MagsJ appreciation thread

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

On Value and Fact

Postby MagsJ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:10 am

_
On Value and Fact

Facts and values are two distinctly different things, to me.. one is definitive, whereas the other requires discernment.

Facts require hard evidence, values do not.. values only require a reaction to external stimuli, to prove that they exist, and are pertinent to us.. if no-body else.

I use definitive to categorise "statements of fact" and discernment to categorise "statements of value", to differentiate between the two.. in my mind, thus allowing me to separate fact from fiction, and so make better judgement-calls, decisions, and choices.. with ease.

Value: I initially discern if something is aesthetically-pleasing to me or not, next.. to what degree it is or isn’t pleasing to me, and lastly.. whether I like it, want it, want to buy it, etc.. or not.

Fact: Pizza is delicious (a feeling), but I am highly allergic to it and to all processed foods (a fact), so I choose not to eat pizza nor all other processed foods (a decision).

Time: Can a person have felt differently, from how they had initially felt at the time? That doesn’t make sense and so cannot be, as we can feel differently after the initial reaction to a stimuli.. due to a change of heart and/or mind, but that cannot change the initial feeling we initially had, as such changes are time-dependent (after the fact) and not just whim-dependent (in the initial moment).

Thank you..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Re: MagsJ appreciation thread

Postby promethean75 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:53 pm

This is basically sound and I agree. Values are real, but not the same kinds of properties that are talked about with indicative statements. Confusing 'tr he cat is on the mat' as the same kind of truth as 'the icecream is delicious' is the first wrong turn.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:04 pm

promethean75 wrote:This is basically sound and I agree. Values are real, but not the same kinds of properties that are talked about with indicative statements. Confusing 'tr he cat is on the mat' as the same kind of truth as 'the icecream is delicious' is the first wrong turn.

Indeed.. as the former is definitive, the latter discerning, so.. truth/value, hard evidence/a judgement call.. though with the latter being a subjective valuing, it can be viewed as almost being an objective fact, if the vast majority feel the same way about it, but not quite.. so give or take a few percent.

The former also relies on logic and reasoning, the latter on feeling and judging.. so extrinsic/intrinsic, impersonal/personal etc.

There shouldn’t be any confusion or mystery, in distinguishing fact/truth from fiction/value, as they are arrived at by different mental means.. though rarely can a dichotomy arise, where an indistinguishabilty creates an unsureness in the categorisation process of definitions.

Just as many people hate anchovies as rave about them.. and whisky, and caviar, and wine, and fruitcake, and many many other foods.. so definitely down to a matter of taste, not truth.

The cat is on the mat is a given, and doesn’t even need contending.. the cat likes being on the mat? now that is a contentious issue and therefore up for question.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 am

Just jumping in here to further appreciate Magsj.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:03 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Just jumping in here to further appreciate Magsj.

:wink:

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:11 am

_
Photog: B&W

68AD7D12-8594-438F-99AE-C7217F7DE9CB.jpeg
68AD7D12-8594-438F-99AE-C7217F7DE9CB.jpeg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 425 times

Drawing: Black ink on white 100gsm, drawn from sculpture not photo

B058CA66-3431-4595-8FFF-D6ED2F863D13.jpeg
B058CA66-3431-4595-8FFF-D6ED2F863D13.jpeg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 430 times
MagsJ

Postby phoneutria » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Pretty good, mags!
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby Dan~ » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:28 pm

That is great art skills.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm

phoneutria wrote:Pretty good, mags!

Cheers poppet. :)

You ain’t too bad yourself. ; )

I’m thinking of/trying to, get back into art and drawing, but I need a bit more inspiration, as my will-to-want-to is still very very lacking.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Dan~ wrote:That is great art skills.

Thanks pal!

That was from 3 decades/31 years back.

Not sure what ma Art and card-sculpting skillz are like now, but I’ll soon be finding out. :P That was my favourite concept to create and encapsulate, so probably best for me to start there.. with what I actually enjoy doing and gain pleasure from.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:39 pm

_
Groucho and I.. mon favori comedienne, pour tout le temps.

92D95EB6-9D5E-4225-B7AF-E7DFE20B2916.jpeg
92D95EB6-9D5E-4225-B7AF-E7DFE20B2916.jpeg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Work in blue, a Picasso piece.. deconstructed, then reconstructed,
in blue.

EEC3595A-C39E-4DD1-ABED-26ED1C2A0079.jpeg
EEC3595A-C39E-4DD1-ABED-26ED1C2A0079.jpeg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Concept, object, (amended to add), concept.. again, colours = finished piece.. bleu
et vert, mon couleurs favori.

B8E1FD02-9B7C-4220-93E9-759723E5852B.jpeg
B8E1FD02-9B7C-4220-93E9-759723E5852B.jpeg (31.7 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Last edited by MagsJ on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:33 am

_
All a-lo-ong.

This is Vanity Fair: please remember, Vanity Fair is a very vain wicked foolish
place.. not a moral place certainly, nor a merry one though, very noisy.. a world
where everyone is striving, for what is not worth having.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:19 pm

MagsJ wrote:Waking up.. from a dream, within a dream, within a dream, within a dream
Dreamt for countless years, slowly turning into nightmares, as the years rolled by
Nightmare horrors turning into daytime realities, and morphing into daymares
And now, all being replaced by the sculpting properties of metallurgy.

After a few weeks off all work-outs, it’s back to ^^^ come Monday :D

Can’t wait for those endorphins to hit!
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:12 pm

MagsJ wrote:After a few weeks off all work-outs, it’s back to ^^^ come Monday :D

Can’t wait for those endorphins to hit!

Yea, well this never happened, so.. after another coupla weeks off,
I plan to do a short midnight workout, of squats, and push-ups, and planks..

Consistency is not the major factor here, as it’s more about maintenance,
so no stressing about that, as less is more.. on the matter of maintenance,
so too much is counterproductive, for accruing maintenance gains.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:37 am

_
I wonder if I’ll get a post-workout ache,
from a 1 (tri)-set workout.. better not. :-s
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:17 pm

My heart! (revisited..)

My heart, it sometimes bleeds pink..
But often times, it(‘s) bleeds blue..
It bleeds mostly blue.. for (because of) you.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:32 am

_
Gettin lit

740CEE8B-174F-4FA3-B967-86E27C430A12.jpeg
740CEE8B-174F-4FA3-B967-86E27C430A12.jpeg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 253 times
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:40 am

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:11 am

_
I’m currently appreciating K-pop tonight..

Last edited by MagsJ on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:28 am

_
..A boy :romance-inlove:

I could watch this guy dance for hours..

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:48 am

_
The epitome of my Asian side :P

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:13 am

_
Wondrin what I’m gonna try from this list first.. :-s

MagsJ

Postby Great Again » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:30 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
On, the Vikings French and Germans..

These ancestral lineages are mostly on the maternal side of the family, with
some being on the paternal side.. but to a lesser extent. My main interest lays
with those that became the Anglos and French-Romans, whom both derived from
the Viking-Scandinavians.

Try to decipher:

Try.png
Try.png (19.04 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Great Again

Postby MagsJ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:30 pm

_
First word ‘Vikings’? I’ve been snowed under since deciphering that first word on Monday, so.. tbc.
MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:35 pm

If You need to share complicated lineages, or wouldn't mind, my third half comes from the original 'Magyar' which comes from Asian transcontinental migration from outer Mongolia, which still is a viable nation.

So Asia covers a very large map either ways.
Meno_
breathless

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat