the menu and that thing was fucking legit man. why aren't there ostrich steaks everywhere? and octopus legs. char that bitch on an open flame my man. each octopus has 8 of them. those should really be more available to the casual consumer of lunch

Octopuses actually have several brains, one for each couple of legs. Aside. Octopus brain could also be a good food item for in sashimis Im thinking.

probably got all kinds of alpha oils and aminos acids and all that shit like eating some bone marrow

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:i ordered some tiny chicken a spatchcock poussin or something not long ago and it came out just cut down the middle and spread out on a plate and it was so tiny and at first i felt kinda weird but it was fucking delicious. i don't think i would want to live in a world without veal. the eagle is cool and all, but man i bet that shit is rich and gamey and delicious.

An eagle Id definitely only eat if I was the one who killed it. Of course Id expect it to be a remarkable meal.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:36 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:omg dude you're right. put some of this on it. blackened fried hippo skins put those bitches in a bag and sell them like chips

if you were only going to have one seasoning to represent louisiana, it would have to be this one. if what you're eating wasn't coated in this shit before it went on the heat, then it isn't really properly "blackened".

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Blacke ... 67PASFKFWQ

I think thats the best idea of the lot. Though yeah no doubt, you could probably even sell octopus brain in capsules.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 pm

But that would be a waste of the taste, what am I thinking.

In Korea by the way Ive seen they eat live seafood, its a big trend now.

Went looking for a video but no thanks.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat